Coming to America Prologue

Coming to America Prologue

A Chapter by Norma M Sutton

Prologue


The wind moaned across the deck above carrying the scent and sound of death with it, waking me to the sounds of water slapping the sides of the ship. The creaking of the mask combined with the slapping of the sails and the metallic sound of something hitting wood were only magnified by the pounding in my head.


The smell of death brought tears to my eyes. My body ached from sickness and childbirth. The weak movement next to me, followed by a hungry mewing that I almost couldn't hear over the other noises brought me out of my exhaustion. Unable to hide my pain I groaned and pulled this tiny weak barn to me. She had the will to live, but would she surrounded by death and sickness.


Her eyes opened as her tiny mouth took hold and she began to nurse. The brilliant green of her eyes took my breath. The dirty rag that she was wrapped in only emphasized the brightness of her coloring.

Slipping back into semi sleep the dreams returned. The death of my husband haunted me. I watched as his body was dumped overboard. The following week our youngest daughter followed him into the watery grave. Past sorrow I wondered what, if anything, lay ahead of us.


The constant coughing nagged at my fatigued slumber and I opened my eyes. My eyes were overly dry from the tears that were shed before we left our home in Ireland. Mary's ragged breathing rattled as it left her chest. Seeing the ashen paleness of my eldest daughter's face should have cut me to the quick, but our losses were too great and a numbness deadened me to feeling anything.


I was ready to die, ready for the misery to end, but as long as our daughters lived I had to survive.




© 2011 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
The barest bones of a beginning. I have a long way to go on this one yet though.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh wow, you have my attention....

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love history. The Irish escaping England had a hard time at the gates of America. History need to be remembered. Few races had it easy when coming to the USA. USA is a country built by men and woman from other places hoping for a fair chance. I wish we look at the new people coming here from other places for opportunities with a positive outlook. I look forward to this story. A very good beginning.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh I love it. I can't wait to read more. What a fabulous beginning.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2011
Last Updated on August 9, 2011
Previous Versions


Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Addicted To You Addicted To You

A Poem by Bubo


Marie Marie

A Poem by Linear