Chapter Two: The Family

Chapter Two: The Family

A Chapter by KAREN
"

Two families have to try and cope with the possibilities of their loved ones having cancer.

"
     The Rustic Cafe hummed with lots of chatter from hungry customers. A Patty Loveless song played on the juke box in the back, Teach Me How to Say Goodbye. Tears poured from Faye's eyes, every else of her soul ached for her daughter, Jade. How could she say goodbye if it came to that? A sob spilled out, no amount of afford could keep her tears at bay.
     Bradford walked up behind his wife. "Are you okay?"


     "No, I'm not. I can't lose Jade." She grabbed a napkin from its holder and wiped her eyes.


     "We have to keep praying. Doctor Bell is the best." Bradford tried to act like everything was going to be alright, but he just wasn't sure.

     "Steak Burger up!" Dan, their cook, set the burger in the window.


     The bell over the door rung as a woman entered the Rustic. Her appearance and the way she carried herself made her look narcissistic. She set her Felicity Satchel on the counter as she slid her shades up onto strawberry blonde hair. "I need a Macadamia Nut coffee."

     "Meatloaf up!"

     "Is Elegance opened yet?" She looked around the room, her lip curled in distaste.

     "What's Elegance?" Faye asked.

     "It's a restaurant." She looked appalled. "Fine dining is what it will be."

     "Do I know you?" 

     "I'm Donna Smith." A light blinked on in her mind. "You're Jade's mom, right?" She took the coffee.

     "I am."

     Donna took a sip of the coffee. Her brows furrowed in anger. "This is horrible." 

     Faye looked shocked as realization came to her. "And you're Kelly's mom." She handed her money back to her. "Sorry the coffee isn't to your liking."

     "How is Jade doing? Kelly told me she looks anorexic." Slowly a grinned stretched crossed her fake tanned face. "It's a good thing she didn't get head cheerleader."

     Anger made a lump from in her throat. "Tell your daughter Jade's not anorexic!" Everyone in the room stopped eating and stared. Faye had to lean on the counter to hold herself up.

     Her smile disintegrated as she grabbed her fancy purse. "I hope she gets the help she needs." Donna's smile had turned to an evil smirk. 

     Bradford made his way toward his wife. "Who in the world was that?"

     "Donna Smith, Kelly's mom. You remember the young girl that got head cheerleader over Jade?" Faye was so angry her body trembled. "Kelly has started a rumor that Jade is anorexic."

     His eyes darkened as he mulled over what he had just been told. "Are you serious?"  Bradford gazed out the vast glass window. Donna had already vanished. 

     "I'm so mad I could scream. This is the last thing Jade needs to get wind of."

     Bradford took a moment to embrace Faye. Then, he whispered a prayer only God and the two of them heard. "She'll be okay. " But he wasn't so sure.

     Lola entered the Rustic Cafe, hoping to find out what was wrong with Jade. When she saw Jade's parents crying fear gripped her gut. "Is Jade dying?" Lola blurted out.

     Faye and Bradford stood speechless.

     "I'm sorry. She just looks so sick."

     "We'll no more tomorrow." Braford took Lola's hand. "Jade is going through a rough time."

     "Is it serious?" Lola held her breath in anticipation. 

     "It could be." Faye swallowed a lump in her throat. "We're just trying tp pray and keep the faith."

     "I'll be praying too. I better get back to school." Lola left feeling more uncertain about the well-being of her only friend.
*****************************************************************
     Elegance has a certain charm, Gail thought as she peered around the dining room. She glanced up at the Tilda Chrome Crystal Chandelier. Its glow was beautiful. The restaurant would open in a matter of hours, and all Gail could do was think about her son, Devon. She placed a Gold Acrylic Goblet Candle Holder Flower Ball Stand on an Izzy Sliver Dining Table. Once again, she stared at the soft glow of the light, allowing it to surround her with its peaceful glow.

     Anthony, her husband hurried in with three Gold Wood Chiavari chairs. "The truck is here." As he headed back to the entrance, he stopped to admire the enormous aquarium. Several Lionfish swam about, each one unique. The maroon color with the white strips along the body and the fins was fascinating to him. Watching them somehow relieved the agony he was feeling over Devon.

     "Will Devon be able to cook tonight?" Chef Oliver asked.

     Gail walked up and Anthony took hold of her hand. "He's looking forward to it."

     "All that boy talks about is football and cooking." Gail took in a shaky breath.

     "And Jade." Anthony laughed. "I wish he would get his nerve up and ask her out."

