Designation Day

Designation Day

A Chapter by ThisIsBatman

Ding Dong!!!

          “Be there in a second!” I yell to the person standing at the door, though I know they can’t hear me. Ding Dong Ding Dong Ding Dong!!! “I’m coming!!” I run down the stairs and straight to the front door. Right as I’m about to open it, Ding Dong!!!

“Hello, are you Kaidyn Rockwell?” said one of the people at my door, wearing a purple suit and matching tie.

          “Yes, can I help you?”

          “Come with me,” they replied as they reached for my wrist. I grabbed my jacket and followed them to their car. They explained to me that today was my Designation Day, and that there was nothing to worry about.

          When we got to the Hall, I saw a line of kids and other Guardians who had been chosen that day. They all looked happy, the Guardians’ tails wagging ninety miles an hour as the children giggled at their new friends’ tricks. They calmed me a little, as I was very nervous about today. Today was my first Designation Day, where Guardians get paired up with a child somewhere in the world. I watched as the Guardians showed off a little, and children smiled and twirled in delight.

          I walked up to the stand where I would be assigned a child to look after. I stood, shaking a little, in fear of who I may get. I closed my eyes as an Elder came in with a child. I heard a gasp of surprise, as the children never know where they are headed, or what is going to happen in this room. I opened my eyes to see a little girl about up to my waist, who came up to me and giggled. “Kaidyn, meet Lilith Quinn Hallowell. She is your new child. She is four years old, so you will watch over her for the next fourteen years. Are you ready?”

          “Yes, ma’am,” I replied, “I’m very ready.” The little girl at my side looked up at me and gave me a big hug, asking all sorts of questions, like what my favorite color was and why I looked like a wolf and how I was going to kill her monster. She didn’t quite explain what her monster was, though, except for the fact that she was scared and that her monster was really bad.

          “Please help me, Kaidyn, please. I’m scared.” She started to cry, and I picked her up into my arms, holding her tight so she would feel comforted. After a few minutes, she stopped crying. I tried asking a little bit about this monster, but every time I did, she would just say, “It’s really big, Kaidyn. Like, bigger than you!”

          I gave up on asking about it, figuring I’d find out about it sooner or later. I took her to the park and pushed her on the swing until I was too frightened to push her any higher. Suddenly, she screamed. I immediately stopped the swing and held her tight. “What’s wrong, Lilith?”

          She pointed behind a tree and whimpered a little. “It’s following me, puppy,” she cried, “Why does it want me?”

          I let her on my back and started walking over there. “The tree isn’t out to get you, Lil. It’s just there.”

          “No! Not the tree!” she yelled. I was puzzled, so I walked around the tree, with Lilith whimpering behind me.

          “There’s nothing here, Lil Quinn. What did you see?”

          “My monster! It follows me and scares me and it’s always here!”

          “Well, I’m here to protect you, okay? I won’t let your monster hurt you,” I said, attempting to reassure her, though I didn't know what I getting myself into. I have to ask my Leader next time I see him…



© 2015 ThisIsBatman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on April 29, 2015
Last Updated on April 29, 2015


Author

ThisIsBatman
ThisIsBatman

Springfield, MO



About
I'm in 10th grade, and love reading and writing. Um, I'm not sure what else to say here, but check me out! more..

Writing
Chap. 1 Chap. 1

A Chapter by ThisIsBatman