My Canada

My Canada

A Story by lawrence bear
"

Team Canada vs team USA for Gold

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of My Canada.



Last night was one of the most spectacular games I ever watched. Both teams evenly matched, and the score tied up until the 3rd period where Americans showed some great skill, with speed and quick wrist shots. As some probably turned off the tube when the USA went up 2 goals in the last few minutes of the game. I sat and watched, and said to myself, "They'll tie it up, they always do." and that my friends is where team Canada's player Eberle who was dubbed the 'Messiah', stepped up to the plate. Canada was all over the US in their zone, but their goalie stood on his head as he made save after save.

One timer’s from the slot, rebounds he deflected away, the crowd was on their feet. Wooing shot after shot. My hair on the back of my neck stood as some Canadian player's stormed the net, only to be turned away from the USA goalie. The score was 5-3 late in the third where team USA received a penalty for tripping. Now comes the heart and soul of our country, Eberle looked around to his players, dropped his head, which looked like a quick prayer. The face-off was to right of the USA goal. Now music is blaring, you can imagine how loud it is in Saskatoon where the Junior Championship was held. The crowd chanting 'Eh! O - Canada go.' with my hands gripped like I'm praying, but silently... I was.

The puck drops, Canada wins it. They pass it around for a bit looking for the open man. The USA players made some good blocks but scrambled to get it out. The play is deep in the left corner, A Canadian player picks it up, he cycles the puck. With a pass to the point, then back down low, a quick shot. Save, rebounds out. It’s a mad scramble to the puck. But the Canadian Defence, dangles one player to keep it in play, he loses it for a sec as he manages to get around another American who plays the puck. Canada still has it, a pass off to the open slot. Eberle one times the shot dipping into his shot... He scores, the house erupts into an all around frenzy. 2 minutes left on the clock. All players, on the bench and on the ice, look up to the clock. I'm at home my hands in the air like it was me that scored.

The house is louder than low flying jet. Like a giant fan whirling, prompting our boy's the Canadian team to keep playing, the fat lady hasn't sung yet. The play continues as Canada scored on a power play. They skate harder now, dumping and chasing. Both teams exchange shots and USA had a sweet chance in front, left alone he tipped it, one of the best saves of the game. The puck trickles by and the house is screaming. Canada picks it up and storm down to the USA zone, shots are made, Canada keeps in play, and another scramble in front of the USA goalie. Eberle is back on the ice. the puck bounces to him. He swipes at it as he is falling, it bounces off the goalie that was down and out, it rolls across the goal line. Once again the house explodes into a roar, Eberle jumps up and raises his arms in the air. He is jumped by his excited teammates on the ice as they swarm him. My heart is racing, and I'm watching on TV. Seconds seem like minutes as again all players look to the big clock. 5-5 with 1:25 left to play in the third, which plays out.

Over-time is next... the crowd booming, players on the Canadian bench are bumping gloves. Do I have your heart racing? I'm sure across Canada, we are all excited. Hearts pounding like drum, quick washrooms break. Another beer maybe, the pride of our country tied the game. You can see why he is called the 'Messiah'... lets go back a year to where his name Messiah came from. Canada was playing Russia for the Gold again, again I mean for the Gold. Russia was leading by one goal and with seconds left, seconds... Russia had it, they had it... all they had to do was play it out of their zone, but dumped it and icing was called, not a smart play when you're playing for Gold.

These are mere seconds, under a minute, under 30 seconds you see. Eberle is on the ice, playing left wing. The face-off was to the left of the Russian goaltender. The puck drops and Russia wins it, but their winger misplays the bouncing puck, Eberle is there.... he is pushed down, with a fraction of a second, he dekes out the sprawling Russian goal tender and the slides it home... one hundredth of a sec... He scores. This catapulted Canada to win the game in another exciting over-time. Eberle scores the tying goal with a fraction left. This ignites the house, the people around the world watching, and here in Canada to jump off their feet in excitement; even the cameraman is jumping as the screen bounces around. Canada wins another Gold medal, Gold number 5. And here it was for 6.

 

Okay I hope that was enough time, for you to do your business, hey! can I have one of your beers? Okay where were we... oh yah, Canada vs USA. These are big names in hockey. Two giants in hockey to be exact, what's that? Get to the game! Oh sorry for rambling, ha-ha I do get sort of carried away... Oops I'm doing it again.

