Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Goddamned Middle

Goddamned Middle

A Poem by The Purple Kazoo
"

when i wrote this, i thought i was genderqueer. for those who don't know, that means that i didn't identify as a boy or a girl, though i am biologically female.

"

 

I am stuck

in the goddamned middle

somewhere between

tomboy

and stereotypical gay boy

 

you and the rest of the world

want to know

why are you dressed like that?

 

you look puzzled

and as your eyebrows scrunch together:

wait, you are a girl,

aren’t you?

 

no.

 

I have a vagina,

but no.

 

almost,

but still no.

 

 

but I’m not a boy,

either.

 

I’ve tried the tux

and the evening gown

and both feel alien,

not quite right.

 

 

my gender

(as far as I know)

 

is undetermined

 

and indeterminate.

 

neither

 

label

 

fits.

© 2009 The Purple Kazoo


Author's Note

The Purple Kazoo
quick note: queerophobes can burn in hell. if you have a problem with me, message me. save yourself the humiliation of overreacting on the internet; keep it between us. and don't say i didn't warn you when i curse you out and/or stop replying to your messages.
and DON'T try to tell me that i'm sick or confused. i won't believe it.

on a more poetic note: opinions on the linebreaks and indentations??

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have no opinion about the line breaks or indentations. I'm no poet by a long shot. With regard to your writing, I find it an interesting view to your inner self. I know your young yet and lifes a journey, albeit a very confusing one even for those considered 'normal,' whatever that truly means. At least you have a feel for who you are as a person, which is most important in life. Who knows, as time passes the gender question may work itself out. If not, at least you know who you are.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I liked it!!! no one should have to settle for labels, so just be you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


well if they tell you that you are, you shouldn't believe it.
and you are a girl, you just don't want to be everything that comes along with it. (just a humble opinion)
anyway, i'd blame it on the society.

about the linebreaks and indentations, i wouldn't know what that meant if you translated it in croatian.... but the poem was easy to read, it had a flow, and... it's a very good write.

O.J.

Posted 15 Years Ago


For one, you are NOT sick or confused. You seem to be a very certain and normal person. You are just yourself. If you weren't, then maybe you would be sick and confused.
But poetically, this poem is really good. I like the line-breaks and indentations. It's got a real story and real meaning. Nothing cliche. Good write.
-michelle

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

228 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 15, 2009
Last Updated on March 3, 2009

Author

The Purple Kazoo
The Purple Kazoo

[unfortunately not NYC], NY



About
i go as many names--meghan, shay, zeek, kazoo, kaz, purp, and The Chosen One (ok, i'm joking about that last one). YES: vegan girls for dates eighth grade parentheses kazoos running hockey s.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..