Vlad, chapter VII: Beowulf

Vlad, chapter VII: Beowulf

A Chapter by Mike
"

A legendary warrior joins Desponia.

"



As the sun dropped, Desponia burst through the cloud ceiling, swept to the ground, and called her stallion. 


Ehrlich stood on the battlements, cocking an ear to the thunder of hooves, and ordered the bridge down as the goddess approached. She crossed the bridge sitting high in the saddle. 


The next moment, a military man arrived on a warhorse.


"I am Gregory, Captain of the Saxon Guard. What are your names?"


Dracula called from the great hall's entrance.


"That is Ehrlich. Mounted next to him is my lady Desponia. I am Dracula."


"Good evening to you, Sir," said Gregory. "We pursue a beast that poses a threat to the populace. A slaughter occurred on the road to Medias, not a mile from here."


"Describe it," said Desponia, suspiciously.


"With respect, my lady, the creature was considered monstrous, and the attack gruesome. So testified a witness, Jacob Ran, husband to the gypsy Luminita. We found the carpenter's descriptions accurate on investigation, and a soldier in our battalion claimed familiarity with the creature described. As I speak, an expeditionary force is in the field, and martial law is probable, as would be the billeting of soldiers and restrictions on travel. No disrespect intended, but it's said you employed the victims and are familiar with the gypsy."

 

"Who is this man, and what business had he in the area?" demanded Desponia with glowing eyes. She leaped off her horse, her expression stony as she approached Ehrlich. 


"Where is my gypsy?" she demanded in a low voice.


"There was an incident. I resolved it," said Ehrlich.


Desponia glanced balefully at the captain.


"By what names went these supposed employees?" she asked.


"Maria Aldea. Claudia and Patience Brus. Excuse this detail, we have not identified the male as his head is missing," answered the captain.


"Thomas has not returned," Ehrlich said. "I thought he had taken to the tavern."


"Silence!" shouted Desponia in a voice that caused the captain's horse to rear and almost throw him. The soldier struggled to calm the animal, his eyes widening as he lost color. Desponia threw a spell that turned him into a somnambulist.


"Onyx--at my side!" she yelled, then approached the captain with blazing eyes. "You do not know us. You have no business here, nor have you ever set foot here. Ehrlich, take the reins and escort this fool outside the walls."


Ehrlich followed his instructions, and a moment later, the captain's horse ran hard down the road.


Upon returning, Ehrlich went quickly to his master.


"It is one hundred miles to Bucharest," Ehrlich said. "We leave in forty-five minutes. Two heavy wagons fitted with steel springs, two carriages. We will cover the distance before dawn with a change of horses."


"Where is our escort?" Dracula asked, glancing around the yard, "I see our cannoneers and bowman. What use are they in an ambush?"


"As it pleases, my lord, a group of mercenaries is encamped less than a mile off. Their leader arrived at our walls mid-morning, calling for our lady in a booming voice. Not in my dreams have I seen such a warrior, a goliath laying claim to the name Beowulf. His hair was a lion's mane. He bore a war ax of impossible weight. His eyes stared from beneath his helmet with the fires of Hell. In truth, sir, he looked fit to level a forest with his fists alone."


"Woe to any highwaymen; let Lamia come as she will. It was I summoned the Geat." Desponia said.


Dracula took Desponia aside.


"I thought him the concoction of storytellers," 


"As I will it, Vlad, Beowulf is summoned, if only temporarily, for our protection on the road to Bucharest.


"What dark art is yours that brings forth such legends as this Beowulf? Save Aphrodite; no goddess matches your beauty, yet of all the world's miscreants, you stand at the side of a vampire, revel in slaughter, and draw Hera's malice."


"Can you not guess it, Vlad? Of all the world's miscreants, you are its one soulless cocksman. A millennium ago, the council saw that I would provide souls for the Guff--the souls of men. I kill with my sex, Vlad. No man can resist my velvet touch, my soft clutch, the sweet aroma of my poison. Once released, a cherub guides these souls to the Guff, where they linger until repurposed.


"How is it you incur Hera's wrath if by decree…?


"Oh, Vlad, the immortal eyes that do not see. Zeus lusts for my deadly sensuality and is drawn to me by his morbid appetites. Thus, Hera hates me better than she loves life."


"I still don't…."


"Understand why I stand at your side? It is by choice and by your invocations that I am here. Remember, Vlad, you have no soul to pluck. But do not love me, either, for my heart is a stone; I can shed no tear for a man. This is the price I've paid for my dark art."


Desponia hurried through the great hall and followed corridors to her bedchamber. Seeing the door ajar and an orange glow from the interiors, she entered quietly, finding her gypsy asleep, holding a rabbit pelt to her bruised forehead. Desponia whispered in Luminita's ear, and the gypsy woke and threw herself into Desponia's arms.


In the meantime, Onyx waited on his haunches, unseen and watching the yard commotion, waiting on his master's command.


Dracula approached Ehrlich


"Tell me your thoughts, Ehrlich?"


"I was ill at ease until the Geat appeared. I heard a wail in the forest today and knew its source well.


"How so?"


"The soldier spoke of a gorgon. I once saw such a creature, from a distance, mind you, but…."


"Thank you, Ehrlich; you needn't force the memory. Go ahead with your duties."


Dracula walked to the gatehouse tunnel and peered into the moonless wood.


"By my side, Onyx."

 

He walked into the night with his wolf sauntering behind.


Not long after, he felt the ground grow soggy under his feet, and then, from night's blackest fen, he heard a gasp.


"You are brave, Dracula," said Lamia, "To wander into my arena with none but your wolf. We are similar, both reckless and serving a master; you might join me. I'll show you riches--I could also bring your wife back from Hell and your slain children. Only send me the w***e." 


She sifted her talons through her writhing hair, sending the dry scrape of her serpent's scales to whisper with the crickets.


"I honor no man or god as my master, nor do pine for the dead," said Dracula, peering into the murk, "Show yourself." 


"But Satan honors you as his son, I'm told."


Onyx stepped forward, but Dracula checked his movement.


"Send him," chuckled Lamia, "And I'll send you back his head, but give me your harlot, let me drink of her destruction."


"And the gypsy?"


"She dies."


Dracula stepped forward with Onyx. 


"Heed this warning, gorgon; your path is through me."


"F**k you and your wolf," hissed Lamia, disappearing into the gloom.


Back in the yard, the caravan waited. 


Desponia appeared with Luminita as Dracula appeared from a mist.


A din filled the yard, a clattering of armor. Beowulf led his warriors out of the night and over the bridge. He lowered his head to clear the bridge's archway, then fell to a knee in front of Desponia, still towering over her and wide as a barn door.


Dracula glanced at Ehrlich.


"What would you guess his weight at, Ehrlich?"


"The better part of 800 pounds, Sir, and his men seem no less a deadly lot."


Beowulf supplicated himself before Desponia, bowing lower and laying his war ax before her.


"All hail to Oden and the goddess Desponia." 


Desponia reached up and placed a hand on Beowulf's helmet. 


"Take up your weapon, Beowulf; let your men find their positions. We depart on Dracula's command."


Beowulf rose and positioned himself at the front of the column while his warriors fell to flanking positions.


"Onyx," said Dracula, "join this Geat at the front of the column." 


Ehrlich opened the carriage door and lowered his eyes while Desponia and her gypsy proceeded Dracula to its interiors. Ehrlich leaped to the driver's box, and upon Dracula's signal, he started the team forward.


***

With the King's expeditionary forces searching for the gorgon, the area's marauders had flocked to the travel routes in search of opportunities. Quick to steal riches, slaughter, rape, or take children into bondage, their ambushes were well in place as the sun had set. A band of fifteen now waited in cover, sharpening their blades on stones, quarreling amongst themselves, drinking liquor, and boasting. 


"If there is a young boy to be had," croaked their toothless leader, "bring him to me unharmed. I'll have him for my pleasure, then have his heart on a spit after I severe his balls and salt them for a tobacco pouch."


One of the leader's henchmen, a braggart, smiled at him. 


"I'll have my pockets lined and the perfume of a young tart on my beard before night's end." 


And so, they carried on, little knowing that Onyx had run in advance of the column and lay watching them from a short distance. 


The braggart left the group. He crept to where they'd tied a young woman to a tree. They'd all enjoyed themselves with her. 


The braggart lifted her chin and started to grope her.


"Ahhh, the little s**t has regained consciousness just in time to receive my measure."


Just as quickly, the young woman watched the henchman's head collapse under the crushing power of Onyx's jaws. 


The lady's hands slipped from her ties in the same moment, and she ran for freedom. 


Onyx fell on the bandits and eviscerated five of their number before the other nine could stagger to their feet. They ran in horror, some falling to the ground in fright, others running blindly into trees. But all died as Onyx caught each from behind and sent them to their maker.   



© 2023 Mike


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on October 8, 2023
Last Updated on November 8, 2023


Author

Mike
Mike

Boulder, CO



Writing
Sea Turtles Sea Turtles

A Poem by Mike


Mr. Smith Mr. Smith

A Story by Mike