The Evergreen Legacy~ Mr. and Mrs. Everdeen

The Evergreen Legacy~ Mr. and Mrs. Everdeen

A Chapter by EncoreDeZiza

The Evergreen Legacy

EncoreDeZiza

All Rights Reserved

2013

 

The Evergreen Legacy
Chapter Two

 

School had never really been Jasper’s forte. So just because she never brought anything to study hall didn’t mean she didn’t have work, it just meant she didn’t care for the work; and thus, chose to ignore it. In short, her books were collecting dust who even knew where as she sat, hunched over the table, attempting to draw what she hoped resembled a snow man- but in all reality, it was more of a disturbing clutter of disformed circles that seemed to gather in a heap at the side of her page.

She frowned down at it, eyebrows furrowed, forehead creased, as she brought a thermos of burning coffee to her pursed lips. Her father excelled at all arts, although he preferred combat, and her mother was fairly decent- at art, that is. They were both combat-prodigies. It was tragic, really, the way they just threw out their artistic talents. Because Jasper- well... She was pretty sure that the crayons cried when they saw her coming, fresh determination evident in her long, fearless strides.

The sudden sound of someone obnoxiously clearing their throat had her eyes slowly traveling over a fairly toned body, before settling on a pair of familiar translucent green eyes. Slowly, wordlessly, he placed a disposable cup of steaming coffee on the table before her, nervously shifting his weight. Her eyes flickered form him to cup to him, eyebrows knitting together in an unjustifiable confusion. She opened her mouth, confusion deepening, and closed it. he took the silence and, putting it to good use, ran. Her intrigued eyes followed as he rushed form the library, that annoying nagging settling in her gut- she should’ve said something. But what?

“So I take it you’ve met Captain America?”

Her reaction was immediate, that wordless smile sliding lazily onto her face, creating the most content half-smile she could never duplicate with anyone but him. Her motions fell in uniform with her attitude, slow, steady, humbled. She turned her head to face him, letting them slide slowly over his lengthy frame. In the eight years she’d known him, she’d grown used to his unusual height, towering over her at a frightening 6’5. Tall and lengthy, but far from awkward. Dressed in a designer T she didn’t even try to recognize, she never kept up with his fashion. Ever. It was just.. pointless to her. It’s soft, baby blue color stood out against his fair complexion, yet somehow the brightness matched perfectly with the dark blue jeans that didn’t have a single scratch or fault. She couldn’t see his shoes, but imagined they were some designer pair he’d never wear again, ever. Rolling her eyes at herself, she pulled her unwilling mind back to reality.“You know, your endless wit never ceases to amaze me.”

With his rich brown eyes, matching hair, and clean shaven face, Quito Nelson was a heart throb. Granted, half of it wasn’t his fault- the girls loved him, he was an open guy, so they talked a lot and got a long great, but the girl’s always wanted something more... Something Quito simply wouldn’t give. 

“Shut up,” His black folder hit the unsuspecting table with an unfortunate thud, she didn’t even wince. She was taught better than that. No weaknesses, that was the Evergreen policy. He followed suit, eyes brightening as they strayed form her to who she could only assume was ‘Captain America’. And when his tongue dashed across his lips in yearning she dropped her pencil, wrinkling her nose at his obvious gawking. 

“Quit,” She snapped, watching as his little fantasy shattered, he blinked in utter confusion for a few moments before slowly, reluctantly, dragging his eyes into hers.

“So tell me, how’d you meet?” She rolled her eyes, closing her notebook and making sure everything was in order (as not to disturb her OCD- or as she called it, CDO). Grasping her violet thermos within her chilling hands, she quirked an eyebrow. She didn’t want him to know how they met.. She didn’t want his disapproving words, and that slight narrowing of his eyes. Quito was like an older brother to her, and a best friend, rolled into one. He’d practically raised her- you know, into the ways of humans, anyway. Supernatural? Yeah, her parents had that covered... Dragging herself back to the man sitting rather impatiently in front of her, she sighed. She was in deep..“We ran into each other.”

He blinked. She waited. He blinked again. “You ran into him?” He recapped slowly, disbelievingly. 

“Mmm,” She mumbled, pressing the thermos to her lips as the liquid coursed into her mouth and down her throat. She noticed the slight drop in her shoulders and slouch in her posture as she lifted her gaze back to her friend, rather unwillingly, honestly. Coffee had always provided if even a moment of bliss and serenity and he was kind of... To put it lightly, killing her buzz.

“Jas,” He sighed, closing his eyes, “Only you would run into a man like that- literally. Everyone else could and would, see him coming from like 50 yards away.”

She gave a gasp of fake horror, “YOu mean.. Like... You are with girls?” He gave her a stern look and she chuckled lightly to herself around her thermos, which hadn’t yet moved, she enjoyed the heat that radiated from it and onto her. Bringing something out in her, something she found in music as well... “If it makes you feel better, I dumped my coffee on him too.”

“That does not make me feel better!” Quito snapped, “That man is a sex god! How do you not understand that? H-”

“Quito,” Honestly, if there was ever a single day in their eight years where one of them hadn’t interrupted or scolded the other- she didn’t remember it. And with a phenomenal change such as that, she’d think she would. “My coffee deprivation is more important than your weekly eye candy.”

Weekly? He’s been here for two years, Jasper!” Her eyebrows furrowed, forehead creasing in thought. Two years was a long time, she would’ve noticed by now, she had to of noticed by now.

In the end, she settled on foolery. He was lying, he had to be. “Whatever.” She snorted, earning a look of pure disproval from the librarian, “He has not.”

His brows lifted, fingers of steel wrapping around her tiny wrist and jerking her from her seat, “Let’s go find out.”

“Uh... I’m kind of in class,” Her protests were proved pointless as he drug her through the door.

 

“Siena!” Quito whisper-hissed. Jasper closed her yes, resting her head on the wall. She wished she could say this didn’t happen often- but she’d be lying. She wished she could say it was out of character- but she’d be wrong. She wished she could say a small part of her wasn’t enjoying this but that’d be the biggest lie yet, “Siena, love, come here.”

Jasper couldn’t help the small smile that tugged at her lips at Siena’s response, “Quito!” She counter-hissed, “Quito, my love, what do you want?” 

“Mr. Nelson,” came a strong, authoritative voice. Jasper tensed, preparing herself to run, “May I see your pass?”

“No.” She rolled her eyes as the professor pressed further. Honestly, you’d think they’d learn..

“And why not?”

“Because I don’t have one,” he simply stated before breaking into a full blown whine, “Siiiieeeennnnaaaaaa!” 

“Qqquuuiiiiiitttoo!”

He heaved an enormous sigh, “Siii-”

“Oh for Heaven’s sake!” Jasper snapped, gripping the collar of his shirt and jerking him away from the door, “Come here, Sisi, Come on, girl!” She cooed, as if talking to a dog. The class erupted into simultaneous booming laughter, hiding the gentle squeak of her protestant chair and Jasper’s posture straightened, bracing herself, throwing her arms out wide in anticipation as her wild red-haired friend ducked under Quito’s arm and practically leaped into Jasper’s arms. They stumbled back, Siena using more force than expected. 

“JAS!” She greeted. Quito ushered them out, slamming the door behind them and just like that, the trio effortlessly fell into step, shoulder to shoulder, as they walked down the corridor.

 

“Si, do you know the name of the American boy?”

She snorted, “How could I not? You won’t shut up about him.” Quito smirked and Jasper just rolled her eyes.

“She knows him because you do, doesn’t count.”

He scoffed, “Does too!”

She groaned, “Quito-”

“What are you two on about now?” 

“Jas doesn’t know him.”

“The American?”

Right. Isn’t that preposterous?”

“No.” Siena snorted, taking a large stride forwards and turning to the group, “The fact that you expect Jas to know a boy. She walks around half in our world, half somewhere else.” She stiffened at the words, previous smirk falling. But that was ridiculous, they couldn’t know, they didn’t know; did they?

 

 

Her breath caught as she stumbled, tripping over the countless debris they charged through. She hadn’t been as lucky as she’d hoped, landing on her bruised and scraped knees with a heavy force. Her eyes shot up to the two silhouettes before her, they’d stopped. The smaller, more feminine, shadow reached out, holding a delicate hand, but it stopped, frozen as her words pierced the air, “Go!”

She could do it, she could convince the officers she wasn’t there, that they were chasing some animal instead of three highly intoxicated teens. But she wouldn’t- not if they were there. The two meant more to her than just about anything. And seeing the looks on their faces as they slowly pieced it together- it wasn’t something she could do. Not anymore.

The two figures stayed, the trio listening to the group advance; steps, shouting, threats, increasing to a new high as their authorities neared. Too close for comfort.

Please leave.

They didn’t.

 

Quito crouched on the ground, eyes resting just beyond where Jasper lay. Siena snorted, digging in her deep pockets until she found a small, silver lighter. even in the dark, Jasper could see the mischievous glint that she’d become so used to, shining brilliantly in those golden-brown eyes of hers. Jasper flinched. She knew she couldn’t cover fire- from man-kind, yes. From her parents? No. She could have the entire world believing it never happened, to the point that if they looked upon the burnt shrubbery, they simply wouldn’t see it. It’d appear a fully heathy and live forest, or simply a void of space.  But if Siena burnt the little make-shift woods- her parents would know. the Evergreens would once again find themselves hunted by their own kind. And Jasper... Well, she wasn’t prepared to watch her friends die... Again.

 

© 2013 EncoreDeZiza

 

“TURN RIGHT!” She yelled, grabbing the panic bar above the window, her entire being stiffening instinctually. Her husband, who’d been busily tapping on his screen, snapped his head up, his muscular arms contracting as he grabbed hold of the wheel and jerked. Hazel hissed as the car jerked to the left. They were now off road. Of course they were. They held on as their car toppled and spun over the edge, eventually landing, rather unevenly at the end of a large rock. Her eyes slid steely into his, glaring in frustration. “Turn right.” She repeated, biting the words in volger. “Not left,” Her tone was surprisingly civil-well, to the untrained ear. Zach and Hazel both recognized the pure irritation that rang steadily behind the words. “Right, bloody f*****g right. What is so hard about that? Are you mentally deficient?” 

His eyes narrowed on hers, darkening slightly, “You yelled at me, bloody yelled at me. It’s not like we can’t walk back up, it’s not like we can’t call someone, it’s not like we totaled the bloody car.” He retorted, and in that moment, she hated him. Hated how calm he was, hated the way his body was entirely relaxed as she was still stiff as a bloody brick wall. “I’m allowed to make a single mistake.”

She scoffed, tearing her burning gaze from his, “A single mistake..” She mumbled before using the panic bar to lift her tiny frame from the car- pulling herself through the window gracefully. Er rather, what was left of the window... It was kind of a- well... Lost cause...  

With solid pavement beneath her feet, Hazel drew in a deep, shaky breath. She hated heights, really, really hated them. She was short for a reason, you know. The fact that the sun had set long ago did little to help the couple as they exchanged looks of caution. Zach pulled from the car, walking briskly around it till he reached her side. “What now, hotshot?” She greeted defiantly. Crossing her arms over her chest, and pursing her lips in anticipation. 

Those captivating gray eyes held hers and she found she didn’t have it in herself to look away, perhaps she never would. Shaking her head inwardly at the thought, she allowed her teeth to scrape her bottom lip, eyes trained steadily on him. “There are a number of things we could do.” He replied easily, leaning against the car. This proved to be a mistake, the added weight causing the unstable vehicle to rock forward, slowly hanging on the side. His eyes widened as time suspended, thrusting out his arms. Instinctively, Hazel grabbed them, narrowing her eyes until she noticed his shirt tugging on the exterior. There was only a split second, long enough for her eyes to widen, until the car jolted forward, plummeting to their deaths.

 

The hit wasn’t as hard as she’d suspected- this was partially due to the fact they landed in water. And partially owed to the hate-empowered adrenaline that coursed through her livid veins. She gasped as she broke surface, gulping in the air, before pushing her limbs forward, not at all surprised at the disturbance of the silent waters, another needy gasp stabbing through the air. She’d just hit the shore when a panic-filled, familiar voice rang throughout the night, “Hazel?” He called. She didn’t respond, collapsing flat onto the beach. She didn’t care who you were, near-death experiences were draining. “HAZEL?!” Her body stiffened at the sheer neediness in his tone, piercing the night with the sharpest of blades, “HAZEL?!”  Oh God. Her heart drummed straight into her throat, slowly pulling herself up, she let her eyes settle on his thrashing silhouette, looking more than perfect with the full moon shining down on him, outlining him with a dull colour. His normal blonde hair seeming silver, fair skin taking on a pale, almost sickly complexion, soaking jean jacket faded to the point it was almost a dark grey, but it looked black from the lack of lighting and heavy water. “LOVE?!” He shouted again, becoming more frantic. For a moment he stopped and she thought he’d given up until she saw him give a little jump, he was planning to dive.

“Would you relax?” She snapped, her tone coming out indifferent, although she was far from. “I’m right here, bloody hell.” he snapped around then to face her, he seemed to stare at her for an extended period of time. Probably deciding wether to rejoice in the fact she was still alive or curse her entire existence. In the end, he slowly waded through the water, effortlessly stepping on the beach as he dripped from head to toe. They stared at each other for a while, no one moving, no one breathing. Hazel let her eyes fall into his seemingly endless pits thoughtlessly, subconsciously running her tongue over her lips. 

“Well...” He spoke after a long silence, “That was fun.”

She gave a short, humourless laugh, not even caring that it came out bitter, “I just love cliff diving to my bloody death.”

“Anything for the thrill,” He agreed robotically. When she didn’t answer, he heaved a heavy sigh, sitting beside her, bringing his knees to his chest and threading his arms across his legs. He gave a low, almost inaudible chuckle, “Our relationship was practically based off that, you know.” At that, she turned her head, watching him with renewed interest. They never talked about their relationship- not the good parts anyway. Only when the arguing got really bad, it was low, they both knew that, but they were both so damned arrogant, it typically led to them showing the other that they couldn’t live without them- proving that although toxic, they were hooked to this drug, of each other. Completely, undeniably, regrettably, deeply in love. 

The drug was toxic, the drug was poisonous, and it was slowly killing them. Yet, at every sign of their inevitable death, they took in more. As if they were racing against the clock, trying to get as much as they could before the drug took it all- he was right. Anything for the thrill. The thrill of his skin against hers, the thrill that surged through her when he threw his head back and laughed whole-heartedly. The thrill that was Zachary Everdeen. The thrill she’d give everything for, including her life.

She didn’t respond, unsure of his reminiscing, she’d probably just mess it up anyway... Best to keep quite in times like these. “You know, that feeling has never subsided. After all these years, I still can’t make up my f*****g mind.” When he didn’t proceed, she nudged him lightly with her elbow, his eyes weren’t on her, but rather the sand that he was drawing rather tentatively on. “I’m constantly torn between strangling you or taking you right there. And I’m not alone,” he added quickly, barely glancing in her general direction, before returning to the sand, “I can see it in your eyes.”

 

Dragging her tongue over her lips, she chose not to speak. She refused to agree to that, but she couldn’t deny it... He was right, after all. This week alone she’d managed about eight different ways to successfully kill him. But every time she had enough gull to act, the light would hit him in a certain way, or he’d walk about without a shirt, and she’d remember why on earth she even put up with him. He was him. He was Zach. And he was hers.

 

“This is how I show my love,” her whole being tensed as he released that deep, smooth voice of his, it wrapped around her core like velvet, instantly sinking into her bones as the touch of rasp seeped through. She bit her lip, hard. refusing to look at him, “I made it in my mind, because. I blame it on my A.D.D. baby.” He paused, waiting for the instruments that were probably beautifully synchronized within his harmonic mind. “This is how an angel dies, I blame it on my own sick pride. Blame it on my A.D.D. baby.” Rendered speechless, she merely listened- awestruck. The unfamiliar warmth pooling into her stomach, she tried to hide the sharp gasp that pierced the air, but seen as the entire universe quieted specifically for the man beside her’s magnetic voice, she figured it was beyond noticeable. She didn’t know why now, after so many years of marriage, but it seemed like right now was the first time she’d actually felt connected with her husband. She was falling in love with him.. For the first time. So what was what they had before? Was it not love? Perhaps it was. Perhaps she just took it for granted. Oh, how she despised that theory. “Maybe I should cry for help, maybe I should-”

“Don’t,” She snapped, “Finish that sentence.” Her eyes were on his now, stealing them from his dazed state, as he pushed past that line.

“Blame it on my A.D.D. baby.” She was quickly finding looking into his eyes to be the one repetitive thing she kept doing- the thing that was backing her into a corner. “Maybe I’m a different breed, maybe I’m not listening-” He had been leaning closer and closer throughout the song, and now his breath fanned over her face. the sarcastic girl was fading into the background, her eyes searching his. Why this song? What was he saying? What was the hidden message? “What’s our problem, love?” He whispered, his voice so soft, so earnest. “What am I doing wrong?”

Her heart nearly shattered at the vulnerability in his tone. She opened her mouth but before she could, his finger was flesh against her lips, sending a current of electricity down her being. She shivered involuntarily. This action didn’t go unnoticed, his eyes darkening, but not leaving hers. Although she could see it, the yearning. “Sing,” he instructed.

Then it clicked. Heaving an annoyed sigh, she rolled her eyes in turn. She didn’t want to sing, she didn’t want to reenact the way they’d met, she wanted to hear him sing until she couldn’t take the simplicity anymore. She wanted to lose herself, so she could find herself, in him. She needed him. the cause of her insanity was now the only thing holding her together. And she needed him. She wanted him. She was his, forever. “I could be in love,” she began, dragging her eyes away from his, hoping that maybe, just maybe, if she focused somewhere else in the dark, then maybe, just maybe, she could find her voice, her balance, maybe her heart would stop threatening to burst through her chest. “If, you wore that dress every day, with your hair just so and your eyes are gray. You’d make a beautiful bird on a line. A beautiful bride of Frankenstein, a beautiful drop of iodine, if you were mine, if you were mine, if you were mine.

“I could be in love if the sun came out every day, set the sky on fire and the city gray, I’d be there at the drop of a dime, if you were mine, if you were mine, if you were mine.”

Instead of letting her suffer as she’d expected, he easily picked up the song, his intoxicating voice forcing her full attention back on him, not that it’d ever really left... “If you were mine I’d tear the altar down of all that I’d lost to romance! If you were mind I’d risk my dignity if only to give love a chance! If you were mine, I’d have the world, I’d have the world, if you were mine.” Oh God, and now she was melting. Melting into his words, melting into him. Her walls, defenses, everything steadily falling, leaving her stripped bare, to the bone, in front of him. He could read everything, he could see everything. And she was terrified. “And I could be in love if the sirens sang every day, you me closer to destiny. Give us this moment to shine, me and my bride of Frankenstein; a beautiful bird on a line. If you were mine, if you were mine, if you were mine.” he stood effortlessly to his graceful feet, bowing slightly at the waist as he extended his right hand, leaving it palm-up in the air. Oh no, she instantly rejected, I don’t dance. Not for you. Not for anyone. No. “Would you be mine?” Came his enchanting voice, filling the air and ringing in her ears. Oh... F**k. “Would you be mine?” She stood robotically, as if she physically couldn’t say no.

Her body naturally fitted to his, placing her arm lightly on his shoulder, his rested on her waist, gently humming to the instruments as he intertwined their fingers. He was suffocating. Dear Lord, she couldn’t breathe. And just when she thought it couldn’t get worse, he jerked her flesh against him and she all but groaned into his chest. “If you were mine, I’d tear the altar down of all that I’d lost to romance, if you were mine I’d risk my dignity if only to give love a chance.” Their bodies moved so naturally together, as if they’d practiced every night, and preformed by day. But they didn’t- they never had an option of their lives. “If you were mine, I’d have the world; I’d have the world, if you were mine. If you were were mine, I’d have the world; I’d have the world if you were mine.” This time his chin came to rest on the top of her head, his humming continuing through the instrumental. And for a second, she found herself cursing fate. Cursing everything. Because if he wasn’t what he was, if none of this even existed, he would be with a lovely girl he actually deserved, he would be a front man somewhere, she just knew it. And he’d be so bloody well famous. She’d give him up for that, for his happiness. It seemed it was the only thing she could give him up for. For him. God, she was so selfish. 

“Oh, if you were mine.” Guilt hit her then at the realization of her situation. Here she was, wrapped up in his arms, no arguing, no fighting. And f**k it all to hell because she was cursing their fate instead of praising it for this moment of complete serenity. If you were mine, I’d have the world, I’d have the world, if you were mine. If you were mine, I’d have the world, I’d have the world, if you were mine. If you were mine.” The weight of his head was lifted and his eyes burrowed into hers, capturing her attention.

Tilting her head to get a better view, he inched his face closer to hers, she froze in anticipation. She couldn’t remember the last time they’d kissed. “If you were mine,” He continued, his voice barely a whisper, “I’d tear the altar down of all that I’d lost to romance, if you were mine I’d risk my dignity if only to give love a chance-;” Before he could finish, her lips were fresh against his, moving together in synchronization as her legs hooked around his waist.

 

 

© 2013 EncoreDeZiza



© 2013 EncoreDeZiza


Author's Note

EncoreDeZiza
Still Editing- Sorry

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on September 3, 2013
Last Updated on September 3, 2013


Author

EncoreDeZiza
EncoreDeZiza

Narnia, Neverland, United Kingdom



About
Oooooo! A visitor!!! Lol, hello lovely, I'm Zi. I guess I should start by saying that I am, in fact, not from the UK, nope. I lied. I'm from the states, I only lied because when I put US down I had a .. more..

Writing