Chapter Three: Lies

Chapter Three: Lies

A Chapter by KAREN
"

Will Devon get his courage up to ask Jade out? And will she accept?

"
     Jade took her lunch out to the picnic area where she sat and stared at her pepperoni pizza.  Finally, she motivated herself to take a bite. The after taste that lingered on her tongue caused her to gag, making her shove her plate away. 
     Two tables down Jade noticed Devon Armstrong. He sat staring into space, his food untouched, too. His face held a sad grim expression. Jade studied his amber eyes. Vaporized breaths bubbled around his head from the cool temperature. A flock of brown curls framed his features and resembled the color of fall leaves.
     Tears of despondency ran down Jades cheeks. All she has ever wanted was a date with Devon. But now that she could possibly have cancer that dream died along with many others. A well of sadness caused her shoulders to slump.
     "Are you okay?" Devon couldn't help but noticed how pale and sick Jade looked. He wondered why there was blood all over her clothes.
     Every thought scattered as she looked into those familiar amber eyes. And she wanted to duck under the table from embarrassment. She knew she looked hideous. "I'm okay." But one tear slid down her cheek.
     "I'm Devon Armstrong. We have homeroom together. I ran into you this morning." He grabbed his leg as shooting pain ran through the bone and flesh. "I hurt my leg playing football." There was no way he could tell her he had cancer.
     "I'm Jade Douglas. I had a sinus issue this morning. I get nosebleeds when that happens." She refused to scare him off with her disease called cancer.
     Devon took a seat next to Jade. "You seem upset."
     The tenderness of his voice made her want to share her fear. But she couldn't take the chance of scaring him off. Just having one of those days." 
     Out of nowhere Devon let out a loud yelp as more intense pain penetrated his leg. He peered out of half-closed eyes, fearing he had frightened Jade away.  A tremendous amount of relief slid out his mouth when he saw her still sitting there.
     "Are you okay?" 
     "Yes. I bumped my leg." Devon heaved in a sigh. "Will you go on a date with me?" He couldn't believe he'd just asked Jade out. It would be best if she said no, but oh how he hoped the answer would be yes.
     Stunned, Jade was speechless, then excitement took place. One date with Devon would be harmless. She wouldn't let it get out of control. A relationship was out of the question since she was dying. "I would love to go out with you."
     "Exceptional!" A breath vibrated through pursed lips. "My parents are opening the restaurant called Elegance. 
     "No way! My parents own the Rustic Cafe." Jade smiled as his joy washed over her. "I love to cook." 
     "I'm cooking tonight at Elegance. I want to go to culinary school someday." Doubt began to seep in, knowing that would never happen.
     "I've always wanted to go to school at Le Cordon Bleu." That would never happen now. Her future was chemo, throwing up and becoming bald, and eventually dying.
     "We have so much in common." Devon stood to stretch his leg. "Is there a way you can meet me at the restaurant around seven? I will cook our meal and have dinner with you."
     "Yes, that sounds perfect."
 
     They secretly vowed to their selves that this would be a onetime date.  Neither one was willing to drag the other into their unknown nightmare.
     "I better get to class."
     Jade stood and dizziness overwhelmed her. Suddenly she went down onto the hard concrete. Mortified, she mustered up the best fake laugh she could.
    Dumbfounded, Devon stood speechless for a minute, his eyes as big as a flying saucer. "Are you okay?"
     "I tripped." 
     As Devon took her hands and pulled her to her feet pink flushed onto her cheeks. He held her, staring into eyes of blue: then he planted a soft kiss on her pale lips. Right then and there was all that mattered. He had finally kissed Jade Douglas.
     "I better get to track." Still somewhat shocked up from the fall, or maybe it was the kiss, Jade walked away on cloud nine.
**************************************************
     "You can't run today." Lola's voice held an urgent tone.
     A soft chortle slipped through Jade's lips. "Why not? I am a part of the track team. She jogged in place, trying to warm up. Every else of energy seemed to dissipate.
     "You're not in any shape to run. Please. I'll sit this one out with you."
     Jade stared at Lola with anger. "Watch me!" She took off running toward the track, only making it a few feet before her nose poured blood. Darkness overtook her and she fell to the ground landing flat on her face.
     Lola screamed, then ran to Jade. "Are you okay?" She rolled her over, revealing a bloody face. "Help!"
     "Gross!" Kelly Smith exclaimed. "Devon will never like her. She's so weird."
     Tina Mae kneeled down on the ground. "What's wrong with her?"
     The coach eased through the crowd of young girls. His black hair falling in his eyes. "Jade, are you okay? Can you hear me?"  
     A soft moan emerged from Jade as she opened her eyes. "What happened?" Her voice was weak and barely a whisper.
     Coach Harrison handed her a bottle of water. "Take it easy. Drink it slow." 
     Jade pushed the water away and sat straight up when some of the haziness had gone away. "I'm fine." As she stood dizziness caused her to fall back on her knees. 
     "No, you're not fine." Coach Harrison retrieved his phone from his back pocket. "I'm calling your mother."
     "You have no right to call her!" Jade stood on staggering legs.
     "You need to sit down." 
     "You can't make me!" Jade shook her finger in Coach Harrison's face.
     Hands fisted on her hips; Lola opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out. 
     Coach Harrison ignored Jade's protest. "Your mother will be here shortly. 
     "Leave me alone!" Jade staggered toward her car. "I'm fine!"
     "Is she drunk?" Kelly Smith smirked. "She just wants attention."
     Just as she made it to her car, her mother pulled up. "What are you looking at? It's blood!" Her hands shook as she opened her car door.
     "Give me your keys," Faye demanded.
      Jade glowered at her mother as if she spoke in a foreign Language. "No, I can drive myself home!"
     Faye didn't know how much more she could take. Earlier that day Larry had called and told her that Jane was in the hospital dew to preeclampsia. And now Jade is having a breakdown.
     "I can drive you home," Lola said as she looked toward Faye. "If that's okay with you, Mrs. Douglas."
     "Is that okay with you Jade?" 
     "Whatever." She threw her keys to Lola. "Get me out of here." By then she couldn't keep the tears from coming. "I said get me out of here!"
     "Try to get her to open up to you," Faye pleaded.
     As they pulled away, Jade looked back. Her mom stood leaning on her car, crying.  But at the time she didn't care.
**************************************************
     Despair etched the lines around Devon's mouth, which curved into a frown. He glared down at his leg. The flesh was puffy and red, but what worried him most was the lump just below the surface. It appeared larger today than yesterday.
     Donald jogged toward him. "Do you need a ride?"
     "I have my truck." His face grimaced in pain as he heaved himself up into his vehicle.
     "Are you able to drive. I mean, with the way your leg is?"
     "I can manage." The tone of his voice sounded of annoyance. 
      "Did you see what happened on the track?" Pierre asked as he climbed into the back Donald's old Ford Pickup. He didn't give anybody time to answer. "Jade Douglas passed out, and blood gushed from her nose."
     "What? Is she okay?" Devon's face heated with alarm.
     Pierre shrugged his shoulders. "She left with Pimple face Lola."
     "I have to go." He cranked up and did a wheely as the truck speeded away. He drove down East Neck Road many thoughts weighing on his mind. Would Jade cancel their date? Is she alright? Devon needed to know that she was okay.
     A stampede of fear flooded him, causing his heart to slam into his chest. Devon rolled the window down and took in a deep breath. Salt air waffled up his nose.  Monstrous waves wept toward the sandy beach, but he could still hear the live music coming from the Cedar Beach Hut. One day he hoped Jade and himself could attend Lobster Fest, but he knew that would never happen.
     A deep yearning like he had never felt left a hollow ache in his heart. He knew he shouldn't, he pulled into a parking space, got out and hobbled toward the beach. The sun sitting over the horizon lit the sky with hues of yellow and orange. Not able to stand the pain any longer he fell to the sand. Once the tears broke free, the sobs racked his weary body. "God, don't let me have bone cancer."
     "For I know the thoughts I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."
     The verse came from Jeremiah 29:11. Devon wondered if God was speaking to him. "God is that you?" Groans escaped his lips through the suppressed sound of sniffling. 
     Nothing but the distant caws of seagulls lingered in the misty breeze. Devon began hobbling down the beach in hope of finding some kind of serenity. He hadn't gone but a few feet when he heard voices. 
     "Lola, I don't want to talk about it."
     Unexpected excitement nearly caused him to shout. "Jade, are you okay? I was so worried about you." Devon walked a little closer. By the look on Jade's face, she appeared upset.
     "Devon, I'm fine. I'm about to head home and get ready for our date."
     Relief showed in his expression. "Are you sure you're up to it. I heard you passed out."
     Embarrassment made Jade hold her head down. "It was blown out of sorts. I'm fine." She managed to look at him and smile.
     "Great." A bout of pain slid up his leg, his knees buckled and down he went.
     "Are you okay? If you need to cancel and rest your leg."
     "No, I need this date. I've wanted it for so long."
     Jade held onto Devon's arm as he stood. "I need it, too."
     "So, I'll see you at seven." Devon headed back to his truck feeling somewhat better.
     "See you then!" Jade yelled. She watched him until he was a faint shadow. "Take me home Lola. I have a date to get ready for."
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     


© 2022 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
Feedback welcomed!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Desperate, futile courage. And was I one of those ones who couldn't have understood? I'm seventeen again. And my girlfriend friend has taken her own life. She had cancer.
What you conjured! And yet... Is prayer as futile as it seems? Time will tell.
What a story!

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you! I hope I'm doing it justice!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
1 Review
Added on March 5, 2022
Last Updated on March 11, 2022
Tags: Cancer, Sick, Boy, Girl, Family


Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing