Free author website
Before you spend $1000s of dollars, spend 10 hours tinkering on Wordpress, or pay $20 a month for hosting. Try us! FREE
The Queen (no title yet, may never be)

The Queen (no title yet, may never be)

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

Dripping water echoed softly off the cavern walls. Golden light penetrated the depths of the underground sanctuary to the dancing delight of dust motes wakened from slumber. Green tendrils stretched forth from the ground seeking warmth of the sun.

I listened to the sounds of home and breathed deep the smells of my solitude, then opened my eyes to watch the dancing motes of light and smiled to see the cubs frantic antics to catch those elusive dancing lights.

The splash of water interrupted my morning reverie. Sighing I rose, moving quickly to rescue the clumsy cub, pulling her straight up out of the water as there was no way for her to climb out. Her angry growl spoke of her displeasure at being lifted by the scuff of the neck.

True, the scuff of the neck is the way of moving a small cub, and was demeaning to the half grown queen, still it was the only part I could readily grab hold to. Dodging her paws I set her down on the safety of the ledge. The annoyed swish of her tail spoke volumes.

She turned to look at me, hissed, then proceeded to lick the water off, tail dancing angrily.

Only to be interrupted by her impetuous twin brother.

Now was not the time and he soon found himself belly up with the angry queen standing over him paw raised, ears flattened and tail slapping out her final warning. With one last squinting look she turned, shook off the last traces of water off over him and, without a backward glance, stalked away. We both watched her stalk away, then he rolled his head and looked at me with the most startled expression in his eyes.

With the clumsiness that only a half grown cub can demonstrate, his body followed his head and he rolled over and then to his feet and with a sound, something between a growl and a purr, shot down the path behind her.

His strides, long and rhythmic, out distanced hers and soon he was close behind her. Without a sound he gave a long silent leap landing directly on top of her. A good twenty pounds heavier he knocked her from her feet and they rolled down the sloping pathway, stopping only when they hit the wall. The queen, smaller and faster, beat him to her feet. Ears flat against her skull, her mouth opened as she hissed at her twin, but the distance and sound of running water obscured the sound she made. Before the male could regain his footing she slapped him with both front feet. The blows were fast and hard. Her tail keeping time with the motions of those angry front feet. Her blows becoming more aggressive each time he attempted to rise. Finally, when he rolled to his back in submission she stood over him, foot raised in preparation to slap him again if he moved.

She stood motionless for several long minutes glaring at him before leaping to the ledge above and leaving through the entrance of the cavern.



© 2014 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
Just some thoughts going through my head.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on September 5, 2012
Last Updated on August 1, 2014


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing