The Truth

The Truth

A Chapter by Xavier Lee
"

Aether finds himself atop a mountain.

"

After a short flight I land on rough gravel. Tumbling over myself as small stones tear through my skin. Pure white light still blurs my vision, rendering my surroundings all but invisible. I bring my hands to my face and try to rub my sight back. I blink several times to finish the job but while my vision clears my confusion only grows.

 Large red rocks and trees surround me, and it is next to one of the boulders that I now lay, my wounded stomach beneath me and my arm covering the stone. I use it to pull myself up to my feet. Pain flares in my stomach and my other hand comes up to cradle it. I get to my feet and lean against the stone. Blood flows down my hand, and pain makes it difficult to breath.

I bring my eyes up to survey my surroundings and the sight is enough to make me forget even my pain. Spread out below me is a land of green forest and to the distance I see a wide expanse of sparkling blue water. In this place there are no clouds in the sky, revealing a blue dome above us. At the corner of the dome I see a yellow disk that glows painfully. I avert my eyes from it to protect them. What the disk is I do not know, but I feel warmth in this place emanating from it.

“Where are we?” Solution asks.

Her voice startles me out of my trance. I turn to her and see her leaning against the stone opposite my end, looking out at the incredible view. Her face is completely awestruck, and like a child she stares out with wonder at the beauty surrounding us.

She turns her head to me and repeats her question.

“I do not know.” I say. “But it is beautiful.”

“Yes,” She agrees, “It is. But that isn’t what we should focus on.”

“I know.” I nod my head, “What just happened?”

“You…” She begins. She sighs and looks me in the eye, “You killed Darren. For a second, he was gone. I know he was. He wasn’t breathing and had no pulse. But then he just stood up. He stood up as if nothing had happened.”

“While he was…dead,” I tell her, “I saw a shadowy figure above his corpse. She said that she was death.”

“A shadowy figure just appeared above him?” She asks.

“Yes, she was wrinkled and hunched over. She pointed at me and said ‘soon’. When Darren woke up, she vanished.”

“A spirit of death?”

“Evidently.”

“Even if that were true, why did only you see her?”

“Perhaps because of my former godhood, I still have a connection to the spiritual forces.”

“Makes sense.” She decides, shaking her head. “Weren’t you wounded?”

“Yes, Darren stabbed me with his bare hand.”

“How bad is it?” She asks.

I look down at the dark red flowing down to the ground beneath me. “I think...potentially fatal.”

She reaches into her bag and pulls out her med kit. From that she removes a sewing needle and a small bottle filled with a clear liquid.

“Pull up your shirt.” She instructs. I oblige and she pours the liquid onto a cloth which she then uses to clean my wound. Stinging pain flairs throughout the deep wound, and I involuntarily shudder.  

Solution speaks while she cleans the gash. “Why did he do this? Why does he hate us so much?”

“I think…when his eyes first started to turn black I sensed something. It almost felt like the feeling I got when I stood before Erebus, only weaker. I believe Darren has been corrupted by his time there.”

“If the Dark…if Erebus is our father,” She says, “Then it follows that you would sense him in us. He and I are demigods.”

“By all accounts you should be gods.” I point out.

“What?”

“If Erebus is your father…ah!” She applies another dose of the liquid and another painful shudder goes through me. “…and Athena is your mother, then you should be immortal. But you are not.”

“So what, he kept the godhood from us?”

“Possibly.” I try to gather my thoughts.

“What are you thinking?” She asks. She threads the needle and prepares to sew up my skin.

“I cannot be sure.” A bizarre pinching sensation follows the needle as it enters and goes through my skin. “I just have the feeling that I am missing something important. Something hidden in my lost memories.”

“I can’t help but feel that your connection to this is even closer than we realize.” She finishes sewing the wound and applies another dose of the liquid over the cut to sanitize it once more. Once finished dressing the wound, she pulls bandages out of the med kit and proceeds to wrap them around my waist.

“I only wish I could remember more about this.” I tell her.

She pauses with her wrapping and looks up into my eyes. “It goes without saying that you wish to remember your past, but don’t worry. I can’t pretend to know how, but soon we’ll figure this out.”

“Thank you for your optimism, Solution. I ask you to forgive my pessimism, but I feel the need to voice my worry for the Resistance.”

“Where does that come from?” She asks.

“Darren is clever, we both know that.” I say, “And now I could feel a cruelty radiating from him. He has the makings of a powerful leader, and now he hates us. I know that he will attempt, and likely be successful, in turning the Resistance against you and I.”

“Listen, Aether, I think that…” A snapping noise breaks my focus and I shush Solution. She hastily finishes tying the bandages and all but throws her supplies back into her bag.

I go for my staff, but then remember I dropped in the garage. I feel a moment of emotional pain due to a loss, but swallow it and pull out a knife as a twig breaks behind me. Painfully I lower myself into a fighting stance, adjusting the knife in my hand as I face it. Solution pulls out a knife of her own and stands ready as well.

“Who goes there?” I call out.

“Whoa.” A young sounding voice replies, “He was right, there are mortals out here.” From behind the tree a short boy with a pair of winged sandals steps forward. He has short blonde hair and bright blue eyes. He is clearly a runner; he has the frame for it. In his left hand he loosely carries a staff with two snakes intertwined around the top end. Sprouting from a ball at the top is a small pair of white feathered wings identical to the ones on his sandals, only shorter.

“Who are you?” I demand.

He seems about to respond, but then does a double take when he sees my face. A look of disbelief comes over him.

“No way.” He says, “You…you’re…” He jumps forward and stops at the end of my knife. He tries to get in closer, but I keep my weapon leveled at his throat.

“Who are you?” I demand again.

“You don’t know?” He asks.

“Should I?”

“Dude, come on!” He backs up and stands straight, “What the hell is wrong with you? It’s me, Hermes!”

“Hermes?” I repeat. The name sounds familiar, and yet I do not know him.

“The god of messengers, travelers, and thieves.” Solution says, “Correct?”

“God is a strong word, but yes.” He responds.

 “And you know me?” I ask him.

“Well yeah!” He exclaims, “We were like, best buddies before you left.”

“Left?” I repeat.

“Yeah, you left us. About four months ago. It’s been so boring without you.”

Four months? I have only been with the Resistance for two. So where was I for the other two?

“Where have you been?” Hermes asks.

“Irrelevant.” I say, “You know who I am. Which is more than I can say. So I demand you tell me more.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I know not how, but my memory has been taken from me.”

“Aether, come on.” He chides like I am joking, “You losing your memory? No being anywhere is powerful enough to take anything from you. Quit screwing around.”

“I am telling you the truth.” I insist.

“I know lying, and…you aren’t.” He says, “Holy s**t, you don’t have any idea about anything, do you?”

I nod my head in confirmation.

“Oh by Maia.” He says. “That’s bad, that’s really bad. You need to come to the palace right now.”

“Palace, for what?”

“To meet the other gods.” He answers. He grabs my hand and starts pulling me after him.

“Unhand me!” I yell.

“Quit your bitching and come on!”

A bright light flashes behind us, making me jump.

“If he wants you to let him go, then let him go.” A deep but smooth voice commands from the direction of the light.

I turn around to see who has appeared. He is a young looking, handsome man with long, silver hair and eyes that are startling white, with no pupils or irises (or perhaps they are just white). He also has a close-cropped beard, also silver. He appears to be around nineteen years of age. Adorning him is a strange set of armor with lightning designs over it. The breast-plate is covered by a large white sash that connects to what looks to be a battle kilt that flows down to his knees, open at the front. Oddly, he is also wearing a pair of white pants that look very similar to mine, only longer. Silver-armored boots cover his feet. The last thing I notice is the golden laurel wreath on his head, like a crown.

“Aether,” he greets me, “Long time no see.”

“Who are you?” I ask.

The man laughs loudly, “Very funny.”

“Father,” Hermes says, (Wait, father?) “Aether seems to have lost his memory.”

“Ridiculous!” the man bellows jovially.

“No, he really has.” Hermes insists.

“Are you serious?” He asks. Hermes only nods, and then steps forward and bows before the man.

“Behold Aether, the king of the gods. My lord and father, ruler of the sky, and commander of lightning, Zeus.”

“Zeus.” Solution repeats like she does not believe it.

He turns to her as if he did not know she was there. A grin spreads across his lips as he studies her. “And who might you be?”

“I am Solution, co-leader of the Resistance against the Dark God.”

“Stupid name for a group. Not really a name at all.” He comments, “Solution is unusually pleasant though. What brought you here?”

“I don’t know.” She answers. “But I think it was Aether.”

“Of course it was him.” Zeus responds. “Though now I’m more interested in you.”

Wait, what? “Zeus,” I say.

“What?” He looks at me as though I had interrupted something.

“Are you not curious about my former whereabouts?”

“Well sure, but…” He looks wistfully at Solution, “It’s been a long time since I’ve had the pleasure of observing a stunning beauty such as this.”

I take a step toward him, blocking Solution from his view. He looks at me again, now in disdain. I shake my head, warning him to stay away from her. He chuckles, “What, you have interest now?”

“Now is not the time.” I say. “No doubt you have noticed the state of this world. What do you intend to do about it?”

His look changes from disdain to hostile, “It was on your order that we didn’t fight back against Erebus. We were intending to await further instructions from you. But you disappeared.”

I did what?

“It’s true.” Hermes says, “You told us to wait while you got used to your physical body.”

“So what now?” I ask them.

“Dunno. You lead us to believe that you would know what to do.”

“If I did before, I now do not. If you are the king of the gods, then I will defer to you.”

“Great! Let’s go to the palace!” Zeus exclaims. Lightning strikes him from above and he vanishes.

“He does that a lot. He really likes to show off.” Hermes explains. “As for me, I run fast.” He turns around and to prove his point runs so quickly he fades away in a blur. He soon disappears from view completely. Unsure of what to do, I turn and again face away from the mountain.

“Hey, Aether?” Solution says.

“What is it?” I respond. She is facing the same way I am.

“What do you think about all of this?”

“That is the question.” I say. What do I think? I think that I am happy to be back here, it feels like I am coming home. We just met two gods. Beings that, for thousands of years, had been believed to be nothing more than stories. “I think that I will not know what to think until I see more.” Solution nods, and starts walking up the mountain.

“What do you think?” I ask after her.

“I think I’m going to have to let go of what I think I know about the world. And do my best to avoid freaking out.”

“I noticed that you seem to be taking all of this with extraordinary composure.”

She shrugs, “I’ve lived all my life believing that Erebus is an actual god. After seeing his power for myself, that belief became knowledge. Then you came and I saw the power of another god. It isn’t really asking a lot to accept that all of the gods exist as well.”

“Fair point.” I agree.

“Another thing.” She continues, “If Zeus so much as looks at me wrong again, I’ll cut his eyes out.”

Lightning again flashes in front of me and Zeus appears.

“What’s keeping you?” He asks.

“We had something to discuss.”

“Even so.”

“We are confined to walking the distance.”

“Whatever.” He says. He raises his hands and as before my vision goes white.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

When the stars leave his eyes, Darren gets back up to his feet. The first thing he sees is Aether’s staff. Picking it up, he wonders about what just happened. Obviously Aether teleported Solution and himself…somewhere. But where? Irrelevant, without them to stand in my way, this will be even easier. Darren thinks.

Sammy, Lucas, and Todd then burst through the door, weapons brandished. “Darren,” Lucas says, “get back in your chair, and we won’t hurt you.” Darren chuckles to himself.

 “Actually, Lucas I’m feeling much better now. Great, to be honest. I want you to call everyone to the Great Hall. Your leader has some new announcements for everyone.”

“Darren, where are Solution and Aether?” Sammy asks.

Darren stands and pats Sammy on the head, “Oh Sammy, sweet child, I’ll tell everyone what’s going on, you just get them all gathered. Okay?” Sammy looks up at Darren. He is a naïve child, easily swayed, Darren thinks to himself. But then Darren remembers that Lucas is here, but he looks confused. His eyes narrow the way they do when he is having difficulty. From the look on his face, whatever he wants, he is not getting it. Darren ponders this a moment, “Oh, you can’t read my mind, can you?” Lucas looks frightened. “Sorry Lucas, something Erebus did to me. ‘Fraid there’s nothing I can do about it.”

The three of them stand staring at Darren, which frustrates him.

“What are you gawking at?” He snaps at them. They show no signs of moving, which boils Darren’s blood. His eyes black out, and he yells “Get going!” the boys run off.

“It’ll be so much easier to lead them now.” Darren says to himself. “Prepare yourself, Aether, everyone you once called friend is about to turn on you.”

 

ɂɂɂ

 

The bright light passes and the first thing I see is a marble pillar. Hermes leans against it, evidently waiting for us.

“Welcome, friends!” He exclaims, “To the city of Olympus! Home of the gods!”

Solution and I turn in circles, looking out over a shining city of marble and gold.

“It’s beautiful.” Solution says, “Unbelievable.”

Hermes looks down for a moment, “Yeah well, you should have seen it before Erebus’ rise. Helios’ light would reflect off the bronze pathways and fountains to make beautiful rainbows. All the braziers burned with incense. And at night, we would have such parties! Any party on the mortal world suffers in comparison!”

Zeus looks out over the city as well, a mournful look on his face. “It was as close to heaven as any place on earth would ever get. But now it’s dark and empty. There used to be scores of people; more fun, more women.”

“Father.” Scolds Hermes. “Consider Lady Hera.”

“Yes, yes, I know.”

I find it difficult to believe that this place used to be more beautiful. Already the vision is breathtaking. All of it is gleaming bronze, gold, and silver. Fresh water streams cut through beautiful gardens from which wondrous scents waft towards us. If Erebus’ rule has not been good for this city, then before it must have been more stunning than mortal minds could comprehend.

Large spires and temples populate the landscape, rising up from the clouds that circulate at our feet like a perpetual fog. It is a slanting city, with all the roads and buildings falling below the palace we now stand before.

The palace sits atop a large hill, keeping it above the city. It is set apart even further by a large, winding staircase. Snakelike in its design. Turning to said palace, I find that appreciating it is an exceptionally easy task. With its twelve marble pillars holding up the roof at the front and the back portion resting on a normal building made of gleaming black marble, the cracks of which are filled with sparkling gold, it is a beacon of absolute sovereignty.

“Nice isn’t it?” Zeus says, to which I can only nod.

“Why black marble for the housing portion?” Solution asks.

“It’s a good contrast to the white of the rest of the city.” Zeus answers.

“Also it looks cool.” Hermes adds, going up to the door.

He pulls it open while bowing before Zeus, who enters swiftly. Solution and I look at each other and I gesture for her to enter first. She shakes her head and nudges me forward. Walking in I am immediately struck with a sight as magnificent as it is bizarre.

In the exact center of the room is a great hearth, in which burns a fire both brilliant and terrifying. On the edge of it, nearly touching the flames, I see a woman in a simple brown cloak that hides her face. I feel a sense of comfort when I see her, until the rest of the room steals my attention back.

At the vertex of a curved arc is an intricately carved throne of gold and silver, to which Zeus immediately goes. He makes a sweeping gesture with his arm as he sits upon it and crosses his right leg over his left.

On the throne to the left of him is a well-tanned man a couple years older than Zeus (early twenties, maybe) dressed similarly, but his pants and battle kilt are black and instead of armor he has on a simple blue shirt not unlike mine, but with short sleeves. Flowing down his back are seaweed green dreadlocks, and a thin beard the same color covers only his chin. In a holster beside his throne is a large golden trident with a commanding blue jewel inlaid below the blades.

Next in the order is a scarred young man with rippling muscles. He has a handsome albeit rugged face, with a short beard covering it. Leather bands are strapped around his arms and torso irregularly. A sort of apron is wrapped around his waist. Down to his knees are gold colored pants identical to the ones Zeus and I wear. From his knees to his feet are strange mechanical coverings, his left leg golden and his right silver. Lying at his feet is a smithing hammer.

Next to him is Ares, who grins at me. The throne next to him is empty and looks much like a smaller version of Zeus’. To the left of it sits Hermes and to his left I see Morpheus standing on the ground. He gives me a small wave, which I happily return.

To the right of Zeus is a pretty young woman with a crown atop her brown hair. A long dress decorated with peacock feathers flows down her tall, curvaceous frame. Next to her on a throne woven of vines is a pretty girl wearing clothes made of…grass? I do not even look at the throne of the girl next in line.

For a minute, she looks exactly like Ana, but then her features change, making her more and more beautiful. Her hair darkens in shade until I realize she has started to look like Solution. She winks at me and mouths something I do not understand. Looking at her for long periods of time would drive any man insane.

Next in line is a woman, the only woman here who looks like an adult, wearing full armor. An owl sits on her shoulder and stunning grey eyes pierce me through her helm.

“Athena.” I whisper to myself. I turn to Solution to see her reaction, but there is none.

Next to Athena is another empty throne, this one silver and more elegant looking than the one opposite it. Last in line is an arrogant-looking young man that I immediately decide to ignore.

“So,” Zeus says, “not what you were expecting, huh?”

I want to compliment them in some way, to show respect, but I guess honesty will work better here. “Admittedly, no. I was expecting something…more.”

“Like a grown man, with huge muscles and a long, flowing beard?” Zeus says, and I nod. “I admit I use to use to take that look. But in modern times, there’s no call for that. Besides, would you choose to look like an old man if you didn’t have to?”

“So you chose to look like this?” I ask

“Correct. We do have the ability to choose our appearance, so why not choose something good-looking?”

“Do I have the ability to change my appearance?” I ask, it would be kind of cool to be able to appear however I wanted.

“You would, you did. But without your full power, I’m afraid you will be as limited as…well, if you had ever had any demigod children, you’ve got all the power they would have.”

“Ah. So…oh yes…please explain to me again why you have not fought Erebus.”

Zeus sighs, “Two reasons: One, we’re no match for him. Two, you ordered us not to.”

“And why do you answer to me?” I ask.

“Because you precede us all.” He answers, “You are one of the first beings to come into existence. Before you became the lowly mortal you are now, you could’ve taken us all out without even trying.”

“Why would I refuse to fight?”

“I don’t know, Aether, You wouldn’t tell us. You wouldn’t tell any of us. We all tried to question you, but you threatened us. You even destroyed our beloved Ganymede for pestering you about it too much.”

Who was Ganymede? “I remember nothing. At all.”

“We know,” Zeus says, “Morpheus told us about that. We weren’t sure if it was true or not, but now we are.” Morpheus looks down and his face becomes only the mask, as if he is trying to hide. “Unfortunately, we don’t know of a way to get them back. Short of defeating Erebus of course. And as I said, that isn’t likely.”

“You are the Olympian gods!” Solution yells, making her presence known, “You defeated Typhon, Kronos, and countless other horrors! What is Erebus to you?”

“What is he to us? Think of us against him like an ant going against all of us. All of our combined might couldn’t dent him. He is not a mere god or monster, girl, he is a primordial force. Frankly, we can’t beat him. It isn’t that we aren’t powerful enough, we just, simply cannot. He’s eternal.”

“So what? You’re just going to sit here cowering while Erebus destroys, and absorbs you? Is that it?” Solution yells. Zeus’ already white eyes glow and lightning flashes within them.

“Our duty is not to protect the world.” Zeus explains, “Our duty is to command the forces we’ve been assigned to. Now we’ll fight Erebus if we must, but only if we must.”

“You hopeless coward.” I say.

“Watch yourself, Aether, you are no longer immortal, and you’re pissing off somebody who could destroy you without effort.”

An impulse comes over me. Zeus is pissing me off with his nonchalance. I raise one of my hands, and concentrate (on what, I am not sure). Suddenly, the light leaves Zeus’ eyes; his skin turns grey, his hair and clothes black. He doubles over, a look of intense pain on his face, as even the air around him darkens, and he falls out of his throne to the ground. The other gods and Solution watch in horror as I bring the king of the gods, literally, down to my level. I can feel Zeus’ power, and even his immortality slipping away. I almost make him mortal, but then I find myself, so I let go, and the color returns to him.

He stands slowly, still looking in pain, then grows angry, his eyes glow even brighter, and he screams “You son of a b***h!” and leaps at me with lightning in one of his hands. I sidestep, and Zeus somehow turns in the air, jumping even faster at me. I raise my hands and actually catch the lightning. I hold it and use it to push Zeus down to the ground.

Confidence fills me, so I say; “Now you just lay there and think about what you have done.” He glares up at me, and then relents, eyes losing their glow.

He stands and glares at me, “Perhaps you haven’t lost everything. But you’d do well to remember who the king here is.” He turns in a huff and returns to his throne, sitting upon it like a scorned child.

The queen of the palace turns to him and whispers something in his ear. He sighs, and the anger seems to flow out of him.

“Hera has advised that I take into consideration your lack of knowledge. I will do so, but I ask that you refrain from disrespecting me again.”

“I would not dream of that, Zeus.”

“Call me ‘Lord Zeus’. I am still king here.”

“My apologies, Lord Zeus.”

“Don’t get cocky. The only reason I haven’t destroyed you yet…”

“Is because you cannot.” I interrupt.

“…is because we need you. Insolent as you have become.”

“I would apologize, Lord Zeus, but my ‘insolence’ is brought on by your arrogance.” The gods all gasp, and look to Zeus, who again looks furious. I may regret that.

“You’ve pushed your luck.” Zeus stands and hurls a lightning bolt at me. The next thing I know, I am on my back, dazed but alive. I look up and see that my shirt is nearly gone, and the tatters that remain are charred. However, my skin has only a slight pinkness and a developing bruise from the blast. The gods and Solution are looking at me in awe. Except for Zeus and Hera, who both look as though they want me ripped to shreds.

“Aether, you will leave my presence, at once.” Zeus says, “I will have you called for when I can handle to look at you again. Hermes will keep an eye on you until then. Now get the f**k out of my face!”

 

ɂɂɂ

 

“That was foolish.” I say, feeling my bruised belly.

“Think so?” Hermes responds.

He leads Solution and I to a gazebo under the staircase leading up to the palace. A fountain sits in the center of it, creating a mist that cools the area. Hermes sits on the edge of the fountain, and falls down on his back, draping his arm over his eyes.

“He said he could forgive my lack of knowledge.” I say.

“That wasn’t a display of a lack of knowledge.” Hermes says, “That was just rude.”

“Probably.” I agree.

“What now?” Solution asks.

“Now we wait for Zeus to calm down.”

“How long will that take?”

“Judging from past experience…about an hour.”

“How much of a child is he?” I say as I lean against the fountain opposite Hermes, who sits up as soon as I speak.

“Dude, watch it!” He looks above us toward the palace, and then shakes his head, “He’s the god of the skies and the air! He can hear if anyone says something bad about him. If you don’t watch your mouth, he’ll blast you to pieces!”

“Because that worked so well before.”

“How did you do that?” Hermes asks. “He struck you with lightning and you healed instantly. We can barely manage that.”

“Perhaps because I am…or was the god of light. Lightning is a form of pure light, so I am probably immune to it. But I lost everything that made me a god, weapons can wound me and leave scars, so why could lightning not?”

“Well, not everything, a mortal couldn’t do what you did to Zeus. In fact, no one but a primordial could do that to him. It was kinda scary to be honest.”

“I frightened myself as well.”

“Hey,” Ares calls out from the stairs. “Zeus calmed down and wants you back in there.”

“That was unusually quick.” Hermes says. “Alright, before we go back in there, there are some things you should know.”

“Such as?”

“Well, in case you didn’t notice, my father is very proud. You probably really pissed him off, so he’s not going to be particularly lenient with you. Also, don’t speak unless you’re spoken to. You may be a primordial entity, but Zeus is the king here, show him respect.”

“I think I can handle that.”

“A few minutes ago would suggest otherwise, don’t you think?” Solution says.

“That was different,” I insist, “he was being arrogant and obnoxious.”

“That’s how he always is!” Hermes says, “You’d better get used to it.”

“Wonderful.”

 

ɂɂɂ

 

The entire Resistance is gathered in the Great Hall, as Darren ordered. “Good day, my friends!” He begins, “Now, I know that you have all been worried about me, and that is sweet, but I assure you I am fine. Though my now grotesque appearance would suggest otherwise. I did endure horrible pain at the hands of Erebus, but I promise you I am now only more driven to fight him. I hope you have enjoyed your reprieve, because now, you are all warriors! We all begin the new training regimen tomorrow!”

The people look unsure. “New training?” One of them shouts out.

“A more rigorous and group centered training that will increase our combined might.” He answers, “No more stepping to the sidelines and leaving the training to others!”

Many yell out about that being unfair.

“Unfair?” Darren repeats, “Unfair? You think you know what unfair is? ’m not even sorry, we are going to need everyone if we are going to defeat our enemies. We are what’s left of the human race, and damn it, we are not going to be the last of it! We will destroy Erebus. And when we finish him, we will face the gods of Olympus themselves! We’ll take them all down, and then we will rule this world!”

“The gods aren’t real!” Someone yells.

“Oh, yes they are,” Darren yells back, “We’ve all met two of them.”

The people do not respond to this. “I’m going to have to try another tactic,” Darren mutters to himself, “Aether probably told you about his former godhood. That much was true. Aether is the deity of light. But he is no guardian angel. He is cruel, and went along with Erebus’ plan to destroy the human race. In fact, Aether is the one who launched the numerous strikes on humanity! Just a few moments ago he attacked me and disappeared with Solution in his arms!”

“What?” One person says.

“No way!” Shouts another.

“That can’t be Aether!” Screams yet another.

“Silence!” Darren screams. His eyes turn black for only a moment, fading back to green before anyone can even realize the change.. “I know it is hard for you to grasp, but Aether has lied to all of us! He is not the man you think he is! He and Erebus did not even fight! Aether is far more powerful and devious then he let on! I can’t even be sure that he truly had amnesia! And what’s more, he corrupted Solution! You all know how she was before he got here, she has changed completely, and all by his doing! Help me defeat them, for the sake of our world, our beloved Solution, and most of all, to get back at those horrible false gods!

“As I’m sure Aether has made you aware, many of you are children of the gods. We can learn to harness our power. Don’t lie to yourselves. I know you can feel it within you. We have abilities that before were only stories and fantasies.”

“That’s insane!” Someone says.

“Zayin!” He yells in response, “He is immune to fire. Lucas can read minds, Sammy has an almost superhuman ability to heal people. Amid so many of us, we can do things that should be impossible. Haven’t you seen it?”

Sammy’s naiveté is the first to crack. He comes forward slowly, with the silver gauntlet cradled in his arms. Darren gives the child his arm. Tentatively, Sammy slides the gauntlet onto it. Darren raises his armoured fist toward the Resistance before him. “Together, with training, we can become powerful enough to overthrow the gods themselves!”

The people can feel truth radiating from their leader, energy stirs within them, creating and then increasing their excitement. Darren’s lies have seeped through them. Unbeknownst to him, Erebus gave Darren the ability to flood his power into people. The Resistance has been corrupted.

“Come with me now!” Darren screams, “And we will destroy the gods, and claim this world for ourselves!”

The Great Hall shakes from the cheering.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

Zeus sits with his head in his hand, the other gods have left, save for Hera.

“Zeus.” I say, “I would like to apologize for what I did before.”

“Whatever.” He sits up straight and levels me with his gaze. “For now, I would like you to go about Olympus at your leisure for the purpose of us gauging what’s become of you. Do whatever you like, but know that we’ll be watching. If you are indeed a mortal, we would like to see how much power you have left.”

“For now I would like to sleep.” I tell him.

Zeus nods, “Hermes, take him to his quarters.

“What of Solution?” Hermes asks.

“She can go with him if she likes, I really don’t care anymore.”

“Thank you, Zeus.” I say. “Lord Zeus.” Hermes, Solution, and I all do an awkward bow before exiting the palace again.

“So…your quarters then.” Hermes says.

“I am exhausted.” I respond.

“Alright, sure.”

He leads Solution and I through the city to a large building with a gleaming silver gate leading into it. Through the gate Solution and I find ourselves in a large chamber. It is a lovely room, like the rest of the city it is all white and bronze. Celestial bronze, Hermes tells me it is called. Braziers burn with incense, filling the air with the smells of heaven. The bed is enormous, ridiculously so. Big enough to fit six people end to end.

Upon entering the room, Solution goes straight for the bed and lies down as if to sleep. After all I have seen today I feel a need to splash cold water on my face.

“Bathroom’s in there.” Hermes says, pointing to a door in the side of the chamber. He hands me a new shirt before turning and leaving. I slip on the fabric, identical to what I had before. I go into it and first see a large bronze sink.

“This place has modern appliances.” I notice aloud, “No, these are better than modern.”

I turn on the water in the sink and splash my face a few times. My throat feels scratchy so I pool the water in my hands and drink. The taste is unbelievable, cooler and clearer than any water I drank at the Fox-Hole. Satiated, I turn and see a large bathtub. It is incredible, far more than the cheap porcelain the Fox-Hole had to offer. It only makes sense that the home of the gods would be better than a hole in the ground occupied by ruggards.

I go out of the room and see that Solution has removed her armor pieces and boots and is lying on the large bed; eyes closed and face at peace. I remove my armor and boots as well and sit on a leather chair I find near the bed.

Solution opens her eyes, sees me on the chair, and gives me a look that says “don’t be stupid, this bed is huge, get in.”

So Solution and I are in bed together. Though we sit quite a ways apart.

“I don’t know what to think of this place.” Solution says.

“Nor do I.” I respond.

“The gods being young was kind of disconcerting.” She continues, as if I had not spoken. “I always imagined them as respectable adults.”

“I suppose it makes sense for them not to be. If I could change my form, I am not so sure I would make myself a grown man when I can enjoy a youthful body forever.”

“What about respect?”

“I feel that they do not care about that as much as they let on.”

“Zeus did.”

“I am not so sure. I think Zeus is an immature child who throws temper tantrums.”

“Be that as it may, he still wanted you to respect who he is. Or rather, what he is.”

“He shoved his status in my face to make me uncomfortable.”

“I wonder what you did to make Zeus hate you so much.”

“Well, taking away all of his power probably did not make him eager to be my friend.” I say.

Solution gives her ‘shut up, stupid’ look, and I oblige. “Even the gods, despite the anti-human air they pretend to give off, it was no harder to read them than anyone else I’ve met. Whatever Zeus’ problem is with you, it clearly stems from something that happened a long time ago.”

“Was Zeus so easy to read?” I ask. “I could barely tell what the look on his face was, let alone what he was thinking.”

“Typical guy.” She says, exasperated. “How’s your wound?”

I had forgotten about it. With what had happened it had left my mind. I lift my shirt up and tentatively touch where Darren had injured me. When I touch the wound through the bandage a shudder goes through me.

“Painful.” I tell her.

“Let me see.” She says. She moves closer to me and carefully she removes the bandages. One of the stitches seems to have popped, and blood has coagulated around it, preventing more blood loss but creating a disgusting mess.

“Damn it.” Solution says. She pulls up her bag and again brings out the med kit. She pulls out the liquid she had used to clean it before and again pours it over the wound. As before the liquid stings as it washes away the blood.

Solution carefully cuts away the broken string with her knife and removes it from the wound. Strangely, no more blood flows when the stitch is removed.

“The hell?” She says. She makes quick but careful work of removing the rest of the stitches. It is an odd sensation, and one I hope I do not have to repeat. When she finishes her work she cleans out the wound again. Still no blood flows, and the pain is quickly fading.

“What the hell?” Solution repeats. “It’s been less than an hour and already you’re practically healed.” I look down at the wound and as I watch, it heals completely, becoming a scar the length of my middle finger.

Solution looks shocked, as do I. “I…I had healed quickly before.”

“But this is ridiculous. This is inhuman.” She falls back, resting on her knees. “I guess this is just more proof that you were a god.”

“So it would seem.”

“Still,” She continues, “That Darren would do this to you. He was actually trying to kill you.”

Her face changes, softening. I have rarely seen this happen, she has lost her bravado. Before it could only happen in front of Sammy and Darren. So I take this as proof that she at the very least trusts me now.

“What is it Solution?” I ask. She regains her usual angry look, but it melts after a short moment.

“What’s going to happen now?” she says worriedly.

“I cannot pretend to know.” I answer, “What I do know is that the gods are going to help us.”

“But how helpful are they going to be?”

“If they truly were doing nothing this whole time, than I assume that means things are about to get easier for us.” I say.

“Will the Resistance be okay?” She asks. Though I am unsure, I nod in answer.

Solution falls back down to the bed, and then curls up into a ball. I have never seen her like this; so vulnerable and upset. Admittedly I find it a bit cute. However, it is also disconcerting because it is not like her. I am about to say something when I notice that she is sniffling. Solution is about to cry again, this is so wrong!

“That beast, that monster, he’s my father.” She says quietly. “And Darren, what’s going to become of the Resistance now? I was thinking about what you said before Hermes showed up, and you’re right. Darren is going to turn everyone we love against us.”

“I do not pretend to know what will happen, Solution.” I tell her. “But I promise you it will all turn out okay. I will make sure of it.”

Solution gets up and looks at me gratefully. “You seem so sure.”

“Call it hope.” A smile brightens her face. I want to lean forward and kiss her, but something stops me.

She lies back down and turns away from me. In a few moments her breathing changes and I know she is sleeping. I lay down as well and the events of the day run through my mind. With nothing else to do, sleep comes over me.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

 Ana sits on her bed, cradling her pillow in her arms. How could Aether say something like that? Why would he attack Darren?

“Why would he attack Darren?” Ana wonders aloud. He wouldn’t have, she decides. Her head starts to hurt. But Darren looked like he had been injured; no way he did it to himself.

Where did you go, Aether? Ana wonders, tears forming in her eyes. A knock at the door startles her. Lucas opens the door and pokes his head in.

She glares at the intruder and looks away from him.

“Darren wanted to talk to a couple of us.” Lucas tells her, his voice a whisper. “You’re to go to the Bakery.”

Lucas turns and leaves the room.

“Now what?” Ana asks. She sighs and drops her pillow beside her. Standing, she tries to imagine what happened to Darren. The thought is unpleasant, so she pushes it out of her mind and heads out of the room.

 

ɂɂɂ

 

I awake slowly from a dreamless sleep and bring my hand to my head. My white hair falls in my face and I brush it back as I yawn. Next to me I find Solution still curled up in the position she had been before. How long have I slept?

Solution mutters something quietly before bolting upward. Her quick motion startles me into jumping backward, and I lose my grip and fall roughly to the floor with a small yelp escaping me.

“What happened?” She asks from above, “Where am I?”

“Ow.” I mutter. My leg remains on the bed and I realize that sleep had been a bad idea. My throat is rough and my head is foggy. From my place on the floor I gain a new view under the bed. It is nothing but dust, though.

Slowly I crawl to my feet, using the bed to help. I look around, and wonder where I am. Not caring, I search the gleaming floor to find my staff, but cannot spot it. Has Darren taken it again?

No wait, the last few hours rush back to me and I shake my head at their arrival. I am jolted awake by the realization that my staff is gone, as is my home. A tear escapes my eye, and seeing Solution I am reminded that I took her from her home as well.

“Solution.” I say, “I am so sorry for this.”

“For what?”

“We are not in the Fox-Hole.” I remind her, “I have taken you from your home and your people. To somewhere I do not even know.”

She crawls to the end of the bed and dangles her bare feet over the side, settling next to where I stand.

“I don’t do regret.” She responds, “I’ll miss them until I see them again, but I don’t think this is goodbye for me. For now, I’ll go with whatever happens as I always have…violently.”

I smile at her warmly. “I am happy you are not angry at me.”

“I couldn’t be angry at you for this.” She says, “It wasn’t your fault. Besides, I’m glad to have someone I know here with me.”

Butterflies fly around my stomach, and pure joy flows through me.

“Hey guys, I got a message!” Hermes calls out from the gate, startling me. Damn it!

My smile fades as I go to answer him. “What is it, Hermes?” I say. Oops, that came out as a growl.

“Ooh,” Hermes replies, smiling. “Did I ruin a moment?”

“No,” Solution says, crushing my spirits. “What’s going on?”

“Were you guys asleep?” He asks.

“Yes.” I answer, “And on that note, how long has it been?”

“Uh,” Hermes looks up to the ceiling, “Well into the night. It’s pretty early morning now.”

“We have slept so long?” I ask, looking back to Solution, who shrugs.

“Anyway,” Hermes continues, “Aphrodite wants to talk to you.”

“Just me?” I ask.

“The love goddess?” Solution asks.

“Well, yeah, she said it’s urgent.” Perfect, all I needed was a love goddess.

I mumble a goodbye to Solution and she lies back down, seemingly to sleep.

“You realize I was just about to kiss Solution?” I whisper to Hermes as we leave.

“Yeah, and that would’ve been dumb.”

“Why?”

“Not the right time.” He answers, “Trust me, I can tell.”

“So she does not…uh.” I fumble for the words

“Think again,” Hermes seems to grasp my meaning without my saying it. “She’s blushing a little, and she looks confused. I know the look she’s wearing; it’s desire.”

“Desire, really?” I say, perhaps a little too loudly.

“I’ve lived for over five thousand years; I know a little something about women, okay?”

“What does Aphrodite want?” I change the subject.

“Hell if I know, I’m just the messenger. Hey, it’s been a while since I’ve been able to say that! Thank you, Aether. I feel like things are about to get fun for me again.”

“Are you sure that you have no idea what she might want?” I ask.

“She’s the goddess of love, and if memory serves, she’s got a bit of a thing for you.”

“Oh damn.” I say.

“Yeah, this is gonna be delightful!” He says excitedly.

“Hold on, I thought she was married to…nevermind .” The idea fades as soon as it arrives.

“No, you’re right. She’s Hephaestus’ wife. And she’s dating Ares, and undoubtedly any number of mortals. She and I even got together once.

“You did? With her?” I ask.

“Yeah, but I’d rather not talk about it, it brought about a child I’m not particularly proud of.”

“Alright, fair enough. I am not happy about this.” I complain.

Hermes chuckles, “Not surprising, we’re basically on our way to see the queen of all w****s.”

For some reason I think of Maria when he says that. “Solution will not be happy about this, will she?”

“Not even a little bit. I’d watch my back if I were you.”



© 2015 Xavier Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi,
The opening paragraph is very strong. Good visual, good tactile stimulation. Example:". . stones tear through my skin."
There are a few techniques you can use to make the dialogue and the action within the dialogue smoother. These may seem like little things but it is the little things that solidify a story. Example: "I turn to her and see her leaning against the stone opposite my end, looking out at the incredible view."
Turn - is an overused verb so much so it has become passive. Try rewriting this sentence without it or find a stronger.
"She turns her head to me and repeats her question". Same here.
My overall impression of the story remains you have good characters. I would recommend using a little more indirect characterization to develop them or round them out. If I didn't say it before I want to state this now. You have an intriguing concept: Conflict between the primordial forces and the old gods. This is a rich, colorful and deep idea but it cannot be developed or reach it's potential within a general battle between "good vs evil" or likeable character vs unlikeable. Hang out with this concept. It is far deeper than good and evil.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nonnye

9 Years Ago

There is nothing wrong with "turn" but it is passive - approaching passive voice. It doesn't lend a.. read more
Xavier Lee

9 Years Ago

I like that. Thank you.
Nonnye

9 Years Ago

Very welcome. Best wishes.
Great story to read, excellent job my friend! Those speeches are great and your description towards your surrounding give me a clear idea where your character was, and how he sees the surrounding. Although i didn't read from the first chapter but can still get a sense of what is happening here. Keep up the good writing buddy!

BRx

Posted 9 Years Ago


Xavier Lee

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. But...you didn't read from chapter 1? You've missed a lot. This is chapter.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on April 10, 2015


Author

Xavier Lee
Xavier Lee

Holbrook, AZ



About
I'm not sure how concise to make this so I'm gonna go with one-two word answers. Introvert, nerd, otaku (Fan of anime and manga), Dantean scholar, Greek Myth fanatic (that was three words). At the mom.. more..

Writing
First Fall First Fall

A Chapter by Xavier Lee


Know Thy Enemy Know Thy Enemy

A Chapter by Xavier Lee