Gathered Information

Gathered Information

A Chapter by Xavier Lee
"

Three weeks have passed since Darren's capture. Aether meets gods and questions his existence.

"

 

“This plan is completely insane Solution.” I say.

“In three weeks we’ve gone through basically every possibility.” Lucas says.

 “We don’t have a better option than this one.” Solution responds to my statement.

“Haven’t we gone over this one before?” Todd asks.

“Yes, but this one seems like the least…” I fumble for the word.

“Hopeless.” Solution suggests.

“I was going to say ‘fatal’, but same difference really.” She grins at me, and I smile back.

"This is almost hopeless." Sammy says from under the table, startling me. Why does he remain under there?

"Yes, but it's the almost we're hanging onto." Solution reassures him.

“Have you had any luck in dreams?” Todd asks me.

I shake my head, “Morpheus has been unable to see me much. My dreams have been blackness as of late. He appeared for a few moments last night, but vanished before he had time to say ‘hello’.” Solution looks down, and closes her eyes.

I know that look, she is calculating. She takes a minute, and her brow scrunches in that cute way she has when she is flustered or confused.

I gently lift her head up, so that she is looking into my eyes. She opens hers and sees what I am doing, and jerks her head away, arching an eyebrow.

“Look,” I tell her, “I know that it feels hopeless. But whatever we, whatever you come up with, it is going to work. Darren is going to be safe. Okay?”

She looks doubtful, but nods, “Yeah.”

“Good. Now we need to figure out how a rescue mission will work.” I look down at the table, and as I do a strand of hair falls in my face, but I brush it aside. I am about to scan the map but see Solution smiling in my periphery. “What is it?” I ask, looking at her.

 Her smile falls, but slowly. “Nothing.” She says, turning away. I look at Todd and Lucas, but they shake their heads and shrug.

I shake mine as well. “Alright, so Erebus is the god of darkness; no, he is darkness. Which means that hiding in the shadows is not an option.”

“Right.” Todd agrees.

“That means we are going to have to find a way to be stealthy, but remain in well-lit areas.”

“Why couldn’t he detect us before?” Sammy asks.

“Likely because he did not know to look for us.” I answer, “He is expecting us to come for Darren eventually, so he will know to pay attention.”

“If you really are light,” Lucas says, “Shouldn’t that mean you two cancel each other out? Like, you couldn’t sense each other?”

“I suspect the opposite is true.” I say, “I think that we are connected. We do not cancel each other, but exist together.”

“Explain that.” Solution says.

“If and when I regain my full power, I will be able to sense Erebus from anywhere. I am almost certain that he can sense me even now.”

“Whoa, whoa,” Todd says, “Does that mean he could find us here?”

“I think if he wanted to come here, he would be here now.”

“Can we move on?” Solution asks.

“The sewers are not optional.” I declare.

“Agreed. They’re too small to fit a single person inside, and besides, none of the sewers leads to the Tower; where I’m certain Darren is being held.”

“Then there is the matter of making our way through the Tower and back down with what I’m sure will be a severely wounded Darren.”

Solution and I both rub our eyes, exhaustion taking over. Is this possible? Every eventuality is death and nothing more. We cannot hide from Erebus, we cannot face him directly…what other option is there?

“There is no way we can do this!” I hiss.

“Excuse me?” Solution says.

With each syllable my volume rises. “We can plan all we want. We can do whatever the hell we want. Eventually, we are all going to die! The whole world is going to be lost! None of us are powerful enough to face Erebus, and he will toss us aside like insects.” I cannot explain it, but I am furious. Though I try, there seems to be no way to calm myself down.

I am almost ready to take out my staff and smash the table to splinters.

“Tell me something.” I continue, “What if we do manage to rescue Darren? Who is to say he is still alive? Even if he is, what then? He will probably be injured beyond repair, not to mention insane! Just because we save him does not mean that we will find a way to defeat Erebus. That is the end goal, right? Defeat Erebus, take back this world. We cannot do that. This so called resistance is nothing more than a group of children who cannot face reality. Not only that, but how do we explain exactly what happened to me? What did? If I was a god, where did my power go?”

“Aether, calm down.” Solution urges.

“I will not calm down!” I scream, horror comes across her face, but I do not stop, “What happens to me if we defeat Erebus? Where do I go? Will I regain my memories and my power? Should I even want them back? What would be the point? What if I regain my memories to find that I was some kind of damned beast? Monsters existed and many of them were very powerful! I would not be able to live with myself!”

A harsh stinging sensation burns across my face suddenly, and my anger slowly dissolves. When it does, I see a vision of the man in armor I had seen before. Burning eyes full of malice, and a blood-curdling laugh bellowing from a mouth that could crunch iron. When the vision clears, the anger dissipates entirely. Solution stands before me, her hand raised.

“Your eyes were just glowing pure white.” She informs me, voice low.

“They were?” she nods. I sit down slowly and put my now aching head in my hands. “What just happened?”

“When I slapped you it looked like your eyes went out of focus. Did you see something?”

“I did, a man in armor with fiery eyes clad in Greek armor, he was laughing like a maniac.”

She looks at me closely, chin between her fingers. “Do you have any idea what that was?”

“I have no idea whatsoever. The man, whoever he is, I am not sure. He looked to me like an enemy. No, not that. A rival perhaps? He is not a friend, I am sure of that.” There is an empty feeling in my head and my temples hurt. Rubbing them, I look at the map table again.

Solution studies me for a second, the pained look on my face. “Aether, I think you need to talk to Morpheus about the other gods.”

“The other gods? What on Earth for?”

“A man clad in Greek armor laughing like a maniac. Call it a hunch, but it sounds to me like you saw another god. Besides, I wanna know why the gods aren’t helping us. I’m not sure if I trust Morpheus, but if you do, then I have no other choice.”

“Perhaps you are right. It would do us all good to know exactly what I am missing.”

“I’m always right. Now, go get some sleep.”

I put up my hands and say “Alright, you win, I am off.”

“And Aether?” I look back to her, she is smiling, “You really shouldn’t curse.”

“I know, it sounds bad.”

“No, well yes, but the thing is, you really just don’t know how.”

I stare blankly at her for a minute before she pushes me out of the Hall.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

I lie down on my bed, sinking into the familiar folds and creases of the blankets. I focus and say, “Alright, Morpheus, I need you now, please come speak to me. Tell me about the other gods.”

Blackness descends as I lose consciousness. Erebus appears before me with his staff clutched in his hand. He raises the weapon and with it bears down on me. As it touches my face, it turns into black smoke along with Erebus.

Morpheus appears with a smile on his human face. Before either of us can speak, he vanishes with a surprised look replacing the smile. Hard packed grey dirt replaces the glass-like blackness from a second ago. The sound of clashing metal startles my eyes to look ahead.

A soldier made entirely of gold comes straight for me, his gilded blade glowing dimly from within. As his sword pierces my flesh…I feel nothing. The soldier continues going through me, and in fear I turn to the side, my body going through the sword and the soldier as though I were not there. As I turn I see the soldier’s true target: another soldier clad in black armor. A lance made of black metal launches through my chest into the belly of the gilded soldier, though again there is no pain.

I look around me to see a fierce and bloody battle between the gilded men and the ones clad in black. In the distance I can see…the Dark Tower? I wander around, or rather through, the battlefield until I find the man leading the golden army.

The man in armor I had seen before stands high in a chariot pulled by horses made of pure flame. He swings his sword through the head of an enemy soldier when time seems to slow down.

The battle continues in slow motion. A golden man sweeps his blade and knocks the head off of his opponent. A ways away, several of the shadow men pull apart a golden soldier. He does not scream as his limbs are pulled off, gears and other machine parts flying everywhere. Other scenes like these surround me. I turn to the man in the chariot and watch as he swings his sword through enemy after enemy, an insane but delighted smile on his face.

Following him I see apparitions. Sitting behind him on his chariot is a woman, pale and sickly. A cruel smile plays on her lips while she cradles a golden apple in her hands. On the ground next to the leader is a man dressed in armor similar to his, he is fighting in much the same way as well, with similar results. All around me I hear laughter, every time swords clash with each other, shields, armor, or flesh a laugh ensues. Every scream, every fall, with every noise comes a giggle. On the chariot next to the leader are several small creatures. Demonic things with large ram’s horns on their heads, they also have blades for hands and feet, and their tales end in long knife-like stingers.

“Alale alala!” The man screams. A girl on the other side of him repeats the cry as they advance.

From across the battlefield I hear two men repeat the cry as well. When they do the enemies around them drop to the ground and cover their heads in fear.

I hear screeching behind me and instinctively drop to the ground. A creature swoops over me faster than I can identify it. The thing lands on a fallen soldier and immediately tears into it, feasting greedily. Filthy brown wings flutter on the creature, and a tattered red dress is draped around what I am now realizing is a female. A similar looking creature lands across from her and pushes her away, tearing into the body for herself. They fight over the carcass like vultures.

I turn away from the sickening scene and look once more to the man on the chariot. Suddenly it clicks, for a fleeting moment. I say “Ares,” Before whatever realization that was blows away. The man stops midswipe, and as soon as he does the battle, and the battlefield itself, vanish. He looks over in my direction and upon seeing me jumps out of his chariot and starts running toward me.

He grabs me by the collar and shakes me, “Where the hell have you been?” He demands, “Have you any idea how boring it was without you there to spar with?”

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” I say, trying to grab at his wrists.

“Don’t you dare try to feed me the same lie you did Morpheus!” He says, letting go of me. “Tell me where you’ve been. Morpheus said he swore not to tell us.”

“Should I know you?” I ask.

“Damn it!” He yells, “Aether, it’s me, Ares!” At my blank stare the irritation on his face grows. He exhales through his nose and stands back with hands on his hips “God of war. I’m the one who taught your high and mighty a*s to get used to having a body to move around in. And how to use it to kill.”

“Apologies Ares, truly.” I insist, “But I have no idea who you are.”

“Aether, you cannot lie to me about this. We both know that nobody could take your memory.”

“I swear it is the truth.” I get to my feet and look Ares in his brown eyes. They are glowing the way eyes do when they reflect fire. “I have amnesia. I do not know how, but it is true. Now I need to know why you are here.”

“I’m not here for any reason.” He answers, “I had a vision of battle, thought it might be kind of fun, so I drew my sword. Then I see you for the first time in months.”

“What about before when I saw you?” I ask.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” He says. He turns around and groans, “That was the first real battle I’ve had in decades. I’m the damn god of war and there hasn’t been a war for years! Do you know what it’s like to be addicted to bloodshed and not be able to get it? It sucks.”

Suddenly I realize that Ares is a lot younger than I had thought. The face under is helm is that of a man very early into his twenties.

“How old are you?” I ask.

“I don’t know, a few thousand years. But we like to keep ourselves young. Me, I keep it at about twenty-five, the peak of physical condition.”

“A few thousand years?” I repeat.

He scoffs, “That’s got nothing on you. You’re as old as time himself.”

“‘Himself’?” I repeat.

“Doesn’t matter. Where are you now? I mean, really?”

“With the Resistance in what they said was once called America.”

He whirls around and guffaws. “You went there? You said you wanted to know more about them, but I didn’t think you would go to this length.”

“What are you talking about?”

“A few years ago, I told you about a group of people in America who were trying to fight Erebus. You said they were fools, but you also said you wanted to know more about them.”

“They found me by accident.” I say. “I did not…seek them out.”

“Do you really know that?” He challenges. “Wait a sec, hold on!” He gasps.

“What?” I ask.

“Did you meet them?” He asks. “Oh man, she’ll want to know how they are!”

“Who will, how who are?”

“You know, her kids!” He says.

“Who’s kids?”

His mouth moves but no sound comes out. He starts to vanish and suddenly I find myself back in the empty blackness with Morpheus.

“That was odd.” He says, “Something high jacked the dream space. I was working hard on it and finally managed to get it back.”

“Damn it Morpheus!” I growl.

“What?” He asks.

“I was talking to Ares.”

“Oh, you don’t wanna talk to that prick.”

“He was about to tell me something potentially important.”

“Doubt it, nobody tells Ares the important stuff.”

“Great. I will have to put that off for now.”

“You summoned me here.” He says, “Good job by the way. What did you wanna know?”

What was it Solution wanted me to ask about? “I do not recall exactly. Tell me exactly what I am. You said before that I am the primordial deity of light. Expand on that please.”

“Well, there isn’t much more to tell. As I told you, before everything there was Chaos. From Chaos you and Erebus sprang forth. After you came the other primordial deities, ending with Gaea, the Earth.”

“You are implying that I am the first being to come into existence.” I say.

“I’m stating it outright.”

“So I transcend the Earth.”

“You transcend time himself.”

“’Himself?’” I repeat. Ares said the same thing.

“I mean Chronos, the personification of time.”

“What does that mean for me now? I am physically and mentally a seventeen-year old human.”

“Yeah, weird. You took that form before, when you were with us. You must have gotten stuck with it when you became mortal.”

“Back to the topic. You said that Erebus rose just after me.”

“So one story goes. Another says that he was your father. But we believe that you two rose around the same time. After all, you can’t exist without each other. He needs you to keep him in order; you need him to keep you in order. You exist together, side by side.”

“Side by side.” I repeat. “Then what happened? Something has clearly severed our connection.”

“We aren’t entirely sure. You left Olympus some time ago. Last time we all saw you, you were still a god.”

“Olympus?”

“The home of the gods. Anyway, you left to fight Erebus and set things right.”

“Back up a moment.” I say, “You seem to be getting ahead of me. Go back to the beginning. How did this all start?”

“When the gods fell…”

“What do you mean ‘fell’?”

“I mean when humans stopped worshipping us, and we lost our influence in the mortal world.”

“Oh.”

“Okay, when the gods fell, Erebus got angry. For all of his existence, he had never been worshipped. Unlike the other gods, no one ever prayed to the two of you, or burnt offerings for you. You two didn’t do much back then, so nobody really cared about you. You didn’t care, being simply the element; your only concern was keeping Erebus in check. Erebus, however, wanted to be revered by the humans, more than any god. He decided he couldn’t do it in his elemental form. For four thousand years, he worked and toiled to create a physical form for himself. Unfortunately for him, that form was merely a statue that would do him no good until a human touched him.”

“Christopher Black.” I say, recalling the story Darren me.

“Yeah, that fool wandered in and picked up the statue. And so, Erebus was finally able to take a human form. You didn’t like that; it went against the order that you two are supposed to follow. You shouldn’t have bodies, you’re meant to exist as the elements you each personify. However, with Erebus in a human form, you couldn’t fight him, so you fashioned a human form for yourself. It was hard for you, but easier than it was for Erebus, since you went straight for possession.”

“What do you mean by possession?”

“Erebus tried to create a physical form for himself out of nothing, so then he had to possess a human. You went directly to possession.”

“I am, possessing a human?”

“No, no. A human body could not possibly withstand the power of a god. Much less a primordial like yourself. No, your power enveloped the human and from that, a physical form was created.”

“I do not understand.”

“You took the physical energy of that human, and covered your energy form in it. The human didn’t die, if that’s what you’re worried about.”

This energy talk is going directly over my head. I need him to get to the point.

“Alright, I created a human body for myself, then what?”

“After that, you made your way to Olympus and spent the next fifty years getting used to having a physical form. Training in fighting, in what you could do with a body. You always seemed fascinated with the prospect. Your entire existence, thousands and thousands of years, and you never had a body until fifty years ago. After all that time, you were ready to challenge Erebus. You left the second you figured you were ready. You didn’t tell us what exactly you were doing. You just said goodbye.

“Unfortunately, that’s all we know. We don’t know what happened when you fought Erebus, only that somehow, during your encounter, you lost your godhood and memories. Essentially, you became a demigod.”

“Demigod?”

“Half god, half mortal. Usually the term refers to the human children of the gods, like a great majority of the members of your Resistance.”

“They are children of the gods?” Morpheus nods, “That would explain the things that many of them can do.”

“Yes, I’m sorry I cannot be of any more use to you, Aether. All I can do is tell you what has already happened. And I cannot even tell you much of that. I’m afraid that your only chance of regaining your memories, and your godhood, is to defeat Erebus and take it back from him. Other than that, we are of no use to you.”

“Do not worry, Morpheus. But are you sure that there is nothing else you can tell me about my challenging Erebus?”

“I can tell you more of what drove you to do it. Somehow you knew of Erebus’ plan to absorb us, so you left Olympus and met him at his tower. After that you vanished. We had no idea what happened or where you went.”

“Did you worry?” I ask.

“We all did. You are family to us. In addition, we need you to restore the order to the world. With no idea where you were, we couldn’t do anything.”

“I apologize.” I say.

Morpheus smiles, “Do not. We have lasted without you. And for now, you can stand beside the humans and protect our children.”

“Thank you for everything Morpheus.” I say.

“It is my genuine pleasure Aether. As I am sure you have sensed, the end of our time together draws near. I fear that I will no longer be able to visit you in dreams, it becomes harder and harder to mask myself, and my master is beginning to take notice much easier. Goodbye Aether, and good luck” With that, Morpheus bows, and vanishes.

It is always when Morpheus leaves that I wake up. It is also at this moment that I realize that we had not discussed the other gods. Oh well, I am certain that I will learn it all soon. But for now I must go see Solution and tell her what I have learned

 

ɂɂɂ

 

“To sum up,” Solution says, “We can’t beat Erebus and our battle is pointless.”

“I am saying that I cannot destroy Erebus. We need each other for balance. In the end, we both must return to our primordial forms. We must return to the way things were before he became evil.”

“You mean he hasn’t always been evil.”

“No, before, he was simply darkness, I was simply light. Neither of us had morals, or personalities. We simply were.”

“You realize how crazy you sound, right?”

“I am aware.” She chuckles, but then looks confused. “So, what are we supposed to do?”

I nod, “Yes, that is the question.”

“What do you suggest?” She asks.

“I have no definite plans, or enough information to make one. However, I think I might have an idea.” I say. Solution’s eyes light up and she leans forward

“I think I have a way to defeat Erebus. Or at least, a way to weaken him.”

“Just get to the point.” She says.

“Right, well. As I have explained, Erebus’ plan is to absorb all of the gods, thereby becoming the high god himself. If I can fight him, and somehow take my godhood back from him, I am certain I will be able to set things right.”

Solution looks at me for a moment, but then seeing that I have finished, looks down and then back up at me.

“Okay,” She says, “Where do I begin? First off, you tried fighting Erebus before, you failed miserably. And even considering all you’ve learned, how do you expect to be able to take your godhood back from him, assuming he doesn’t kill you?”

I hold up a hand over Solution’s mouth. “Solution, that is a valid argument. But kindly shut it and let me explain. I do not think that Erebus can kill me. At least, not fully. Maybe he can hurt me, but I do not think I can actually die. After all, I am the force of light, yes? Meaning that I cannot be destroyed completely.”

“Are you trying to tell me you’re immortal?”

“It may be so. I am uncertain, but it makes sense does it not?”

“None of this makes sense.” She says. “Besides, you can still feel pain right? Fighting the Dark God will still hurt.”

“Like hell, but that could be the catalyst for returning me to godhood.”

“What if you’re wrong? What if death is the end for you? When that happens, he’ll come after all of us. We can’t make a plan based on a theory. Especially a theory this unsupported. If you’re wrong we’re all dead.”

“Perhaps.”

“This all seems a bit hopeless. I’m afraid for us.”

I smile at her, “Do not worry, dear, I refuse to let him do anything to you. I know it is going to be difficult, but we can figure this out. All will be well.”

Solution looks down, pondering what I’ve said. She waves a hand, signaling me to leave her alone. I stand and start heading out when Solution calls out, “Hey!” I turn back,

“Did you call me…dear?” Surprise comes over my face as I blush fiercely. I turn and run all the way to the Bakery.

I burst through the door, panting. I look up and see Krista at the counter, as she often is. When I catch my breath I notice someone else at the counter in front of her. It is that girl, the one with short pink hair. I start walking towards her, intending to make introductions when she turns suddenly and runs straight into me. The girl is stronger than she looks, and makes me trip over my own feet.

