Chapter One: The Anger

Chapter One: The Anger

A Chapter by KAREN
"

Two young teens who are in the prime of their life now has to face a challenge they thought they would never have to face. Can Chemo Buddies help them choose to live and love?

"
     Jade eased herself up to a sitting position. Her head felt like a time bomb on its last count to explode. And as always, with the headaches came the nausea. As soon as Jade's feet hit the cold linoleum, she had to make a mad dash to the toilet. Thoughts eluded her and fear registered in its place. She wandered back to the room where weak eyes peered at the laptop. Contemplation caused her to stall, but with a negligible amount of courage she moved on. Joint pain, nosebleed, pale skin and bruising.  Unable to read the rest, she closed her eyes. Without a doubt, Jade knew she had Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Life was about to change, and not for the better.
     
     Feeling precarious, the only thing left to do was to get ready for school. Jade pulled out a pair of Levi Jeans, held her breath and slid them on. They were too big, which wasn't a surprise. Even though she buckled her Beige Snake Print Belt in the last hole, her jeans hung loose. For the last touch, she slipped on her favorite yellow sweater. The bruises on her arms burned like fire as the wool rubbed against them.  Soft Honey foundation did nothing for her ashen complexion. Nor did the Plum Berry Glow blush help her sunken cheekbones. The mirror didn't lie. The person staring back already looked dead. 

     "Good morning." Faye, her mom flipped a pancake. "Sit and have some breakfast."

     "I'm not hungry."

     Faye set a platter of bacon on the table. "You need to eat something."

     "How are my two favorite ladies this morning?"  Bradford, Jade's father asked as he entered the room.

     Jade gazed at them both with icy eyes. "I've got to go to school."

     "Bradford, she hasn't eaten anything." Faye swallowed the lump forming in her throat. "Look at her. She's as thin as a rail."

     "Honey, want you eat a banana?" The yellow fruit tossed toward Jade, landed at her feet.

     Reluctantly, Jade picked up the banana, staring at it like it was a foreign object.

     "Eat it."
   
     With trembling hands, Jade peeled the fruit and took a bite. "Happy?"

     "Drink some apple juice." Faye handed the bottle to her.

     Her stomach churned as the cold liquid hit it. "Can I go?"

     Bradford opened the car door for his daughter. "Don't shut us out." He kissed her on the cheek.  "We're worried about you, and we know you're worried too. We'll get answers when we see Doctor Bell tomorrow."

     Anger ripped through her.  "The two of you don't know crap. I know.... never mind." Jade slammed the door, cranked the car up, and sped away.

     She hadn't even made it to the main highway when she had to pull over. After a few deep breaths she open the door and threw up. Dizziness overwhelmed her brain and by time she regained perspective, spots floated before her eyes. Shortness of breath lead to panic. Jade hit the gas and pulled out into heavy traffic, swerving to miss a truck.

     Jade opened the window to get some air.  The crisp breeze attacked her face but did nothing to help her focus.  The light ahead changed to red.  Tears streamed down her face. When the light changed to green her legs wouldn't work.  Frantically Jade watched the light as it changed from green to orange to red over and over. people behind her honked their horns in anger.

     A man with grungy overalls tapped on the hood of her car and said, "are you okay? You're holding up traffic." He dug his dirty fingernails through his bushy beard.

     The powerful stench of the cigar he smoked gagged her. "I'm okay." But she still sat in a stupor. 

     "How about when the light turns green you go?"

     Blood trickled from her nose. Pain caused her head to pound while fear gripped her insides. "I'm about to go." Jade's voice was barely a whisper.

     "Are you sick?"
     
     Jade wiped the blood from her nose with the back of her hand. "I'm fine!" she yelled.
 
     The man stared at her in disbelief. "Are you having a premonition like in one of them Destination movies?"

     As the light changed to orange Jade's foot hit the gas. Hysteria grew when blood spilt down her chin and dropped onto her jeans. Chest tightening sobs blurred her vision when she finally arrived at West Babylon Senior High School.

     "God, please don't let me have cancer." Her pleas changed nothing. She knew her destiny. It wasn't to graduate at the top of her class or to go to culinary school. Her destiny was to die of cancer.

     "Are you okay?" Lola, her best friend asked as Jade emerged from the car. When she saw her blood-stained clothes Lolo's eyes grew wide with fear. "What in the world happened?" 

     "It's just a nosebleed. My sinuses are acting up."

     Lola looked skeptical. "You look awful. Your skin has no color. She pulled Jade over to the mirror. "See?"

     "Leave me alone." Jade proceeded to the building, wiping her nose.

     "You've been sick for a long time. When are you going to the doctor?"

     "I'm going tomorrow at two p.m.! Now leave me alone!" Jade didn't want to be reminded about her fate. However, Doctor Bell would tell her tomorrow that she has Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Nothing would change that.
*****************************************************************************
     The football field seemed peaceful this time of morning. Devon gazed around the stadium, reminiscing about past games. He could feel the rush of a touch down, hear the howl of the crowd. Without stalling any further he pulled the book on bone cancer from his backpack. Before opening the book, he closed his eyes and lived in the moment of one last daydream. A smile curled his lips as he made the only touchdown he would ever make again. The one in his mind.

     Devon flipped through the pages, almost choking as all the symptoms came to view. Bone pain, swelling, weight loss and fatigue.  "No!" His voice echoed. A lump formed inside his throat and tears threatened to fall. He refused to cry; it wouldn't change the fact that he had cancer. "No!" Yelling released some of the fear, but not all of it.

     "Dude, what are you yelling about?" Pierre threw his football into the air.

     "Nothing." Devon rubbed his leg.

     Donald winked at the cheerleaders as he ambled by. Devon, it's almost time for practice. You better get your uniform on."

     About that time Jermery came jogging up. "You all come on. We have to warm up. The coach will be here soon." He did a few jumping jacks. "Devon, why aren't you in..."

     "I'm not practicing today!" Devon stood. Pain radiated up his leg.

     Everyone stared as he fell to his knees. Nobody moved or spoked.

     "Aaaah!" Devon rolled onto his side, moaning.  Agony was etched on his face.

     Pierre kneeled down. "Is it your leg?"

     Devon didn't want to answer any questions. He wallowed on the ground, trying to get up. 

     "Is he having a seizure?" Neal asked.

     "Just leave me alone!" Devon got to a standing position. "Go play ball. The show is over."  He looked at each one of his teammates. 

     "Dude, when are you going to see a doctor?" Jeremey's expression held concern. 

     Pierre laid his hand on Devon. "We can pray for you."

     "You can keep your prayers! I am seeing Doctor Bell tomorrow at two thirty!" He looked at his friends. "Prayers will not keep me from...  Never mind. Just leave me alone."

     Deon watched her twin brother hobble toward her. She ran her hand through her short pixie haircut.  "Devon, are you okay?"

     He didn't answer. He walked on by and took a seat on a nearby bench, burying his face in his hands.

     "Are you okay?" Kelly Smith asked.

     "If another person asks me that I am going to scream!"

     Kelly knelt down by Devon. "Is something wrong?" Her breath caught in her throat and chest tightened when her hand touched his. "Can I help you?"

     "Aaaah! Leave me alone!"

     "What can I do to help?" Kelly leaned in closer, bumping his leg.

     Devon knocked Kelly backwards on impulse, sending her flat on her butt. "Leave me alone!" He walked away with his head down and plowed right into Jade. 

     Jade's mouth went dry, and her heart hammered against her chest.  Heat colored her cheeks.  "I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going."

     "No, I'm sorry. It was me. I need to pay more attention." Devon held onto Jade, staring into ocean blue eyes.

     What Jade wanted more than anything was for Devon to ask her out. She wanted one date with her high school crush before it was too late. "I've got to get to class. Maybe I'll see you around."

     The glare of the sun blinded his view as he watched his high school crush walk away. He vowed before the day ended, he would ask her out. Devon wanted to have one date with Jade Douglas before he died.

     

     

     

     

     

      

     

      

     

      


© 2022 KAREN


Author's Note

KAREN
Tell me what you think!
Could use feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awww... romance arises under the harshest conditions, which makes me think there is hope. Cancer took my oldest sister and just days ago, my youngest sister was diagnosed with lymphoma. Heart disease took my mother at age 48, my younger brother at 56, and has been trying to take me for the last 30 years. The seriousness of these diseases cannot be overemphasized.
Did Jade's mother toss a banana on the floor in front of her, or did Jade just fail to catch it? That part needs better wording, I think. Also, there are a few cases of the wrong tense being applied to the word "have".
Your hard work in writing this shows, and the story is progressing well.

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and reviewing. I will go back and reword that part and check on the ot.. read more
KAREN

2 Years Ago

And I am so sorry for your loss and suffering!
Thank you, dear friend, for sharing the chapter. You have created amazing characters and story line. I liked the conversation and the beginning of a friendship.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading!
More, more! This is an excellent beginning to "hook" your readers into wanting...no, needing, to read more! ~Sharon

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
So I don't usually read stories like this, however, this story actually caught my eye and held on. Although there are some errors, it's very entertaining along with somewhat realistic as you dive into what a teen might be feeling when they figure out they have cancer. I also love how this story is full of emotion. I'm for sure reading the next! :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Think you for reading! I tried to edit, but me and grammar doesn't get along. I will read over it ag.. read more
storiestotell,
Oh my I surly can feel for this young lady. What a heavy burden to have a serious cancer like this. It was beautiful to see her meet a nice boy who could identify with her condition as it is alike for him as well. You have brought the story to life with the context of her family and friends. I sure did enjoy it. Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading!
S🙁🙁🙁! Back in 1987, someone I cared deeply about recurved a diagnosis of cancer. On her sixteenth birthday, she ended her own life. The world I knew and loved ended then too. How can anyone cope?

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing! And I totally understand. I have had loved ones die from cancer t.. read more
M. J. Smith

2 Years Ago

I guess I still don't know why she didn't choose to fight. And that's what hurts still after all the.. read more
KAREN

2 Years Ago

You're welcome! I'm sorry for your loss and pain!
This is really good! It kept my interest from start to finish and has me wanting to read more!

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thank you!
KATHY SUE SILLS

2 Years Ago

You are welcome!
the descriptiveness brought on
tears...

Posted 2 Years Ago


KAREN

2 Years Ago

Thanks for the review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

217 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 20, 2022
Last Updated on March 12, 2022
Tags: Cancer, sick, Family Mystery


Author

KAREN
KAREN

Harrisville, MS



About
I love to write and cook! Me and my sister will soon be the author of a children's book titled Feelings Feelings Feelings, and a cookbook in the near future titled Two Heads In The Kitchen. I e.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


memorials... memorials...

A Poem by Brad