The Fall of Fidrian

The Fall of Fidrian

A Story by Franklin...
"

I guess you could call this "fan-fiction", as it's based in the world of the game Guild Wars.

"
    An axe glanced off Fidrian Drath's armored shoulder, leaving a scratch in the blackened steel to join those already scarring the piece. The feline-like Charr struggled to recover its balance as the warrior's sword came across to gash its already bleeding torso. It keeled over as the dark sword fended off another blow directed at the besieged human's cranium. A small fireball sizzled in from the side, missing its mark and hammered into the breastplate of another Axe Fiend. It staggered back as the explosion expanded outward, incinerating much of its fur into an acrid cloud of smoke. The Firecaller's compatriate snarled in glee as its own fireball impacted Fidrian's side, sending him to the ground. 
   His blade snicked back and forth, warding off the frenzy of blows raining down on him. Reaching inside himself with as much consentration as he dared direct from his defense, he drew on his elemental training and shook the ground with the force of an earthquake. Charr reeled about and pitched to the ground as the earth heaved under them. Fidrian took advantage of the reprieve to struggle to his feet, hindered now not only by the weight of his armor and his already numerous injuries, but also by the effort of using magic. 
    The Charr began to recover only to be met by the bloody blade of this demon who would not die. The last of the Fiends fell away, futilely tying to stem the flow of blood from the hole in its chest, and Fidrian leapt over the bodies toward the duo of Firecallers... And was almost hurled from his feet by the concussive blasts of a pair of fireballs. Grey eyes cleared quickly behind his helm's eye slits, and he doggedly continued his advance. Two final Charr collapsed, their blood soaking into the partched and barren earth beneath them.     
    A moment of brittle silence fell, only to shattered as an arrow clanged into Fidrian's back and fell to the ground. He whirled and a second missle found the space in his armor just between his pauldron and breastplate, sending waves of pain up and down his left arm. 
    The beast before him was larger than most Charr, and a green aura of power surrounded it. It nocked a another arrow and let fly, the impact knocking Fidrian's breath away and leaving him feeling weakened. Even as he began to charge the beast, a fourth arrow found a chink in the armor of his right leg. The Charr peeled back its teeth in a savage grin of pleasure, igniting a final arrow in the flames burning fitfully on a fallen Charr. It drew back on its bow 'til it bent to its utmost and released. Exhausted and crippled, Fidrian Drath had no options. He watched as the arrow streaked toward him, brilliant corona of yellow flame surrounding a dark core of metal, a tiny sun that grew until it filled his vision. It penetrated his armor as it might cloth, burrowing deep into his chest and piercing his heart.

© 2010 Franklin...


Author's Note

Franklin...
If you haven't played the game some of this may not make sense; I'm not even sure I should post this...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on July 25, 2010
Last Updated on July 25, 2010

Author

Franklin...
Franklin...

AK



About
Just a guy who dabbles with writing from time to time. Just thought I'd put this here for reference, and to possibly fend off any misunderstanding: I'm not in the habit of writing two word reviews. D.. more..

Writing