Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by EncoreDeZiza

Her.

EncoreDeZiza
All Rights Reserved

2013

 

Chapter Two

 

“Does this sound right?” Looking up from her lyrics, Avery took in Skyler, whose huge blue eyes sparked with frustration. They were at Skyler’s in her lounge, her brand new electric guitar propped up in her lap. She had on old, yellow pencil tucked in her ear, her notebook sprawled out before her.

            Avery sat on the opposing couch, revising the lyrics she’d written a few days ago. The pen dangling from her lips, waiting. Skyler always called Avery over for these things because she knew how it was supposed to sound and she could effortlessly calm Sky down when she became overwhelmed. With her full attention, Sky’s beautiful eyes flickered down to the chords- specifically the low E. She strummed before glancing up, waiting hopefully. Avery bit down on the pen, “That’s a B, love.” She informed, her pen moving slightly with her breath.

“Oh, so tighter is higher?” She mumbled, forehead creasing in confusion as her eyes returned to the chords before her.

“Right,” Avery agreed, reaching for her Cherry Coke, “Anything else?” But Sky was long gone, forever in the land of melody. Avery turned her attention back to her lyrics, frowning down at the page. Before she could pick up her pen, the flashing lights of her phone had her full attention. Leaning forward and slightly squinting, she realized it was Ezra. Hey. Where were you? Thought we were meeting up?

 

                        Confusion setting in, she could feel her eyebrows furrowing and her lips pursing. A girlish giggle had her eyes sliding into Sky’s knowing blue orbs. “Well?”

“Well what?”

She raised an eyebrow, “Are you going to text back?”

Avery sighed, “How many times do I have to tell you not to read my messages?”

“Then quit putting them on the screen!” She countered, throwing her arms in the air before she became completely serious, those blue eyes sparking as they narrowed and darkened, only adding to her already outstanding beauty. “Now text him back and tell him you’re coming.”

“Skyler,” Avery pressed but before she could say much else her phone vibrated and her hand shot out to retrieve it before Sky’s prying one could. “Hello?”

“Hey. Were we meeting up today?”

“I don’t go on Thursdays,” She informed, shrugging even though she knew he couldn’t see, “My Thursday’s are reserved for other things.”

“Okay…” He sighed then, probably annoyed with talking to her. Which was fine with her, she wanted him to leave her alone. She was beginning to lose her mind, and there was no way she would even consider talking to him about it. He’d send her off, willingly, handcuffs, straight jacket, padded rooms- everything. She shivered. If they deemed her insane (Which she probably was) then they wouldn’t give her a razor and she would be so hairy, her legs, her arm pits. Another shiver. Nope. Not telling anyone… “When are your other things done?” So much for avoidance.

She was contemplating possible replies, when a high- pitched girlish scream made her cringe and turn her head to glare at her supposed ‘friend’. “Avery!” Skyler yelled, faking innocence, “Who’s on the phone?”

Narrowing her eyes, Avery ground her jaw before replying, in equal volume, “A friend!”

“Tell her to come over!” Skyler yelled, smirking now as she relaxed into the couch once again. Slowly bringing her glass to her lips, giving the fuming Avery a friendly wink.

“It’s a him.” Avery corrected before stopping herself, this only encouraged the behavior.

“Oooooo! Is he hot?” Avery scoffed.

“Yes he is!” Ezra yelled through the phone, making Avery cringe at his volume before grinning at the words.

Standing, Sky walked over and took the phone, “HEY!” Avery yelled, but was ignored. Completely. Sky hit speaker, making an awful noise, indicating Ezra probably knew he was on speaker, at this point.

“I live in 702 North Cherry. Get your butt over here.”

“Okay,” Ezra replied, amusement lacing his tone, “I’ll be over in a bit, on main.”

“You better be true to your word,” Sky threatened, raising her eyebrow, “I don’t let just an average Joe walk in here like he owns the place. Be smokin’ hot or get lost.” Avery stood, starring open mouthed at the audacity of her friend. How could you say something like that?

“Goodbye ladies,” He replied swiftly ending the call.

            Sky wrinkled her nose, “The way he said ‘ladies’ made me feel old,” She confessed, dropping the phone on the table carelessly.

“EY!” Avery yelled, “Watch it.”

She snorted, “I spent more money on my toilet paper than you did on that.”

“Not all of us are rock stars.”

“That’s because some of us refused.”

“I don’t like audiences!” Avery reminded, giving her friend a stern look as she shrugged her shoulders carelessly before lifting her guitar and bringing it to her stomach so she could  flop back down on the couch.

“Shut up and sing,” She commanded, looking down in pure concentration before playing to beginning to Misery Business.

Avery groaned, “You know I don’t like Paramore.”

“What part of shut up and sing did you not get?” She asked, glaring as the abandoned guitar strings vibrated out.  But Avery was stubborn, the fact that Hollywood had altered her friends personality was only thickening the amount of energy she’d put into fighting this. Sighing in defeat, she rolled her eyes, “Sing and I’ll play Shinedown, Seether, and Chevelle.”

Avery gave her a weary glance, full of suspicion, “All of them?”

“Two of them.”

She felt her face brighten, “Deal.” And just like that, those lovely guitar strings started up again, sending their vibrations through the silent house. “I’m in the business of misery, let’s take it from the top. She’s got a body like an hour glass, it’s ticking like a clock. It’s only a matter of time before we all run out, when I thought he was mine, she caught him by the mouth. I waited eight long months, she finally set him free, I told him I couldn’t lie he was the only one for me. Two weeks till we caught on fire, she’s got it out for me, but I wear the biggest smile.”

           

            By now, her foot was busily tapping on the arm rest of the couch, her fingers keeping rhythm as her thumbs tapped repetitively on her thigh. She laid on her back, eyes closed, as she took a few quick  breaths, “Whoa! I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now, Whoa! It was never my intention to brag-“ She stopped at the creaking of floorboards, using her abs to sit up. Feeling beyond awkward when she noticed it was Ezra.

“Please don’t stop,” He blurted, those grey eyes trained solely on Avery.

Sky laughed, “She’s good, isn’t she?”

Laying back down, she rolled her eyes, “Whatever. That bands done, Incubus, please.” Skyler sighed as Ezra pulled up a chair, sitting on it backwards before looking from one to the other,

“Drive,” Avery smiled in response, tapping lightly as they guitar hummed to life, broadening her smile. She loved the sound of guitar, so much. It was just so beautiful, so peaceful.

            “Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear. And I �" I cannot help but ask myself how much I let the fear take the wheel and steer. It’s driven me before and it seems to have a vague, haunting mass appeal. But lately I’m beginning to find that I should be the one behind the wheel.

            “Whatever tomorrow brings I’ll be there, with open arms and open eyes, yeah. Whatever tomorrow brings I’ll be there, I’ll be there. So if I decide to waiver my chance to be one of the hive. Will I chose water over wine? And hold my own and drive? It’s driven me before and it seems to be the way that everyone else gets around. But lately I’m beginning to find that when I drive myself my life is found.

            “Whatever tomorrow brings, I’ll be there, with open arms and open eyes, yeah. Whatever tomorrow brings, I’ll be there, I’ll be there. Would you choose water over wine, hold the wheel and drive? Whatever tomorrow brings I’ll be there, with open arms and open eyes, yeah. Whatever tomorrow brings, I’ll be there, I’ll be there.”

 

“Wooohooo!’ Skyler yelled after finishing the song, “Hey! Really hot dude?”

He laughed, “Ezra.”

“Skyler,” she countered, “Thank you for showing me your sexiness. Now give us a song.”

He was quiet for a while, contemplating. Avery found that most fascinating about him. He thought, about everything. It was a weird thing to be drawn to, that was for sure, but she was. He just had to have the best answer, the one that could benefit the future, and if he didn’t get it, he found it. “Know any Icon For Hire?”

“Yes” Avery said at the same time Skyler shook her head.

“Look up The Grey by them- you’d be really good at it. Until then, Avery, what songs by them do you know?”

“Um…” She bit her lip, she didn’t like being put in the spot light. At all. “Fight.”

Those grey eyes of his seemed to darken as he leaned forward, they didn’t move once from hers, even as Sky stood, walking in between them to fetch her laptop, “Sing it.” Yeah, no.

She looked over to Sky, who’d just opened her computer, “Go ahead,” She dismissed, waiving her hands as she spoke, her eyes never leaving the screen. “It’s gonna take forever for me to get this old girl working.”

            She momentarily wished someone would just barge in through the door, with handcuffs- normally it was her biggest fear, but right now, she would willingly go and she would willingly get arrested. Tragically, nothing happened. Letting out a huge breath full of disappointment, she set her eyes on his, shivering under the intensity. How could he do that? Why did he do that? She mentally shook her head, and opened her mouth, “It’s my acoustic version,” she informed, hoping he’d back down. But, of course, he didn’t. Those eyes trained solely on her, unmoving, unwavering. He wasn’t going to back down. She sighed and crossed her legs under her, resting her palms on her knees and then she let lose. “I don’t know how I got here, but I refuse to stay, I betrayed myself when I let others have their way. But I am holding on, my finger on the pulls, the sound of my heart pounding tells me there’s still hope! But people don’t like, when you put up a fight, and slowly, ever so slowly, I am losing mine. I’ll fight, fight, fight or be taken out a live. Fight, No where to run, no where to hide. Standing on the edge, am I better off dead? How could I forget that I’m better than this? I’ve come too far to fade tonight, Fight or be taken out a live.” She awkwardly trailed off, the more she sang, the worse his stare got. She squirmed slightly in her seat, just wishing he would stop.

            “So, is this what you do on Thursdays?” He asked, blinking, before allowing his eyes to roam the room. She breathed in relief.

“Yup. Thursdays through Mondays.” She replied, finally allowing her body to relax into the couch that so willfully waited for her return. “Thursdays are all nighters, we sleep most of Friday and then the rest of the weekend is spent doing our stuff.”

His head snapped back to hers, and she found herself more than relieved when the intensity was gone, leaving nothing but a solid wall of cold steel. “Your stuff as in original?” She nodded, “Can I stay?”

“Honey, you are welcome whenever you want.” Sky informed, her attention on the screen, “Come here,” Avery stood and, stepping over the table, joined her in starring at YouTube. She was paused on a video entitled “The Grey IFH- LYRICS!” When Avery was settled, she pressed play.

                                    I am standing on the edge of returning or just running away. I am letting myself look the other way. And the hardest part in all of this is, I don’t think I know my way back home. Is it worth the journey or do I let my heart settle here?

            How cold have I become? I didn’t want to lose you by what I’d done, caught in the grey. I don’t wanna look you in the eyes, you might call me away. I don’t wanna give you the chance to make me stay. And the hardest part in all of this is, I know my way back, I don’t want to go and let you see all that has become of me!

            I should’ve known, I should’ve known! I didn’t have a chance. How cold have I become, I didn’t want to lose you by what I’d done, caught in the grey. It burns for a moment but, but then it melts you! Takes you and leaves you just leaves you just caught in the grey. In your deepest pain, In your weakest hour, in your darkest night, you are lovely. In your deepest pain, in your weakest hour, in your darkest night, you are lovely.

            How cold have I become… I didn’t want to lose you by what I’d done, caught in the grey. It burns for a moment but, but then it melts you, takes you and leaves you just caught in the grey! In your deepest pain, in your weakest hour, in your darkest night, you are lovely! In your deepest pain, in your weakest hour, in your darkest night, you are lovely.

            I am standing on the edge of returning or just running away.

 

 

            “Whoa.”

“That’ll take forever to learn.”

“Nah,” Ezra dismissed, “You two can learn it before Monday.”

“Screw that,” Sky snorted, “I wanna have fun.” Avery’s eyes lit, turning to look at her friend, biting her lip in anticipation, “I’ll get the beer,” Sky promised.

Avery squealed, jumping to her feet, “Ezra? What would you like? Drums or guitar?” She asked, already retrieving the instruments.

“Drums,” Ezra inputted with a shrug. She lifted them and brought them to him, planting them in front of him and the guitar on Sky’s vacant seat. She turned then, biting her lip before moving the drums to the couch and getting guitar number two and tossing it to the other side. She grabbed three remotes from their chargers and turned on the wii before handing them out. Eventually (After Ezra had followed the drums to the couch and Avery had placed her feet on his lap and they’d both chosen characters and turned on the wii and then designed their instruments), Skyler popped out of no where, dropping the huge box of beer on the table before opening a can and smirking at the TV, “Game on.”

 

            She bit her lip, gently setting the sleeping infant into its crib before soundlessly grabbing her leather jacket and pulling it on. Her delicate fingers brushed the inside of her pockets, enclosing around the cigarette pack. Finding them still secure, she closed the door softly behind her. Walking quietly down the stairs, “AUTUMN!” She froze, her entire body tensing, still she continued walking, her eyes trained on the door before her. “Are you deaf, you little b***h? I’m talking to you!”

            And now he had her full attention, turning sharply on her heal and grinding her teeth, “Sorry, I don’t speak dead- beat.”

He stood from the couch, fists at his sides. She watched, her eyes sparking in anticipation. Do it, she thought, F*****g do it you coward. “Autumn, honey,” Her step mother spoke up, “We have something to tell you.”

“Does it involve a divorce?”

“Don’t talk to your mother like that, you little c**t!”

“George!” Please. Act like you don’t say it too.

“What? Who knows where she goes! This is exactly why I wanted to get rid of her.” She snorted. This was ridiculous. She should just leave.

“We’re not getting rid of you, baby. We’re hiring a young man- a behavior specialist. He’ll be your friend and you can tell him all your secrets-“

“Hold up, I’m confused. Is he a babysitter or a spy?” When none of them answered, she scoffed, turning around and opening the door to reveal her parents’ newest waste of money, “Hello unnecessary babysitter.”

He gave a grim smile, it matched the ‘look’ he had going. His dirty blonde hair slicked back, his white shirt (That was way too fancy, in her opinion) tucked into the hem of his black trousers. Oh you’ve got to be kidding me. They couldn’t have at least made him hot? AT LEAST? “Good evening, Autumn.” He greeted in a low, somewhat husky voice. Gross. She was so out of here.

“Well I guess it’s kiss-a*s time for you, and leaving time for me. Later!” She called, purposely knocking into him and heading straight for her Harley.

 

            Sitting straight up, Avery gasped, clutching her seating neck as her eyes locked on a familiar set of grey eyes, “Are you okay?” He asked in his deep raspy, sexy voice.

“Uh, I-“ She swallowed, furrowing her eyebrows, “I dreamt of Autumn…”

Something flashed in those glorious eyes, pushing flecks of blue to the surface, “What about her?”

“I’m- um- I’m not exactly sure…” She trailed off, biting her lip. A different emotion sparked then as he leaned forward, moving her legs from his lap to get closer to her. She found herself let with growing irritation due to the fact she knew nothing about him, she didn’t know his mood swings or what emotions he even showed. All she knew was the front he put up- the sarcastic, indifference, hard-cold armor he’d built because of her. Because she’d said so, and now it was because of her that Avery was left in the dark while Ezra read her like an open book. And it was starting to piss her off.

                    “Avery,” He pleaded, those stone grey eyes mixed with a liquid blue that seemed to pour from the cracks. Maybe that’s what was happening, maybe he was cracking- the armor slowly, hopefully, deteriorating. Seeing him, seeing who he really was left her with a vast amount of emotions she couldn’t even begin to understand. “I know it’s hard for you- draining, even- but I need you to remember.” He pleaded, grabbing her tiny, vulnerable hands and holding them gently in his rather large and rough one, “Please.”

         She swallowed, shaking her head in disapproval towards her heart that was threatening to beat from her chest. He was incredibly handsome but it was obvious he still loved Autumn. He would always love Autumn, she didn’t stand a chance. “Um, it started with her holding a baby and putting it to sleep. When it was all taken care of, she was on her way out of the house, I think to go smoke… And then  she was stopped by some fat, bald guy who was a huge a*****e. He turned out to be her dad and they started fighting but her step mom appeared from no where and started talking about a behavior specialist. Autumn pretty much freaked out and then left, running into the ‘specialist’ and getting on her bike.”

“And?”

“And nothing. That was it.” She shrugged as he hung his head in defeat. “Ezra,” She called moving one of their intertwined hands to lift his face. Her breath caught as his vulnerable, pure blue eyes connected with hers. Emotion. He was showing true, raw emotion. And it was nothing but pain. She opened her mouth, ready to console him. It’s just a dream, she wanted to say. I doubt it actually happened to Autumn, I mean, she would’ve told you, right?

    “Oh my God, I’m so tired,” Skyler moaned, making Ezra tense, his eyes snapping shut. She bit her lip, unable to move or look away. It was Ezra that finally let go of her hands and they fell limply into her lap. “What are you-“

                  At her voice, his eyes snapped open, revealing their normal, grey walls of steel, “I have to go,” He swiftly announced, his flawless lips moving quickly to form the words as he stood and grabbed his things from the wicker basket on the table.

        “Ezra,” Avery blurted before she could stop herself, but he was already half way to the door and she’d only just stood. “Ezra,” She repeated, taking long strides to cross the distance. She didn’t know why she was following him, why she wanted to follow him. She didn’t understand any of it, but it seemed to be happening, nonetheless.

                    Without hesitation, he slammed the door in her face and without a second thought; she thrust it open and stepped out into the rain, “Ezra,” She cried, “Where are you going?” He didn’t utter a single word, just slid into that black mustang of his and hauled a*s.

 

         “What the hell was that?” Skyler demanded, sitting up on her couch.

Avery shrugged, “He had somewhere he had to be.”

“Right,” She agreed, sarcasm aligning her tone, “You ran after him like that annoying chick from Twilight because he was getting his teeth cleaned.” SH rolled her eyes as Avery just stood there, her gut sinking to a new low and she didn’t know how or why but everything in her was screaming Ezra. Whatever was going on, it had everything to do with that ultimately sexy man.

“Oh shut up and make me breakfast,” Avery teased, stepping into the living room and plopping on the couch, “Woman!

“I’m not making you anything looking like that.” Sky remarked, tossing her a hair brush before standing and stretching, “You look like Frankenstein’s wife.” She concluded with a yawn.

  Avery laughed, “You watch way too much T. That’s the second movie reference this morning alone.”

She scoffed, walking into the kitchen, “Whatever! You’re so over dramatic.”

“Am not.”

“Are too!” They bickered childishly.

“Fine,” Avery hugged, “I’ll start keeping track.” Sky snorted in response.

 

XXX

 

 

    He couldn’t take it anymore.

The waiting. The pretending like he wasn’t keeping one prying eye on her at all times.

                           He was going to walk away and never look back.

  And as he set the empty shot glass on the wet counter and gave the flirtatious waiter a wink, he realized he didn’t need a woman, he could just let it all go, detach for a while, he was twenty three and it was time he started acting like it.

                  She poured him another and leaned on the counter, those smoky green eyes trained on him, waiting. He downed it and handed it back, he was going to have her but he’d be far beyond sober if he even thought about another girl that way. No one could ever compare to Autumn Rose Cole. Ever.

 

“So what are you doing later?” She asked, handing him yet another refill. His eyes sparked dangerously at her question, his lips twisting into a smirk around the shot glass.



© 2013 EncoreDeZiza


Author's Note

EncoreDeZiza
So this chapter sucked some major turd... And I didn't like it. At all. Lucky for me and those of you who agree, there's more story and more Autumn-dreams in the next chapter. (: SO YAY!!! And, again, I'm really sorry that this one kind of blew... But, I'll fix it(;

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I totally loved it. I can't wait for the next chapter!


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

EncoreDeZiza

10 Years Ago

I'm so glad!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 7, 2013
Last Updated on August 7, 2013
Tags: guitarhero, videogames, guitar, lyrics, singing, song, music, love, hate, heartbreak, alcohol, sleepovers, weekend, bestfriend, rockstar


Author

EncoreDeZiza
EncoreDeZiza

Narnia, Neverland, United Kingdom



About
Oooooo! A visitor!!! Lol, hello lovely, I'm Zi. I guess I should start by saying that I am, in fact, not from the UK, nope. I lied. I'm from the states, I only lied because when I put US down I had a .. more..

Writing