Vlad, chapter VI: Lamia Attacks

Vlad, chapter VI: Lamia Attacks

A Chapter by Mike


Desponia shook her gypsy awake as the sun rose. 


"Come, Luminita; there is little time left for preparation."


"I will have quail's eggs and bread." 


Desponia stood behind, lifting Luminita's hair and running the back of a hand at the soft nape of her neck. 


"And so, it will be yours."


 "Will we play knucklebones after breakfast?"


 "As is your desire, capricious one. Now come and let us receive your wardrobe."


Luminita followed Desponia to the seamstresses' workshop, where they found the excellent ladies making the signs of the cross as they scurried about preparing to model Luminita in their creations. 


"Oh," said Luminita, going from one clothing rack to the next. "I'll try this one."


Desponia picked a deerskin jumpsuit from the rack.


Luminita clapped her hands together, tossing off her sleeping gown and reaching for the jumpsuit.


The ladies blushed, shooting admiring glances at Luminita and the unabashed nature of her nakedness.


Desponia bristled.


"Why do you squabs gawk so--old wash women! Luminita, dress yourself."


By the Gods, she mused. I've fallen in love.


Luminita squeezed into the jumpsuit and went proudly to-and-fro, swinging her hips and tossing her hair.


The seamstresses exchanged smiles.


"Her feet have dust from crossing the yard," Claudia whispered.


"Hush," Patience said nervously.


"I feel this is my finest work," Maria said.


With its lace lining and flexible hosen, the jumpsuit stretched to conform with Luminita's movements, caressing and clinging to her figure. The seamstress exchanged more glances and smiles as Luminita continued to flaunt. 


"It's a fine job, I am pleased," Desponia said.


"Why, she's every inch an hourglass," returned Maria.


Desponia went to a window and called to a boy in the yard. 


"You there, fetch Ehrlich and bring him to this window."


Ehrlich appeared at the window a few moments later.


Luminita scurried behind a curtain.


"Go away, strange man," she called out laughingly. 


"Hold your tongue," chastised Desponia. "Ehrlich, arrange transportation for the sewists to Medias, I should think."


"If dropped at the Plow and Stars, we could join our husbands," Maria said.


Desponia lowered her voice.


"Ehrlich, there are three purses of coins under the mattress in my chambers; they are for the seamstresses. Collect them and hand them to the ladies as they board the carriage for Medias. The most oversized purse goes to Maria. 


Ehrlich bowed. 


"Who does a headcount of the village workers?" Desponia asked.


"I left the job to Small Alex."


"The stable hand? I doubt I care for it. He's no man for security. Relieve him at once and recount the workers. Secure the crossing. See to it that every entry has a guard, and have Small Alex bring trunks for our clothing. On your way, man!"


***

Ehrlich hurried off, but infiltrators had already breached the gate.


A leper had approached the workers as Small Alex lowered the drawbridge.


"A coin for the afflicted," he grinned toothlessly.


They shrank back as he passed. 


"Ahh," said the leper, hesitating before a pregnant woman and thrusting out a fingerless paw. "For the health of your child, give me a coin."


"Be gone with your sickness," she said, shrinking back and throwing a coin at his feet.


At the same time, two men wearing cowls fell in with the workers--Luminita's husband and an accomplice. 


Small Alex--a shepherd and a dreamer who cared little for his duties--paid small attention as the worker passed the checkpoint. The infiltrators peeled off from the group and found hiding places in the stable's hayloft while the leper slipped into the woods. 


***

During breakfast, Luminita asked many questions.


"Where are the Gods?"


"They're everywhere," Desponia answered casually.


"I've been told they do not exist,"


"There are many things you're yet to understand. The Gods planted the earth."


"Why?"


"Existence on Olympus is contemplative, Luminita. Contemplations are the seeds of restlessness. To stem their boredom, the Gods planted the earth. We call it the garden of mortality." 


Luminita knitted her brow.


"What of the people?"


"We brought them forth from seeds, and gave them souls, Luminita."


"What of Olympus?"


"It's a thousand galaxies away." 


"Then what of the Christian God?"


"I shouldn't speak of him except to say that he is one among our number. The one most powerful and easily angered."


"Surely, Zeus holds sway over the Christian god."


"They share a mother and the universe."


***

Meanwhile, Small Alex returned to the yard with the trunks on a cart. 


Ehrlich called for the stablemaster, Thomas, to lash them tightly. 


Thomas fell to task while Ehrlich continued preparations for the seamstress's departure, rolling out a carriage while inspected the riggings. 


Satisfied with the harnesses, Ehrlich sent Small Alex for the ladies and then assigned Thomas as the coach's driver. 


As the seamstresses' arrived in the courtyard, Ehrlich assisted them aboard the carriage. Thomas leaped to the driver's box and got hold of the reins. The bridge came down. Ehrlich handed out the purses, and Thomas started his team with a sharp whistle.


*** 

Now in their chambers, Desponia gave her gypsy instructions for the coming day.


"I have business outside the castle but shan't be gone beyond late afternoon. Stay within our chambers. Take meals in the kitchen if you must. Do not linger in the yard." 


Desponia left her gypsy and headed to the stables, where she saddled her stallion.


She leapt astride the animal and cantered into the yard. The stallion reared and galloped across the bridge. Turning to the sun, Desponia summoned her chariot and leaped from her mount, disappearing through the clouds, hurtling through a limitless expanse, distancing photons that floundered in the wake of iridescent nucleons. A trillion spiraling galaxies flew by as she cracked her whip. The mares of Diomedes plunged headlong into the fourth dimension, turning back time and awakening the skies of Olympus as she circled overhead, gazing upon a sea of jade architecture and a flattened halo surrounding the empire, a storage for souls with which to populate the earth garden, a place known in the Old Testament as the Guff. 


Mars intercepted her on his war chariot.


"Hold, Desponia. What business do you have?"


***

Meanwhile, Luminita's husband and accomplice slipped from their hiding places, brushed the hay from their clothing, and walked boldly into the courtyard. They approached a gate soldier.


"Good day to you, sir. You strike a fine figure and are surely the brass hat in residence. I'd have a word. Your supplies are guaranteed," The husband presented the guard with a document."


"For whatever that means, I am no brass hat. Nor do I read."


"Well, somebody must crack the whip about here. I've no time to waste on the likes of you then, and neither does my associate."


"If you'd like a dose of Ehrlich, you've found good luck. He leads a horse this way as we speak."


"Good day to you, Ehrlich," shouted the husband. "At last, I've found you. We've been three times over the grounds and must only have missed you by a hair's margin."


"What is your business?" Ehrlich asked, glancing at the drawbridge and seeing it unraised. "How did you gain entrance? I've seen you somewhere; remind me of it."


"I am only a merchant's assistant but a man on the rise, mind you. I have a bill that only wants a signature for delivered products."


The husband held a sheet up for Ehrlich's perusal.


"A signature for what?" the foreman asked. "You show me flour prices and nothing better. Our flour comes from tomorrow's market."


"Alas, but the supply is small, diminished. There's no telling what there is by tomorrow. Your signature only guarantees... "


"I'll take my chances at the market," Ehrlich said. "Remind me how you gained entrance."


"We came with the workers. I'll not stay if my business holds no interest for you."


Just as Ehrlich spoke, Luminita wandered out of the great hall, twirling her hair on a finger. She started down the steps. 


The accomplice rushed forward, grabbing Ehrlich by his vest while trying to overpower him. The husband leaped atop the horse and bore down on Luminita, kicking her and then dragging her up. 


Ehrlich bulled his assailant into a stable wall. He brought down a clubbing blow that knocked his assailant unconscious, then stepped around to see the husband dragging Luminita atop the horse and charging across the open bridge. 


Ehrlich bolted for the stables. He grabbed Dracula's thoroughbred, leaped upon him bareback, and galloped in pursuit. The husband made the forest and was out of sight beyond the bends.


***

"I would speak with Zeus," said Desponia.


"It won't be allowed." returned Mars.


"Hera cheats. Lamia has slaughtered the witches and taken the eye for her own. By order of Zeus, it was disallowed that she would have the eye for better than a week in a year. The advantage is hers. How many times have we warred together, Mars? Get me an audience!"


"Hera will not leave his side."


"I care not what the conniving w***e does."


"Wait, in the soul halo, and I will return with Zeus's decision."


"Ho! I do not think so. Better to follow your lead and wait outside the temple." 


"Be on your guard." 


"Lead the way."


They swept out of the sky to the Olympian Streets. Desponia jumped to the platforms, climbing steps to pillars at the entrance of Zeus's temple. 


She waited as Mars sought her permission, inhaling deeply, taking breaths of Olympian air, pressing her thoughts, greeting the Gods, many of whom she'd not seen in centuries. 


When Mars returned, Desponia learned that Zeus had granted her audience. She entered the gem-green throne room. Zeus rose, and she bowed before him while Hera remained seated, skewering her nemisis with disdainful eyes.


"I accepted the council's decision and am well punished, a thousand-year exile for my freely admitted transgressions. I make no case for myself. But Hera takes matters beyond the council's sentence."


"You flew to the side of a vampire, opposed me in war," Hera shouted, jumping up from her throne.


"You murdered my sister's children. Then, she turned her love to its measure in hatred. You stole her sanity and made her a gorgon." 


"Tell it to Zeus," Hera said slyly. "He sired the brood. As for Lamia, I think she's much improved. I will do as I please, just as the oracles told me your gypsy does." 


"Lamia has slaughtered the Stygian witches and stolen the eye at your behest, violating the council's judgments."


"I know nothing of these things," Hera said.


"Show me proof!" Zeus shouted.


"You need only consult the oracle," Desponia said.


"Now, who seeks to violate council law?" asked Hera, tapping her nails on the cold jade arm of her throne.


***

Ehrlich continued his pursuit of the husband, still determining his chances. He turned a bend and saw his mark a quarter-mile distant, but Dracula's thoroughbred was unshod and losing speed. 


Just at the same time, a thing unseeable blew by Ehrlich. 


The husband's horse reared and was pulled over. 


Bruised and frightened, Luminita crawled for Ehrlich, who leaped from Vlad's stallion. 


The gypsy threw herself at his feet, clutching his legs and sobbing hysterically. 


Ehrlich squared his jaw. A mist formed in his eyes. 


"You're safe now," was all he could manage as he lifted her up and set her on her feet. And then Onyx materialized, holding the husband aloft in his jaws. 


"I love you, Luminita. I live only for your smile," shouted the husband.


Luminita turned her face and buried it against Ehrlich's chest. "Oh, why did that man hurt me?" she sobbed. "Oh, bring me Desponia."


"Onyx, release that fool, "Ehrlich said. 


Onyx dropped Luminita's husband in the dirt. The ponce scrambled to his feet and ran down the road as the gypsy grabbed the wolf's ears. She squealed with delight as he lifted her off the ground. 


"Do as I say!" Luminita laughed, "Do as I say!" With that, she pulled herself astride the wolf and started back for the castle, with Ehrlich riding quietly.


***

Thomas kept a relaxed hold on the reins of his carriage, making steady progress through the forest for Medias. He would soon be married, and the thought of his fiancé cheered him immensely. He called to the horses, offering them an apple apiece if they made good time to the Plow and Stars. He reached in a pocket for his pipe. Sunlight sparkled through the canopy, warming the backs of his hands and the backs of the horses. The fragrance of moss and wildflowers hung in the air. Chipmunks played amongst the branches.


Within the carriage, Claudia and Patience turned their attention to their purses. They covered their mouths and bounced upon taking peeks inside. More flustered than wet sparrows, they rocked the carriage with their excitement.


Maria opened her eyes.


"Ladies, for the love of the Patron Saints, contain yourselves."


Claudia and Patience burst out laughing and held out the coins. 


Maria snatched up her purse, poured coins onto her lap, and slapped the tops of her thighs in delight while Claudia and Patience continued to bounce. Maria scooped up her cash and placed them back in the pouch. She peeked past the carriage curtain, savoring the glow of good fortune until shock crystalized her expression.


Lamia closed on the carriage. 


Thomas turned instinctively as the Gorgon cut his head off. His arms reached out, feeling the air in a grotesque pantomime while his torso slumped forward, tumbling off the driver's box, falling end over end down an embankment. She tore hindquarters from one horse, then snapped the necks of both. As the carriage tipped, the ladies spilled out, Lamia's tail hovering. She breathed deeply, Desponia's lingering bouquet, and then she hacked the excellent ladies to pieces with her talons.



© 2023 Mike


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on October 5, 2023
Last Updated on November 3, 2023


Author

Mike
Mike

Boulder, CO



Writing
Sea Turtles Sea Turtles

A Poem by Mike


Mr. Smith Mr. Smith

A Story by Mike