Chapter 1 - Lost and Cold and Tired and Hungry and Alone

Chapter 1 - Lost and Cold and Tired and Hungry and Alone

A Chapter by {{Vanessa.Williams}}

Chapter 1 - Lost and Cold and Tired and Hungry and Alone
It's been a few weeks since I had been cast away. God knows why the heck I keep track of the time, it only makes me even more miserable. I would phase into my human form, except for the fact that werewolves can only become human for one night, the night of the full moon. The myths have it all wrong. For alphas, there is only one exception. When another alpha is nearby, and a fight breaks out, we can phase. It's really strange, and it doesn't make sense, but you can't question mother nature. 
I sigh as I wander through the woods, not knowing which direction I'm heading, not really caring either. My family sure cast me out at the right time. It's now winter, and all the good animals were hibernating. It would be hard to get food if you were a loner, because most of the packs would have already hunted down the good meat. What an age to get cast out too. I was only sixteen, and even though you were pretty much free at that age when you're a human, in wolf years, you're still not ready. Basically, being cast out of your pack was to be cast out of your family. I wasn't welcome to my family nor my family's house. I was homeless. 
Now do you see how bad it is?
My parents were the alpha male and alpha female of our pack. Although our pack was pretty small, we still managed. I was next in line for being the alpha, and Kylie was supposed to be my beta. Kristen was the delta, and once we mated, our pack would be even larger. 
But now, none of that could happen. Kylie would be the alpha, and Kristen the beta, but since they were both two females, they would have to join their mates' pack, and pretty soon, our pack wouldn't be existent. 
Guess mom and dad didn't think of that, now did they? What I learned about my parents was that they hated to be under the rule on someone. It bugged the hell out them. Now since I'm gone, they'd just have to deal with that. At least ONE good thing came out of this. 
A huge gust of wind whips by me and I shiver in my coat. It was cold enough for me to feel it, and that was pretty darn cold. All the humans would be in their houses, enjoying the heat. I was out here, alone. I might as well freeze. 
What did I have to live for anyway?
I hadn't seen any wolves since I had been cast away. Was that a good or a bad thing, I had no clue. Word probably got out about the "incident" and every wolf probably knew by now. It's strange how quick everything gets around in our world. 
Truth be told, I actually was kind of grateful to not see anymore of my kind. Once you're "officially" cast out from a pack, then you can't join another one. You are officially a loner, screwed for life. Happy, right?
I wouldn't want to see any wolves anyway. From what I've heard, loners, wolves like me, we were treated like s**t. I didn't want the incident to repeat itself again, so I had to stay away from other wolves.
I'll become a hermit.
Now, all I need is a hermit cave and I'll be all set. 
My stomach suddenly growled, wrenching me away from my thoughts. I realized how hungry I was and felt like puking. My body spazzed as I choked and spat out the bile that was in my stomach. When I was done, I wiped my face in the snow, looking resentfully at the puke that I had left. I suddenly felt so sick that I hurled again. 
I heard a chirp a few feet away from me, down on the ground. Turning towards the sound, I discovered a red cardinal hopping about. I got down on my belly and slid towards it, trying to be inconcpicuous. Of course, my sandy colored fur didn't really help, even though it was close to the color of the snow...not really. The cardinal chirped again, looking for some seeds. It was oblivious to me! Wait, that meant that I had a chance!
I watched it hungrily for sometime and as soon as its back was turned, I pounced. Sadly, it chose THEN to start noticing me. It flew off, away from me, letting out loud, alarmed calls. I howled in frustration, probably scaring away the rest of the food in this frozen godforsaken place. My stomach howled along with me, and I could sense myself puking again. 
Ohhh, I hate my life so much right now...
****************
Do you think he's dead? a sweet, melodic voice sounded in my head. I didn't remember passing out, did I even pass out. Was I dead? Hmmm...was I in HEAVEN? That voice sure made me feel like I was in heaven...
Stay away from him, Sadie! He's a loner!He's been cast out, he's just s**t now. Let's just leave the birds to eat him. A gruffer male voice now was in my head. I didn't let them hear any of my thoughts, I just guarded my brain. 
The male spoke with authority, either he was the alpha or the beta. Either way, he was obviously Sadie's mate. 
That made me a little sad. Sadie seemed delicate, too good to be with a guy like him. I kinda wanted Sadie to myself...
I felt a nose nudge me roughly. It was the male's from the scent I got off of him. I recoiled from him.
He's still warm, I heard the male say. He's still alive.
Suddenly, I felt a vicious kick to my side. What was that for?! I was definately going to get a bruise, I was malnourished and desperately starving. I truly was a weakling now. I hated how weak I sounded in front of him. A little whine escaped my mouth.
Jake, stop it! Don't hurt him! I sensed some worry in Sadie's tone. I felt some happiness and gratitiude towards her. Jake, though, he was just a big headed bloke. He obviously thought he was better than everyone else, like some kind of celebrity or something. How the hell did someone like Sadie end up with HIM?
He's an outcast, a nobody. If we end his life here, we'll save him a lot of pain and misery, Jake answered harshly. Why that bloody son of a gun! I wasn't in pain, I wasn't miserable! Well, yeah, I was, but that didn't mean that I couldn't live again...right?
As if hearing my thoughts, Sadie said: He's a werewolf though! I know from his scent that he is! He can still be human, so he can live again!
How do you know he will last that long? Jake retorted. He nudged me again roughly. He looks pretty emaciated to me...
But that's because it's winter...I won't let you hurt him! Sadie said sternly. 
Jake growled. Sadie...
I'm serious Jake. If you're going to hurt him, you have to get through me first. She padded over to me and sat a few inches away from me. I could feel warmth radiating out of her...warmth...how I've missed that.
Sadie... There was a warning in Jake's growl. I don't think that he cared if he hurt her. That thought made me sick. How could he stand to hurt this little, delicate she-wolf Sadie? If I were her mate, I would treasure her like she was my world.
Jake, please... Sadie's voice was all tearful now. Awww, great! He made her cry! But wait...she was crying for me....! Just leave him be. Killing a defenseless werewolf is against the werewolf honor system!
Really? I thought those were just guidelines.
I heard Jake growl loudly, but give in. FINE.
Thanks Jake, I heard a smile in Sadie's voice.
That girl just saved my life. I was eternally grateful to her. 
I could hear the two of them pad away after that, leaving me alone to myself. Once they were a safe distance away, I opened my eyes. I wanted to go with them, to go with Sadie, but I could only be by myself. I looked up to see them heading home, to a pack who loved them and my heart felt heavy in my chest. For the first time in my life, I felt tears run down my cheeks. They didn't know how lucky they were.


© 2011 {{Vanessa.Williams}}


Author's Note

{{Vanessa.Williams}}
Chapter 1! Like it? Hate it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

inconcpicuous.-inconspicuous
I like it though closr to the end u forgot to put quotation marks around their words. Funny, how he knows he would treat saide better and he hasn't even met her and jhow does he know the other male wolf is her mate? hm, can't wasit to see wat happens when they find out he's awake.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I thought the first paragraph was really cool about how they can only become human on the night of a full moon. I felt like you thought everything out and I've never read a story like this..I liked it.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011


Author

{{Vanessa.Williams}}
{{Vanessa.Williams}}

City of the Wolves, Transylvania



About
I'm a paranormal romance freak, and that's mostly what I like to read, as well as write. Angels, Werewolves, Vampires, you say "oh my" and I say "HECK YEAH!" (: I do make exceptions to my writing, s.. more..

Writing