This Can't Be Healthy

This Can't Be Healthy

A Chapter by tayzer--

 

Chapter Eight
 
When I wake up, I don’t feel any better, as would be expected with me, y’know, dying and all.
I’m about to fall against the plush pillows, drifting back to sleep in ignorant bliss, but the smell of food cooking floats into my nose. I bolt out of bed, run to the bathroom clutching my stomach, and throw up.
The mere thought of food was making me nauseous not hours earlier, so I’m really not surprised that the smell of it is making me sick.
I hear my bedroom door being opened, but I can’t find it in myself to be even slightly curious as to who’s entering my room. When a blonde head appears, I assume its Margaret. Much to my chagrin, its not. At all.
Okay. Do you remember Elena and Demetri? Demetri, the guy that at a party smacked me around a few times and then made out with me, against my wishes. The guy that, if Chase hadn’t interfered, may have done more than that.
And then his sister Elena. The girl who has the Talent, for want of a better word, to make people see anything she wants them to see. She could make you see your best friend dying, when in reality they’re very much alive. Only, you wouldn’t know that.
Well, Elena made me see something, all right. She made me see her and Chase making out, and she let me believe it actually happened. When in truth, it didn’t.
But that’s all in the past. Right? I mean, I have a right not to like Demetri and Elena, the evil siblings, but it was in the past.
….Right?
Besides, Demetri and Elena are totally against the Company. That’s why they’re, y’know…staying at the Davenports house.
I rest my head against the cabinet, sitting on the bathroom floor, my eyes closed.
I open them to see Elena standing at the door, looking nervous. “Hi,” she says, twirling a piece of stick straight platinum blonde hair. I eye her suspiciously.
“I don’t need this right now.” I tell her, feeling another wave of nausea and throwing up into the toilet. When I’m finished, I sit back again, eyeing Elena, who still looks nervous.
“Look…I just came in here to say that I’m sorry. About before, when I made you see Chase and I...” she pauses, unsure how to say it. “Anyway, I’m really sorry.”
I pause, watching her quietly, eyes narrowed. “I don’t know if I can forgive you.”
And much to my surprise, she looks upset by this. “I understand.” She says, taking a big breath, and then letting it out, sounding sad.
I bite my lip and throw up my hands. “But hey, I’m dying. I should forgive and forget right?” I ask rhetorically, and Elena shrugs her dainty shoulders. “Why’d you do it?” I ask her, referring to the whole making me see her and Chase making out thing.
Elena twirls another piece of hair, her grey eyes nervous. “I was jealous.” She admits, and I frown, confused, before she continues. “I mean, Chase is gorgeous. He’s like, strong looking and totally muscular, and…” she stops, noting my expression. “I guess I thought it wasn’t fair that you got him when I didn’t even have a chance. And so I thought it you two broke up…Chase might consider me.”
I frown, and Elena sighs. “I know, I know. It was totally stupid of me, and I understand if you hate me. But…I was kind of hoping we could be friends. Or maybe not even friends. We could just be nice to each other, and maybe like, not hateful.”
She pauses, looking nervous again. I get up from the floor, rinsing my mouth with mouthwash twice before I turn to face her.
“Your brother’s an a*****e.” I tell her, eyes narrowed. Elena sighs.
“I know. Just be thankful you didn’t have to grow up with him.” She says, rolling her eyes at the mention of Demetri.
I grin. “Truce?” I offer, giving her my hand. Elena looks up, surprised, and then shakes my hand, grinning.
“Truce.” She agrees.
We leave the bathroom, wandering into my room. “Do you want me to get you some breakfast?” She offers, hand lingering on the doorknob. I clutch my stomach, the thought of food making me nauseous again. Elena notices, guilt coloring her face. “Oh, God. I’m sorry. I should have…”
I interrupt her, smiling slightly. “It’s fine. And no thank you. I’m good for now.” I tell her, sitting down on my bed, pulling blankets over myself.
“Do you want to watch a movie later?” I ask her, knowing that I’m going to be mucho bored and welcoming any distraction from my thoughts. Elena looks grateful for the suggestion, as if she’s just as bored.
“Only if it’s a chick flick. Nobody else in this house will watch one with me.” She says, and I laugh.
“I know, it’s like they’re all scared of actually enjoying it.” I agree, shaking my head with a grin. Elena nods her head, laughing.
“Totally.” She opens the door, turning back for a minute. “How’s an hour sound to you?”
I consider it, and then nod.
“Feel free to wake me if I’m still sleeping.” I tell her and she nods, leaving with a smile.
Not a minute later, Brody knocks at the door, and I yell for him to come in. He offers me a smile, and I try to smile back.
“You need to eat.” He tells me, holding a plate of freshly cooked food. I feel my stomach churn and I bury my face in a pillow.
“I’m going to throw up again if you come any closer with that food.” I inform him.
“Again?” I hear him ask and I roll my face away from the pillow.
“I’ve already thrown up twice.” I say, raising an eyebrow. Brody narrows his eyes at me.
“You still need to eat. You haven’t since yesterday morning.” He says, determination in his voice. I sigh, ignoring the churning in my stomach.
“Fine.” I say, silently mad. Brody sits on the edge of my bed, the plate of food sitting on his lap. I warily eye the toast on the plate, reaching out a shaky hand to pick it up. I look at Brody sharply. “I can’t eat in dead silence.” I tell him and he rolls his eyes good naturedly, getting up to turn some music on quiet.
I take a cautious bite of toast, waiting for my stomach to revolt. To my surprise, it doesn’t. I take another bite, chewing less cautiously this time, watching as Brody wanders around my room, peering at pictures.
“What do you want to do today?” He asks me suddenly, turning back to me. I shrug, popping a grape into my mouth.
“I’m watching a movie with Elena in a bit.” I say, and note Brody’s surprise.
“You’re…”
“We’re okay now.” I explain, and Brody nods, not even pretending to understand girl friendships.
“Do you want to go swimming later?” I ask him, imagining how nice the lake water would feel against my feverish skin.
“Sure,” Brody says, smiling.
I pick up at book, beginning to read, but can’t concentrate, as the words are blurring. I blink exaggeratedly and Brody raises an eyebrow at me. “What’s wrong?” He asks.
I shrug, blinking again. “The words are blurry. Come, look.” I hold up the book for Brody to see, but after he peers at it he looks at me with concern.
“It’s not blurry.” He says, book in hands. I grab it back, squinting at the words, unable to make them out.
“Well, I am getting old, then.” I joke, and Brody frowns. I set the book down with a sigh, disappointed. Brody scoops it up, sitting in the chair he did before.
“I could read to you.” He offers, and I raise my eyebrows.
“And bore yourself to tears?” I ask. “I don’t think so.” I make a grab for the book but Brody pulls it out of my reach, grinning.
He flips open the book.
“Time passes without Mia’s knowledge—without her consent. As her heart beats frantically in her chest, she presses a well-manicured hand against it. She blinks inky black eyes and presses her thin lips together, evaluating the box sitting on the table in front of her. Finally gaining nerve she delicately picks up the box, shaking it. A quiet beeping can be heard, and Mia’s heart picks up pace. A bomb.”
Brody looks at me, eyebrows raised. “A bomb?” He asks me, questioningly. I shrug.
“Mia works for the FBI.” I explain and Brody nods, continuing. He reads on and on, chapter after chapter until a delicate knock is heard at the door. We look up to see Elena standing there, a pale pink dress on. She smiles sweetly at Brody.
“Hey,” she says and Brody puts down the book, nodding at Elena.
“Hey.” He responds, walking around to where I’m sitting on my bed, placing the book on the table next to it. He gives me a smile and then leaves, closing the door behind him.
“I didn’t mean to interrupt.” Elena starts, looking nervous again. I shake my head at her, smiling.
“You didn’t.” I tell her and she gives a sigh of relief. “Did you bring a movie?” I ask and she nods, holding up the Notebook. I grin.
“Perfect.” Elena walks over to the TV in my room, popping in the movie and begins to walk over to the chair that Brody had just been sitting in. “My bed isn’t like, diseased or something.” I say, trying not to laugh. Elena gives me a look and then laughs, sitting on the opposite side of my bed as the movie begins.
By the end of the movie, we’re both crying, and we laugh at each other as we blow our noses loudly into Kleenex.
Elena grabs the movie from the DVD player and shakes her head at herself. “I cry every time.” She admits and I laugh.
“Me too. I know what is going to happen and I still cry.” I say and Elena laughs.
“What’re you going to do now?” She asks me and I shrug.
“Sleep, I think. I’m really tired…lately.” I say, voice growing quieter. Elena gives me a reassuring smile.
“Well, when you wake up maybe we can hang out a bit more.” She says and I nod, smiling.
“That’d be awesome.” I tell her and with that, she leaves. I fall asleep, into my favorite state of ignorant bliss, my breathing steady and even.
When I wake up, its dark outside and I wonder how long I’ve been sleeping. I get up from my bed, searching around my room and suitcase until I find my swimsuit. I slip into it, grabbing a towel from the bathroom, and tiptoe down the hallway of the quite house. The house is so big that I’d be surprised if anyone could hear me, but I did tell Brody I’d go swimming later, so I should probably find him.
Wandering down endless quiet hallways, I finally find Brody’s room and I nudge the door open, knocking quietly. Brody is on the phone and when he sees me he holds up a finger, signaling he’d be one minute, and nods toward a chair, where I sit silently.
“I’ve got to go.” Brody says into the phone, turning his back to me and lowering his voice. “I’ll talk to you later.”
He hangs up, turns to me, and grins. “I’ll be one minute.” He says, grabbing his swim trunks from a drawer and wandering into the bathroom to change. When he emerges, towel in hand, I note that all of the Davenports are extremely fit.
“Ready?” I ask, and Brody nods, smiling. We leave his room, walk down a few stairs, and wander through quiet hallways, until we reach the front foyer where we then go outside. I look at Brody and grin.
“Race you to the lake.” I say and we’re both off running, laughing, racing to the lake and arriving at the same time. I pause at the end of the dock, dipping my toe in. “It’s cold.” I say, frowning. Brody laughs.
“If you don’t jump then I’m pushing you in.” He says, and I glare at him good naturedly.
“I bet the Loch ness Monster lives in here.” I say, dipping my toes in again.
“Three…” Brody counts down, grinning. I narrow my eyes at the dark water, completely disguised by the inky black night sky. “Two…” I pause, almost ready to jump but then back up on the dock, changing my mind. “One!” Brody says, and then charges at me, grabbing me in a tackle so we both fall into the water. I come up for air, sputtering, with Brody’s laughing.
“Brody!” I yell, laughing. I wipe water away from my eyes and tread water, turning to look at him.
After a few minutes of treading water and not saying much, I decide to speak up. And I know you’re totally surprised. Me? Talking? No!
“I have a plan.” I tell Brody, and he sighs.
“Here we go.” Brody jokes and I splash him with water.
“Do you want to hear it or not?” I ask him and he nods, trying not to laugh. I stick my tongue out at him and continue. “I’m going to go to the Company.” I say and Brody coughs, loudly, surprised.
“No, you’re not.” He says strictly. I narrow my eyes.
“I am. And I’m going to destroy them.” I say, dead serious. Brody shakes his head at me, pulling himself up onto the dock. He shakes water out of his hair and wraps a towel around his waist.
“You’re not going to the Company.” He repeats, his voice determined.
I glare at him. “You’re not my keeper, Brody.” I say angrily. I try pulling myself up onto the dock from the water but can’t, as I’m too weak. Thanks to dying, and all that.
“Skye, listen to me. There isn’t one person in our house that is going to let you go to the Company.” He says, crouching down to help me out of the water. I sit on the edge of the dock, towel wrapped around me, staring hatefully into the water.
“I shouldn’t have told you.” I say quietly, angrily. Brody sits down beside me on the dock but I don’t look at him.
“No, you shouldn’t have. Because I’m not letting you go.” He says, and I can feel his eyes on me. I refuse to look at him. “What if Chase comes back and you’re gone?” Brody asks me and I frown, having not thought of that.
“Oh.” I say, and sigh, resigned. We sit in silence for a few minutes, me still not looking at Brody until I hear him clear his throat and say,
“I was talking to Chase on the phone when you came into my room.”
My head snaps up, and I can feel the surprise on my face.
“What, are you serious?” I ask, and Brody nods. “I could’ve talked to him!” I exclaim, half in surprise, half in resignation.
“He’ll be home tomorrow.” Brody tells me, and I blink up at him in surprise. I grin.
“That’s great!” I say, but Brody’s expression tells me that I’m wrong. “Isn’t it?”
He doesn’t answer at first, instead just kicking his feet in the water and staying silent. I feel my heartbeat speed up in worry. “Brody, what’s going on?” I ask with a million questions in my voice.
Brody stays silent and I turn to face him, folding my feet up under me. I wait patiently, my worry growing, until Brody answers.
“He just called to let us know that he’ll be back tomorrow.” He says, and holds up a hand to stop the flow of questions that follow that statement. “That’s all I know.”
I can tell by the sound of his voice that he’s not lying, and in fact, that is all he knows.
I bite my lip, frowning hard. “Something doesn’t seem right.” I say, tilting my head at my reflection in the lake. Brody doesn’t say anything, just stays silent.
Without warning, I begin to feel queasy and I get up quickly from the dock and run to the grassy area, throwing up. When I’m finished, I lean back against one of the many boulders lining the lake, breathing heavily.
Brody stands next to me, rubbing my back in a soothing motion. I cough, throwing up some more (lovely, isn’t it?).
When I’m finally done, I collapse onto the ground, overwhelmed with fatigue. Brody picks me up off the ground, and I throw my arms around him gratefully as he carries me back to the house.
“Have you ever wanted something you couldn’t have?” I ask Brody out of nowhere, prying my eyes open. By now we’re in my room, and he sets me down on my bed, pulling blankets over me. He looks at me closely, a brief look of longing passing over his face, and brushes a piece of hair away from my face.
“Yes,” He answers me, quietly, still watching my closely. I bite my lip again, my thought somewhere else entirely. 
“Me too.” I say, yawning quietly, and snuggling into the warm blankets. “I wish I wasn’t dying.”
Brody looks away from my face, looking completely torn apart. I can see a muscle in his jaw twitch, as if he’s trying to control his emotions.
When he looks back at me and sees me watching him he leans down, kissing my cheek softly. Just then, the door to my room opens and Logan stands there, in shock.
“Skye, how are you feeling?” Logan asks with his voice controlled. He completely ignores Brody, his body language giving away that he’s irritated at him.
I frown, confused. “Not great.” I say, and then as if on cue, I throw up into a strategically places bucket next to my bed. Logan looks at me, worried. “Can I get you anything?” He asks. I shake my head, leaning back against the pillow with a sigh.
“No, I’m okay.” I say, coughing into a Kleenex, glaring hatefully at the blood produced. “Thanks though.”
Logan clenches his jaw. “Anytime.” He says, voice strained. He then looks at his brother, anger in his eyes. “Brody, can I talk to you for a minute?” He asks.
Brody looks from Logan to me, eyebrows raised. “I don’t think Skye should be left alone right now,” Brody says, eyes focused on me.
Just then, Elena appears in the doorway, wearing matching shorts and shirt pajamas.
“Hey, Skye!” She says happily, and then looks at Brody. “No worries, I can stay with her.”
Brody looks at me one more time and then turns to Logan. “Okay,” he says, and they both leave my room, closing the door behind them.
Elena goes into the bathroom, turning the tap on. I hear some clinking around, but my ears are focused on something else entirely.
“What the hell are you doing?” I hear Logan hiss angrily, presumably at his brother.
“What do you mean?” Brody asks, voice calm. I wrinkle my nose in confusion. The Davenport brothers never fight. And I do mean never.
Elena returns to my room, glass of water and pills in hand. She hands the pills to me.
“For the nausea,” she explains and I take the medicine gratefully, gulping the pills down with water.
It’s quiet for a moment, and we both hear the brothers’ angry voices.
“I see the way you look at her.” Logan growls, anger evident in his voice.
It’s silent for a moment, and then I hear Brody, resigned. “I’m not…I’m looking out for her.” He says quietly.
