A Girl Just Like You and I..

A Girl Just Like You and I..

A Story by Sydney Evans
"

This is my first story.

"

Have you ever noticed how whenever you're looking for something, stressing over it completely and it drives you to almost insanity you can never find it? Maybe weeks later when what you were desperately searching for has lost it's value or purpose you finally find it in the most obvious place. This is how much of life happens. You find something you really enjoy when you aren't looking for it. You find the most incredible people when you aren't looking for them. You find the best memories and the best laughs when you aren't looking for them. Life is a surprise. It can't be forced. Otherwise, you aren't really living. Are you? Everything happens for a reason, everything has a purpose. Not everything thrown at us will be a good surprise but it could define you for the rest of your life. 
There was this girl just like you and I. You couldn't see the difference from the outside, but there was always a difference. Inside her chest, something was forming. Something was taking her body hostage. It was hurting her. It was taking from her. Yet, you never saw this on her face. She wasn't looking for this. It found her. The cancer found her. This girl also found that she had a skill. She could run so fast and with such grace that you couldn't tell what was hurting her inside. You couldn't see the unlucky hand she'd been dealt. She let the cancer define her. The girl let it drive her to victory. Everyone cheered and supported her speed. They celebrated her accomplishments in running for her high school. She broke records and set times. You'd never have known. None of her fans knew. They didn't know what was eating at her. They didn't know her secret. Until, it was too late. Until, she was just a memory and a picture. Never to run again. 

She was a girl, just like you and I, but there was always a difference.

© 2011 Sydney Evans


Author's Note

Sydney Evans
My first story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

very lovely story....not as sad as it is inspirational. It shows that no matter what we may come to face in life, we can overcome and everything happens in time. I think she lived her life in spite of...and here I am at times ready to give up when things aren't exactly going my way....hmm...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is inspiring! I really enjoyed it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like this. You made it very real I think. And I love that you say that you find the best of everything when you aren't looking for it. I have found that myself as well. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


very lovely story....not as sad as it is inspirational. It shows that no matter what we may come to face in life, we can overcome and everything happens in time. I think she lived her life in spite of...and here I am at times ready to give up when things aren't exactly going my way....hmm...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rest peacefully she'll be back soon.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hm, you capture a good mix of feelings here, Sydney. There's a certain ambivalence that I get from reading this piece because the girl was victorious and celebrated, yet that's mixed with the feeling of being "too late."

Interesting connect between the first and second paragraphs. I'm not sure what you were exactly aiming to get from the juxtaposition, but it makes me wonder about the line "everything happens for a reason, everything has a purpose" and about whether the reason/purpose for the disease was to give her the impetus to push on in spite of the cancer and to be stronger within; similarly, I wonder about the reason and purpose that my reading this account will have on me.... I could go on and on - this is a thought-provoking piece.

Edit points:
Line 3: *its (no apostrophe)

Technically, this should be "like you and me"
http://hubpages.com/hub/Grammar_Mishaps__I_versus_Me

Cheers,
JA

Posted 13 Years Ago


this is so thoughtful and real..i couldn't agree more with what you have to say..wonderful story..very reflective of life,,and very true..a 99 from me..bravo!

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow such a touching sad story it brings tears to my eyes but I like how it gets you to understand what its about an where its coming from. Cancer is a serious diseasse you never know who has it but yet they still fight on and do anything you would do normally. I hope you keep writing its wonderful story sad sad but gud truthful words you have written

Posted 13 Years Ago


Hmm ... someone is in philosophical mood today , I am seeing very mature writes . This work is really nice and though , short , has an impact , that is , it drives home its point . By the way , you say cancer , but the picture you gave seems like the symbol for Aquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) .

Very nice write .

Posted 13 Years Ago


It's amazing. I don't know how else to describe it. I read the first sentence and had to read the rest. It had a sad ending though, but life tends to do that to people :(
I will definitely read your stories when you add them!
I am legitimately jealous of your skill!


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very good story. You set-up the story very nicely. I like the way you described her. I like how she hid the cancer. A story about a brave girl with a sad ending. A excellent story. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

662 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2011
Last Updated on February 5, 2011

Author

Sydney Evans
Sydney Evans

Eaton, OH



About
Hello, my name is Sydney Rayne Evans! I'm seventeen and love to write. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..