Chapter3

Chapter3

A Chapter by theopenbook

Chapter 3

 

 

“Impossible!” Ritesh said.

 

We were sitting in his room at the NGO, which he shared with two other boys of his age.

 

“Its done dude,” I told him as I lay back on his bed and stared off into the ceiling.

 

“She is a human and they are not supposed to see us.” Ritesh practically shouted, “It’s against the law of universe.” He flung out his arms in frustration.

 

“It’s I who needs to worry, okay? Why are you overreacting anyway?” I asked him now resting on my side to face him.

 

 

“Because you are taking all this too lightly.”

 

“No, you are overreacting because I am not.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yeah dude. Just cool down. She is a nice girl.” I said as I faced the ceiling back again.

 

“‘Nice girl’ so that’s what it has come too? She might be a demon's offspring for all you know. You know how they are. They are so good at pretending and all that witchy stuff and plus they hate us-“

 

“You sound like my mom you know? And by the way demons don’t hate us they hate our freedom. We were told that when we-“

 

“I bloody well know about the demons so save yourself all that trouble. You don’t need to show off like that.”

 

“Yeah I don’t need to show off because I am pretty smart.”

 

Ritesh slumped back in his chair and shook his head at me. I knew he thought that I was going crazy but strangely I was least bothered about that. In fact I was enjoying being crazy.

 

“Who is she anyway?” Ritesh asked me.

 

“She studies in your school. She might be in your batch. Her name is Sana.” I replied and instantly my thoughts filled once again with her face, her beautiful eyes, and her small quite voice. And before I could stop myself I was grinning like a fool.

 

“No ways!” Ritesh jumped up.

 

“Tell me that you are not talking about Sana Mehra.” He whined, now standing over me.

 

I raised myself on my elbow and looked at him wondering whether or not to smack his head off.

 

“I don’t know her last name dude.” I told him.

 

“Describe her.” he said.

 

I sighed.

 

“Short with pretty hazel eyes. Brownish hair I think and a sweet face. And-“

 

“Looks a bit mousy type and gets emotional very easily.” he finished for me as I stared at him when he took his face in his hands.

 

“You know her?” I asked him.

 

He gave a maniacal laugh.

 

“Know her? She is in my class dude. And off all the girls that could see you why did it had to be her? You don’t know how weird she is.”

 

“Oh yeah? Like what?” I sat up and folded my arms across my chest.

 

“Dude she cries on the drop off a hat. Is such an emotional fool. And many people even say that she is an attention seeker, drama queen and what-“

 

“Ritesh you don’t even know her to talk like that about her.” I retorted.

 

 

“And you think you know her. Dude you spent an hour with her and then suddenly you are like swooning around with her name tapped on your forehead. She is danger and you just stay away from her.”

 

“You don’t need to tell me what to do okay?”

 

“I am your best friend and I have every right to keep you in your wits, okay?”

 

I stood up.

 

“But what are you doing is called interfering.” I told him.

 

“Sana is a very nice girl and it took me only an hour to figure that about her, unlike you who have been around her but still doesn't know her well. Did you ever even tried to talk to her? You are just making assumptions on what other people are saying Ritesh, and I do not like it.”

 

I turned on my heel and started out when his voice stopped me in my tracks.

 

“I am just worried that’s it. Because all this- a human seeing a soul is worrying me that’s all”

 

“I know Ritesh. It’s worrying me too. Just a little.” I said and walked out of the door.

 

 

 

 

 

I did not see Sana for two days after that.

 

Honestly I was a little nervous, not because i didn’t know where to meet her or how, I was nervous well because I wanted to see her too much. Like I have never wanted to see anyone before.

 

I didn’t know what attracted me towards her. She was but only a human. And the only human who could see me. In a way it was dangerous and a thing that I should be worrying about but instead of figuring a way out of this situation I was going under its surface. Because every time I tried to think and tell myself that what’s happening shouldn’t happen and that I should maintain a distance from Sana, her beautiful eyes would come in front of mine and then I would relive that moment when she had directly looked at me and made me feel what I have never felt before. Something that I wanted to feel more often.

 

And that was wrong. Souls are not made to feel, they are just the remains of the dead. They wander and wander through the centuries hollow in heart and with no warmth of a living being.

 

When I could no longer stop that need to see her again, I made my way to the school hoping to catch her again.

 

I came to the school during the last hour. I felt nervous as I made my way towards Ritesh’s class. When I peeped in I found the class half empty. But I saw Ritesh sitting at the back doing something that looked like- I rubbed my eyes twice- homework.

 

He suddenly looked up and saw me standing at the door. I mouthed the word ‘Sana’ to him. He shook his head and closed his eyes as if in a prayer. Then he mouthed back at me ‘art room’. I winked at him and gave him a broad smile and hurried through the corridors.

 

When I found her in the art room she was talking to a bald man who was probably in his forties. It seemed as if they were having an intense discussion about something. After a while Sana gave him a smile and went back to a canvas that sat at the back of the room. She lifted its cover and gazed at the painting.

 

As soon as I took one step towards her a loud shrill voice ran all around me and I covered my ears, cursing badly inside my head. In what seemed like a century the hellish sound subsided and someone patted me on the shoulder.

 

I turned around to find those lovely pair of hazel eyes, which had been in my thoughts for a long time.

 

“Um- that’s just a school bell you know.” She said rolling her eyes at me.

 

“I know,” I replied, “souls are sensitive to loud sounds.”

 

“Ok, then that must be the reason you are shinning today and standing.”

 

“What?” I exclaimed as I looked at myself.

 

“Yeah! You are actually standing on the solid ground” she looked at me up and down.

 

“strange.” I said to myself.

 

“Sana!” a voice called and she turned around to face that middle aged, balding man who I now supposed was her art teacher.

 

“Yes sir?” she replied crossing the room over to him.

 

“Are you not going home today? And what are you looking at so intently at the opposite wall?” he inquired.

 

“Nothing sir. I was just thinking if we could have a wall art done at our next exhibition.” She swiftly lied.

 

“Hmmm. Let me think about it. It’s not a bad idea I must say.” And then he smiled at her and gently patted her head and picked up his bag and left the room.

 

“Come on let’s go.” She called out to me.

 

She packed her things into her school bag and then led the way out of the room.

 

“I was wondering that strange things have started happening to me since I met you.” I said.

 

“Yeah. I was wondering about that too.” She said as we started descending the stairs.

 

“So is there a committee in your world which looks after all the souls and what’s going in the other world?” she asked.

 

“Now that you mentioned it there is one. It’s called G.O.N.E. Government of the Non Existent.”

 

“So why are they not here and trying to figure out why I can see you and why you are changing?” she asked.

 

“I don’t know. Maybe they have not known about it yet.” I shrugged.

 

“So you are not worried about what may happen in the future if I don’t stop seeing you?”

 

“I don’t worry about anything. I think if the life is tangled then it might untangle itself on its own. Worrying just tangles it more and it’s a total waste of time.”

 

She just nodded. And then stopped midway on the stairs.

 

“Will ever think about being a human again?” she asked out of the blue.

 

“No I don’t think so.” I replied, “And even if I want to be a human again then I don’t think I can.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you only get the choice once. If you decide the wandering path then they give you another ten years too think about it, and even then if you take the wandering then you remain a Wandering Soul forever. Yes you can move on to afterlife but not to being human again.” I explained.

 

“So how many years do you have left now?” she asked.

 

I laughed.

 

“Sana I have been around for 50 years.” I said, “And I am one of the oldest souls around.”

 

“How old is the oldest?”

 

“Two hundred and fifty years.” I answered.

 

“Wow. So you think you can break the record?” she asked grinning.

 

“I can try.”

 

We walked out of the main doors and onto the padded lane that led out of the school. We both said nothing as we walked though I knew there were questions brimming inside her head and I wondered why she was quiet.

 

“Are you really not worried about that shinning and not floating thing?” She shaded her eyes as she looked at me. I realised that I must be glistening very badly.

 

“Are you?” I asked back.

 

“Well yeah! I mean I don’t want some innocent soul-no pun intended- to get into trouble just because I happened to cross his path.”

 

“Don’t worry I won’t take your name if they ask me.”I smiled at her.

 

“Your I-don’t-give-a-damn attitude is very frightening sometimes.”

 

“My best friend thinks the same thing, though he never says that in my face.”

 

“And who is your best friend?” she asked.

 

“Don’t freak out because he is Ritesh Shah from your class. And before you ask, yes he was a soul before.”

 

She stared open-mouthed at me.

 

“That explains why you hang around in here.” She quietly said.

 

“You got that right.”

 

“So why do you hand around me?” she looked at me directly.

 

I was speechless for a moment as the way she looked into my eyes worked its magic over me.

 

“Well- um I " you know-. Stop looking at me like that.” I finally said.

 

“Like what?”

 

“Like you are looking at me now.” I said and she raised her eyebrows at me.

 

“I honestly don’t know why I hang around you. I’ll think about it and let you know okay?”

 

“Well I don’t happen to know many souls but if I did I would say that you are certainly the weirdest.” she said turning her back to me and starting out of the school and towards the long row of buses waiting for the students.

 

“Well I do know some humans and I can tell you that you are certainly the most strange.” I replied back.

 

“Well I being strange would be because I can see you- a soul.”

 

“No it would be because I stand you for more than fifteen minutes.” I grinned at her.

 

“Nobody told you to stand me okay? You are very welcome to go on.” she shot back and before I could follow she crossed the road towards her bus.

 

But I followed anyways.

 

“So goodbye till I see you again.” I said as she was going to hop onto her bus.

 

She didn’t reply and went ahead to sit by a window seat.

 

“Are you annoyed with me?” I asked her as I sat beside her with a smirk on my face.

 

She spoke hardly moving her lips.

“I don’t want people to wonder why I am talking to air.”

 

“Okay then goodbye.” I stood up.

 

Looking behind and sideways she quietly replied.

 

“Hope you get normal the next time I see you.”

 

I smiled and shook my head.

 

“If I get normal then how would you see me?” I said and turned to get off the bus.

 

On the road I waved to her as her bus started to take off.

And when she smiled back, I felt my heart do summersaults.

 

“So this is the girl who can see you.” someone said from behind.

 

I turned around to face a man-soul, floating and wearing navy blue uniform and smiling at me.

 

“Excuse me?” I said confused.

 

“Mr Aarav Raj I am Hugh Collor from the G.O.N.E. and I am here to inquire your recent developments involving a human girl. But as I observe the circumstances the organisation is late in it’s inquiry because you look like a lantern.”

 

“Listen-“I started but he raised his hand.

 

“I would request you to come with me quietly to be presented in front of the President to discuss your new developments.”

 

“I know-“

 

But he had already reached for my arm and then the world around me changed as I entered the place called Somewhere In Between and it’s governing institution called G.O.N.E

 

And then suddenly for the first time in 50 years I felt as if I was in trouble.

 

 



© 2011 theopenbook


Author's Note

theopenbook
please read and review:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

OOh, things are heating up! Reading on...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Other that grammatical stuff, it was pretty good. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


it was really great i was totally into it the whole time ha i really enjoyed it[: just needs a little fixing up on the grammar and spelling [: but other than that it was amazing ^_^

Posted 12 Years Ago


A really interesting supernatural, after-life concept. So far so good, very interesting:)

Yas

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 21, 2011


Author

theopenbook
theopenbook

Delhi, Delhi, India



About
i just love books because they help me to fight my loneliness:) more..

Writing
Friends Friends

A Story by theopenbook