Plans in Motion

Plans in Motion

A Chapter by ♋ Iris ♋

Darrel had to wait to sign the papers before he could move in. The process would take a few days but he didn't mind. He thought that he could get a head start on his plans. He decided that, if he was going to get the monthly utility payment, he was going to need help. He was going to allow people to rent out rooms and stay there. 
When taking the tour of the top two floors of the mansion, he saw that there were two hallways on each level. The second floor was strictly lodging. Each hall on the second floor had four bedrooms and two bathrooms. The third floor had four more bedrooms in one of the halls. The other hall had two doors that led into a huge library. 
Darrel wanted to rent out the rooms but he didn't want it to be like an apartment kind of rental. He wanted the tenants to be more like roommates. He had spent most of his childhood alone in a house of people. He would rather be friends with the people he was going to potentially live with. 
"Roommates wanted." He read out loud. He had placed an article in the local newspaper with his cell phone number. Now all he had to do was wait for a call. He had called into work that day and taken the day off so he wouldn't miss anyone who might call. He kept the paper in front of his face. "Ten rooms available for rent. First come, first serve."
He was hoping the fact that the article called for roommates and that there were ten rooms open would peak people's interest without plainly stating that he lived in a mansion. He placed the paper down on the coffee table in front of him and laid down on his side on the couch. He put his phone right beside his head and stared at it. Someone had to call sooner or later. He kept watching the phone.
"A watched pot never boils." The words rung in his head. He smiled as he recognized the voice. It was his mothers. She would always say that when she was cooking and he would sit there and watch her rather than do his homework. He always thought that time went by faster when wasn't in the room because the food would get done so much faster when he kept his mind occupied. Darrel frowned at his next thought. He thought that if he looked outside for his dad's car, he would never come home.
Darrel jumped and fell off the couch when the phone went off right in his face. He reached up, still laying on the floor, and answered the phone. "Darrel Keith here." He said into the receiver. 
"Hey Darrel." It was Barron. Darrel sighed and picked himself up off the floor.
"Hows it going?" He asked. "Do you need me to sign something or something?" He asked walking over to the refrigerator. He pulled out a carton of orange juice.
"Yeah. I hoped we could meet at your place. Actually I'm on my way over." Darrel looked down the watch on his wrist. It was about two thirty. He shrugged.
"Sure. Come on over." Darrel wasn't really planning on doing anything today anyway. It wouldn't be bad to have some company. The two hung up. The few minutes that Darrel had, he picked up around the living room. He opened the door once he heard the knock. 
"Come in." Darrel said as he opened the door. He was surprised to see two bodies outside of the door instead of only one. He opened the door wider to let both of the boys walk in. The younger boy walked with his head held down and his fire engine red hair covering his dark eyes. The dark colored cargo pants he had on fit loosely around his small frame. 
"Bet you weren't expecting anyone to come with me." Barron asked as he took a seat at the small table in the center of the floor. The shy looking kid followed the buff man. Barron motioned for the boy to sit next him like he needed permission. 
"I wasn't but its always nice to have guests over." He said. The younger boy looked a little more comfortable as he took his seat. "Would any of you like a drink? I have orange juice and water." The boy became instantly more shy as he shook his head no.
"He would like some juice and I would take some water, thanks." Barron answered.
"But, brother, I..." The boy spoke.
"Brother?" Darrel asked. 
"Oh, yes. This is my little brother, Alec." The kid's cheeks flushed slightly as he nodded.
"Nice to meet you." He said. Darrel smiled over at him as he handed him his glass of juice.
"Nice to meet you as well." He redirected his attention back to Barron. "You said that I needed to sign some papers?" Barron rubbed the back of his neck. 
"Well, to tell you the truth, I have some more personal business to talk over with you." Barron looked down at his younger brother. "Alec was wondering if he could be one of your new roommates that you were looking for." Darrel, who happened to be taking a drink at the time, choked and coughed.
"Really?" He looked at Alec. He blushed more and nodded.
"If it wouldn't be an inconvenience. I can pay enough each month without a problem. I just need a place to stay." He explained. Darrel looked him up and down.
"How old are you?" Darrel asked.
"He's sixteen, but he's good on his word to pay." Barron answered. Darrel was a little surprised at the age.
"What is it that you do?" 
"I... well, I model for a clothing store." He stuttered kind of embarrassed. Darrel could see it. He was slender and pretty tall for his age. He was actually kind of good looking kid. 
"So, do we have a deal?" Barron asked. Darrel didn't even have to think about it. 
"Of course." He said shaking Alec's hand. Darrel had gotten what he wanted: a first roommate.


© 2013 ♋ Iris ♋


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on November 13, 2013
Last Updated on November 21, 2013


Author

♋ Iris ♋
♋ Iris ♋

About
MUSE OF SPACE PROSPIT DREAMER Iris is my pen name. My real name is Jessa. I am laid back most of the time. love anime and manga. I am a teenager but I dont know if you can say average. I .. more..

Writing