Dueling

Dueling

A Chapter by Xavier Lee

“What do we do?” Hebe asks. She hides in the empty tub, where Ares has assured her that Erebus would not find them.

“I’m not sure.” Ares answers. She crawls over to him and rests her head on his strong chest.

“You have such a powerful heart.” She says.

“It’ll all be okay.” He promises, “Erebus will be defeated, and we’ll be fine.”

“He took out Zeus.” Hebe responds. “Who could beat him?”

Ares thinks back to all the others he has met in secret. “I’ll tell you a secret. There are powers far beyond Zeus. I’m sure some of them are beyond even Erebus.”

“Really?” She asks excitedly.

“Definitely.” She snuggles closer to him, and he holds her protectively.

“Nice place you have here.” Erebus says, appearing at the door.

A shriek erupts from Hebe and Ares jumps to his feet, drawing his falchion as he does.

“Hiding, Ares?” Erebus says, “Really? Who knew the god of war was such a coward? Oh wait, everybody knew that. I’m disappointed to see it’s true.”

“You got Hades already?” Ares asks, sensing his uncle’s power.

Erebus raises his eyebrow, “I thought that was clear. But, wait, just who do we have here?”

He bends down, ignoring Ares’ sword, bringing his face close to Hebe’s. He reaches out and grabs her chin gently, turning her head to look at her from all angles.

“You are just adorable.” He comments.

In one motion Ares brings his sword down on Erebus’ arm. With a spurt of ichor it falls to the tiled floor at Hebe’s feet. She steps back to avoid the mess.

A new arm grows on Erebus, who chuckles. “Think that would work?”

“I thought it was worth a shot.” Ares responds.

“You know what?” Erebus says, “You two have been on Olympus for long enough. Time for you to see what I’ve done with the world!”

Darkness clouds Ares’ sight, and after a dizzying rush he finds himself surrounded by sand. Hebe lays on the ground beside him, clutching her head. He kneels down and checks to make sure she is alright. She stirs slowly and looks around in confusion.

“Where are we?” She asks.

Ares looks around at the desert surrounding them, “Sahara, maybe. I could be wrong.”

“How do we get out of here?”

Ares concentrates on his home, but as he tries to take them there a horrible pain erupts in his head.

“Erebus won’t let me teleport.” He informs Hebe. “The best option is probably forward.” He helps the youth goddess to her feet and brushes the dust from her dress. “I wish you had dressed differently.”

“I didn’t know we’d be sent to a dessert!”

“Even so.”

She looks down, a pout forming on her face, “You said I looked cute in this dress.”

“Looks are irrelevant right now.” He replies, “We need to get moving, come on.”

“Oh, here’s your sword!” She bends down and struggles to lift the heavy weapon from the sand. She presents it to Ares, who takes it with one hand and hooks its scabbard to his back. With no other option they start moving.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

As is usual my dream begins with images flashing against an empty blackness. A race with Hermes is the first. Though it feels different from the time we raced on Olympus. I run faster and he looks more carefree, I would almost say younger. The image disappears and I then see myself sparring with Ares.

I try to go for a heavy strike with the rapier I see in my hands, but he distracts me by speaking. “First, a rapier isn’t a heavy weapon. Second, your body is built for speed, not strength. Train in doing a bunch of little blows, then finishing with a major strike that leaves your opponent dazed or dead.” I try this method and find Ares on the ground.

“Good.” He says as he stands, “You’re getting better.”

“I shall defeat Erebus easily with training like this.” I hear myself say. My voice is more confident and sounds soothing, older by several years as well. “Shall we continue like this for much longer?”

“Don’t get cocky,” Ares says, “And never talk to your opponent. It’s a battle, not a game.”

“Understood.”

“Good, now we’re gonna try something a little different.” He gestures with his fingers and Athena comes forward, xiphos in hand. She gets into a battle stance in front of me, and without speaking lunges forward. I dodge, unprepared. She continues her advance, but I continue to back away.

Ares shakes his head, “Male or female is irrelevant in battle. It isn’t a man or a woman, or anybody you know. It’s an enemy to be beaten, nothing more and nothing less.”

I nod and parry Athena’s next strike, I counter it and jab her several times in the stomach. Golden ichor flows from her wounds as she stands, rubbing her belly. I remember something, and rush forward.

“I apologize,” I say. “I had forgotten about your child.”

Athena shakes her head, “Please don’t call this monster-spawn my child, Aether.”

“Forgive me.” I say.

“It’s okay,” She replies, chuckling, “You didn’t stab too deep anyway, you only pierced the skin.”

“That is good.” I say. I place my hands over her belly and shine light through to speed healing. With the power going through her, I can see inside, and…

“Athena!” I yell, “There are two children.”

A look of horror crosses her eyes. “What do we do?”

I make my hands glow a little brighter, and push the brightness into her womb, where hopefully the babies will receive a cleansing. His power within the children fights against me, but the strength of a fetus is nothing. Soon the darkness is all but gone and now I feel two demigod children rather than developing gods.

Athena’s grey eyes flash purple, “What did you just do?”

“I believe I just purged your children from the influence of their father.” I answer, pulling my hands away.

“What should we do with them?” Athena asks, “Olympus is not a good place to raise children.”

“Well, we should think of something.” I say.

“You don’t know how to plan, this is my specialty, stick to yours you glorified light-bulb.” She says, grinning.

I am about to respond when Ares interrupts. “I heard about a group of demigods over in America. They’re actively trying to fight Erebus.”

“Then they are a group of fools.” I reply.

“No, no, hear me out.” He requests, “I think it’d be a good idea to take those two there.”

“Why?” I ask incredulously.

“We’ve all been over there.” He answers, “Even had demigod children with a few of them. I myself have seven children there. I think they could help us someday.”

“But raising gods among mortals?” Athena says.

“No,” I say, “They will not be gods.”

“What are you saying?” She asks.

“I have just purged Erebus’ influence from the children. It is his ichor combined with yours that makes them full gods. Without Erebus’ power in them, they will be demigods.”

“That’s brilliant!” She yells. “They could lead those other demigods.”

“Yes.” I say, “That was my thinking.”

“You’re the best, Aether!” Athena exclaims, throwing her arms around me.

“Alright, enough cuddling.” Ares says, “Let’s get back to sparring.”

“Right.” I say as I lower myself into a fighting stance.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

“Aether!” Someone calls quietly, “Wake up!”

I awake but my eyes stay closed. What a strange dream. No, that was a memory! My eyes open and immediately I bring my hand to my head, brushing my hair out of my face and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

“Morning, Aether!” Ana exclaims cheerfully. She sits at the foot of my bed, smiling the same way she always does.

“Good morning.” I return as I sit up.

“How did you sleep?” Solution asks, she sits on her own bed, already dressed and staring at me inquisitively. “You seemed distressed, like you were having a bad dream.”

“Did you have a bad dream?” Ana asks.

“No.” I answer, “I believe I just regained a memory from the time when I was a god.”

“What happened?” Solution asks.

“Something with Athena and Ares.” The implication only now hits me, and I involuntarily jerk my gaze back to Solution. She would have been a goddess if not for me. But she also would have been under Erebus’ command.

She raises her eyebrow, “What?”

I can think of nothing to say. “Nothing. I…the dream has faded, I cannot recall it.”

Why do I lie?

“Well,” Solution’s expression suggests she does not believe me. “If you remember it, let me know.”

She stands and turns to walk away without another word, but Ana lingers.

“What is it, Ana?” I ask, standing up and stretching.

“You aren’t wearing a shirt.” She answers, pointing at me. I look down and notice that she is right. When did that happen? I could swear I went to bed wearing one. How odd.

“So…?”

She blushes, and looks down, “it’s just that…” I see her rolling back and forth on the bed, “You’re all muscly and stuff.”

She was…admiring my physique?

“I would like to get ready for the day alone, if you do not mind excusing me.” I say. She turns and walks up the stairs to the deck.

I made Solution and Darren human. I ponder this as I get dressed; putting on a clean version of the same clothes I wore yesterday; only for whatever reason these have gold trim. Satisfied with simply brushing my hair with my hands, I go up to the deck and see a table spread out with heaps of food that only a horn of plenty could provide.

All but Poseidon and Chiron are sitting at the table, feasting already. I look around for the two and spot them at the wheel, arguing over something I cannot hear.

“I thought that we were going to be there by morning.” I say as I sit down.

“We were,” Solution answers, picking up an apple, “But something happened last night that propelled the ship a day or two off course.”

“What could have done that?” I ask.

“That is what those two are arguing about currently.” Lance says, tearing into a piece of bread.

“They think it could have been a monster or something.” Kara says.

“What are your theories?” I ask them.

“I have none,” Lance says, “What I do know is that the time it will take to return to my people has been protracted.”

“It was gonna take a few days anyway.” Kara says, plucking a white grape from the vine growing around the table. “Doesn’t matter how fast a ship is, even one with a motor couldn’t get there in a night.”

“Which means Poseidon was peacocking.” Solution says.

As the rumbling in my belly increases, I start looking over the table, trying to pick from the plethora of choices.

“Here,” Ana says, holding up a pastry to me, “These are great! Better than Krista could make.”

“No,” Solution says, she puts her apple in my hand, “You need nutrition, not sweets.”

“Sweets make the best breakfasts!” Ana insists.

“Thank you Solution.” I say. I put the apple in my pocket and take the pastry from Ana, “But I do have a bit of a sweet tooth.”

Ana smiles in triumph, and Solution sneers at her as I bite into the treat.

The meal goes on much in that manner, Solution and Ana both offering me different foods. I do not kept track, but I believe I tend to take Ana’s offerings over Solution’s.

“You three.” Lance says after a while, but then he shakes his head, “Never mind it.”

Demos catches my attention by waving his hand. When I look at him, he holds up his dagger, showing off the bull’s head hilt.

“The sign of Taurus.” Lance says for him. “Demos’ likes the ancient study of astrology.”

“Astra what?” Ana asks.

“Astrology,” He responds, “From astron meaning ‘star’ and logia, meaning ‘study of’. It relies on the stars above to supposedly predict things in the world and to tell of a person’s personality. Superstitious nonsense of course, but he finds it entertaining.”

“How can you see the stars?” I ask.

“We can’t.” He answers, “I didn’t say Demos was smart.”

Demos glares at him, and returns the knife to his boot.

“What more is there?” I ask him. “You said sign?”

Demos smiles and then nudges Kara. When she looks at him he starts making strange gestures and symbols with his hands.

She watches for a while before speaking, “He says that there are twelve signs in the zodiac, and we all fall under one depending on when we’re born. He was born in May, so falls under the sign of Taurus.”

He continues making hand gestures, but Kara now looks confused, “Hold on, go back, I didn’t understand that middle part.”

He huffs his breath and rolls his eyes, but repeats several gestures more slowly.

Kara shakes her head, “I dunno, it’s something like ‘you should know them since they’re made out of you’.”

“What does that mean?” I ask him.

He shrugs his shoulders and signs again to Kara, “If she can’t get the sign for it, then I can’t…hey!”

She lightly slaps him on the arm, and he laughs loudly, a surprisingly pleasant sound.

“Have you people been keeping track of the date?” Solution asks.

“No.” Lance answers, “Demos is just delusional. Like his brother.”

“His brother?”

“Gregor.” Kara takes over, “He’s, no offense to Demos, but he’s a cruel liar. He takes the lion’s share of whatever food we find and acts as a judge based on some false sense of faith.”

Demos says nothing, instead looking down with a nod.

We sit in silence for a while, the meal slowing down a few paces, before Kara places a hand on Demos’ arm, “Demos is a sweetheart, though.”

He smiles at her and pops a strawberry into his mouth.

“That was yummy.” Ana says, rubbing her belly and looking pleased.

“Are we done?” I ask.

“I guess.” Lance says, scooting his chair back. The food vanishes and we collectively stand and stretch.

“We have some time, then,” I say, “What do you suggest we do?”

“We should probably train.” Solution says.

“Training will just make us tired.” Ana argues, “What if something attacks and we can’t fight? We should relax and enjoy the ride.”

“Training is probably the better idea.” I say, cracking my knuckles against my chest. “How shall we start?”

Solution walks over to the middle of the deck and pulls her sword from her back and a dagger from her hip. “Come on, let’s do this.” She says to me.

Poseidon cuts Chiron off from whatever he was saying and runs down the stairs.

“I have got to see this!” He yells.

I smile and pull out my staff. Finally, something I understand. Say what negative thing you will about fighting, at least it makes sense.

Solution and I stand before each other, waiting. One of the most important rules of fighting: never be the one to make the first move. Knowing Solution, she is as aware of that rule as I am. We stand facing each other for about a minute before Dionysus yells out “Get on with it, already!”

Solution immediately lunges with her sword; I block the strike and counter with a light jab to the arm. Her sword fumbles, but she keeps her grip on it. She swipes at me, but I roll under the attempt, coming up with a jab to her stomach. She blocks my staff with her dagger and thrusts at my head.

I stumble back on my heels and the sword impales the deck before me. “Are you trying to kill me?” Solution smiles and pulls her sword from the wood.

I slowly get to my feet and push the button on my staff. Solution’s smile deepens as it elongates into a spear. I level it at her and she motions with her sword for me to make the first strike.

I lunge forward and Solution parries my strike away before delivering a jab with her dagger. I twist out of the way and trip over Solution’s outstretched foot. I land on my back and my weapon clatters away. Solution stands over me and points her sword at my throat.

“You cheated.” I say. Solution shrugs, then sheathes her weapons. She offers me her hand and helps me get up. I go over and pick up my weapon.

“That was a short match.” Solution points out.

“Agreed.” I say, “Hardly any fun.”

“Wanna go again?” Solution asks.

“No!” Ana yells out suddenly. She marches towards us and pulls out a dagger. “Now it’s my turn.”

Solution looks at me, waiting to see my response. I pat Ana on the head. “Are you sure that is the best option? You are still recovering from Darren’s painful training.”

Ana squirms under my hands, and starts to pout. “That was Darren being mean. This time I want to.”

I chuckle, removing my hand from her head. “If that is what you want, who am I to deny you?”

“Yay!” Ana says. She jumps back and gets into a fighting stance. Solution huffs and goes to stand beside Poseidon and Dionysus.

I lower my body into a stance similar to the one Ana is in. Both of us are small and strong, built for speed. Oh, I should probably shorten my weapon. I push the button and the spear returns to staff form. Ana flips the dagger around in her hand so the blade is facing backwards.

In much the same way Solution and I had, Ana and I stare at each other for a few moments until she jumps forward and swipes at me with her dagger, I dodge easily and twist around her, delivering a weak blow to her back. Ana is pushed forward a bit by the blow, but she turns quicker than I anticipated and swipes again.

I jump back and feel my chest. There is no wound, but there is a long cut in my shirt. Ana sees the cut and jumps up and down, cheering. I rush forward and whack her on the side. She makes a ‘gouf’ sound and falls to the ground, landing on her side. She rolls around and jumps to her feet.

Ana twirls the dagger again, bringing it the correct way around. She leaps forward, attempting to stab me repeatedly. I dodge each attempt, and noticee we are moving around in a wide circle.

“Looks more like they’re dancing than fighting.” I hear Solution say.

“Yeah, it’s almost cute.” Poseidon says. I risk looking over at them and watch Solution raise her hand to him. He cowers away, but then she sighs and drops her arm.

A stinging pain in my side returns my attention to the duel. I look down and see that Ana’s dagger has pierced me. It is a shallow cut, but deep enough to have drawn blood. I block Ana’s next strike by twirling the blade in her hands, forcing her to drop it. I jab her in the stomach a few times, but I do it lightly, almost playfully.

Ana takes a few steps back and chuckles, “Does this mean I lost?”

“Yes,” I say, “But you put up an impressive fight.”

I put my staff back into its holster and take a closer look at my side. It is bleeding profusely, apparently deeper than I had first thought. There is a throbbing sensation emanating from the wound; and with each throb a burst of dull pain. It is not a bad gash, but nevertheless I hold my side and fall to my knees.

“Oh, no!” Ana says, rushing forward. She gasps when she sees the wound.

“I told you it was an impressive fight.” I say.

“Oh, I’m so sorry.” Ana says. She rips off a small part of her shirt and begins to clean my wound with it.

“Ana, please,” I say, “It looks much worse than it feels.”

“You fell to the ground, Aether.” Solution says, suddenly standing above me.

“I feel fine.” I lie. At least, it is not really the truth. I do feel okay, only a bit woozy and the cut stings. Solution pulls out the ointment that Apollo gave us and tosses it to Ana.

“Here, put this on the cut.” She says. Ana does so and the pain instantly stops. She finishes cleaning the blood and looks up.

“Are you okay?” She asks.

I pat her on the head, reassuring her. “I am fine. I promise.”

“You know what I would love to see?” Dionysus says, startling me.

“What?” I say, recovering from his sudden appearance.

“These two in a fight.” He answers, gesturing to Ana and Solution.

“Oh, not in hell am I letting that happen.” I say.

The girls look at each other. “What do you say, girly?” Solution says, “Wanna fight me?”

“You bet!” Ana replies, getting to her feet.

Dionysus helps me to my feet, laughing. “This is gonna be a riot!” He pulls me toward Poseidon and the others, and we turn to watch the duel. Solution brings out her weapons, and her expression becomes a frightening scowl. Ana picks up her dagger, and lowers herself into her fighting stance. Her face dons the same frightening seriousness as Solution’s.

I cannot watch this. I cover my eyes with my hands, but unwillingly find myself peeking through my fingers.

The girls prepare to strike, when suddenly the boom of thunder nearly shatters my ears and a swirling vortex appears in the dark clouds high above. The tempest comes down and touches the ship, right where Solution and Ana are standing. They are both blown away, and land on their backs.

The vortex vanishes revealing, in gleaming black armor and a high quality black cloak, some man. He opens his eyes, and I see a dazzling emerald color within them. He looks around the ship, and watches the girls getting to their feet slowly. This cannot be Erebus, clearly a different man stands before me, and yet he wears the dark god’s armor, and those eyes are the same green as his.

He turns around, admiring the ship, and then he focuses his attention on me. He smiles widely, looking at me like I am an old friend.

“Greetings gods, mortals, and Chiron.” The man says. His voice matches his appearance, a pleasant but commanding sound.

“Who’s the hot guy?” I hear Kara whisper.

“’Hot?’” He repeats, “Oh you make me blush. For those of you who do not know, I am Erebus, the god of Darkness and ruler of this world.”

“Erebus?” Lance says, “Are you serious?”

He nods, “Aether, you may not recognize me. I wanted to let you know I have absorbed the power and form of Hades.”

“You…” Lance says, “You are the one who did all of this?” Erebus looks back at him and simply nods, “You b*****d!” He rushes forward, pulling a knife from the table.

We all try to stop him, but he is too fast. He tries to stab Erebus, who merely puts his hand forward, catching Lance’s arm. He lifts Lance into the air, grasping his bicep. Lance tries to kick him, but is being held too far away.

Erebus clucks his tongue, “Watch your tongue to your king. And please, Aether could not beat me, what hope do you have…mortal?” He says ‘mortal’ like it is an insult. At the last word he tosses Lance away. “Does anybody else wish to be a fool and take a shot?” Nobody moves, “No? Good, you are all smarter than I thought.”

He takes a few circling strides and looks around the ship, “This is a lovely vessel, Poseidon. Honestly, you have my respect. The choice of a dark wood accents the bronze railings and the colors of the sails perfectly. Truly a ship to be proud of.”

“What do you want, Erebus?” Poseidon says.

“Oh,” Erebus whines, “And I thought we were past the animosity. Your fellow Olympians sure are.”

Poseidon steps forward, “What have you done to them?”

Erebus chuckles, “Nothing really, well, you may not see Zeus the same if you ever see him again.”

“What did you do to Zeus?” Dionysus says.

“Such anger. Oh, that’s right.” Erebus says, “You are one of Zeus’ numerous little brats, aren’t you? Well, I didn’t absorb him, he is now somewhere between demigod and god. I expressed some mercy and for that you should thank me.”

“How dare you!” Dionysus yells, he rushes toward Erebus and rears back a fist. Erebus, arms behind his back, dodges the blow and trips Dionysus. He grabs Dionysus’ cloak, throwing it up over his head, and pushes him, making him fall back to the ground. He kicks Dionysus’ rear end, forcing him to stumble forward ungracefully.

Erebus laughs loudly, “Oh, what fun! Who is next? Please, somebody come forward, that was absolutely delightful!”

“What do you want, Erebus?” I demand.

“And finally he speaks!” Erebus replies, making a sweeping motion with his arm. “What I want, I suppose, is to inform you of my promotion.”

“Promotion?” I repeat.

“Yes, along with the mortal world, I am now the king of Olympus. On that note, you two are banished.” He gestures to Poseidon and Dionysus.

“You wanted nothing else…than to gloat?”

“What, you were expecting a fight? Theatrics; perhaps a cliché villain monologue? Alright, give me a moment.” He takes a deep breath, “Oh, you pitiful fools! Resisting me is futile, the world will soon be mine and there is not a thing you can do about it! I am on the verge of absorbing the Olympians; it is only a matter of time before I take the primordials as well. Our final showdown is imminent, Aether. And I assure you that you shall lose.” He lowers his head, then looks up at me, a playful smile on his young face. “How was that?”

He is mocking me. Two can play at this game, Erebus.

I take a deep breath, and then force out a boisterous laugh. The others look at me as though I have gone insane; good, that is what I want.

“That was pretty good, I admit.” I say, and Erebus’ smile wavers. “’Resistance is futile.’ Priceless!” I double over in my feigned laughter, “I will play along.” I put up my hands in mock fear, “No, please, spare us!” I continue to laugh and Erebus’ smile dims.

I stop laughing, but I retain an amused smile, “What is the matter? Are you upset that I am not cowering in fear?”

“What are you doing?” Erebus says, confused.

My smile becomes genuine and I walk up to Erebus, he is a few inches taller than me, but still I stand my ground before him.

“I no longer fear you.” I tell him. “It was a foolish move of yours to take my memories away. It taught me how to be human. Taught me how to love.”

“Is that what you think?” Erebus asks. “You think I took your memory? That I have no capacity for love?”

Now I am confused. I stumble for a response, but before I can think of one Erebus chuckles and backs away from me.

“Did somebody tell you that or did you come up with it on your own?”

“I…” I attempt something, but confusion holds my tongue still.

He starts to laugh. “What pitiful, fictitious reality have you created around yourself, Aether? Are you the hero of this story you’ve crafted? My daughter and the child of Apollo are your…what? Love interests? I said before but the mighty has fallen further than I previously thought.”

“You…” I start.

“Don’t begin.” He says, “Please do not even begin. I hope someday soon you will be reminded of the truth about us. Goodbye, brother.”

I snarl at him and lunge forward, but as I do he vanishes in a burst of black smoke.

 



© 2015 Xavier Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
Added on May 16, 2015
Last Updated on June 27, 2015


Author

Xavier Lee
Xavier Lee

Holbrook, AZ



About
I'm not sure how concise to make this so I'm gonna go with one-two word answers. Introvert, nerd, otaku (Fan of anime and manga), Dantean scholar, Greek Myth fanatic (that was three words). At the mom.. more..

Writing
First Fall First Fall

A Chapter by Xavier Lee


Know Thy Enemy Know Thy Enemy

A Chapter by Xavier Lee