Epilogue

Epilogue

A Chapter by tayzer--

 

Epilogue
 
Five years later….
 
“So, have you thought of any names?” Margaret asks me. She looks the same as she always has with blonde hair and gray streaks, high cheekbones and sparkling blue eyes. And at forty-six years old she still looks like a supermodel. Erik sits beside her, his dark hair a mix of salt-and-pepper. They sit on a couch, both of them smiling warmly at me and my husband. I turn to him, smiling, and he smiles back, filling me with an endless joy like he always has.
“We’ve actually picked a name,” Chase—my husband—tells them. I smile and look down at my left hand, twisting the diamond ring on my finger, and then look up at Margaret and Erik.
“Well, what is it?” Margaret asks, full of anticipation the way any grandmother would be. I place a hand over my slightly swollen belly and smile.
“We’re naming him Brody,” I tell them, looking up to gage their reaction. Margaret’s eyes prick with tears and she gets up from the couch to come sit beside me, wrapping her arms around my shoulders.
“It’s perfect.” She whispers, and I grin at her.
She gets up, walking over to Erik and pouring him more water, placing a slice of lemon in his glass.
I look up at the clock hanging on the wall and press my lips together. “I’m sorry to do this, but I’m going to have to leave a little bit early.” I say, glancing at the clock again. Chase looks at the clock as well, smiles, and looks back at me, helping me from the couch.
“No worries, Skye. It’s been good seeing you again.” Erik says, getting up to give me a hug. Ever since Chase and I got married and moved into a house of our own, I’ve seen less and less of Margaret and Erik. So we decided that we’d visit whenever we could, and today was one of those days.
I hug Margaret goodbye and then turn to Chase, smiling slightly. “I’ll see you in an hour.” I whisper when I kiss him goodbye. I rummage through my purse for my keys as I walk to my car, finding them and unlocking it with a quick beep. When I get into my car, I drive the same route I drive every two weeks.
And when I finally arrive at the graveyard, the familiar smell of trees and flowers surrounds me. Most people are frightened, or at least saddened by graveyards, but not me.
I park my car and get out, walking through the graveyard slowly, my heart feeling light. When I finally reach Brody’s grave I smile, sitting down in front of it.
“I would’ve brought flowers,” I say aloud, to Brody’s gravestone. To Brody. “But I don’t see you as the flower type.”
The wind rustles leaves around me and I wrap my pale blue cardigan around me tighter. “Chase and I decided on a baby name today.” I say, lying down in the grass with my hands on my bump of a stomach.
“We’re going to name him Brody,” I say, grinning up at the cloudy blue sky. My hair is spread out behind me, and I breathe in deeply. “After Brody Jenner, of course. Because, let’s face it, that is one attractive man.” I laugh to myself, picturing Brody rolling his eyes at me. “No, we’re really naming him after you. In honor of you.” I sigh, rolling on my side. “I wish you could be there when he’s born.”
And then, with a change of subject, I roll back onto my back, staring up at the sky. “Logan and Elena finally got engaged. It’s about time, right? The last time I was here I was telling you about how Elena knew Logan was about to, and how he was too chicken to actually do it. Well, he finally popped the question. And she said yes, of course.”
I smile, filling my lungs with fresh, clean air. “Hey, Brody,” I say suddenly, turning my head to look at his gravestone. “I wanted to thank you for something, but I’m not sure how to, so I guess I’ll just come out with it. You gave me your heart, even though mine belonged to someone else. And it didn’t matter to you. I needed a friend, so you were a friend. I needed a brother, and so you were my brother. You were whatever I needed you to be, and I want to thank you for that.” I sigh, twirling a piece of grass. “I know Chase beats himself up for not being the one to take a bullet for me, but in all honesty it’s my fault. I had Persuaded him to stay where he was and he couldn’t move for trying. And when the gun was pointed at me, I let my guard down and my Persuasion on you—only you—wavered. I should have concentrated harder.” I say, feeling a single tear slide down my cheek.
“But you knew what you were doing, and I can’t thank you enough for saving my life. I just wish you were still here, y’know? I miss you.” I say, sighing.
I sit up with some effort, my hands automatically going to my belly and I smile at Brody’s gravestone. “With that, Brody, I should be going. Chase has some work dinner, so I’m on my own tonight.” I yawn, standing up. “I’ll see you in two weeks, okay?” I say with a smile, kissing my fingertips and pressing them against his gravestone.
Feeling better about everything, the way I always do after visiting Brody, I head back to my car, driving home with a smile on my face. When I reach our house, a three-story with a cabin-look to it, I open the door and breathe in the smell of our life.
“Chase?” I call out, tossing my keys onto the table and skimming the envelopes sitting there. I smell something cooking and my stomach grumbles—hello, eating for two—and I wander into the kitchen. Chase is bent over a cookbook, his hair ruffled up and various pots boiling on the stove. “What’re you doing?” I ask, confused. “You have a work dinner tonight, you should be getting ready.”
Chase looks up and grins at me, leaving the stove to kiss me. “I cancelled.” He says, kissing me again. I smile, still confused.
“Why?”
“Because I’d much rather stay home with you.” He tells me, and I kiss him, wandering over to the stove. “What’re we making?” I ask, and he kisses the tip of my nose.
“You aren’t making a thing. You hate cooking.” He grins, tying on an apron. “I, on the other hand, am making us dinner.”
I laugh, helping him tie on the apron and grin, kissing him once more before wandering into the family room, where rose petals and candles are set about. I grin. I don’t think I’ve ever seen another wife this spoiled.
And I have to admit, I don’t mind it one bit.
I wander back into the kitchen, grinning. “I love you,” I say, suddenly and Chase looks up, sending me a smile.
“I love you too.” He says.
 
 
And that, my dear friends, is where our story ends. Well, not really. But this is where I stop telling you about our story.
Because we all have a story just waiting to be told. So, how about, for a change, you tell me yours.
Because you know when I said fairytales don’t exist? Well, they totally do.


© 2009 tayzer--


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed your story, I like the style of your writer the way you tell it!!! Nice, can't wait to read more

Posted 14 Years Ago


Holy...crap.

Effing fantastic story! [:
The ending had me in tears.

You're so great at writing these kinds of stories. I hope you write more of them!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 24, 2009


Author

tayzer--
tayzer--

About
My name is Taylor, and I love to write. But so does everyone on here, right? So maybe I should stick to the really random stuff, that isn't common knowledge. I have a huge addiction to bubblegum. And.. more..

Writing
Cursed Cursed

A Book by tayzer--


Get With It Get With It

A Chapter by tayzer--


You're A What? You're A What?

A Chapter by tayzer--



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Married in Vegas Married in Vegas

A Chapter by tayzer--


You're Magic You're Magic

A Chapter by tayzer--