Chapter 1 - In the Beginning

Chapter 1 - In the Beginning

A Chapter by Tim Holt, Author

Chapter 1 - In the Beginning

 

Two Years Ago

The temple of warriors and magicians, Ellurida

 

“Focus Gildor, train your mind, you must be less vunerable to the magic of your foes.” said Aeglais, the master of the temple.

 

“Yes master.”

 

Gildor was trying, but magic is a different type of fighting and Gildor preferred the art of physical fighting. He cleared his mind, ready for his opponent’s attack. It came sooner than he expected. A second of warning and a fireball shot straight toward him. He voiced the incantation in his mind and quickly deflected the attack with his arms, but the flames burned him, not a sign of good deflection.

 

Gildor was obviously less apt in the skills of magic, but the rules of this duel were not magic alone, you could use weapons, Gildor just had to figure out how. His opponent let loose a ball of energy in the shape of a sword. Gildor quickly dodged this, but it had given him an idea. Quickly unloosing his bow, he yelled aloud and energy ran through the bow. He pulled back the string as hard as he could and loosed the arrow, and the effect was very unexpected. White energy pulsed through the arrow and screamed toward it’s target. His opponent was caught off guard and quickly made an incantation which turned into a shield of rock forming right out of the tournament floor. Gildor’s arrow struck true and the shield and arrow shattered. His opponent was off guard from the flying dust.

 

Gildor took advantage of the opening and sprang across the floor. He whipped out his dagger and leapt upon his opponent. The dagger at the opposition’s throat, Aeglais called out “Enough!”

 

Both breathing heavily, they stood up.

 

“Very good Gildor, you have done well to think during a fight. Your training is over. I reward you the rank of master warrior. With this rank comes your new mission, which will be contained in a scroll in your chambers.”

 

Gildor stood motionless but inside he was screaming with excitement. No one had ever been rewarded the rank of master warrior at the age of fifteen before. No one had ever been that young. Then the talking of his master brought him back to reality.

 

“And you Selria...” 

 

Gildor froze with shock, he slowly looked over at his opponent. Selria was the name of the lead elf’s daughter. It was impossible. Gildor had known Selria since his childhood. They never spent much time together, she was always off somewhere secret, which Gildor now realized had been training in this temple.

 

“Gildor and Selria, the duel is over. You may now remove your masks.”

 

They both took off their dueling masks and Gildor realized for the first time how beautiful Selria was. Her light blonde hair was splayed across her face with sweat. Her body was slender like a willow wand, her white skin shining like the sun. The vibrant blue eyes were like a thousand waterfalls shimmering in the sun, captivating and breathtaking.

 

“You are dismissed.”

 

….

 

“You fight good,” Selria said

 

“So do you Selria,” Gildor replied.

 

He was surprised he could get those words out, he was still enthralled by her beauty.

 

“You have trained here for many years. I have watched you from my window many times dueling others.” Selria said.

 

“How did you know it was me? I always had my dueling mask on,” Gildor inquired

 

“Your fighting style is like none other. You have reflexes and cunning that no other elf in this temple possesses. You are an excellent marksmen and an amazing swordsman.” Selria said, and she looked into his eyes.

 

“Thank you,” he said, feeling heat rise to his face, “You are an amazing fighter too, so this is where you go   when no one can find you?”

“Yes and no,” she replied, “I go here and to another secret location my father once showed me. If you have time tomorrow i would love to show you, it is the most beautiful thing i have ever looked upon.”

 

“I would be delighted.” Gildor said.

 

….

 

“Here we are,” said Selria.

 

All Gildor could do was stare at the sight. They were on top of a cliff that overlooked a valley. The valley was shaped like a bowl. There were waterfalls on all sides with the sun shimmering on their faces. The many rivers formed into one great river in the center that flowed out to form the Ondruas river in the Ellurilda valley. Then the sun shifted, and what once was shadow formed into dazzling sunlight, so that every hour of the day there was something new to look at. The entrance was by a secret cave in a mountain, and only the head elf of the valley and selected others knew about the Valley of Polaria. Here was where the famous elf wizard first unlocked the secrets of magic. Many scholar’s and magicians came here at times to rest and meditate.

 

“This was where my mother and father shared their first kiss, and where they were pledged to be married. My father was only little older than we are now,” she recalled, “Is it the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?”

 

“No.” Gildor said.

 

She looked deep and long into his eyes, and once again he was stricken by the deepness of those blue eyes. “Then what is the most beautiful sight you have ever seen?”

 

He took her hand in his. For a second she tensed, but then she relaxed and squeezed his hand.

 

“The most beautiful sight i have seen is you.” And he stared into her eyes, awaiting the reaction. Nothing at first, she just looked thoughtful. Then the barest hint of a smile, then she pressed up against him.

 

“I guess I will have to revise my list of the most amazing sights i have ever seen.” she said, and she kissed him.

 

….

 

Back in his room, still euphoric with love for Selria, he saw the scroll on his bed and for a moment was confused, then he remembered his mission. He opened the scroll and read the contents:

 

Follow Your Heart

 

He was baffled. What did that mean?

 

Follow my heart? I have heard of other great warriors going and defeating great foes, becoming great legends, people making great songs of them. I have never heard of great warriors just following their hearts.

 

….

 

“Master, the scroll said to follow my heart, what does that mean?” Gildor asked

 

“Exactly what it says,” Master Aeglais replied, “Where does your heart tell you to go”

 

“Most great warriors do great things, but now that i think about it, my heart still resides in Ellurida.”

 

“Then that is where you must stay!” Master Aeglais said, “If you want my advice, stay here until something arises worthy of your talents!”

 

“Yes Master.”

 



© 2008 Tim Holt, Author


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
Added on July 15, 2008


Author

Tim Holt, Author
Tim Holt, Author

Los Angeles, CA



About
My name is Tim Holt. I live in Southern California and I love Jesus!! He's a great guy. Im a huge guitar player. I also love to hang out with friends, and the best thing besides God is JUSTICE!!!!!!.. more..

Writing