Part Twenty-Eight

Part Twenty-Eight

A Chapter by lawrence bear
"

Agony

"

Superman hovered above a city in ruins; black smoke besieged the skyline as small eruptions appeared here and there. He was bewildered and unable to comprehend as his heart drummed against his chest and tears formed on the rim of his eyes. Lost in his thoughts, past memories collided with present and it clawed at him. Those cries of helpless people and children haunted him; He could still hear their pleas and when he shut his eyes, tears streamed down his face as he hung there regretting and questioning his faith.

 

            “You can’t save everyone son, it’s impossible…” A memory reverts from his father, Jonathan Kent. “You can’t be everywhere at once, even with your great speed; you are bound to lose someone.”

 

            Superman’s head bowed and he fought to hold back his tears but it was no use, all his pain, all his fears, and all his fury, he let it out as he cried out in agony. Opening his eyes he gazed at his hands momentarily before clenching them closed in anger. “No more…” his voice trembled. “No more dying.” he uttered. “I am their last hope… I am the man of steel, I am, Superman.”


#

 

            Meanwhile across the bay,

 

            Wonder Woman stood outside the ambulance putting on her bracelets as one of the paramedics brushed a special clear liquid hardener to Superman’s suture on her abdomen. A new prototype used in all hospitals to coat and seal the wounds from opening. “You know,” The paramedic said to her, “If you don’t mind me saying. But either you are one brave woman or one crazy broad to go back there, especially in your condition.”

 

Wonder Woman chuckled at his remark. For a moment, it made her think of Green Lanterns humor and it made her smile. “It’s alright citizen,” she beamed. “I feel fine, thanks to you. But I will not turn my back on a friend in need. As a soldier of the league, we fight for justice and amity.”

 

The paramedic shook his head with a smirk, “I was wrong, you are crazy.”

 

Wonder Woman tilted her head back and laughed holding her stomach, “I like you,” she said and grasped his bearded face and kissed him on the lips, then she turned to Cat Woman, “We haven’t much time, we must go.”

 

“I… I’m not going,” Cat Woman uttered, her stomach was in a knot. “You understand, don’t you?” her head dropped as she held back her tears. Wonder Woman stood staring and with a smile and a nod, she touched her arm and departed. Cat Woman looked on as she headed back towards Metropolis, she had wanted to go, and she needed to know if Batman were still alive. But that sinking feeling she had, she feared looking upon his body. The man she detested at one time, the man she grew to love. Precious moments flooded her memory banks, her eyes watered as she thought of the dark knight lying in a pool of blood and she was afraid she could not handle it. “Please…” she thought, and tears rolled down her face as she heard the beast roar.  “Please god, don’t abandon us too.”

#


© 2020 lawrence bear


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on August 15, 2020
Last Updated on August 15, 2020
Tags: #action #adventure #superheroes


Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear