2. Work

2. Work

A Chapter by Wathanya.5KY3

Saturday

Cool wind streamed through my hair as I exited the store. The night sky was doing its job of calming my heart. Although its twinkling friends were mostly hidden by the lights of the skyscrapers in the city, the moon was still visible.

The heat is gone! Yay!

I’ve always wanted to bring the best out of myself in terms of money making. My parents are both supportive of my choice to get a BBA. But the problem is I don’t even know why I chose to study Business Administration. The only thing I know is that I’m never going to work as an employee for the rest of my life. I don’t want to work! I want to make money, but I don’t want to work… Isn’t there a way to do just that?

I see red whenever I think about this subject. I should take a walk just to cool down before I explode at Andy.

Road: Go home/Go back to wine shop/Walk around

After 30 minutes of watching a younger student juggle some balls on the sidewalk, I tipped him my leftover 0.5 randos and walked home.

Andy is probably done cooking. I’m glad he cooks. I can’t stand eating leftover pizza for the rest of my life. He told me that he learned cooking from his mom since he was eight. Andy’s mom is a professional cook who has her own restaurant and catering business. She even cooks for government parties at times.

I was greeted by a really good smell from the kitchen.

Home: Andy/Wine/Condom/Table/Bedroom

Wine: Prepare/Smash on Andy’s head/Drink from bottle

I placed two wine glasses on the table and opened the wine bottle. I watch the light reddish liquid slowly fill up inside the glasses.

Condom: Open/Cancel

“Stan! Why didn’t you tell me you’re back?” Andy poked my side with his elbow as he put the dishes on the dining table. “Anyway, the steak’s done!”

Andy: Truth/Lie/Ignore

“I thought you were busy. Also, I was preparing wine.”

“Still, what took you so long? I thought the wine shop was right around the corner,” he followed up.

Andy: Truth/Lie/Ignore

“I took a while choosing this awesome wine!”

“Grrrrreat! Let’s dig in!”

I let the savory taste enter my mouth and go into my stomach, leaving that amazing taste on my tongue and tempting me to take another bite. Then I let myself be ascended to heaven with the taste of the wine Chad picked for us.

The food finally came to the last bite.

I wish I had more moments like this… We don’t always afford to go out to restaurants, which is why we have to buy raw materials and cook them ourselves. If only we had enough money to afford great food…

Andy: Talk/Kiss/Confess/Cancel

Talk: Work/Study/Food/Wine

“Hey, umm. How long do you think we have to work at Domino’s?”

“Until we graduate university. Maybe a bit longer until we get a real job.”

Andy: Agree/Disagree/Question/Confess/Ignore

“And how long do we have to work? Don’t you think we’re not using our full potential there? I mean, you can surely do more than just making pizzas for Dan. Man, we’ve got to do something for ourselves, not other people.”

“You’re right! That’s why we’re working our butts off studying for our BBAs.”

Andy: Agree/Disagree/Question/Confess/Ignore

“You’re right, in a way. But what do we do with this stupid certificate? Is it gonna generate infinite money or something?!”

I felt my blood boil and my face redden.

It’s just so darn dark for me right now. I shouldn’t have brought this up.

“Whoa, whoa. Calm down. Did the wine get to you or something?”

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Reply: Confess/Lie/Sarcastic/Arrogant

“Oh, yeah! This wine is so strong I get drunk with only one glass!”

Table: Slam with fist/Slam with palm/Flip over/Cancel

“Stan,” Andy murmured as he came over to kneel down on my side. “Look, I’m sorry if I said something wrong.”

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

No, no, it’s all me. I don’t know why this is coming right now. It’s one of those days that nothing seemed wrong at all, but then you remember the one thing that you’ve always avoided.

I have these days once or twice a year. I would cry alone in the dark until I finally fall asleep each time. It’s just so out of my control. But I don’t want Andy to feel bad because of this bloody feeling of mine.

“Is my steak that bad?” he pouted.

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Reply: Joke with/Cry on/Yes/No

“No, silly. It’s your bad habit.”

“What bad habit?” His brows puckered.

“You forget to add wool.”

“Is that supposed to be funny?” He frowned.

Apparently my head isn’t filled with jokes right now. I was actually scared of his reaction. I’m not used to his serious face at all.

“No, seriously, I don’t get it,” he continued.

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Act: Kiss/Punch/Leave

“Me neither.” I nailed him on the ground.

Needless to say, the steak wasn’t the only thing that was finished.

 

The next morning was a nice warm Saturday. I woke up to meet a set of very dark brown eyes. I used to get butterflies in my stomach whenever I get pulled into those mysterious yet comforting eyes.

Andy might not be the best looking guy out there, but his eyes will have you feeling like you’re more special than a Disney princess.

“Good morning.” The smell of our minty toothpaste.

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Act: Kiss/Brush teeth/Pretend to sleep

Ashamed of my morning breath, I slipped out of the bed and ran to the sink. I could tell that clearly amused him because of his thunderous laughter even after I spit the accumulated bacteria out of my mouth.

I strode to the still smiling person on the bed to give him a kiss before throwing myself back onto the bed.

“So, what’s the problem?” He crossed his legs on the bed.

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Reply: Truth/Lie/Change subject/Cancel

“Don’t you have homework? Something about Psychology.”

“Staaaaaaaaaaaaan,” he groaned. “I know there is something bothering you.”

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Reply: Truth/Lie/Change subject/Cancel

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Act: Kiss/Punch/Walk away/Pretend to sleep/Cancel

Andy: Reply/Act/Ignore

Reply: Truth/Lie/Change subject/Cancel

“It’s, just, I don’t wanna work for the rest of my life. And I know that our BBAs or MBAs or whatever will help us. But I wanna know how. I wanna have control in my life financially. I don’t wanna be entitled to getting up early, going to work, getting my money, paying bills, sleeping, and repeating this cycle for the rest of my life. I mean, you understand me, right? Andy, please tell me you know what I’m talking about.”

I more or less stuffed a lot of information along with drops of spit in his face, but instead of making the wow-you-are-still-drunk face, he replied, “Actually, dude. I know this woman called Clare from one of my courses. They say she’s really smart about money. She has invested in stocks, bitcoins, bonds, you know, all those fancy financial stuff. And I actually wanted to meet up with her together with you. I haven’t confirmed the day yet, but it is supposed to be lunchtime. Wanna come?”

Unsure if I was dumbstruck or star struck, I made the choice.

Andy: Accept/Refuse/Ask for time to think

“Let’s make it tomorrow.”



© 2019 Wathanya.5KY3


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on July 30, 2017
Last Updated on August 14, 2019


Author

Wathanya.5KY3
Wathanya.5KY3

Nagoya, Aichi, Japan



About
I’ve been frustrated by the lack of representation of minorities in literature. Not that there are none—because there are—but I want people to have the option to read ones that are n.. more..

Writing
Waves Waves

A Story by Wathanya.5KY3


Papa Papa

A Story by Wathanya.5KY3