The Rodeo

The Rodeo

A Story by Grey
"

A short love tragedy written by myself quite a few years back as a NANOWRIMO (National Novel Writing Month). Please keep in mind I was quite a few years younger and uneducated when this was written.

"

*Tuesday Where She Works*

"Kyle I'm leaving. Don't forget to lock up please?" I hollered as I walked out the front door of the fast food franchise, where I've been working for the past 3 years. I work there so that I can put myself through college. I've actually got a decent amount of money saved up with my salary and my Bronc Ride winnings. If I keep Riding and working, I'll be able to afford an entire year of Radiological Tech classes.

I hopped into the Cab of my Chevy S-10 started the engine, and plugged in my phone; turning it on. I absolutely love this truck! Made in 1982 and still working in 2014 it's a great model of truck. My phone went off abruptly, interrupting my train of thought. "Hello?" I answered. 

"Is this Lisbeth Siren?" The person on the other end of the phone asked. 

"Um. Yeah. Who's this?" I pondered freaking out a little bit internally. 

"Dimitri Boulevarde. From high school. Remember? High School sweethearts? best smile? class clown?" Oh. I thought. Dimitri. How'd he get my number? 

"Dimitri... Hi... How are you? It's been forever... Wow. How'd you find me?" Seriously how did he find me!? 

"I'm visiting friends from high school, and when I talked to Tracy she said you'd moved to Montana; to Bronc Ride. So I called around and got your number, from a buddy who rides with ya, Kyle Manners?"Oh. I'm gonna kill him. I thought. Best friends don't give out best friends numbers without asking. 

"Oh. Yeah I know him. He's my boss at the fast food joint where I work. He's pretty cool. He was the first person I met here in Montana. How do you know him?" I asked.

Dimitri replied. "I rode against him back in highschool for my Montana ride. Remember that'n? He was really good." ...Montana ride? oh yeah... 

"Yeah. He's still pretty good. Can't beat me though." I bragged confidently. 

"Yeah. Well anyways I was wondering if you wanted to get together for coffee or something sometime I'm in Montana for a the next few days, and just yah I thought maybe you'd want to get together and talk." Wow. Sadly though not this week. 

"Oh, I'm sorry I kinda can't this week. I've got a ride in Florida friday and I'm working Tomorrow, and wednesday, then flying down thursday. I'm sorry." I actually did have a ride but not in Florida it's in the town over. 

"Oh. Okay. Well are you coming back to visit Daisy anytime soon?" Um. 

"Um. Maybe. I don't know. I guess I should. Hmm. Interesting." Maybe. 

"Ya still don't plan ahead do ya Lisbeth." No, No I don't. 

"Um. No. When will you be back in Montana next?" Maybe he'll let me ride back to Daisy with him and I can call up all the old friends. 

"Um. It'll be about another week for I'm back." Hmm. 

"Well maybe when you come back I can ride down to Daisy with ya. Hmm?" I asked? 

"Yeah. That actually sounds like a great plan we can throw a party when we get down there and invite some friends we haven't seen in awhile." My thoughts exactly. 

"Okay." I said. "Sounds great. I have to go though I'll call you later and we can discuss the details." Wow. "Okay. Sounds awesome. Bye" He said before I hung up the phone and backed out of the parking lot.

*Friday Evening At The Rodeo*

"Lisbeth Siren, The famous female Champion Bronc Rider." I heard the announcer say before I nodded to Josie to open the chute, and let Old Granny out. 

"Yeeeee Ha. Spur em and Ride Lisbeth. Spur em and ride." I heard Kyle shouting from the chutes. He's not riding tonight. He had an incident at his last rodeo, broke his leg trying to get off the Bronc. It ran him against the fence. It's name was Carolinas Finest. I've rode her before, really hard to stay on loves to throw her weight around like it's nothing. Does some crazy twists and turns. I heard the buzzer signaling my 8 seconds on Old Granny were over, and the gate opened to let the riders in to get me and the horse out of the arena. 

"Yee Haw! A score of 48 from the judges. Way to go Ms. Siren." The announcer said just as I was hoppin onto the back of whoever's horse. 

"Thanks" I said to the guy giving me a ride back to my trailer. 

"Not a problem Lisbeth, just don't lie to me and tell me your rides in Florida next time alright?" Dimitri said. 

"Oh." I said. "I'm sorry. I just...I don't know I guess I just don't want to go back yet. Cause ya know...my parents still ain't back." I said. 

"Oh. Yeah. I forgot, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have even asked." He said. Helping me off his horse and into my trailer so I got get Bronco my barrel racing horse out. 

"No. It's fine. I've got to go back to take care of the Cabin and fix my truck." I said. Leading Bronco out of the trailer. 

"I'm headed back tomorrow if ya want to come with me." He said giving me that sad look people give you when they don't know what to say to you. 

"Ya know what? Sure. Let's do it. I'll go home and pack as soon as my race is over. You can pick me up in the mornin is that alright?" I asked. 

"Sounds great to me, but are ya sure Lisbeth? I know it'd be real emotional for ya and all. I just...um yeah." He said awkwardly. 

"I'll be fine sweetheart don't worry." I said. "Oh, and thanks for the help." I added giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. I quickly glanced at his stunned face before hopping into my saddle and riding to the gate.

*The Next Morning*

"Ello love." I said to Dimitri when he met me at my door to help me with my luggage. 

"Hello sweetness." He said laughing at me. 

"Sweetness. That's seriously the only comeback you could think of ya big ole loser." I teased. 

"Mmm. Well i did my best." He said sweeping me up off my feet and holding me bridal style. 

"Hey, put me down." I said as he started toward the truck. "I've got to get my luggage." I whined. 

"I'll grab it." He said. "You just buckle up." He added. 

"Thank you. Your the bestest sweetest guy ever." I said. 

"Still the little kid ya always where." He laughed. 

"What was that?" I asked pretending that I hadn't heard what he'd said. 

"Nothing." He said innocently. 

"MmmHmmm." I replied laughing.

*About 4 hours away from Oklahoma*

"I'm so tired Bull." I whined. 

"Oh no I don't care if you're tired you are not calling me Bull. That nickname got old a long time ago." Dimitri said turning to glance at me. 

"Aww, why not?" I asked "It's such a cute nickname. I love that nickname." I said. Fake pouting. 

"Fine, but I get to call you LizBug like I used to alright?" He asked. 

"Yay! Alright bull." I said excitedly. 

"Hey, I got a question for ya. Whatever happened to us?" He asked. 

"Um...I think I got tired of living here and told you I was leaving you." I said awkwardly. 

"Oh. Yeah." He said. "Now I remember." He finished. 

"Yeah...So um how's your family?" I asked him. 

"Their good, I think." He laughed. "I uh...I actually haven't seen them in a while." He paused. "Do you uh...Do you want to go visit them? We could uh we could stay with them at their place...or if you wanted to stay at y'alls cabin we could do that. It's entirely up to you." He finished scratching his head. 

"How about we visit your parents and stay there the first day, then the second day we throw a party out at the cabin and then just stay the night there?" I asked. 

"Sounds great." He answered smiling. 

"Alrighty then." I laughed. 

"I missed you." He said glancing at me quickly then shifting his eyes back to the road. 

"I missed you to Bull." I said sadly. I honestly thought I'd never see him again and I guess I was kind of okay with that. Because I knew that the minute I did see him my feelings for him would come rushing back. I was right too they did come rushing back. 

"Hey, whatcha thinkin bout?" He asked knocking me out of my thoughts. 

"Oh. Nothin much, just the way things used to be ya know?" He nodded. "We were so happy all those years ago. High school was so much fun, gah all the pranks and teasing. I kinda miss it, Do you?" I asked. 

"Naw. Not really." He said. "The only thing I miss about high school would be us. We were together from freshman year until two and half months after senior year." I nodded. "I miss us Lisbeth, I miss those long nights in the cabin where we'd just sit in front of the fire talk, laugh and drink hot chocolate with your family. Those nights were so much fun. I miss our date nights. Heck half the time we didn't even actually go out we just stayed at one or the others house and talked. I still love you Lisbug." By the time he had finished talking I was silently crying. "Lisbug?" He asked pulling the truck to the side of the rode. "Lisbug." He said again, opening his door and getting out to come over to my side. 

"I'm fine." I answered through tears. He walked over to my side of the truck. 

"What's wrong love?" He asked enveloping me in a hug. 

"I still love you too." I said crying harder now. 

"Whats so wrong about that?" He asked confused. 

"I don't know." I replied. 'I guess I just...I just I'm not I can't stay in Oklahoma. I'm only down here right now to fix my truck and make sure the cabin's alright. I didn't come down here to fall in love with you again." I finished breaking down into sobs. 

"Hey, Lisbug it's alright." He patted my back." It's alright theres nothing to worry about. Heck if you decide you want to take the chance and be with me we'll move to Montana." He smiled at me. It wasn't a normal smile though it was that stupid, ridiculously goofy smile that he used to give me in high school. 

"Oh. Bull." I said laughing. "You always did have a way with me, and any other girl for that matter." I finished wiping the tears from my eyes. He smiled a normal smile at me and slowly shut my door and walked around to his side of the truck. He got in a pulled back onto the highway glancing at me every two seconds or so. 

"So what about us?" He asked. "How about we give us another try?" I said smiling slightly. 

"Thank you. I won't let ya down LisBeth." he smiled at me brightly. "I'm not worried about you letting me down. I'm worried that I'm going to let you down." I frowned turning to look at him as he drove onward towards Oklahoma. 

"There's no way that you could ever let me down Lizbug. Not now not ever." He said. "You should get some sleep while I drive. You look really tired." He added. 

"Actually" I said. "I'm not tired, but I do know you're tired and if you want to we could switch seats. You could sleep, and I could drive." I suggested. 

"No." He said adamantly. "You've always been a crazy driver, and I'd like to keep this truck." He laughed. 

"Fine." I said laughing. He knew me so well. I really was an insane driver its actually pretty fun to go driving around with me, scary, but fun. I thought drifting slowly to sleep.

*At His Parents House*

"Dimitri, where are we?" I said shaking him awake. 

"Hmm? What?" He asked groggily. "Where are we?' I asked again. 

"Oh. Yeah. My parents remodeled." He said rubbing his eyes. 

"Is this your old room?" I asked laughing. The room we're in is completely covered in pink. Pink walls, pink bedspread, pink dresser, pink everything. 

"Yeah." He answered. "Their working on adopting a little baby girl." He added rolling over onto his side. 

"Oh." I said hiding from him under the blanket. "

Hey." He said pulling the blanket away from me. 

"What?" I asked feigning innocence. 

"Don't hide from me." He said. 

"But you're scary." I said like a baby. "

Rawr!" He laughed. 

"Ah!" I screamed throwing my arms up in mock terror. 

"Shhh." He said trying not to laugh. "You'll wake my parents." I shook my head no. 

"Their already awake." I said. 

"How do you know?" He said raising his eyebrows up at me. 

"I heard them." I answered. "Their cooking breakfast. Bacon and eggs." I finished just as he jumped out of bed. "Still love bacon and eggs. I see. " I teased. 

"Come on, come on. Before they finish all the food." He said swinging the door open. 

"Oh my, Bull." I laughed at him as he ran down the hallway in sweats and socks towards the kitchen. "

No running Dimitri." His mother Angelina said as we walked through the door adjoining the hallway and the kitchen. 

"Liz." She said smiling and enveloping me in a warm hug. 

"Hi Mrs. Boulevarde. I think I may have missed you more than I missed Bull." I said laughing and smiling at her. 

"Hey!" Dimitri shouted through the food he was shoveling into his mouth. 

"Don't talk with your mouth full child, and Liz please call me Angelina you know I've always hated being called Mrs. Boulevarde." She said. 

"Allright." I said sitting down at the table and filling a plate full of bacon and eggs. 

"How have you been lately?" Mr. Boulevarde asked. I could never ever remember his first name. 

"I've been alright. I've got a job at one of the fast food joints in Helena. That on top of my Bronc Ride winnings should soon be enough to put me through my first year of Radio Tech." I said triumphantly. 

"Oh. Thats right I forgot you were a Bronc Rider. How's that going?" He asked sarcastically. He'd always despised my choice of career. He thought Bronc Riding was a stupid thing for a girl to do. He's one of those guys who thinks the only thing a woman was good for was sex. Which has always made me wonder why Angelina is married to him. 

"Actually, It's going really good. I'm headed to the championships in a couple of weeks." I said my eyebrows raised at him. 

"Alright, Lisbug I think it's about time we headed to the store to get ready for that party tonight." Dimitri said getting up and grabbing my hand. 

"Yeah." I said aggravatedly

"Be careful you two." Angelina said smiling at us as we walked out the front door.

"Will do mom." Dimitri replied pulling me outside and shutting the door. 

"Well that was a little bit intense." Dimitri said helping me into the truck. "

Yeah. Just a little." I replied still slightly aggravated. 

"I don't think he meant anything by it." Dimitri said frowning at me before shutting the door and walking over to his side of the truck. 

"Okay. So guest list and snacks?" He said looking at me as he got inside the car and started the ignition. 

"I'll make a facebook announcement to invite people. For snacks we should just get some chips or something and make it a BYOB party." I said. 

"BYOB?" He questioned. 

"Bring your own beer." I answered. 

"Oh. Okay." He paused. 

"That sounds great." He smiled at me. I glared back. 

"Alright look Lizzy, I'm sure my dad meant absolutely nothing by what he said. Okay?" I can't believe he's defending this guy. Urgh

"No Dimitri it's not okay. Your dad did mean something by it. Your dad's always means something when he does that. Your dad's the kind of guy who thinks women are only good for sex he's always been like that. You know I'm right too." I said. 

"Okay. You might be right, but I really don't want to do this. I just got you back baby. I don't care what my dad thinks of your life choices. Let's not fight over whether or not my dads a good guy. Okay?" He said sadly. 

"Okay." I answered.

*2 Hours Later At Her Cabin*

"Guests shouldn't get here until 9." I said looking over at Dimitri who was dumping ice into the back of his truck so that we could fill it with beers for ourselves and the people who can't bring their own. 

"Alright, what do you want to do while we wait?" He asked. 

"Um, How about we go for a hike? I can show you the cave, and the lake." I suggested. 

"I'd really rather not how about we just sit and talk?" He answered. 

"Fine by me." I smiled at him. He still hadn't put a shirt on, I couldn't even get him to wear one in walmart

"So how's Bronc Riding going for you? I never did ask." I started the conversation with something mild and non emotional. I really didn't want to start crying in front of him again. 

"Not so great actually. I just can't seem to keep my balance. It's so hard with the horses constantly twisting and turning." He said glumly. 

"Do you ride bareback or saddled?" I asked. 

"Saddled." He answered. 

"Oh. Well than maybe you should try bareback. It's a lot easier for me. I don't know if it would be for you but it's worth a try." I smiled at him. 

"Yeah. Maybe I will." He said. 

"I've been riding bareback for forever and a day though so that may be why it seems so easy to me." I said. 

"Yeah. You've always been really good at it too. I used to love watching you in high school. You'd get up on them things and you'd have the biggest grin on your face as you nodded to the person to open the chute. Then you'd get out into the arena raise that hand to keep your balance and give off a few Yee Haws for the crowd. Boy did they just eat that up too. I think the only time I ever saw you fall off was during your accident in 2011 with Big Hammer." He said grinning at me from ear to ear. 

"Oh yeah. Boy that accident was a bad'n. I've never forgotten. Oh he kicked me around so much. Broken arm, broken ribs, broken leg. I thought I was never gonna be able to ride again. " I said. 

"I know. That's what everybody thought. We all thought that you were done for good." He said. 

"Luckily though I made a speedy recovery and was able to ride again." I said. "Ooh. Do you remember the swing we built out here Bull?" I asked. 

"Yeah." He answered. "Do you remember where it is?" I asked excitedly. 

"Oh. Yeah." He said "It's underneath the big ole tall tree across the creek and forty steps from the outhouse." He directed. "

You wanna go see it?" I asked practically jumping up and down in my seat. 

"Sure." He replied heading toward the cabin door.

*9:30 The Party's Just Barely Started*

"Lisbeth, Is that you?" I turned to my left where I'd heard the question come from. And saw a short little blonde girl who looked to be in her early 20's. She was big and round pregnant. I had absolutely no Idea who she was. 

"Um...Yeah." I answered skeptically. 

"Do you not remember me?" They paused. 

"It's me Tracy. We used to be like best friends." Oh. I thought. Her. 

"Oh. Tracy I'm sorry I didn't recognize you. Did you do something to your hair?" I asked glancing down at her big and round pregnant belly. 

"Yeah. I dyed it. Do you like it?" She asked tucking a lock behind her ear. 

"Yeah. I love it." I answered. 

"So um...How've you been?" I asked. "

I've been okay." She said. 'This little thing" She pointed to her stomach "and it's daddy have been a handful lately though. I can't get Jonathan to announce the pregnancy to his parents. He's afraid they'll disown him because they didn't even want us getting married in the first place let alone having kids." She finished looking around for Jonathan I assumed. 

"Oh. How far along are you?" I asked. 

"I'm six and half months along." She answered sighing. 

"Oh wow." I said. "Well do you have a name picked out?" I asked. 

"Yeah." She answered. "Lisbeth if it's a girl, after you. I always loved your name, and Xzavien for a boy." She smiled brightly at me. 

"Thank you. That's really cool. I've never had anybody name a baby after me." I said shyly. 

"Yeah. Well I gotta go time for me to sleep. Just wanted to say Hi." She said turning around to walk away. 

"Bye" I said. 

"Hello." Dimitri said wrapping an arm around my waist. 

"Hi. How are you?" I asked turning around in his arms. 

"I'm good." He said looking at my lips. "Can I kiss you?" He asked. After a few seconds I slowly nodded a yes, and waited for him to bend down and kiss me. 

"Lizz?" I heard just before Dimitri could kiss me. 

"Yes." I turned away from Dimitri. 

"It's me Christian Kemmings." He said. 

"Remember? I'm the guy you used to call Chris." He added. 

"Um. I think so aren't you the guy I dated for like our entire eighth grade year." I answered. 

"Yeah. Until I confessed my love for you and you left me for Dimitri Boulevarde." He said dryly. 

"Oh yeah. How've you been?" I asked. 

"I've been alright. I heard you and Dimitri ended things though and was wondering if maybe you wanted to go to breakfast or something with me tomorrow morning. Whadda ya think?" He said. 

"Well uh actu..." I started. 

"Cause you know I never stopped loving you, tomorrow morning at 9 work for you I'll meet you at the little breakfast place in town." He paused. I just stared at him blankly for a few seconds then started to answer only to be rudely interrupted by him again. 

"Alright, I'll meet you there at 9 tomorrow morning." He said turning around and practically running away. Well then. I thought to myself. 

"Can I kiss you now?" Dimitri asked ending his conversation with whoever he was talking to and walking over to me. 

"Yes" I answered nodding happily. Then slowly he bent down and touched his lips to mine. It was a soft, slow, and passionate kiss. I love him so much I thought to myself as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

*9 The Next Morning*

"Wake up Bull. We're meeting Christian Kemmings at the restaurant down the road." I said shaking him awake. 

"Come on we're gonna be late." I said shaking him harder. 

"Fine, fine." He answered groggily. I got up and started to pack my stuff. 

"Why are we eating breakfast with the creeper from high school?" He asked. 

"Cause he didn't really give me a chance to say no and I figure it can't hurt us." I answered. 

"Alright. Fine. But only because I love you." He replied gently wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing my forehead. 

"Go get in the truck." He said. 

"I'll pack the stuff." He smiled gently at me. 

"Alright." I smiled back at him.

"Are we there yet?" I asked . I really thought that this thing was closer than it apparently is. 

"Almost there." He replied annoyed. 

"I'm not excited about this any more." I sighed. "This is boring." I added. 

"Shut up Liz." He said pulling into the parking lot of the restaurant. 

"Finally." I shouted jumping out just as he put the truck into park. 

"Liz come back here." He said jogging after me. 

"No." I said defiantly turning around and sticking my tongue out at him. 

"Two year old." He said shaking his head at me. 

"Naw." I answered back sarcastically. We walked into the restaurant and a nice lady seated us at a booth table in the very back corner. 

"What would you like to drink?" The waitress asked. She was a young girl blonde little thing. Looked to be about 14 or 15. 

"I'll have sweet tea, and he'll have an orange juice?" Dimitri nodded a yes at me signaling I'd gotten my guess right. 

"Alright." She said heading towards the drink machines. 

"Hi Liz." Christian said walking over to the booth.

'ChristianHow are youIt's been forever. Wait are you okaySometh-"
Elizabeth didn't even get to finish her sentence before Christian reached inside his jacket pulled out a gun and shot everyone in the restaurant including himself

Christian Kemmings was a Psychotic Serial KillerHe had run around killing all the people he used to knowHe changed his name multiple times so as not to get caught and until his death in 2014 we had no idea who he really wasToday is the anniversary of his death and the twenty three people he killed inside that dinerToday I stand here to apologize to all the people who lost someone one year ago todayChristian was my son and if I'd only realized how bad his Psychosis was getting none of these people would have died. Today in honor of two of the people we know diedI'm extremely honored to present the D&EL Rodeo ArenaThis arena is named after two amazing Bronc Ridersthey were highschool sweethearts and had just gotten back together from a two year separationMy son had seen this through their Facebook pages and practically forced them to meet him at that dinerThe few witnesses that lived to tell the gruesome story said that they were the first two shot and probably would've lived had they not jumped on Christian to try and stop himDimitri and Elizabeth will forever be remembered as the heroes they wereThank you to all those whom showed up in honor if them today.

The End

© 2016 Grey


Author's Note

Grey
While criticism is greatly appreciated, limited harshness is also greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on September 14, 2016
Last Updated on September 15, 2016
Tags: #love, #tragedy, #tragiclove, #lovestory

Author

Grey
Grey

Stillwater, OK



About
I am almost 17 years young and I aspire to someday be a writer as well as a Bronc Rider and Barrel Racer. more..

Writing
The Grim Reaper The Grim Reaper

A Story by Grey