Vlad, chapter V: Night.

Vlad, chapter V: Night.

A Chapter by Mike


"Tell me, Ehrlich, what provisions have you made for our upcoming departure?"

Dracula's man removed his hat and lowered his eyes.

"If it pleases, Sir, there are ten days to reach the port of Constanta. We travel first to Bucharest, a journey of six days. From Bucharest, another four days to the port. A three-mast Venetian ship awaits us on the northernmost quay. The vessel is your property, maintained by a crew of nineteen sailors who are loyalists to the name of Dracul. We arrive on the quay three hours before the sun rises. Loading times vary, forty-five minutes at most. I will oversee the loading. Our crates will be swung on, then lowered to the hold."

"Very well, Ehrlich. I'm curious: have you yet spoken with our gypsy? Quite the charming young lady."

"She charms with mutton. A pox on that blushing tart!"

"By the gods, Ehrlich, you're either a well-rounded rogue or a monk!"

***
Meanwhile, Onyx had slipped invisibly into Maria's shop while Desponia and her gypsy awaited the seamstresses' return from a late dinner. He pressed his nose against  Luminita, and she stumbled forward.

"Oh, you dirty thing," giggled Luminita.

Onyx hunkered down, and she straddled his back. 

"I've made you my mount," she squealed.

"Get off at once!" Desponia said. "The seamstresses' approach."

"But I was promised a mount and have not yet received one."

"Off, I say!"

But it was too late. The seamstresses entered the room, then fell to their knees, crossing themselves as Luminita floated on thin air.

"Now, see the trouble you've caused," Desponia said. "I'm forced to cast a forgetfulness spell due to your antics."

She waved a hand, sending the seamstresses into a deep trance, then pulled her gypsy from the wolf's back.

"Seek your master!" Desponia shouted at Onyx.

The wolf trotted out of the room, and the seamstresses awakened a moment later, gossiping and resuming their duties as if nothing had happened.

***
Meanwhile, in the yard, Dracula listened to Ehrlich's details.

"On Tuesdays, the great hall will be swept. But every other Wednesday..."

"Yes, yes," said Dracula, "enough. How is it with your wife?"

Suddenly, Onyx materialized.

"What black art is this?" Ehrlich shouted. He grabbed a pitchfork and rushed forward in defense of his master.

Dracula warned him off. 

"Stand down, Ehrlich. Tell no one what you've witnessed. What would you say to a battle between this creature and a Siberian tiger?"

"Of creatures like this, I know nothing. Do not imagine disrespect, Sir, but my money goes to the tiger. With that said, the sheer size of this animal makes me reconsider."

"It's necessary that you are aware of his presence. Like any creature, he'll need attention occasionally, but, as I've already warned, tell no one of his existence."

"As you command, my lord."

"Not that it's more than an annoyance, but the roads between Bucharest and Constanta are for treachery. Ambushes and throat-slitting are common themes. There is upheaval in Romania. The outlaws murder, as a matter of course, whomever they can, more than those they'd rather target. Any trick is fair play, and there are a hundred attack methods. Good sport for Onyx."

"Yes," said Ehrlich as he stared in astonishment at Onyx. "Zeus's beard?!"

"Good evening to you, Ehrlich," said Dracula, turning toward the great hall with Onyx in tow.

***

He found his lady in her gilt chamber, stroking Luminita's hair as she slept.

"You treat her like your child," said Dracula. "

"If only she were," said Desponia, "If only she were. I have loved many mortal women, but none so childlike as she."

"Perhaps you would reconsider having me change her."

"And let her grow old as the others have? Let her grow sick and bitter, witness the loss of her beauty? Let her innocence turn to greed? Perhaps."

"We leave tomorrow night. All is prepared. Accompany me," said Dracula, reaching out. 

Desponia took hold of his wrist and pulled herself against him. 

"Accompany you where?"

"Our place is the Grotto."

"Then lead me."

They walked together through the corridors, descending to the shimmering grotto. 

Desponia faced him and slipped out of her clothing.

"Lamia is upon us. Have your way with me," she whispered.

***
Later that evening, they climbed the battlements, scaling a wall under a rushing moon, gaining a cannon turret, standing silently, overseeing their night realm, its forest, and the mysteries within. She touched his hand, infusing him with Olympian powers as they spilled down the walls, organic, viridescent vapor spreading across the forest floor, mingling with insects, swirling in fox's dens, settling on swamp ooze, pouring into underground caverns, and finally, rematerializing in a clearing where they called their wolf pack.

Desponia sat on a fallen tree, watching Dracula disappear in shadow with the pack's leader.

He will hunt with no other.

She called the remaining pack.

Sit at my side and hear my song. Your lord and I will journey soon. Leave the villagers in peace. Have pity on their animals when the stray.

Vlad slipped out of the forest with a deer carcass and the alpha at his side.

The pack bristled. 

I suppose this marks an end to my lecture, mused Desponia.

Vlad placed the catch down and signaled Desponia.

She gazed into the deer's eyes, wondering at its terrible indifference and the moon's reflection, deep within the glittering orbs.

"It is time we were on our way."

"As you wish, Desponia."

They ran through the forest. The castle loomed ahead, silhouetted against an open sky while the immortals hurdled the crags, climbed the curtain walls, and tumbled over the parapets. 

Ehrlich waited in the open courtyard.

"Dawn approaches, sir."

"I am well aware."


© 2023 Mike


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on October 4, 2023
Last Updated on October 24, 2023
Tags: goddess


Author

Mike
Mike

Boulder, CO



Writing
Sea Turtles Sea Turtles

A Poem by Mike


Mr. Smith Mr. Smith

A Story by Mike