A not so Happy Fathers Day

A not so Happy Fathers Day

A Chapter by Evil_Angel
"

I may continue this as a book i may not lol...was just an idea i had last night.

"
Kent Whitlock

"Happy� Fathers Day Mr. Whitlock," the Sous Chef of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse greeted personally.
Kent looked up only with his dark green eyes to give his response. Somehow without his expression changing, he piercingly glared at world renowned chef. "Chateau Margaux 1995," Kent ordered flawlessly.
        "Of course, I remember your father ordering that. Would you like anything to-,"
        "Just the wine," Kent cut him off.
        "Right," he nodded.
        Kent gazed around and as usual everyone was staring at him. He was used to this type of attention. His father Kenneth Whitlock used to be the most prestigious real estate tycoon in Los Angeles. He designed and built several Hollywood homes, many of which were custom made for celebrities. With Kenneth's photo posted all over Hollywood, the Whitlock family had become something of celebrities themselves. If Kent ever made a rare appearance in a Hollywood night club or restaurant, it would be on the front page of the newspaper the next day without fail. His male model looks seemed to help too.
Kent loosened his Hugo Boss white tie a little bit to take some of the edge off of the eyes beginning to pierce through him. Couldn't they stare at something else? Normally it didn't faze him one bit, but he knew they weren't just staring because of his presence there.
About a month ago Kenneth Whitlock had a stroke and passed away unexpectedly. He was only sixty two years old and had left his son with everything, which was more of a burden than it seemed. While Kent was quite knowledgeable in real estate, the business of running the company his father built from the ground was a lot of pressure for a twenty three year old that had never worked before. Losing his father had left him numb. Today, Fathers Day was the first time he was starting to feel something again, and so he went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in L.A., his father's favorite restaurant.
Not a man who often felt self-conscious, Kent just wanted to get the nine hundred dollar bottle of wine, immerse himself in the light-weight black cherry flavor, and forget about torturing himself by coming here. Finally, for what seemed like hours, but in reality were only a few quick minutes, Kent saw a flash dark red hair and a silver platter for the wine from the corner of his eye, but didn't bother looking up from the Blackberry he had begun playing with to avoid having to look up at judgmental stares.
"Here you go Sir," the woman carefully took the bottle off the tray pouring it into the wine glass carefully.
Kent still didn't bother to look up.
"It's such a nice day today, perfect Fathers Day weather," the waitress babbled on while pouring. Her long hair brushed Kent's wrist, and she tucked it behind her eye. "I haven't seen this place so busy since- oh no! Oh s**t!" she shrieked as she lost her balance of the large bottle. The dark purple almost black liquid spilled across the white table cloth, and splattered onto Kent's white tie and onto his Blackberry instantly breaking it. That certainly caused him to look up.
"I am so sorry!" the waitress apologized over and over, grabbing a rag out of her pocket to try and clean the mess.
Kent would have said something to express his irritation, but he was dumbfounded, and it was not by having cold wine spilled all over his lap. He watched as the girl frantically tried to wipe the table off and cease the substance from dripping over the edge onto the floor. Her hazel darted frantically around trying to find a solution to amend her mistake. She didn't notice Kent studying her. She was very tan unlike a normal redhead, although she didn't have the orange freckly look of a normal redhead either. He couldn't help wonder what nationality she was, and if that deep auburn hair that reminded him of autumn, his favorite season, was her natural color.
        "Erica!" Chef Boyardee tore off across the room, as if he was about to attack her. If only half the room was staring before, now absolutely everyone, even some prissy dog in a lady's purse was staring.
        "Do you realize you just spilled a thousand dollar bottle of wine all over one of our most favored clients?" he questioned calmly, but you could see the steam escaping from his ears.
"I..," the nearly in tears waitress attempted.
        "You are an idiot. That is what you are. Don't even think about getting paid this week. That wine is coming out of your paycheck."
        "But you don't even pay me that much!" she protested almost laughing.
        "Get out of my sight," he hissed aware that he was causing a scene. "My deepest apologies Mr. Whitlock, the girl is a dimwit. Don't know why I hired her."
Kent nodded following her with his eyes as she ran to the back. He could tell she was doing her best not to cry.
"Would you like another bottle Sir? It is on us of course."
"No thank you," Kent stood up from his seat not making eye contact with the Chef, and watched as the kitchen door swung shut. Stuffing his demolished Blackberry into his pocket, Kent walked past everyone, and made his way after her, not caring less about the sign that said Employees Only. The cooks looked up from their work surprised to see a customer in the back, and Kent Whitlock of all people.
At first Kent couldn't find her, but when he looked down he saw her crouched on the floor predictably in tears. She looked up surprised, and quickly wiped away the lines of mascara that had fallen down her face.
"I'm so sorry," she apologized again. The door swung open again, and the chef looked curiously at Kent.
"Sir was there something you needed? Erica, apologize to this man right now," he ordered.
"I'm--,"
"She already apologized. Several times," Kent cut her off before she could say sorry again.
        "Oh I see. We will deal with her don't worry," the chef assured.
        "That's not necessary. And as for the money, you don't need to take it out of her paycheck either."
        "But Sir, the bottles cost over a grand each, she spilled it everywhere, it is her fault, therefore she doesn't get any reimbursement for this week."
        Kent fished into his pocket and pulled out a checkbook and a pen. "How much is it exactly?" he asked ready to write down the sum.
        "But sir-,"
        "Well, how much?" Kent repeated.
"Nine hundred and sixty seven dollars."
Kent chuckled and rolled his eyes at the chump change figure, and quickly wrote the check and signed it, handing it to the Chef.
"Always a pleasure Sir," the Chef replied with a phony smile.
Before Kent turned around to leave, he took one last look at the frazzled waitress, how had now stood up and was staring in shock at the gesture. "You're welcome", he mumbled, as he left the kitchen, and quickly paced out of the building.
He was about to ask the valet driver to fetch his car, when the girl came running out after him.
"Wait!" she called. "You didn't need to do that, really!"
"Do you think he's really going give me the check back? He's an a*****e, just look at it this way, you get to keep your job," Kent replied nearly stumbling over the words after taking a third glance at her.
"That was, just really unnecessary, and really kind," she shook her head still in surprise.
"Hard to believe I know. We Whitlock's actually have souls," he replied sarcastically.
"I didn't mean-,"
        "I know I'm kidding. Chill out, you already spilled wine all over me," He laughed as she blushed darker than her hair.
        "Seriously, I can buy you a new tie," she offered.
        "I don't think we shop at the same places, but thanks anyway," he replied condescendingly without realizing it.
        "Since I'm just a waitress right?"        
        "And not a very good one I might add," Kent stated.
        "If you look down on me so much, why did you pay all that money for a bottle of wine that I spilled on you?" she challenged.
        "Chump change sweetheart."
        "Yuck, I am not your sweetheart. Oh I know what it is! You think you can buy me just because of who are right?"
        "Yes that's it. I really wanted you to spill wine all over my now broken Blackberry so I could impress you by writing a check to that prick boss of yours. Oh wait, weren't you the one that ran after me?"
        "Yes, but it was only so I could tell you that I don't need your money!"
        "Apparently you do," he said pointing down at her tattered black shoes.
        "Well sorry that I can't just mooch off of daddy like you!" she shot back in defense.
        He paused at the statement, realizing that she probably didn't know about the death of his father, but it was still insulting. He assumed that everyone always knew everything about him. It would be strange having to explain his life for the first time.
        "Do you see my dad here?"
        "No, but,"
        "That's right. It's Father's Day but you are not going to see him. Do you know why? Because he's dead," he finished before she could answer.        
"Kent, I'm sorry."
"Don't talk to me like you know me. Go back inside, waitress," he pointed towards the door.
"My name is Erica."
"It's waitress to everyone in there. You're boss, me, and anyone who matters. It's just waitress."
        "I should have aimed for your crotch when I spilled," she muttered turning around going back inside.
        Kent rolled his eyes, and got into his Porsche GT Carrera, enjoying the smooth ride while knowing Erica, waitress, whatever, would have to work her finger to the bone to probably earn rent money for some lousy apartment. Well one thing was for sure, she was one of the prettiest girls he ever laid eyes on, and he knew money couldn't pay for that. Not naturally at least.


© 2008 Evil_Angel


Author's Note

Evil_Angel
I know the descriptions suck right now, but was just doing a quick rough draft, tell me if it intrigues you at all :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hmmm.. nice intro though. I can't help reading it out of curiosity and I am challenged by Kent's attitude. I wonder if I can meet somebody like him who would like my hair but tries to deny it because of his status. Hahhah!!! Just me, thinking out loud. Hahahah!! Yeah, right! I just wish. :D

Nice one though! Love it.. :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Aj
if it is a rough draft its a good one..my rough drafts suck on ice...
again there are a few typo's but f**k'em (excuse my language)
you would need to correct them if it bothers you or to hush people...
I want more!!i'm always astounded that i'm captivated by a writing genre i dont usually read

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Intrigues? Definitely! It is as much Kent's arrogance as it is Erica's attempts to make things right. More!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was reading this so I could judge my contest, and this has to be one of my personal favorites. If you had better descriptions (and perhaps longer chapters in general), this would be an extremely good story, with plenty of potential.

Keep up the great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, I do think that this has definate potential. And there are guys like Kent out there, rich (jerk) guys. It would be interesting to see how he changes over time by getting to know Erica. Good chapter!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hmmm.. nice intro though. I can't help reading it out of curiosity and I am challenged by Kent's attitude. I wonder if I can meet somebody like him who would like my hair but tries to deny it because of his status. Hahhah!!! Just me, thinking out loud. Hahahah!! Yeah, right! I just wish. :D

Nice one though! Love it.. :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

631 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 15, 2008


Author

Evil_Angel
Evil_Angel

San Diego, CA



About
Sunset Fire is #2 most read book on here! Woot! Lets101 Quizzes - Blog Quiz Which Disney Princess Are You?AuroraYou're a tired old thing aren`t you? We first came under Aurora`s spell in Sleep.. more..

Writing
Happy Birthday Happy Birthday

A Chapter by Evil_Angel


Long Gone Long Gone

A Book by Evil_Angel