Okay let’s rewind the tape....
fast forward a bit... Zzzzzip, Both teams show skill of power, hits are made that make you jump to your feet. USA forwards shows dynamic skill of speed, and quick shots. Now its the goalie's turn to shine, they make save after save, and the hip-checks that are thrown sends the crowd into a roar. It's a 20-minute sudden death over-time. If nothing is settled after this one, it still would be sudden death, but 4 - 4 hockey after this. There is no shoot-out in this game, which is one hell of a good game, oops sorry for the language. USA storms the net, speed is the factor here, and it’s a foot race. Breakaway, USA dings one off the post that woo’s the crowd. Now it's down to the last plays of the game.

Canada has it, it's a three on two rush, and the trailing center is open. They go deep into the USA zone, the play is made, a pass to the open Canadian player, a one timer from the slot. This play is almost a duplicate back to where team Canada beat Russia in the infamous 87' world cup. Gretzky fed Lemuiex... he shoots... he scoooores... Mario Lemuiex top shelf's it for Canada.

Okay back to the Juniors, this play was on the opposite side, The Canadian player puts all he had into this blister of a shot. A screen shot at that, big save, a rebound, Canada over skates it. A USA defender picks it up, dishes to a curling winger who then passed it up to a streaking "Carlson" a strong player, a strong skater, an all around finesse player. He storms down the left side, leading a three on one rush. Everyone is standing; the Canadians are caught deep in the zone of the USA as the scramble back. Carlson has it, he looks, he looks down at the puck for a second. The Canadian defender plays the pass and drops to block the pass. Carlson looks again, then lets go a mean wrist shot, he shoots... he scooooores... top corner glove side. Canada players look to the heaven's in disbief, as I too sink back into my couch, my heart goes out to them, our boy's, our Canadian team. Watching as the USA pile on each other, winning the Gold, stopping us at 5.

Tears in our boy's eyes as they watch, knowing they were playing with their heart and soul. I know the feeling of what they go through, as you look on the team that just beat you, in a big game such as this. I was a hockey player once, its pride we play for, when you wear our nations symbol. You carry the torch in hopes of nothing to put it out. We skate with honor, oh wait a sec, honestly... let me put it this way.

 

We pray before going into battle, we see the game, the big game as a battle field. It’s a war that rages out there. Through blood sweat and tears, we strive forward. We wear the Maple Leaf with pride, joy, and honor. We fight for Canada, as it were our Queen. Our skates are our horses, our sticks are our swords, and we don the hockey equipment, as it was our armour. There is only one road we see, and that road is glory. We fight for our pride, we fight for honor, most importantly, and we fight for... Glory.

 

My heart fell, because I know the feeling to well. But with heads held high, we honor our country with all we have. We poured every once of love, the skill; we showed the world how much Canada means to us. As Canadian hockey players who don the symbol our nation, As Canadians... We live by Vince Lombardi's quote alone.

"Winning isn't everything.... It's the only thing."

Thank you for reading,
I love my country, I love those boy's for trying. From one hockey player to another...
It is, for the love of the game we carry the torch, nothing... is ever over. With love and respect to all hockey players through out the world, peace be with you. Play hard, play smart, and see you next year at the worlds.


My Canada.

© 2010 lawrence bear


Author's Note

lawrence bear
My comments after watching the game.



Reviews

While reading your narration I thought I was watching the game. I don't know what else to say

Posted 11 Years Ago


lawrence bear

11 Years Ago

Thank you tony2003, I am glad you visualized the game through my eyes as intended. I am glad you enj.. read more
Still brings tear to me eyes and you have a great way of reliving the moment. good flow my fellow brother from the frozen North. Do you remember 72, Paul Henderson scoring the winner in Russia. The first Canada Cup. You are probably to young.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hot damn, I always feel bad for those kids when I think about it. Still, they were lifted to our shoulders for their achievements. Which would be worse, celebrated as a silver medal team, or to be unknown as gold medal winners. Collectively, Canadian's hearts were broken on that day, but to think that only a few in the states even knew that an epic battle took place?

Got to say though, Eberle will forever be known in Canada for his last minute heroics. Can't wait until next holiday season.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was totally enthralling!
I am an American and will always root for my country, but with your descriptions, I started to silently root for Canada to win
Your emotional descriptions were also amazing. The disbelief and sadness of the losing team are not always portrayed in a way that does them justice, so aces on this!
To leave a well rounded critique, I reread for any errors I could find... but I honestly didn't find anything wrong with this.
To put it simply, I have never given a story a rating of "100". But this one deserves it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


Interesting....
It really does seem more like a story...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2010
Last Updated on January 26, 2010
Tags: hockey

Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear