The Leap

The Leap

A Chapter by Wendy Seames Garner
"

That was no hummingbird! I couldn't believe my eyes...instead I saw a dark haired beauty dressed in what looked like amber flower petals.

"

It had been a bad day, heck, a bad month even a bad year! I had lost my job. My marriage was a wreck. I wanted to start all over again. Why couldn't life be like a video game, just push a button and you had a new life.


My feet shuffled through the thick layer of leaves that littered the path through the park. It was late November, the trees had all shed their leaves, but for a few foolhardy stalwarts. Rounding a corner in the path, I came upon a huge pile of leaves. Why would someone rake a pile of leaves in the middle of a park, I wondered. The pile brought back childhood memories of playing in the leaves, a much happier time in my life. Oh to be a child again, with no worries or responsibilities.


I glanced around to see if anyone was watching. Then, with a smile on my face, I jumped into the leaves, but I didn't immediately hit the ground. What was going on? Had I jumped into a huge leaf filled hole? At last, I met the ground with a soft thump. I was completely surrounded by huge, crackling leaves. I struggled to extricate myself. It felt like a virtual jungle.


After what seemed like minutes, I emerged from the leaves. The hair on the nape of my neck stood on end. Something wasn't right. Looking up the trees looked immense! This wasn't the same woods I had been walking through minutes ago! And where was the path? Leaves didn't litter the ground, they were attached to the trees and still green. It looked more like summer. Looking around, I couldn't see the pile of leaves I had just crawled out of!


I couldn't just stand there, so I walked in what I assumed, from the sun's position in the sky, was west. I passed through tall grasses and huge flowers, around large boulders, and gigantic trees. After about an hour of walking, I heard a humming sound. I glanced about for the source of the sound, expecting to find a hummingbird.


That was no hummingbird! I couldn't believe my eyes...instead I saw a dark haired beauty dressed in what looked like amber flower petals. Was I dreaming? This couldn't be real...she was hovering above me, a pair of wings attached to her back, fluttering like crazy!


She was astonished to see me, too. Her wings skipped a beat causing her to tumble to the ground. I rushed to her side.


“Are you OK?” I asked, attempting to help her up.


“Of course I'm alright, I don't need help!” she insisted, shrugging off my hands.


Her amber eyes flashed with annoyance as she looked me up and down.


“Who are you, I've never seen you in the forest. What have you done with your wings?” she demanded.


“My wings? What do you mean? And how are those wings attached to you? I don't see any straps or a safety harness.” I questioned.


The look of annoyance on her face was replaced with a look of puzzlement. She tilted her head and walked all the way around me inspecting, even lifting my arms.


“Did it hurt?” she asked her voice full of compassion.


“What hurt?” I puzzled.


“When your wings were cut off.” her voice just a whisper.


“When they cut off my wings? I've never had wings!” I insisted.


Her eyes grew large and she appeared a bit frightened. She looked as if she were about to take flight. I put my hand out to stop her, I wanted answers.


“Let me go!” she screamed her eyes darting around, looking for help.


“I'm not going to hurt you. Please stay. I'm lost and I need some answers. Look I'll let go of your arm if you promise to stay.” I said in as calm a voice as I could.


“You...you promise not to hurt me?” she begged.


“Scouts honor,” I promised.


She looked at me a little strangely, but at least she didn't bolt when I let go of her arm. We stared at each other for a few seconds, then we both started to talk. She giggled a bit then motioned for me to go ahead.


“First off, my name is Thomas. I was walking through the woods, saw a pile of leaves, childishly jumped into them and I wind up here, looking at a beautiful girl with wings.” my confession causing her to blush.


“But why wouldn't I have wings and where are yours? My name is Marigold, by the way, pleased to meet you, Thomas,” she said with a curtsy.


“Well Marigold, where I come from girls don't have wings,” I informed her.


“But how do you get around?” she asked puzzled.


“We walk.”


“How inefficient!” she insisted, looking up at the sky, “It's getting late, I need to get back to the village. Lily will be worried, I've been gone for several hours.”


“Take me with you, I have nowhere else to go. I'm lost, remember.” I pleaded.


“Well...follow me and try to keep up.” Marigold countered.


Marigold's wings started humming as she lifted from the ground effortlessly. I chased after her, trying my hardest to keep up. She ended up having to stop every once in a while, to let me catch up. I told her about losing my job and the divorce I was facing, but she just looked at me puzzled. At last a village of sorts was visible on the horizon. It was different than any village I had ever seen!


The houses were all different. One was a flower pot turned upside down, it had a little door, and windows, smoke curled out of the hole at the bottom/top. Another house was built from a watering can. There was a hat, a shoe, and a rubber boot. But the thing that was the most unusual about these houses was the size...they were all gigantic, not their usual size at all! There were flowers planted everywhere, but again, they were enormous!


As I crossed the village border, Marigold landed next to me, bowed low and said, “Welcome to Floral Gardens, Thomas. May the nectar nourish and all your days be pollinated.”


This seemed like a strange thing to say, but I smiled, bowed and said, “Thank you, Marigold. Floral Gardens is very beautiful.”


At that moment we were surrounded by dozens of other winged beings, all talking at the same time. I was as astounded at the sight of them, as they were with me. Several of the younger ones tried lifting up the back of my shirt, looking for my wings. At last, Marigold got them quieted down.


“Fellow Petals, this is Thomas, he is from a foreign land. No, he does not have wings and never has. Don't be afraid, he is quite gentle. Now let us prepare a repast for him, as it is quite late and he has been walking, yes, I said walking, for several hours.”


Before I knew what had happened, I was seated on a small stool, that looked suspiciously like a toadstool, at a makeshift table in a large hall that I could only conjecture had started life as a plastic tote. I was given an acorn cap filled with a sweet fluid. A leaf plate contained a colorful salad. As I ate my mind worked. Maybe the trees, houses, flowers, and the acorn cap weren't huge at all...maybe...just maybe I had shrunk! It made more sense than everything else being gigantic-sized. Of course, me being miniaturized didn't seem realistic either, but...


“Petals rise!” came a command.


I looked around to see all the winged being rise to their feet in unison and turn towards the north. There I saw a pair of majestic winged beings, one male, one female. Flying in front of them, a pair of young Petals tossing flower petals. The pair alighted on a dais containing gorgeous thrones formed from twigs, leaves, and flowers. Before sitting, the pair stood on the dais looking out at the crowd, who bowed low and hummed their wings.


“Stand up and bow,” Marigold whispered.


Every obedient in this strange place, I bowed a bit after everyone else had finished, making myself stand out. I saw the Royal pair point at me, whisper to each other, then seat themselves.


“Who are they?” I whispered back to Marigold.


“Why they are their Royal Highnesses King Redwood and Queen Rose,” she said with reverence.


King Redwood was quite tall, taller than any other in the hall. His hair and beard were a dusty red color. He had a majestic bearing and would be considered quite handsome to the women. His consort was very fair, with pale white-gold tresses. Her lips were ruby red, as was her gown. Her eyes were a shade of blue-gray, almost an ice blue. She was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen!


The Queen beckoned to an official-looking man standing nearby. She spoke to him, he nodded his head and stepped away. He was walking in my direction, accompanied by two men in uniforms, carrying large thorn swords. They stopped in front of me.


“You will accompany us!” the official demanded.


I arose and followed them to the dais, apprehension rising with every step. We stopped in front of the Royal pair. The official slapped me on the back.


“Kneel fool!” he ordered.


I knelt, not sure if I should stay there or stand again. I decided it might be safer to remain kneeling. I peered up at the Queen who was even more beautiful up close.


“Who are you, and where are your wings?” The Queen inquired, her voice like bells chiming.


“My name is Thomas Thorne, and I don't have wings, never did your Majesty.” I answered.


“No wings? What garden are you from?” she questioned.


“I'm not from any garden, well we do have gardens I suppose, but...” I stammered.


“You said, Thomas Thorne, are you a thorn then!” she said with repugnance.


“If you mean thorn as in a thorny bush, then no, but my paternal name is Thorne, T-H-O-R-N-E. I am from a distant land, your Majesty. A land not as beautiful as your own nor are there any as lovely as you.” I humbly informed her.


I was rewarded with another whack on the back.


“You will not speak to the Queen in that manner!” yelled the official.


“It is all right, Mayor Holly.” she assured the official, “What are you doing in our garden, Mr. Thorne?”


“I wish I knew your Majesty, I jumped in a pile of leaves the next thing I know, I've been magically transported to your world.” I said hoping she could sense my bewilderment.


There was an audible intake of breath from the crowd at the word “magically”. People started whispering to one another.


“Silence!” the King ordered.


The crowd obeyed immediately. The Queen nodded to her consort then whispered in his ear. She then beckoned to the Mayor and whispered to him. He nodded his head and left.


“Guards, take Mr. Thorne into custody until we can get some answers.” the King commanded.


“But your Majesty, he is just a lost soul from a foreign land.” Marigold entreated.


“Be careful what you say and do, Marigold, or you will be locked up with him!” warned the Queen.


I was roughly dragged to my feet and hauled off to a locked, windowless room. The room was empty of furniture. After what seemed like hours, I lay on the floor and fell asleep. Waking to darkness, I had no idea how long I had been incarcerated. Of what I had done to anger the Queen, I could not fathom. All I could do was wait. At last, I heard footsteps, a bolt being thrown, and the door opened.


“You will come with us!” I was ordered.


Back to the hall, we went, but this time it was empty save the King, Queen, the mayor, guards and...a giant green caterpillar. Not taking any chances, I immediately knelt before their Royal Highnesses.


“Rise Mr. Thorne, you are suspected of the crime of Magic. How do you plead?”


“Magic? Not guilty your honor!” I frantically denied.


All eyes turned to the caterpillar, he/it was stretched out, just a small portion of his body supporting him, leaning toward me. As crazy as it seemed, he looked to be deep in thought. I had a strange feeling, almost as if someone was in my head, searching around. I shook my head, but the feeling wouldn't leave. The world's worse headache was starting to form. I felt like vomiting but knew that would not be a good thing to do in front of the Royal pair. At last, I felt some relief! The caterpillar was now lying prone. All eyes were on the caterpillar, the silence was so thick you could cut it with a knife, and then the caterpillar stood up.


“There is magic around him, but he is not the source of the magic.” the caterpillar pronounced in a queer deep voice.


I couldn't believe my ears, a talking caterpillar, who apparently reads minds! There was an audible sigh of relief as if everyone in the room had been holding their breaths. All eyes were now on me.


“Guards, you will release Mr. Thorne.” the King intoned.


The guards backed away from me. I was so relieved. I had envisioned a scenario where the Queen ordered: “Off with his head!”


“Well Mr. Thorne, what are we to do with you?” the Queen asked.


“I...don't know...I don't know how to get back to my world, I'm not really sure how I got here.” was my cautious answer.


“You may go Mr. Thorne. Since Marigold is responsible for your being here in Floral Gardens, she will have the responsibility of finding you a place to stay and a job to do. May the nectar nourish and all your days be pollinated. ” 


And so I was dismissed by the Queen.










© 2017 Wendy Seames Garner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
Added on November 29, 2017
Last Updated on November 29, 2017
Tags: Fairy, Forest, Hummingbird, Copy Right Wendy Seames Garner 2


Author

Wendy Seames Garner
Wendy Seames Garner

Lapeer, MI



About
I believe that every person we meet, every thing we touch has a story. more..

Writing