Chapter Five: There's No Need to Understand

Chapter Five: There's No Need to Understand

A Chapter by BAMchick96

Jesse's POV

Why is it that Roe is one of the hardest people to find in this school? I swear, that girl is as evasive as a ninja. Sigh.

"Ey, Jesse. What are you doing roaming around the halls like this? It's lunch time, lets go grab some food." Trish says lopping her arm around mine. Abagail, Nora and Derek were with her.

I met them after I joined this school during the end of our Junior year. They were nice enough to talk to me; welcoming me into this foreign environment where everyone had already established a cliche and were in no mood to add a new girl. But they don't know my story. Although they were nice enough to include me, they haven't exactly gained my trust since they have such big mouths. They are the official school gossip news-feed.

"I'm sorry, Trish. I'm looking for Roe. Have you seen her? I need to talk to her." I pulled my arm away and kept looking around.

"God. Seriously Jesse. Why do you insist on talking to that girl? She's such a freak." Her face contorted at the thought of Roe.

As you can see, these guys aren't exactly fond of Roe.

"Yeah. How many times do we have to tell you to stay clear of her? Your reputation will get fucked up like her's if you keep trying to be around her. She's worse than the emo kids," Nora chimed in.

"She's not all that bad. I have talked to her. If you just--" 

"WAIT! You TALKED to her?! HOW?" Everyone looked at me with awestruck eyes.

"Uh, what do you mean?"

"We didn't tell you?" Abagail gasped.

"No. What? Tell me." 

Now I was confused. How could they have missed telling me some form of gossip and something which seemed to have been really important. They caught my attention even though I tried to resist the temptation. I don't like talking about people behind their backs like these guys do.

"She never talks!" Nora finally spat out after a dramatic pause.

"What?" I could hear the disbelief in my voice.

"Really! She never talks. I have three classes with her and I've never heard her speak. She just sits at the back of the class reading books or something. I don't think anyone has ever heard her talk. Well, I guess except for you that is, " Derek says with his usual exaggerated body language and facial expressions. I sometimes wonder if he is some one who was reincarnated from the Renaissance period.

"That's bullshit!" I looked back at them not being able to believe them.

"Come on. Why the f**k would we be lying to you? It's obviously the truth. Ask anyone. She really never talks. She hasn't since she's joined this school. Even we tried to talk to her. She just refuses to talk to people. It's so creepy." Nora put her hands on her hips.

Oh s**t. She really was serious.

When I first joined school and they told me about her, they never said anything about her not talking. I just thought no one talks to her cause she's such an introvert.

I realized that I'd gotten lost in my thoughts when Trish cleared her voice. "So, how did you get her to talk to you? And since when has she been talking to you?" 

"Umm... I guess it was during the summer. I saw her around town a lot and just tried to talk to her. At first she really didn't really reply. I thought it was because she was just shy. I hadn't thought that it's because she doesn't talk to people. After a lot of attempts at talking, she finally said 'Would you leave me alone.' and I guess that was it."

So the first time we talked wasn't much of a success but at that time I took it as a small step forward. Never would I have thought that it was actually a huge step. God. The things you learn about people... But I guess if I knew that earlier I wouldn't have even bothered to take the time to talk to her since it would have seemed impossible.

Everyone looked genuinely interested in the story, but I knew it wasn't because they wanted to befriend Roe. It's so they can get some more interesting gossip. Maybe I shouldn't have told them.

"Well anyway, I've got to go look for her. We have a project for chemistry and stuff. So I guess I'll see you guys later."

I smiled and walked away thinking about this new piece of information I just learned. What is going on with Roe...

----------------

"THERE YOU ARE!" I bursted out. She flinched and turned her head around to face me. "I've been looking for you everywhere. I need to talk to you.  Do you have a minute?" 

After looking around the ENTIRE school for 20 minutes, I finally found her sitting under a tree in a corner in the school yard eating a sandwich. I really wish I had thought to look here sooner. My body was exhausted from all the running around and I didn't even get to eat lunch yet. It was a good thing I took my medicine before lunch began or I would be dead by now. Roe is so much work. 

She slowly got up, dusting off her pants as she did. Her body language was indicating she was going to make a run for it. I quickly stood in front of her, blocking her get away path.

She furrowed her eyebrows. She's mad. Sigh. "What! What do you want?!" I guess she didn't like the idea of me trapping her. "Just leave me alo--!" I put my hand up as an indication for her to stop talking.

I took in a large breath and said, "We have a project for chemistry. It's 30% of our first term report cards. God knows why he's giving it in the beginning of the school year. All the lab partners are paired up. The topic is Organic Chemistry. Now, it's due on Tuesday which means we have we have four days including today. Since this is such an important project, we should start working on it today." I was rambling out everything. Who knew the next time I'd find Roe. I needed to get this out now.

Her expression told me she was registering it all in. Then finally she said "Alright. Whatever. I don't really give a f**k." And like she said, she really didn't give a f**k but I did. My grades were on the line. However, at least she was agreeing to help or well... I think thats what she ment by 'Alright, whatever'.

Finally, after an awkward silence, she opened her mouth with a very uninterested expression. "Then where do you want to meet?" 

Was what Trish and them said true? I really was having a hard time believing it; especially when we are talking. It didn't seem like she'd gone mute. The way she talks doesn't make me think of someone whose timid or finds talking hard; it always feels like her voice is full of confidence.

I dismissed the thoughts of what they said from my mind... For the moment anyway. "Lets meet at the library today at 5 then." With a sigh, she nodded her head and I left her to return to her lunch so I could finally go get a bite to eat....

I really do hope she shows up.

 

Roe's POV

She's so annoying. But I guess doing this project and doing it well would make Mr Alcotoch get off my case. Sigh.

Perhaps it will be worth the trouble.



© 2013 BAMchick96


Author's Note

BAMchick96
So here I bring you another chapter. You learned quite an important piece of information about Roe here. I hope you found it interesting.

I don't really know what else say about this chapter. :

Anyway, comment what you think:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't get how people review you before me :P Not fair! Now I know what Shaz means by other people commenting on my FB stuff before her...

K so about the story. You really do sound exactly like yourself in your writing! I'm just the opposite :P And you keep making me more and more curious about Jesse. What's this story of hers? What illness does she have? And again, there are times I keep forgetting you wrote this since you sound professional. Your characters are believable. And yeah it's interesting how Roe doesn't talk to anyone but Jesse. Can't wait for the next chapter! I am not letting you give up on this story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Blue Ivory

11 Years Ago

oh and "it always seems like her voice is full of confidence"* And lol alcotoch is a funny name
Check your spelling and grammar, and I'd consider removing the headings stating whose POV it is and limiting yourself to one perspective per chapter to focus on. It looks very unpolished and unfocused with you flitting around from character to character as it is, and that's never a good thing. Your dialogue is decent but your narrative is much too informal - the setting should be explained through the actions and words of the characters.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 19, 2013
Last Updated on April 20, 2013
Tags: there's, no, need, to, understand, under, the, weather, rescues, chapter, five, deafening, silence


Author

BAMchick96
BAMchick96

Queens Village, NY



About
So.... I guess I should write SOMETHING about myself here... But urm... Im unsure what to write so here are some random details about me! Name: Tabassum Grade: 11 Birthday: April 26 (Ta.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by BAMchick96