Logan scoffs. “Brody, whatever you feel for Skye doesn’t matter.”
Brody sighs. “I know.” He says, and then sighs again. “I know.” He repeats.
Elena looks at me, lips pursed. “Maybe we should, um, turn on the radio?” She suggests weakly. I blink, confused and tired.
“Shhh!” I say, hushing her. She holds up her hands in an “I-surrender” pose and sits on my bed, listening with me.
“I love her.” Brody says lowly, his voice cautious.
Elena jumps up from my bed, and races out from the room, and I hear her voice added to the mix. “Um, guys? Hey, yeah. We can, um, totally hear you in there. So uh…” she trails off, waiting for them to catch on.
I hear Brody cuss, loudly, followed by a cuss from Logan. “S**t, Logan. What am I supposed to do?”
I can practically hear Logan thinking, but I sit on my bed, eyes wide, staring at the door. Brody loves me? How can he love me? I love him, of course. But not…not like that. He’s a brother to me.
The door to my room cracks open slowly and Brody, Logan and Elena all stare at me with pale faces. I blink nervously, toying with the blankets on my bed. Brody grinds his teeth together as they all walk into my room, coming closer to me.
“Skye…I’m sorry.” Brody says, his voice rough. “I didn’t mean to…confuse you, or…”
I blink rapidly, trying to fix this. “Do you love me or are you in love with me?” I ask quietly, knowing how stupid the question is but needing to know.
Brody pauses as we all wait for his answer, knowing what it is before he says it. “I’m in love with you.” He says quietly.
I close my eyes, breathing deeply, unsure of how to react.
I so freaking told you my life is like the Hills. Except way, way more interesting. Not to be conceited or anything, but uh, yeah.
“You can’t be.” I say, opening my eyes. Brody leans his head back, letting out a breath of air in a big whoosh. “I’m in love with your brother.” I say softly.
My head then snaps up, and I let out a nervous laugh. “Chase, I mean. Not Logan.” Nobody laughs, but Elena gives me a weak smile. I sigh. “Oh, God.” I say to myself.
Without saying anything, Logan reaches out to me, pressing the fingers of both of his hands to my temples.
“What’re you—“ I start, but am interrupted due to a sudden whirling or thoughts in my head. I fight to keep the thoughts, the memories that are slipping away, sliding through the place in my head where I keep them. And then I remember what Logan’s Talent is. He’s a Remover. Which means, simply put, that he can remove memories form anyone’s head.
I try to pull away from Logan’s hands, but can’t. My memories, still swirling away, suddenly stop and everything’s in place again. Except…I’m missing something. I can feel that I’m missing something. I look up at Logan, also remembering what he can do.
“Give it back to me.” I say, kind of rudely, glaring at him. Logan looks apologetic, his short blonde hair and light blue eyes making him look innocent. “Whatever memory you took from me, please give it back.” I say, but Logan shakes his head at me, mouthing sorry and looking like he means it. I frown. What the hell did he take from me? I seem to remember everything except…
“Weren’t you telling me something?” I ask Brody, eyes narrowed in concentration, trying to remember. However, it’s kinda pretty much useless being that I can’t remember a memory that I no longer have.
“No,” Brody says. His eyes say that he’s lying; his voice says that he’s not. I frown.
I turn to Logan. “What did you take?” I ask, frowning deeply. He looks away from my eyes.
“Nothing,” he answers, and I roll my eyes, shooting him a glare. I suddenly feel very tired.
“I think I’m going to sleep now.” I say, and suddenly everyone is very alert, looking at me with concern. Still frowning, I lie down on my back and pull the blankets over me. Elena gives me a smile.
“Tomorrow will be better!” She says before leaving my room.
Logan smiles sadly at me and picks my hand up, squeezing it gently before leaving. Brody stares at me like he wants to say something, and I raise an eyebrow, confused.
“What were you going to tell me before?” I ask him, voice quiet. I see a muscle in Brody’s jaw twitch.
“Nothing.” He says, and leaves my room without saying anything else. I sigh. I’m probably freaking everybody out—that’s why they’re acting so weird. Cause I’m a bloody mess.
Um, literally. Not metaphorically.
 
 
When I wake up the next day, I notice two things.
The first, Margaret is sitting on my bed next to me.
The second, I’m covered in blood.
I sit bold upright, my eyes panicked, and turn to Margaret. “What’s happening?” I ask her, confusion plain in my voice.
Her hands flitter over my upper arm, skimming my skin and healing an open wound. I stare at the scar in shock, and Margaret looks at me with relief in her eyes.
“Oh, thank God you’re up.” She says, sighing and running her fingers over the skin on my collarbone where—surprise—another wound had been seconds before. “You’ve been asleep all night and most of today.” She tells me, and I raise an eyebrow. “We couldn’t wake you.” She explains. I look out the window and see that it’s already getting dark again.
I look down as Margaret’s fingers seal up another cut on my arm. “Why do I have so many cuts?” I ask her as she closes another one up. I stare at her hands in amazement—her fingers are stitching my skin back together. But there are no stitches. I look at Margaret as she sighs, panicked. Her blonde hair is piled on the top of her head in a messy bun and her pajamas are covered in my blood. Yet she still looks like she models for Victoria’s Secret.
Did I mention how unfair that is?
“D****t, I don’t know!” Margaret says, and then I really know she’s panicked because she never curses. Like, ever.
I sit in silence as blood pours from several wounds, running in scarlet rivers down my arms and stomach. Margaret’s hands smooth over my skin, as quickly as they can. The wounds keep appearing from nowhere, one after another.
I cough loudly, blood covering my hands. I look at Margaret and her eyes are wide, watching in silence as I cough more and more.
“Erik!” Margaret yells loudly in a panic, and I realize that Mr. Davenport’s first name is Erik. Something I never knew.
In the next two minutes Logan, Brody, and Mr. Davenport come running into my room, staring in horror at the sight in front of them.
The three of them stand there; mouths drops open, not knowing what to do. In between coughs, I ask a question.
“Isn’t Chase supposed to be back today?” I ask, and then cough some more. It really can’t be healthy to be loosing this much blood.
Logan presses his lips together. “He’s not answering his phone. I’ve called him a million times.” He tells me and I sigh, leaning back against the pillows.
“Today is my last day.” I announce, and dead silence follows my statement.
“No it’s not.” Brody says, his face not giving away any emotion other than his eyes, which are troubled.
Mr. Davenport looks at me seriously. “Is there anyone you want me to call?” He asks, not rejecting the idea that I’m going to die today.
I cough, shaking my head. “I just need to say goodbye to Chase.” I say quietly. My coughs are the only thing filling the silence. Brody’s knees give out, and he falls to the ground, eyes locked on me. Logan looks like he’s about to throw up, but he walks over to Brody and helps him up, shoving him into a chair, where he then sits, unmoving.
My eyelids flutter closed and my coughing stops, my breathing becoming shallow. I barely register Margaret’s hands as they flutter over the painful cuts opening up all over my stomach and arms.
I loose sense of time as I lay in my bed, covered in my blood, barely breathing. The various pains I feel don’t compare to the pain I feel from the constant battle I’m having with my body. I can’t die yet, I tell myself.
But my body disagrees, telling me that it’s time, and my sense of time isn’t the only sense I loose as I slowly, slowly drift away from consciousness, from the world.
When I first hear the voice—deep, silky, yet rough—I think I’ve died for real. It’s only when I hear the voice again, repeating something to me, that I realize that I’m not dead just yet. The voice echoes in my head as I realize what its saying.
“Don’t you dare stop breathing.”


© 2009 tayzer--


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the love twist with Brody....can't wait to read more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Aghhh, hurry up, add a new chapter!
:D

Ending's got me on the edge of my seat.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is very good. I like it a lot.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2009


Author

tayzer--
tayzer--

About
My name is Taylor, and I love to write. But so does everyone on here, right? So maybe I should stick to the really random stuff, that isn't common knowledge. I have a huge addiction to bubblegum. And.. more..

Writing
Cursed Cursed

A Book by tayzer--


Get With It Get With It

A Chapter by tayzer--


You're A What? You're A What?

A Chapter by tayzer--



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


You and Me Time You and Me Time

A Chapter by tayzer--


Epilogue Epilogue

A Chapter by tayzer--


Married in Vegas Married in Vegas

A Chapter by tayzer--


You're Magic You're Magic

A Chapter by tayzer--