The Evergreen Legacy~ Mr. Landon Davis

The Evergreen Legacy~ Mr. Landon Davis

A Chapter by EncoreDeZiza

The Evergreen Legacy

EncoreDeZiza

Chapter Three

2013

 

The Evergreen Legacy

Chapter Three

 

 

Gritting her teeth at the unjustly loud chatter, Jasper clutched her coffee tightly, wishing she’d magically be met with some aspirin. Or some kind of sleeping pill... Not that she needed one...  “Jas!” She merely groaned in response, dancing through the crowds while trying not to spill any of her coffee. “JAS!” The voice was stronger now, persistent. 

“God! You look like s**t..” That was an alien voice so different to the first one, probably a simple passing in the halls.

She was sure she did, she was very hung over, hadn’t a thing to eat, slept in, and to top it all off her outfit consisted of an old, wrinkled Nirvana band T and dark black skinny jeans that were ripped nearly everywhere. Granted, it was her usual attire, but whereas her typical style included her wild brown hair lose, down, and completely independent, it was pulled up, barely contained in a mess of a bun that sat atop her throbbing head. She was never drinking again, okay; that was a blatant lie, but she wouldn’t do it on Tuesdays... Nope, nope. 

Her teeth scraped her bottom lip, could they make sun glasses that actually worked once in a while? Bloody f*****g hell... “Jas!” The voice was urgent now, and she turned around to see Rye, Siena’s little sister, practically tripping over her own two feet in her desperate attempts to catch up. Feeling sorry for the 5th grader, Jasper turned, crouching in the middle of the corridor, her eyes on the little girl. Well... Until she smacked into something hard, tumbling over, gasping in shock. This had Jasper by her side in seconds, standing protectively over her, her eyes cutting into those all too familiar translucent green ones, “Would you keep that thing on a leash?” He snapped.

Her grip tightened on her thermos, “Do you ever watch where you’re going?” She retorted, “You have the grace of a rock!” 

“Oh you’re one to talk,” He sneered, bitterness dripping from his spiteful tone, it wasn’t like she cared how he acted towards her, which was evident in the resentment that weaved through her own voice, but when he was acting like this in front of children, and being a dick to children, well it became her concern, one of her top concerns. 

“I don’t know what gave you the right to be the king of twats, but it won’t work here- not with me. So how ‘bout you turn that narcissistic arse around and return when you’ve mustered up enough balls to apologize. To the ten year old.” She spat the last three words like poison, and justly so, it was down right disgusting the way he was acting- and to a child, no less. Something flashed across those regretfully beautiful eyes of his, he looked like he had something right on the edge of his tongue, but instead of speaking, he clenched his jaw, muscle flexing, as he spun tightly on his heal and took a determined step away from her. 

 

She scoffed, matching his pace with a long, relentless stride of her own, her hand clasping his arm, and halting all further intentions. “Apologize,” She ground through her clenched teeth.

He whipped around to face her, anger coming off him in waves. Both of them could pass as statues with the tension that radiated off of them, the tension that dwelled within their own bodies as they exchanged one long hate-filled stare, each fighting for dominance over the other, none of them relenting. Oh, if looks could kill..  The sound of shoes scraping the previously quieted hallway, broke them from their power-trance, and that one tiny noise is what caused all hell to break loose. “You’ve got to be the biggest f*****g scum on the earth!” She shrieked, swinging her arms in the air to add dramatic effect.

His nostrils flared, jaw clenching, but her eyes were glued to his, watching the furry swirl in those other wise empty obis. “You don’t know me.” He snapped.

“I know you just bull dozed a bloody kid!”

Bloody? I didn’t leave a scratch on her!”

“You’d be dead if you did!” 

He snorted, taking a step forward to retort directly in her face. She didn’t even have time to wrinkle her nose in distaste, “Oh, I’d love to see you try.”

She smirked, dropping her tone to a sickening honey-sweet one, but her eyes remained deadly, unmoving from his. This was a direct challenge, and when an Everdeen was involved in a challenge in any way whatsoever, there was always blood. Always. “You wouldn’t get the chance.”

His lips twisted into a dark smirk, “Try me.”

Without so much as blinking an eye, she shoved down her boiling hatred. If he pushed her far enough, she’d burn down the school. And, seen as she didn’t even know where her parents were, that wouldn’t be too wise. “You’re not worth my time.” 

He snorted, “Typical Everdeen, I see. Always taking the coward’s way out,” her jaw slammed shut, if possible, her body tensed further as her eyes burned into his. “Always walking out of a fight, always running...” He stood to his full height, taking a step back, adding the last one with a careless, detached tone. “All talk, but you’d never bite- not even if I-” Before he could finish the sentence, her hands had a firm grip on his shoulders, her legs swiftly kicking his out from under him. he hit the floor with a heavy and unwanted thud, he was quick to move, but her foot collided with his shoulders, pushing him back down with little to no effort. Grabbing her leg, he attempted to drag her off him, but her feet were planted firmly, in the stance of a warrior, just as she’d been taught. He seemed generally taken aback and she bent at the knees, smirking down at him.

“If I’m such a bloody coward, America, what’s that make you?” 

His hands were on her waist, hoisting her in the air, as he rolled them on the ground, giving her a satisfied smirk as he hovered over her, “Your superior.”

She cocked her head, “Does it?” The arrogance and pride hadn’t left his eyes and she found it a perfect time to snatch her thermos from the ground, with one hand against his shoulder, she dumped the steaming liquid over his head, pushing off his shoulder, propelling her body away from the chaos, she didn’t hesitate to find her footing, smirking down at him triumphantly. Shaking the coffee from his hair, he glanced up at her, his jaw setting, but there was something in his eyes that hadn’t been there before... Something that she couldn’t, for the life of her, recognize. 

 

Suddenly remembering Rye on the floor, Jasper crossed the corridor, eyes on the little girl who scrambled to her feet. Dropping into a crouch, Jasper gave her a warm smile, tucking a strand of bright red hair behind the little girl’s ear, “You alright, sweet heart?” 

She nodded numbly before stepping forward and throwing her arms over her saviour. “Thank you,”

Jasper wrapped her arms around her in response, swinging the girl in a circle as she stood. The girl let lose a series of mad giggles, until Jasper finally set her gently to her feet, her hand engulfing Rye’s as she smiled lovingly at her, “Now. Let’s go find your sister.”

The little girl beamed, “She’s right over there,” Following her pointed finger, Jasper’s eyes settled on their rather wide audience, there was no stopping the blush that spread over her cheeks. How much did they see.....?

Quito just evolved from no where, thrusting his arms around her and laughing loudly, wordlessly confirming her worst fears. They’d seen it all. All of it. Well... S**t.

 

 

 

© 2013 EncoreDeZiza

With one last look over her shoulder, she shoved open the heavy metal doors, instead of stepping forward as was her usual routine, she found herself routed in spot. On the old wooden stage was a fastly moving body, masculine, his movements crisp, sharp, guarded. She couldn’t tell who it was, but her curiosity faded into complete and total awe as she watched his graceful movements. She barely heard the music in the background, Chevelle’s song ‘I Get It’ blasting from the school’s abandoned speakers. The metal door swung back, smashing into her still frame, still, her eyes refused to leave the mysterious man before her. She was completely transfixed, and after the chorus hit, she was certain she was addicted. 

His body whipped around to face front, immediately halting as he noticed her for the first time. She couldn’t see him in the poorly lit stage, but she smiled broadly all the same, enthusiastically clapping her hands and whistling. Somewhere in the middle of all this, his loud, booming laughter echoed through the auditorium, and he bent swiftly at the waist, bowing, earning some of her laughter as well. Although the wordless humour was fun, she found her mind drifting back to his movements, the ease he had was incredible- for a human, at least. Needless to say, she craved more. her eyes pleading with her mouth- just ask. She yelled at herself, Damn it, just ask. She opened her mouth before the small pool of light she’d created dimmed, “What are you doing?” Came a more than concerned voice behind her, slowly she turned, frowning at her friend. Slowly, she opened her mouth, but Siena grabbed her arm, roughly jerking her from the room. “Don’t go in there this hour again.”

Snorting, she pulled out of her grasp, planting her feet firmly in the corridor, crossing her arms defiantly over her chest. Oh yeah, she was definitely an Everdeen. “Why not?” There was an edge to her tone when she spoke, one she didn’t understand.

Because,” Siena snapped, turning around to glare wildly at her. Jasper’s jaw locked as she took in her friends expression. She didn’t know what exactly it was, but she was hiding something. Suddenly, her eyes lightened, almost by force, and a tight smile spread across her lips, “We still on for tonight?”

“No.” Jasper replied flatly, shoving past her. She was nearly to the corner when she spun back around, finding her friend still routed to her spot, “And I will be returning.” She didn’t even wait for a response, turning the corner before smacking into an unexpected solid thing. Taking a step back, she opened her mouth to apologize before finding herself staring into that annoyingly familiar pair of translucent green eyes. Her shock faded, leaving nothing but annoyance in its wake. She glared up at him, noticing the sweat that seemed to pour from him. “Oh gross.. You weren’t-” She cut off, eyes drifting to the open bathroom doors behind him, “That is so unsanitary!” 

He rolled his eyes, “I didn’t have sex in the bathrooms, Everdeen.”

Her eyes narrowed, “Then what were you doing?”

His body stiffened in response, every muscle contrasting, “None of your business.”

She didn’t even try hiding the hatred that flashed in her eyes at his edgy tone. It seemed she was quick to anger around him, because she found her brain clouded with hysteria, “Of course it’s my business!” She snapped, throwing her arms mindlessly in the air, “You’re polluting my air with your man stink!” There was a slight tug in his lips as he stared down at her, successfully killing her rant as her mind completely blanked. She just stared up at him stupidly, but none of them moved. No one blinked, no one spoke, they just stood, staring at each other. 

 

She jumped at the sound of her vibrating phone, and hastily answered, “What?” She snapped. As if awakening from a deep sleep, the american blinked a few times, his posture straightening as he cleared his throat.

“Never let me catch you answering the phone like that again, young lady. if you turn out like your father, so help me God-”

“Hey!” Came a familiar voice in the background.

Jasper merely rolled her eyes,  “Where have you been?”

“We were hoping you could have someone come pick us up,” her mother replied, she could practically see her nibbling on her lip as she spoke.

“Pick you up?” Jasper repeated with a sigh, “Where?”

She hesitated, “Well... We... Uh.. Don’t exactly know.”

Jasper groaned, dragging her hand down her face in exasperation, “You don’t know?” Her mother gave a nervous laugh and Jasper’s eyes bulged, “WHAT DID YOU DO?!?!”

“Just come get us, honey. We’re not in trouble, I promise.”

Suspicion seeped through her voice as she answered, “Can’t you call someone else? I’m at school, you know the place where I’m supposed to be learning.”

“You answered your phone, didn’t you?” She suppressed a groan at her father’s intruding voice, he always talked her into everything

“But-”

“Look, grab whoever’s closest and come down here.” Her eyes settled on the American who was staring down at her with profound interest. 

“Um.. No.”

“I’m not asking, love. I’m telling you. This isn’t going to be a job for three people, we need more. So grab whoever the lucky fool is with you and get here.”

“I don’t even know where-” But she was cut off as the line went dead. She groaned loudly, tucking her phone into her pocket.

“Boyfriend?” The american mused.

She glared at him, ruthlessly snatching his sleeve and dragging him behind her, “Come on.”

 

 

She’d barely closed the door to her car when she was hounded with questions. “God,” She mumbled, rubbing her temples whilst glaring at the american. “Shut up.”

He glared down at her from across the car, “We’ve stopped in the middle of no where.”

“The GPS said they were here.” She retorted bitterly. Screw coffee, screw not drinking on weekends, she was so done.

He looked around scornfully, “And again, we’re in the middle of-”

“Shut up!” 

He scoffed, but remained silent as her eyes wandered, soon her body followed, pressing redial and listening intently to the nothingness that surrounded them. He snorted again, “Your friends must be a bunch of retards i-” 

She whirled around, “For your information, that your not entitled to, mind you, we’re not here for my friends. Okay? We’re not. So f**k off.”

He scoffed, “You put someone before your friends, Ms. Everdeen? How unusual.”

Don’t talk like you know anything about me,” She hissed, stepping forward subconsciously. She wanted to kill him, she wanted to drive her fist through that dangerously inflated head of his until there was nothing but a bloody stump. “Don’t talk about my friends, and don’t ever insult my family like you did this morning.”

“Truth hurts.”

“Keep talking out of your a*s, you won’t have one.”

“Talk, talk, talk”

She couldn’t do it, she couldn’t control herself, lunging through the air and tackling him to the ground, her hands secured tightly around his neck, his eyes went wide before fading into that of amusement as he grabbed her waist just before they started to roll down the unpleasantly long hill.

 

In the end, it was an unfairly large tree that stopped their little adventure. They’d separated upon impact, before tumbling their separate ways onto an unknown burning surface. She groaned as a heavy weight collapsed on top of her. “You’ve got to be kidding...” She hissed, he chuckled, pushing himself up so he was hovering over her.

“Still your superior.” She gave him a sickly sweet smile before bringing her knee into his balls. His eyes widened, breath hitching, but he didn’t clutch the item as preferred. He stayed still, a little too still, but still, nonetheless. “That,” He gasped, “Was a low blow.”

“Yes, well, you still haven’t moved.” She concluded with undeniable disappointment. He smirked down at her, but before he could reply or she could pry his body from hers, they were interrupted by a masculine hand, dangling in front of Jasper’s face. 

The chuckle that followed the movement had her naming the man instantly. “Any one who gives her a hard time is welcome by me.” Without looking away from her eyes, he grabbed the hand and was hauled to his feet. Jasper stood, grumbling, dusting the dust off her jeans. It wasn’t until then that she’d identified their new flooring as sand. her head shot up instantly, taking in the scene before her, 

“A beach?” she asked, tearing the boys from their chat.

Her uncle merely shrugged, “I got this weird call from Haze..” Jasper nodded knowingly, urging him to continue. “But when I got here they were gone.”

She glowered at her uncle, “So you’re telling me, that they called me, took me from school, just so I could fall down a very unnecessary hill, while they laughed from God knows where.”

Her uncle brought his eyebrows together in question, “Why didn’t you just use the road?” He asked, moving ever so slightly so she could see the parking lot off the beach. 

She groaned as the american laughed. “Shut up.” She snapped.

Chris grinned, “What’s your name, son?”

“Landon Davis,”

At the name, Chris’ eyes faltered. it was hard to notice, if you hadn’t been raised been him, so she figured the action was a complete loss to Landon, who’s name she’d just learnt. However, her mind was elsewhere, watching her uncle with suspicion. He knew Landon, or at least the last name Davis. Either way, he wasn’t particularly thrilled with the reunion. Her eyes slid to Landon’s brilliantly grinning face and her stomach jerked. If he didn’t know that Chris knew him, his death would be full of unbearable fear and the worst imaginable pain. Still, Chris managed a wistful smile with ease, intensifying the sickening not in her stomach, “So how do you know my little Jasper?”

Panic rose in her chest, she had to save him. She had to. She threw her arm over his shoulder casually, a dark, challenging tint obvious in her eyes as she looked her uncle head on, “He’s my boyfriend.”

His eyes snapped to hers, with an intense emotion somewhere between shock and betrayal. She shoved her own shock aside, storing it deep within her, too deep for anyone to reach, as she continued to challenge her uncle. And again, classic Everdeen, acting on impulse.

 

 

 

© 2013 EncoreDeZiza



© 2013 EncoreDeZiza


Author's Note

EncoreDeZiza
Still under editing---- sorry, lovelies

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on September 3, 2013
Last Updated on September 3, 2013


Author

EncoreDeZiza
EncoreDeZiza

Narnia, Neverland, United Kingdom



About
Oooooo! A visitor!!! Lol, hello lovely, I'm Zi. I guess I should start by saying that I am, in fact, not from the UK, nope. I lied. I'm from the states, I only lied because when I put US down I had a .. more..

Writing