     Oliver glanced around the room. "This is looking nice. I can't wait to cook beside your son tonight."

     "He wants to go to culinary school." Gail couldn't hold back the tears. "I hope it happens for him."

     A bout of fear took hold of Anthony's chest. His heart pounded against his insides. Cold air hit him in the face as two men opened the door bringing in the rest of the chairs. He wanted to be strong for his family, but he was weaking by the minute.

     "Did I leave my camera here?" Deon asked as she rounded the corner. She stopped in her tracks when she saw her mom and dad.  "Mom, Dad. What's wrong? Is it Devon?"

     Anthony felt the adrenaline pumping through his veins. He wanted to head into the restroom and cry and stay there until the nightmare ended. Pressure built up behind his eyes, singling a stress headache. Once again, he watched the Lionfish until a little composure returned.

     Deafening silence rang in Deon's ears. She never liked the sound of silence; it made her crazy. "Is it Devon?" Her voice sounded like someone was choking her.

     "Everything is okay, Deon." Anthony pulled his daughter into a tight embrace.

     "Your camera is in the waiting area." Gail walked over to her daughter. "How is Devon? Have you seen him today?"

     "He's not good. Is something bad wrong with his leg."

     "We'll know more when we see Doctor Bell tomorrow. Devon is going through a tuff time. He may not be able to play football again, and that means no scholarship." Anthony gazed around the room. "It could be bad news. We just have to keep praying."

     Deon stared down at the Earth Green Metallic Epoxy Floor. "Maybe he injured his leg playing football." She could tell both her parents were extremally worried. 

     "You better get on back to school." Gail hugged her daughter. "He's going to be fine."

     The floor length fountain caught Deon's attention. She knew it was childish, but she took some change from her purse and dashed it into the water, wishing Devon was healed. She stared at the ripples in the water as the money floated to the bottom. "God, please help my brother." Then she sadly headed back to school. 
******************************************************************
     Jane rubbed her protruding belly as her son moved inside of her. She leaned her head back against the Rochford Chaise Lounge Chair. A muffled sob slipped through her pale lips. The icy breeze burned her puffy eyes, and left-over chlorine from the pool lingered, burning her throat.  Even though the weather was cool, she loved to lounge by the covered pool and think.

     "It's freezing out here." Larry, her husband said as he sashayed toward her, wearing nothing but a towel around his waist. "Why don't you come inside?" The hair on his arms stood straight up. Goose bumps popped up on his still moist skin.

     A frown etched deeper onto her face at long ago memories of Jade as a baby.  The scent of her soft baby skin filled her nostrils.  All reality vanished as thoughts inundated her mind.

     Wrinkles gathered beneath Larry's eyelids. Are you okay?" Jane flinched at the touch of his icy hands. "Jane?" A wave of panic quickened his pulse. "Are you okay, sweetie?" Placing a hand on her baby bump, Larry hoped to feel him move.  "Is it the baby?" This time he shouted.

     Nausea came out of nowhere. Jane gagged, sat straight up, then flopped back onto her chair. sweat beaded on her forehead even though it was a cold morning. "Jade, please don't hate me." sobs broke loose, and she cried until her chest burned with pain.

     "What is wrong?" Larry kneeled down onto the deck. By now his towel was stiff and he was trembling.

    Jane tried to form words, but her voice appeared muted. 

     "I'm calling an ambulance!" Larry made it to the door, when suddenly she started screaming. He turned and ran back to Jane, almost losing his towel. He held her until she had calmed down. "What is all this about?"

     Tears stung her face and blurred her vision. Jane swung her feet to the side of her chair, rocking back and forth until she got to a standing position. The Pergola leaned forward as she leaned her full body weight against it.

     Larry grabbed his wife's arm. "I haven't fixed that yet!" His voice rose with concern. "I'm going to have it ready for spring flowers. Just like you wanted."

     "Why did you leave us?" Jane stepped back from his touch.

     Confusion settled in his mouth, leaving him unable to speak.  Her question finally sunk in. "You're talking about when I left for Caltech twelve years ago?" Larry thought leaving her was behind them and she had forgiven him. "Who else did I leave?"

     "What?"
     
     "You said, why did you leave us." Larry stared into Jane's eyes, waiting for an explanation.

     Jane waddled toward her husband. "Don't change the subject! If you had stayed things would have turned out differently. We could have been a family."

     "You're not making sense. We are a family now. You, me and our baby boy. How many times do I have to say I'm sorry for leaving? "

     "All you ever wanted was to become an architect. Was it worth being away from us?"

     Larry's eyes flattened. A sharp arrow pierced him right in the heart, and not from cupid; it came right from his wife. "I don't understand why you are bringing this up again after all these years. I thought we have moved passed this. And who is us? I left you to go to school. Who else did I leave?"

     The clinking whistle of the wind hummed in her ears. "I meant me!" The words came out like a falsetto explosion.

     Larry hadn't realized he was crying until a tear fell down his cheek. "I asked you to come with me. Why didn't you?"

     This conversation had gotten way out of hand. A can of worms was about to be opened and Jane wasn't ready for that. "Larry, I'm sorry. I forgave you a long time ago. My hormones are all out of control."

     "Are we okay?" He asked, planting a kiss on her cheek.

     A small cramp came out of nowhere; it took her breath away. "I think I'll go lie down awhile." 

     "I think that's an excellent idea." Larry eyed Jane suspiciously.

     As Jane walked by the gigantic corner window another cramp gripped her. She leaned into the weird window Larry had designed.  The corner window allowed a panoramic view which stretched in front of the home and wrapped around it from all sides. The view was breathtaking and peaceful.

     Searing concern hit Larry again. "Are you okay?"

     "Just admiring the small creek with the sun simmering through the trees." She massaged her back as she entered the master bedroom. The small nook area caught her attention. She felt like a beached whale as she laid down on the Sancerre Twin Daybed. This part of the room was her oasis. A piece of heaven.

     "Wouldn't you be more comfortable on the bed?"

     No answer.

     On tiptoes Larry crept up to the bed. Jane was fast asleep. Every few minutes she would moan. Larry watched a few more minutes before drawing the curtain. He decided to work from home so he could be near his wife. After dressing in a Dusty Gray John Blair-Accent Stripped Jogging Suit he headed to his office.

     Just as he entered his quaint office the phone rang. He had an eerie feeling something was wrong. "Hello."

     Silence.

     "Is anyone there?"

     Boisterous wailing came through the earpiece, making him jump off the floor. When he landed, he stumped his toe. "Darn it!" Pain sheeted up his foot.

     "It's me, Faye." She tried to calm down. The lump in her throat lodged deeper and she couldn't swallow. "I need to talk to Jane."

     "Jane is resting. What's wrong?" Larry hobbled to his chair.

     "Jade is sick. She's been sick off and on for a while now. We took her to a doctor a few weeks ago. They are sending her to a specialist."

     Larry pulled his fingers through his hair. "When?"

     "Tomorrow at two."

     "What are her symptoms?"

     "At first she kept a cold, or a stomach bug. Now she's having nosebleeds, her skin bruises really easy and she's tried all the time."

     Realizing this news was not good at all, Larry began to rock back and forth. "I'll tell Jane when she wakes up. Please keep us posted."

     "I will. Give Jane my love."

     Worried lines adorned Larry's forehead. Jade has always had a special place in his heart.  Memories flooded in like a tidal wave. After he had graduated from Caltech, he came home hoping Jane would have him back. Things were different, she had a little sister. Jade was five when they first met. Jane adored her and was very protective when it came to Jade. But in the end, they did get married, and now about to have a baby boy, although he had to persuade Jane to have a baby. A sudden crash from the other room brought him back to reality.

     "Jane!  Are you okay!" As he entered the room what he saw drain the color from his face. "What's wrong?"

     Jane laid on the floor, clutching her stomach. "My head hurts bad." Vomit was on the bed and floor. "I'm cramping bad." Then she passed out.

     Larry kneeled down beside his wife. He grabbed the phone and called an ambulance. "Please be okay." Larry bowed his head to pray but cried instead.

     

     




      


     

     
  
     

   

     



     

     

     
     


© 2022 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
Please give me feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

He's... Jade's father. Don't know why I know that. Just read this. Will read part three shortly.
Well written.

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by!
This was amazing story telling! I feel sorry for both families!

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you!
KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

My pleasure!
An absolutely gripping story. I look forward to more chapters.

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading!
You brought me in, and you kept me interesting and wanting more. Was an emotional ride in the words my dear friend. I wanted to read and know more.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind review
OMG This story has my definitely has my attention. I have literal goosebumps. This, like the other story, has a few errors; however. it's so well written and, like the first chapter, is very descriptive and allows the audience to feel what the characters feel. The last little bit actually had me scared!! These stories have a bunch of potential so keep at 'em!! I look forward to reading more! :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I'm going to try and edit this chapter too!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2022
Last Updated on March 9, 2022
Tags: Cancer, Sick, Boy, Girl, Family


Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..