Happy F*****g Birthday

Happy F*****g Birthday

A Chapter by Taylor Wentz
"

It's Amanda's birthday and when she gets to school, everyone is asking her about the Keggar she's throwing...

"

I wake to my mom and dad singing happy birthday and shoving a cupcake with a candle lit in my face. “Happy birthday sweetie!” my mom says smiling. I blow the candle out quick and cover my head with the blanket. “Get up and get ready for school, i'll go make you breakfast.”

My dad jerks the blanket off of me. “Get up birthday girl” he says smiling. He leaves, closing the door behind him. I stare at the ceiling. It's my sixteenth birthday and i don't feel a bit different. Feeling like the girl in Sixteen Candles, I get up groggily and try to get ready for school.

When i come into the kitchen there's a buffet of food spread out over the kitchen island. I stare at it in amazement. It's hard to believe my mom would even cook this much. I grab a cinnamon roll and a plate to fill up.

“Adams here!” my mom says. “Have a nice day at school, sweetie.” she hugs me so tightly i can barely breath. I finally squeeze out of the door to see the red mustang parked on the side of the road in front of my house.

The car door swings open to a smiling Adam holding out a cupcake to me. “Happy Birthday” he says.

“Thanks, but no thanks. I've had enough food for a lifetime.” I say, sarcastically.

He chuckles a little. “Birthday buffet?” he says, shrugging and taking a bite out of the cupcake.

“You guessed it.” we laugh as we drive off to school together.

We drive into the school parking lot, parking in Adam’s usual space. “You better watch out for Jennifer, she’ll be showing up in 3...2…” and before he can even say one, Jennifer is at the car door, smiling.

“Happy Birthday!” I get out of the car meeting Adam on the other side. We laugh and Jennifer looks at us, questioningly. “What?” she says.

“Nothing, let's go.” we walk toward the school together, Jennifer and Adam chatting about God knows what.

I open my locker door, at first failing to remember the code. I grab my civics and economics book and slam the door shut locking it, before turning around. “Happy Birthday” I turn around to Gale, grinning at me.

“Thanks” I say smiling back at him.

“So what are you doing for your special day” he says as we walk to gym. I have to think about the question for a moment before I respond. I could throw a party or I could just sit at home watching movies and pigging out all night.

“I don’t know.” I decide to say.

“You should throw another kegger, like last summer.” he looks excited. “You know, since I didn’t get to go to the last one.” I start to say something but he doesn’t give me a chance. “And then I got even more upset because someone posted the pictures online.” he tries to continue but I cut him off.

“Okay, Okay that wasn’t my fault. Your parents are the ones that drug you away that weekend and you're just jealous because you didn't get to experience my amazing party or the advantage of me being drunk.” I have to laugh at the look on his face, because he’s somewhat between amused and embarrassed. He pushes me, but has to pull me back so I don’t run into some freshmen.

We come into the gym to see people sitting on the bleachers and guys pulling off their pants to reveal basketball shorts underneath them, typical day. Me and Gale race up the bleachers to the top corner, where we usually sit. “I'm serious about throwing you a party.” he says looking at me.

“You know what? I’ll make you a deal. You throw me a party, at your house, and I’ll bring the beer.” I say.

“You’ve got a deal.” he says, mockingly shaking my hand.

“I heard beer!” Sarah says rushing up the bleachers. She turns around, cupping her hands around her mouth, she yells “Sounds like someone's having a Birthday kegger!”

“Sarah no!” I say, but it's too late, everyone heard it and some people look at us. I cover my face with my hands and Sarah takes them away from my face.

“Oh cheer up. It’s not like you don’t like to party, besides it’s your Birthday!” she sits backwards facing us on the lower step. “And don’t worry about buying beer, I’ll get it since it’s your Birthday.” she says grinning at me.

“Thanks, do me a favor and stop looking at me like that.” I say, pushing her away with my hand on her face. She pulls it away and we all laugh.

“Hey Amanda!” I look over Sarah’s head to find Kyle Hemmings, waving at me as he comes up the steps. Why is he talking to me? Kyle Hemmings; possibly the hottest, most popular guy in school, talking to me? I mean, I wasn’t the most popular girl in school but I was certainly not the least either.

“Yeah?” I manage to say smiling.

“What kinda beer you buying?” He says smiling back at me.

I mull it over for a moment “Scottish?” I say slowly, looking at Sarah, then back at Kyle.

“Scottish, strong, I like it.” he winks at me then goes back down to play basketball. I’m in a daze. I can’t believe Kyle Hemmings is coming to my party. I knew Kyle Hemmings in 7th grade but since then we haven't talked much. He kinda just disappeared into the ‘unknown world of the populars’, Sarah liked to call it.

“Hello?” Sarah snaps me awake. “Um...What is Kyle Hemmings doing, talking to you?” She looks at me expectantly.

“Um...I don’t know?” I shrug.

“And he’s coming to your party?” She seems excited.

“So?” I say, pretending not to know where this is going.

“‘So?’ Amanda, he’s the hottest guy in school!”  She’s now up on her feet, waving her arms in my face. I arch an eyebrow at her.

“He’s not that great.” we look at Gale, and I laugh.

“Is somebody jealous?” I say waving a finger in his face.

“No, I just don’t see what the big deal is.” He says, reassuringly. Me and Sarah look at him. “What?” he says.

Sarah gives me a look. ”Nothing.”

* * * * * * *

“Happy Birthday, Amanda!” The phrase has been used nonstop, all day long. I guess that’s what it’s like when you're on the uprising of being a future party queen.

Ever Since I threw my first kegger, I have been on the uprise of popularity. Even though I know a lot of people and a lot of people now know me. I haven’t fully accepted it yet, because I promised my friends that I would never forget them, and I’m afraid popularity will do that, unless of course, they rise with me. I don't have any problems with it, but I do not want it to define my life, like it has done to most people.

Like Kyle Hemmings. He used to hang out with me and a bunch of other people that neither one of us talk to anymore. I’m pretty sure the only ones who stayed friends was Me and Gale and Kyle and his best friend, Damian. Both of which, are stars on the basketball team and pros at picking up girls, literally wherever or whoever they want. When you're in high school, popularity can change and define you. Two things that I do not want.

That afternoon, Gale drives me home instead of Adam. We stop in front of my house and he turns his car off looking at me. “What?” I say.

“I wanted to talk to you about something.” He says.

“Okay, come in.” I say, faking a smile. We walk into my house. My mom is in the living room, forcing my dad to watch The Desperate Housewives of New York, while eating popcorn. My dad sees us and mouths the words ‘HELP ME’ I try not to laugh. Gale laughs, out loud. Crap. My mom looks over at us and smiles, pausing the TV. I give Gale a look.

“What?” He says.

My mom comes over to us “Gale!” she hugs him. “Are you hungry? I can make you something, cookies?”

“Mom.” I give her a look and she backs up, going into the kitchen anyway. We walk to my room and I throw my bag onto the floor, next to my desk. Gale goes over to my bed and sits down. I kick the door shut, leaning against it for a moment.

“So, what did you want to talk about?” I say, sitting next to him. He looks nervous and it takes him a minute to answer.

“The party. Yeah, that’s what I wanted to talk about.” he dries his sweaty hands, wiping them on his jeans.

”Really? That’s what you wanted to talk about?” I say, cocking an eyebrow.

“Okay, you caught me.” he says putting his hands up. “Actually, can we talk later?” I look at him for a minute.

“Yeah, when?” I say, very confused.

“Um...Meet me in my room. At eleven.” he says nodding.

“K” I say questioningly. He smiles back sheepishly.

I walk him back to the front door. My mom brings a plate of cookies up to us. Gale takes one “Thanks Mrs.Johnson” he gives her a smile. “See you tonight, Amanda.” he says and goes out the door.

“Tonight? What’s going on tonight?” my mom says. I take a cookie and bite into it.

“Party. Gale’s throwing me one.” I say, my mouth full. I walk into the kitchen and my mom follows me, putting the tray of cookies on the counter.

“So do you think he’s finally gonna try to take your friendship to the next level? ” She says as I pour her and myself a glass of milk.

“I don’t know. He came in wanting to talk to me about something, but he couldn’t say it.” I bite my lip. Was that what he wanted to talk about? Us? We’ve been friends since seventh grade. Did these feelings just now erupt or have they been growing over the years, like mine have? “Well, everyone knows what he wants. But, what do you want?” my mom says. “Don’t you have feelings for him?”

I look at my mom. “Of course I do. But what if something happens and it ruins our friendship?”

My mom brushes my hair back and smiles. “Sometimes, you just have to take that risk.”

“Thanks mom.” I smile, snatching another cookie. I turn and start to head back to my room.  

“Amanda, don’t do anything you might regret.” I smile at her.

“Yeah, don’t get too drunk!” My dad intervenes.

“Same thing to you!” I say laughing.

“Actually I think I’ll take advantage of you leaving.” He walks over to my mom and kisses her neck, making her giggle.

“Gross.” I say going to my room.

I go back to my room and plop myself down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. My phone rings and I answer it. “Hello?” I say.

“Amanda! You didn’t tell me you were throwing a Birthday kegger tonight!” Jennifer on the other side of the phone sounds like she’s freaking out.

“Well, I kinda figure you would find out since the whole school was talking about it today. And I’m not throwing it, Gale insisted that I have a party and I told him as long as it’s at his house.” I say to her.

“Ooh, Gale. Of course he would think to throw you a party.” I don’t answer her so, eventually she just says “Kk, see you at the party, bye!” She hangs up.

My dad comes into the room and I spring up. “Are you ready?” he says.

“For what?” I have no clue what he’s talking about.

“For your driver's test?” He looks at me expectantly.

I had completely forgot that I had to go to the DMV today, to get my license. “Oh, yeah. Let’s go.”

* * * * * * *

“How did you do?” My dad asks me as I slide back into the car.

“I failed.” I say blandly. It was true. I had failed my drivers test and couldn’t take it again until next week. My dad says nothing. I buckle up and we drive back home, me staring out the window the whole time.

“Did you pass?” My mom asks me when I walk through the door, I shake my head. I go back to my room and it’s 6 o’clock. I decide that that I should get ready for the party that will hopefully get my mind off of the drivers test.

My mom knocks on the door. “Come in.” I say as I'm applying eyeliner. She opens the door and I look at her. She holds out a red dress with a flowy skirt and a lace top. I smile and hold the dress up to myself, looking in the mirror. “I love it.” I said and she smiled.

“Wait! There’s something… missing.” She says tapping her chin. She rushes out of the door and comes back holding a white pearl necklace. “This was my moms, but I think it's time for you to have it now.”

“Thanks mom.” I pull my hair away from my neck, so that she can fasten it.



© 2016 Taylor Wentz


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

No offense, but, this is preppy supreme.

I wouldn't be that bummed if you ended up with herpes before you turn 25.

I can't fuggin believe I read that whole thing.

Good job... Awful f*****g topic... like, I hate you, I straight up dislike you right now. But I read the whole thing,,,, ugh... good job. You write well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Taylor Wentz

8 Years Ago

Um... Thanks?
This comment has been deleted by this chapters author.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 11, 2016
Last Updated on March 12, 2016
Tags: teen, party, romance, flirt, popular, boy