Zero: The Fool

Zero: The Fool

A Chapter by ScarletCarson
"

Samantha Porter is an exceptionally bright, special child. However, she is pride's victim, and is kept prisoner in her father's beautiful house.

"
Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man.
—C.S. Lewis
 
The young couple looked worriedly towards their five-month-old daughter who was—much to their astonishment—making a little pyramid out of colored alphabet blocks and sitting up on her own—with much effort, but it was still unusual.
 
“Doctor, does this mean...” James Porter tried to muster all his courage to say it. "Our child is abnormal?"
 
“James!” Lianne, his wife, chided reproachfully, glaring at him.
 
“Mr. Porter, I've seen worse cases before,” the doctor said gently, consolingly. "Your child is simply very special. She will grow normally just like any other child, but her mental development will be accelerated, exceeding even the above average. Even the field of medicine has never witnessed this kind of human development before."
 
The couple was silent for a moment until Lianne spoke up. “Does this mean our daughter will learn to talk earlier than most children?”
 
The doctor shook his head. “No. Though I have a strong feeling that she will be able to easily convey what she wishes to tell you, with a mind such as hers. She will be very easy to understand, thus eliminating your problem of trying to figure out her needs, as it is with parents of typical five-month-olds like her. Personally, Mrs. Porter, I think she will be very easy to take care of.”
 
James frowned. “Wouldn’t other parents notice this...difference?”
 
“Of course it is noticeable. But really, Mr. Porter, there isn’t anything to be worried about. It’s only a case of accelerated development, and it’s quite common. The only unusual thing about it is that it will be faster than what anyone has seen before. Other than being able to effectively communicate with you, I think your little one can pick up what you will be saying more easily than normal as well.” The doctor seemed very delighted as he said this.
 
Lianne nodded, smiling. “Did you hear that, James? Our daughter will become more intelligent than anyone else! What a wonderful gift.”
 
“More like a curse,” James muttered under his breath, and fortunately neither Lianne nor the doctor heard.
 
“Well then,” the doctor said, standing up with a broad smile on his face, “I’m sure you will soon be seeing how different your child will be from the rest. I hope you wouldn't mind telling me how she progresses, Mr. Porter...?”
 
James didn't say anything, but Lianne spoke up. “We will be glad to, Doctor. Like you, we also want to find out an explanation for this unusual development you told us about. Thank you very much for your time.”
 
“It’s nothing, Mrs. Porter. This is what we are meant to do. I’ll see you soon,” the doctor said gallantly as he held the door of his clinic open for the couple and their daughter.
 
“Don’t you think this is splendid, James?” Lianne asked proudly as she carried her giggling, gurgling little one. “Our daughter is smarter than normal! At least we know it won't be a problem for us to send her to school, or...”
 
“I don’t think she needs school, Lianne,” James said in a firm tone that could never be contested by his wife.
 
“But...what?” Lianne's voice reduced itself to a squeaky whisper, while inside she was completely incredulous at how James looked just now.
 
“We’re not sending her to school,” James repeated, giving Lianne the devastating confirmation that she’d heard him right.
 
“Why not?” Lianne demanded, unable to believe it. “James, our child has potential! She has the means to become anything she wishes, and to succeed in it! Wouldn’t you want that for her?”
 
“If she has the means to become anything she wants, she can figure that out on her own, if she is as smart as the doctor said she would be,” James retorted with a steel note of finality. “That will save us an enormous expense. Moreover, Lianne, our child might get too acquainted with her ability that she will use it to undermine my authority. And you know I don't enjoy such a feeling.”
 
“What do you mean to do?” Lianne asked slowly, a horrifying feeling rising up from the pit of her stomach.
 
“What I mean to do? I’m sure you know it, my dear. We must not let this child of ours know what goes on outside. We will keep her safe, sheltered, and under our command as long as she lives under our roof...which is, most likely, for the rest of her life. Besides, we will need someone to care for us when we get old, don’t you think?”
 
Lianne’s eyes blazed. Evidently she did not enjoy this arrangement, but when James set his mind to something it was nigh impossible for him to falter in his objective. James normally thought of no one but himself, which made several people question his intentions for marrying and begetting a little girl in the first place. But being the wife, and living in a patriarchal, macho complex-driven society such as this, Lianne had no other choice but to obey.
 
Yet in her heart she vowed to set her little daughter free, one way or another...no matter what it took.
 
* * *
 
So goes the story of Samantha Porter, thirteen years old. Her sanctuary has always been, and will always be, the attic of the beautiful three-storey house her parents purchased upon the birth of her little sister, Louisa.
 
Fortunately, the attic in which Samantha lived was not bare, as James had initially intended it to be. Lianne had insisted that the attic be filled with books for Samantha to read, but even these books were filtered and censored as a compromise. Fairytales were allowed. Stories with happy endings were let in. Stories whose protagonists were obedient, faithful and impossibly loyal were highly encouraged. Otherwise, the more realistic, substantial stories were frowned upon by James Porter, and he would not have Samantha read them. “It’ll ruin your perception of the world,” James had said, “and it won't do you good, Samantha. You’re meant for better things, not to stoop down to such levels as that.” Thus, treasures such as The Diary of Anne Frank, Pride and Prejudice and even The Joy Luck Club became unknown to this young lady.
 
Now Samantha may be thirteen, but she had a mind and heart far beyond her years. She knew her father was being hypocritical. He tried to make various points sound pleasing in order for him to have his way. Samantha had once been too young to know that, being dumbly obedient back then, but her inborn smarts had enabled her to see through this fakeness much earlier than one would expect. Yet she knew better than to challenge her father's so-called “family standards”. His narrow mind would only lead him to think she was being a rebellious child if she even tried to stand up an inch for herself.
 
Before Samantha could think herself unlucky, there was her mother Lianne. Here was someone who understood her better. Lianne saw her young daughter’s infinite potential, and also the frustration her child felt at not being able to use this to the fullest. Thus, unbeknownst to James, Lianne slipped Samantha the most extraordinary books, newspapers, DVDs and other things that would've sent her husband straight through the roof had he known.
 
Now, it's Louisa’s third birthday, and because she was James’s favorite, an elaborate party is being set in the backyard. Louisa had, in stark contrast to Samantha, an extremely slow development. At three years old, she still could not talk, only warble strings of gibberish as if she were pronouncing God’s word. But the main reason why James doted on her so was simply because Louisa was unconditionally, indomitably obedient to him. She thought anything her dad said and talked about was the gospel truth, and that was how James wanted his children to be: thinking just like him, acting just like him, possessing his principles, and all that male narcissism.
 
Naturally, Lianne didn't like it, for she was a woman with strength. But James had one rebuttal for that, which was: “Lianne, you chose to marry me in the first place...therefore, you should adjust to me. I am the head of the family.” Case closed. Lianne couldn’t argue—not because she gave up, but because she knew arguing would only wear her out. James would get all fired up trying to insist he was right, and there will be no way to prove him otherwise. He had too plausible a tongue.
 
Today, Louisa is dressed in a bright, baby pink sundress, handpicked for her by James, naturally. Samantha can see how her father dotes on his second-born daughter through her window: he never strayed from Louisa's side, wanting to hold her hand wherever she went. Lianne had insisted earlier than Samantha draw the curtains and go read her “forbidden” books and watch her “forbidden” DVDs instead, since her father would be very preoccupied throughout the day anyway.
 
But Samantha had shaken her head in disagreement, saying, “Mom, it's alright. I’m thirteen now, I’m quite used to this already.”
 
Yet it was impossible to miss the look in Lianne’s eyes: that look of the hurt she shared with her firstborn.
 
Suddenly Samantha hears soft footsteps going towards her room, snapping her out of her reverie. She turns to the door expectantly, wondering who it could be.
 
“Sam, darling?” It’s Lianne, she pops her head into the room.
 
“Mom?” Samantha stands up.
 
“I almost forgot, but I got you something,” Lianne says, smiling conspiratorially. “Here.” She hands her daughter a large brown paper bag.
 
Samantha’s eyes light up, as they do whenever she knows her mother has brought her something her father had attempted to censor in vain.
 
“What are they?” Samantha asks excitedly.
 
“Hmmm...the entire Artemis Fowl series so far. I’m quite sure you’ll enjoy it, the main character reminds me so much of you. Then there’s also a DVD of The Secret, it's something new I heard from my friends. What else...oh, there’s The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Last Templar and other books of that genre. I remember you telling me you wanted these kinds of books.”
 
Samantha smiles gratefully. Her mother never failed to keep her occupied on an otherwise dull day. “Thank you, Mom.” She gives Lianne an appreciative hug.
 
Lianne returns the hug, and looks straight into her daughter’s eyes. “Samantha, you’re thirteen, and I know you understand more than anyone thinks,” she says, “so I will tell you something. One day, when you're old enough, or when you know you're ready, there will be an opportunity for you to shine. I don’t know for sure when it’ll arrive, but you will know precisely when it does yourself. You will be able to feel it deep inside your soul. And when that opportunity comes, my darling, don't hesitate! Take it right away, right when it's under your nose! Make it yours, make every moment count. You never know, it might be the day you'll be able to hone your true strength.”
 
Samantha laughs. “You sound like you’re prophesying, Mom. And I think you’re only saying that because you are my mom, after all.”
 
“No, no, it's true, my dear. It happens to everyone. But not everyone is aware of it, or not everyone wants to bear the brunt of it all afterward. You, sweetheart, are completely different. I saw it from the moment you were born,” Lianne says proudly, with a smug smile on her face.
 
Samantha can only smile, since she knows her own situation, and she knows that it’ll only be a dream for her to be actually free to think, feel, and live as she so wished.
 
“Lianne! Where are you?” James's voice booms, and both mother and daughter start.
 
“Well, there goes your father,” Lianne says with a little sigh. “You’ll be okay here?”
 
“Yes, Mom. Thank you again,” Samantha says, and her mother kisses her swiftly on her forehead before leaving.
 
Samantha sighs as she closes the door behind her and picks up the first of the Artemis Fowl series. The cover shines a bright gold, as if beckoning for her to read. Heaving a silent sigh of resignation to a life as a brilliant hermit forever hidden from the world, she opens the book and enjoys the rest of her day following Artemis’s adventures, marveling over his uncanny genius.
 
* * *
 
“Ah, Fred, so glad to see you!” James approaches Frederick Hart, one of his good friends and Louisa’s godfather.
 
Frederick smiles in return and replies, “Yes, James, it’s been quite a while. I can’t believe Louisa’s turned three already.” He looks at his bouncing, talkative goddaughter. “How time flies...makes us all feel old, doesn’t it?”
 
James laughs. “Yes, you said it! I’m so proud of my Louisa, Fred. Just the other day, she said her first word! And it was Papa! Never have I been so touched as that day...even now it still gets me how she looked at me so brightly.”
 
Frederick nods in agreement. “That’s wonderful, James.”
 
“I think she’s progressing quite well despite her...well, slight handicap, to be frank. I’m sending her to a special school soon. What do you think?”
 
“Hmmm. I think that would be a good idea. If she’s progressing quite well right now, I believe it’s the right time to do so already.”
 
James smiles broadly at his friend’s comment. Suddenly he sees Louisa trip over a large gift box and land on her bottom as the beginnings of a bawl contort her little face. He hurries off to help and clean up the mess.
 
Frederick watches for a moment until Lianne calls him. “Fred!” she laughs as he smiles at her. “How are you? So glad you could come today.”
 
“As am I, Lianne,” Frederick answers with a nod. “Hey, I’d like to ask, how’s your eldest going along?”
 
“Oh, well...” Lianne looks a bit guarded, and then sighs. “She’s still quite sick. I don't think she can be in a well enough condition to attend a school at all. She barely eats and is never without a cold or a cough. It’s sad, but I guess that’s why James prefers to keep her at home. It would be very risky just leaving her somewhere...what if something happens, and we couldn’t get to her in time? It’d be awful...”
 
“I understand,” Frederick says, looking sympathetic.
 
But as he looks up to the attic window of the Porters’ residence, there is something he can sense. He knows it’s all a lie, whatever Lianne and James are telling him. Underneath the truth, though...
 
He closes his eyes for a moment, as if avowing to himself, and returns to the party, where he can hear James call out for his help in assisting Louisa.


© 2009 ScarletCarson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting writing and hope to keep reading more of your work!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


AMAZING! I envy your writing style. It is so compelling.

The use of words emphasizes it to the right amount of excitement. :D

I wish to read more of your works someday.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I loved it! It drew me right in and it had such an interesting plot. Even though I should be getting ready for school, I sat and read this instead :] I know the feeling of wanting to finish a novel, so this is my "you go girl" pep talk, haha! But this was awesome!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

good start. I love how you wrote this and can't wait to read more, keep writing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like this! I really want to hear more!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hmmmm... I like it! Keep writing, I think it sounds pretty interesting :D

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

275 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 15, 2009
Last Updated on October 2, 2009


Author

ScarletCarson
ScarletCarson

Paranaque, Philippines



About
Nikki's nineteen, materially deprived-ish, and a college student. She loves to write, and would love to finish a novel for once. She is crazy, loud, brash and really, really loves to laugh. Even at th.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Torn Torn

A Poem by Sean M. Addams