When I recover, I raise my head and see her lying on my chest. She looks up at me and I cannot help but think that she is, well, adorable. Not nearly as beautiful as Solution, but then she has a different sort of beauty. No, it is not beauty, but cuteness. Her eyes are large, and her irises are red.

She starts to blush, and practically jumps back up. “Oh, sorry!” she says, “I’m a lot stronger than I look; I haven’t really learned to control it yet! Here, let me help you.” Amazing, even her voice is cute, somehow. She helps me to stand, apologizing again. Then she takes a look at my face. “Hey, I know you! You’re that new guy who thinks he’s a god!”

“Well, technically, I am the primordial light deity.” I say.

“Yeah, a god.” She says.

“No, not a…I suppose, a god.” Who is this girl?

“That’s alright; you can think whatever you want. You wanna go around acting like a god, more power to ya’!” she smiles and giggles.

“Thank you.”

“Just don’t get all full of yourself and go around thinking you’re invincible. You’ll die that way.”

“I will keep that in mind…uh…”

“Ana.”

“Ana? Interesting name.”

“Really? I kinda hate it.”

“Why?” I ask.

“It just sounds so weird.”

“You could change it.” I suggest.

She tilts her head cutely, “What would I change it to?”

“Anything you want, I suppose.”

She stares at me blankly for a few seconds. “I have absolutely no idea!” She proclaims proudly.

“None at all?” This girl, Ana, is amusing.

“What are you smiling about?” She asks.

“Was I smiling? No reason.”

Krista returns to the counter from the kitchen, carrying a tray. “Hey Ana!” She calls, “your food’s ready. Oh, hey Aether.”

“How are you Krista?” I ask.

She looks down at the floor. “Fine.”

“Are you sure?”

She raises her head and exclaims, “What is it you want?”

I do not answer, and notice Ana looking between the two of us.

“What’s with you?” She asks.

“It’s nothing.” Krista says, “So you two have met?”

“Yup! The great airheaded god!” She laughs.

“You should see him fight. You wouldn’t think he’s so ridiculous.” Krista says.

“Oh, thank you Krista.” I say.

“Don’t get me wrong, he’s definitely an airhead.” I hate when people tease me, I can never think of anything good to say back to them.

“Alright, look, technically, I am not a god. I used to be, kind of. But now I am little more than a demigod. Like you people here.”

“A what?” Ana asks.

“A demigod, a child of a god and a mortal.”

“You think we’re children of the gods? That’s insane.” Krista says.

“I do not think it, I know you are. Morpheus told me most of the Resistance members are demigods.”

“You really trust this Morpheus guy. How do you know it’s not just a dream? How do you know it’s really him? Better question, how do you know he’s really trying to help you?”

“I cannot really explain it. I just know.” They look at me skeptically. “Well, it was almost like I could, sense him. I do not understand it myself exactly. It is just that, I could feel like he was there, that he was who he said he was. I got the same feeling when I met Ares, like I could sense their godhood. Morpheus told me that the gods can do that. ‘Almost like we smell the ichor in each other’s veins’ he said. I get a similar, albeit weaker feeling around most of the Resistance members.”

Krista went back to the kitchen while I was talking, and Ana is looking at me in wonder. “Well, okay!” she says brightly. Then she looks down at her food and whines. “Aww, it’s gone cold. Think Krista will make me more?”

Why is it that when I answer somebody’s questions, they ignore me entirely? Here I am, unloading something truly fascinating, and they do not even listen! I cannot believe it. Ana turns and calls for Krista, who appears from the kitchen and begins conversing with her. Meanwhile I stand openmouthed.

Krista looks around Ana at me and says “Close your mouth, you look like an idiot.”

“Do either of you understand what I am trying to tell you?”

“Not really.” They say in unison.

“Perfect; only checking.”

“Aether, since you’re here, do you want something?”

I open my mouth, close it, open it again, and then sigh. “I may as well. Whatever it is that Ana is having.”

“Alright, comin’ up!” Krista says, and then she goes back into the kitchen.

I start heading to a table when Ana calls out, “Hey, do you wanna join me?”

I turn and see her smiling at me.

“Come on!” she says and grabs my hand, pulling me to a table (the same table I had been heading for, I might add). She pushes me down into a chair and sits across from me.

“They said you don’t remember anything.” She says. “Is that true?”

“Not a thing.” I answer, “Though I have regained my name.”

“What’s that?”

“Aether.”

“Oh.” She says. We sit in awkward silence for a while, until she pulls a little ball out of her pocket and starts playing with it. She rolls it around and around the table. It falls off but bounces back up. Her eyes widen and she starts bouncing the ball, watching it as if it were the most amazing thing she had ever seen. She does this for a while before noticing me watching her. She puts the ball back in her pocket, embarrassed.

“What is wrong?” I ask.

“The way you were looking at me.” She says, blushing.

“I do not understand what you mean.” I say, legitimately confused.

“The last time a guy looked at me like that, he ended up trying to kiss me.”

“Oh, worry not; I will not try to kiss you. I am interested in another girl. If I may ask, what did you do when he tried it?” I say.

“I punched him in the face and broke his nose!” She proclaims.

“Really?”

“Yeah, he was rolling on the floor holding his face.”

“Did it hurt your hand?”

“Of course not, I’m super strong!” She says proudly, “What’s so funny?”

“You are. I am hesitant to say it, but you are adorable.”

Her face twists into an angry pout that, although probably not her intent, makes her even cuter. “I am not cute.” She says, her lower lip trembling.

“I apologize, but you really are.” I say, chuckling.

She raises just her eyes at me and the next thing I know, I am on the ground, holding my nose and trying to keep the blood from flowing out. Ana is sitting in her chair, her arm outstretched and her hand clenched in a fist. I sit up, and my nose stops bleeding, but it still hurts.

Krista arrives at our table, puts down our food, and says “You called her cute, didn’t you?”

“He called me adorable.” Ana says, still pouting. Krista calls me a dumbass and walks away, laughing.

“I think you broke my nose.” I say, holding my face in pain.

“Good, that’s what you get for calling me cute.” Her arms are crossed and her head is turned up to the ceiling, her eyes closed. I get back in my chair; I wonder how long it will take my nose to heal.

As that thought crosses my mind, the pain stops. I reach up to feel my nose, but it feels fine. Ana sees that it is healed, and her jaw drops.

“Whoa,” she says, all anger forgotten, “How’d you do that?”

“I did not do it, my nose just healed itself.” I will not be mad at her for punching me, mostly because I cannot believe what just happened. “Why does being called cute make you violent?”

“We live in a place where fighting is the most important thing to everyone. Being called cute and nothing else is insulting.”

“That actually makes sense.” I say.

“Well, yeah. How did your nose heal so fast?”

“I would guess it has something to do with my former godhood. Even now I must have a supernatural ability to heal.”

“That’s so cool.” She says.

I sip my coffee, wondering about how much I can do. I concentrate on how light this place is. Along with Network, this place has strips of light on the ceiling, giving off extra illumination. I find it far too bright in here; it gives me a headache. I wish it were darker...as soon as I think that, the room becomes pitch black, except for me. I look at my arm and see it glowing. Actually, my whole body is glowing. The room is filled with the unmistakable aroma of petrichor.

I close my eyes, and try to make the light go back to normal. When I open them, it is bright again, but Ana is lying on the ground, passed out. I spring over to her, and try to wake her up.

“Ana! Ana wake up!” I gently shake her, and she starts moaning. Slowly, she opens her eyes.

“What happened?” she asks.

“I was going to ask you the same question.”

“Aether?” she says weakly. “Why are you holding me?”

I help her stand, and we sit back in our chairs. That was unusual, I just thought about the light, and it bent to my will. If I am light, that makes sense, but why did Ana fall unconscious? I look around the Bakery, but none of the various people seem to have been affected, or take notice of the outburst.

“What did you see?” I ask Ana.

“You looked like you were thinking really hard about something, then the whole room got dark, and you started glowing white, then I passed out.”

“I really was glowing?”

“Yeah, it was scary.”

“My apologies.”

“What were you doing?”

“I was wondering what it is that I am capable of. I felt like it was too bright in here, so I focused on lowering the lights.”

“Well, don’t do it again, okay?”

“You have my word.” Hmm, my first lie. I hate to say, but there is no way I am not going to experiment with this newfound ability. Who could resist the alluring power of a god?

Ana and I eat in silence. Ana seems to have a sweet tooth, as our meals are comprised of especially sweet food. A couple small cakes, a strawberry pastry, and a drink that I think was once coffee but has so many added ingredients it tastes more like liquid sugar. Halfway through the meal I start to bounce my leg involuntarily.

“Do you like sweets?” Ana asks.

“I am quite fond of them, actually.” I answer truthfully.

“Me too.” She smiles and I flash back to what Morpheus said about the Resistance members being demigods. I wonder who Ana’s godly parent is. To look at her, I would guess Aphrodite (No, I have no idea what that means). Then again, I would think the same thing to just look at Solution. But clearly, her godly parent is Athena (No, I do not know what that means either).

“Ana, do you have any idea who your godly parent is?” Seems like a fair question, but Ana looks at me openmouthed.

“My godly…what?” she says.

“Your godly parent, I can sense that you are a demigod, but I cannot guess your parentage.”

“I don’t even know what that means.”

“What do you know about the Greek gods?”

“Nothing at all.” She says it like she is happy about it.

“Shame. Honestly, neither do I. At least, I do not know anything about them consciously.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, when I think about them, my thoughts turn fuzzy, and I cannot recall anything. But when something reminds me of godly things, I recall, then I think about whatever it was, and I forget again.”

“Sounds annoying.” She says. “If we’re all demigods, it must drive you crazy.”

“What are you good at?” I ask her, returning to the subject.

“I can sing pretty good, wanna hear?” Then she starts to sing.

“That is…quite alright,” I interrupt, “I will take your word for it.” Not that I did not want to hear her. Her song, while clipped, was sweet. “Is there anything else that you are skilled at?”

“Except for Sammy, I’m the best doctor we have. But he cheats, so I’m really the best.”

“Fascinating. What else? Have you any fighting skills?”

“I dunno; I’ve never tried to fight before.”

“Really, you have never fought? I thought everyone was required to train.”

“Nuh-uh. Darren lets the ones who don’t wanna fight do other stuff. He’s good that way.”

“What other things do you do?”

“Sing, or help when people get hurt.”

“Nothing else?”

“Why are you asking me all these questions? I don’t like it.”

“I apologize; I am trying to figure out who your godly parent is. Demigods have skills based on what their parents are the gods of. For instance, a child of Ares would be a skilled fighter. A child of Apollo would be able to…” Then it hits me like a bolt of lightning.

“What?”

“A child of Apollo would be skilled in music, poetry, medicine, and archery. Come with me.” I stand and grab Ana’s hand, pulling her along.

“Hey!” she yells, “Where are we going!”

“To the Great Hall, I want to see if you have archery skills.”

“Archery?”

“Archery is shooting arrows with a bow.”

“Yeah, but why?”

“In order to assess your abilities and determine if Apollo is you godly parent.”

“What does that even mean?”

“Never mind what it means. Just come with me.”

“At least let me walk myself!” She cries.

I slow down and look at her. She is pouting again, so I drop her hand and continue on.

“Why do you wanna do this?” She asks.

“For my own peace of mind.” I respond.

“I thought you didn’t know about the gods.”

“Only when I think about them. If I talk off the top of my head I recall subconsciously.”

“That’s what made you think about…Apollo?”

“Yes it was.” Also, Ana describing her skill set. But why? Damn! I have forgotten again. “Remind me of it please.” I ask her.

“Of what?”

“Your skill set.”

“Umm, singing and healing.”

Oh, yeah. “Yes, right.”

We arrive at the Great Hall entrance, and as I put my hand to the plate, I remember what made me leave. I flinch when the door opens and I inch my head forward, looking to see if Solution is still here. Failing to spot her, I sigh with relief.

“What’s up?” Ana asks.

“Nothing, come on.”

I immediately go to the armory wall. When I get there I see Zayin standing in front of it, his finger and thumb on his chin.

“Hello Zayin.” I say.

“Aether.” He responds. “Looks like you’ve met Ana.”

“Yes, I am determining her godly parentage.”

“Her what?” He says, facing me.

“I was told that most of the Resistance members are mortal children of the Greek gods. Being a former god, I can faintly sense the godhood in such people. In you, for example, I sense the blood of Hephaestus.”

“Of who?” He asks.

I open my mouth to respond, but then I forget. “I do not recall.”

A blank look comes over his face, and he shakes his head, turning back to the wall. “How’s the new armor?”

“Very well made,” I respond, looking down at it. It looks much the same as the former set, only the pieces are more angular and are of a brighter metal. It is also more lightweight and, as requested, more durable. “Thank you.”

“What are you doing?” Ana asks.

Zayin smiles and turns to her, “I’ve got some ideas to make Aether’s staff better. To get the metal, I’m gonna have to melt down something.”

“Oh, fun.” Ana says.

Zayin chuckles. “More than you’d think. Do you need anything in particular to help with the archery thing?”

“A bow and some arrows, I guess.” She answers.

“Have you shot a bow before?” He asks.

“Nuh-uh.”

“Then,” He says. He turns back to the wall and looks along it until coming across a simple bow next to a quiver of arrows. He pulls it from the wall and presents it to Ana. “I would suggest this. Light, but strong; not too difficult to pull back the string. A perfect bow for beginners.”

“Do you know archery, Zayin?” I ask.

“Enough to help someone else get started.” He answers.

“So, what do I do with these?” Ana asks.

“Come with me.” Zayin commands. He goes toward the training area and pulls up six simple bulls-eye targets. After making it stand on its own, he comes back to us.

He points toward the first target, “That, is your goal. Hit it dead center, and you can hit anything.”

The door next to the armory wall opens, and Barth appears, “Hey, Zayin, we really need you back here.”

“You guys can’t function without me for five minutes?” He responds.

“No.” He answers.

“Fine, I’ll be right there.” He sighs before turning back to Ana. “I’m afraid I have to go. At its core, archery is a fairly simple practice, despite being difficult to master. I’m sure you’ve seen people do it, so all I can tell you is to be careful.”

“Thanks, Zayin.” Ana says, smiling brightly.

Zayin smiles back, and then nods to me before picking up a few weapons and carrying them through the door.

“He’s so nice.” Ana says.

“Yes, bit unusual for him.” I muse aloud.

“So, how are you gonna teach this to me?” She asks.

“I am not. You are going to learn to rely on your blood.”

“Eh?”

“The talents demigods have are given to them by the godly blood flowing through their veins.” I am not sure how I can speak with such conviction, but the words come without so much as a pause. “Put simply, focus on what you need to do, and I believe you will be able to do it.”

She does as instructed and closes her eyes for a long while, evidently having trouble calming her mind. After a few moments, she hooks the quiver around her, onto her back. Then she holds the bow in her right hand, and pulls an arrow with the left. Before I am even out of the way, she lets the arrow fly. Startled, I back out of the way and nearly trip over my feet. She fires five more arrows before I can even find my footing.

When I regain my composure, Ana is openmouthed and in each bull’s-eye is an arrow. I kneel on the ground as an odd sensation comes over me. I cannot describe it, but I think I know what it is; I am sensing the aura of a god, coming from Ana. It is weak and clouded, but now I have no doubt that she is the daughter of Apollo.

“I did it!” Ana yells excitedly.

“Now I am sure.” I say, “Ana, you are the child of the god Apollo.”

Ana smiles, then squeals and jumps at me in a hug. I swirl her around, partially because I am happy for her, partially because I am elated at having sensed the godly blood inside her. Although I will never admit it aloud, it is also partially because she is adorable and I have wanted to hold her like this since I first saw her.

We are both laughing excitedly, until I swirl around to see Solution watching us. I all but drop Ana, and she backs away.

“Hello, Solution.” I say.

“Hey.” She says. “What’s up?”

“We discovered that Ana is the daughter of Apollo.”

“Really, how can you be sure?”

“I can sense it, inside her.”

“New skill?”

“Apparently.”

“Well, then, I’m curious.” She brandishes her sword, laying it across her shoulders. “Sense the godly blood in me, tell me my parentage.”

I try to do it, and I can sense godly blood in her, but suddenly it shuts off, and I get a sharp pain behind my eyes. I cradle my head and shout in agony, but then the pain vanishes and I let go of my head. Ana is looking at me in concern, and Solution now looks curious.

“What happened?” She asks.

“I…I cannot tell. For a second I could sense it, but then it disappeared.”

“Did it? And why do you think that is?” Solution asks, an unreadable expression on her face.

“I have no idea, but it is truly disturbing. I think I am going to…go outside and get some air.”

I all but run to the Fox-Hole entrance.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

The area outside the Fox-Hole is something to behold, a large expanse of grass surrounds a clearing in a forest of bone-white trees. As with everywhere else, the plant life here is grey, lifeless, and somewhat threatening. There is only just enough light out here to make the trees look like skeletons. Behind me is the cave-like Fox-Hole entrance. Completely natural looking and totally inconspicuous; as it should be, I suppose.

The pain has finally dissipated from my head and I cease rubbing it. What happened with Solution in there? For a second, when I could sense her godly blood it almost felt like…but that can’t be. Also, why did she seem so upset? Was it because I had swirled Ana around? Why would she care…my thoughts are interrupted when I see somebody appear from behind one of the trees. He is hunched over, as though in pain, and he appears to be wearing a crudely carved mask. He gets closer and I can see from the slow way he moves that he is in some kind of agony.

   I run over and yell out, “Hey! Do you need help?” I am about to continue, when I choke on air. The man takes off his mask and Darren’s face appears beneath it. I sprint to my friend and tightly embrace him. I let go and look at him, relieved until I see his face. Scars cover it, rendering him unrecognizable up close. A long scar tears across his cheeks, making it look like he is smiling, though I know he is not. Without a word, Darren winds up and punches me so hard I fall to the ground and see stars.

“You b*****d!” He yells, kicking me. “You twice-damned son of a b***h! Do you have any idea what I’ve been through? Do you!” he kicks me again, to which I counter by sweeping his legs out from under him. After he falls I jump on him and pin his arms down.

“No, Darren, I do not know what you have been through, but whatever it is, I am sorry.” He pushes me off of him and struggles to his feet.

“Yeah, you’re sorry. Bullshit! No you are not f*****g sorry!” A dark look comes over his face, “Not yet.” He tries to punch me again, but I sidestep and clothesline him. He falls to the ground gracelessly. I prepare for him to stand again, but upon inspection I realize that he is unconscious. I sit on the ground next to him, putting my face in my left hand.

“What happened to you?” I wonder aloud. I get to my feet and lift Darren up, carrying him inside the Fox-Hole.

 



© 2015 Xavier Lee


Author's Note

Xavier Lee
I have problems with several parts of this chapter that I just cannot figure out how to fix. Please review and let me know what I can do to fix the problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sorry I've not been active lately, so I was not able to read your chapters. But after a while it actually made me enjoy this piece even more. So Ana is the daughter of Apollo, then that means she must be really good with music. So showing some natural musical talent in her would be a good idea. Solution could be the daughter of Athena and Darren could be the son of Ares. But I don't know, this is just me speculating. Overall great piece and I would be happy to read more. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Xavier Lee

9 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed. As to your speculation, all I can say is...keep reading.
Xavier Lee

9 Years Ago

But...um, you realize that Solution and Darren are twins, right? That was revealed in the last chapt.. read more
David Ung

9 Years Ago

I know but maybe just maybe Athena and War you know... But after reading the next chapter my heart h.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 2, 2015
Last Updated on April 5, 2015


Author

Xavier Lee
Xavier Lee

Holbrook, AZ



About
I'm not sure how concise to make this so I'm gonna go with one-two word answers. Introvert, nerd, otaku (Fan of anime and manga), Dantean scholar, Greek Myth fanatic (that was three words). At the mom.. more..

Writing
First Fall First Fall

A Chapter by Xavier Lee


Know Thy Enemy Know Thy Enemy

A Chapter by Xavier Lee