Like a Kid at Disneyland

Like a Kid at Disneyland

A Chapter by Evil_Angel
"

Erica sees Kents house (well the outside) and is amazed. Shes isnt allowed inside yet lol, i kind of write that as a metaphor to kents feeelings. Anyway enjoy!

"
Like a Kid at Disneyland


"Which way am I going?"

"The Colony."

"You live in Malibu?" Erica asked impressed. Then again she was impressed by anything that wasn't her house.

Kent didn't answer so Erica continued. "That's my favorite place in California. Marc has a place all picked out in Beverley Hills, and while it's gorgeous nothing beats living right on the ocean."

Kent continued to stare blankly out the window, looking like he was trying his best to keep his eyes open.

"I'm so sorry he said that," Erica apologized taking his hand for a brief moment when they reached a red light. He turned around surprised, then placed his elbow on the console of the car resting his chin on his hand.

"Don't apologize for something you didn't do. Honestly it's no big deal, he does that when he's drunk. I won't be surprised when he does that to you too. Maybe it is a good idea that you keep all those secrets from him after all, he likes using them against you for some reason."

"I thought you two were best friends? Why would he say all that?" Erica asked confused.

"Because his own father is a prick. Not absentee like mine was, but still a prick. He favors his older brother Harrison over him and makes it very obvious. He likes to bring up bad times of mine to cover up his own," Kent explained quite insightfully. "He's been doing it since we were kids, usually I can tolerate it. Today I'm just�too tired."

"Did you know that when you are really tired like the way you are now, it means your depressed? Kent, I think you should talk to someone about all this, it must be so hard."

"I don't think I'm depressed, I'll be fine I just want to go to bed. Feel free to speed up, I always go fast even with cops, and they never seem to care."

"Probably because its such a cool car." With that she indulged in speeding around windy Malibu Canyon Road until they reached the colony. Kent reached out the window to type in the gate code to the enormous community, as the doors slowly opened he could see Erica's face beginning to light up. This must have been unreal to her, he would have smiled if he had the energy.

She pulled in slowly, and started to drive like an old lady as she took in the beautiful ocean scenery.

"This is gorgeous!" she exclaimed looking out the window.

"Yeah I guess. My house is right there," Kent pointed.

"That is your house," Erica's jaw dropped in shock. The house, or mansion as he should have called it was by far the nicest one out of the row of other beach houses. She could see the reflection of the ocean painted onto the multistory mirrored windows. Unlike the other houses which had enormous front porches, Kent's had a smaller porch but it was surrounded by a lush garden of deep purple plumerias, white calla lilies, and orange orchids, all embedded in numerous ferns greener than she'd ever seen. As if the garden wasn't enough, the ultra modern architecturally perfect home stood on top of a four car garage which was twice as big as Erica's apartment alone.

"You look like a kid at Disneyland," Kent noted trying his best to maintain his melancholy, but had a hard time as he watched her eagerly looking around at every little detail.

"Good God," she blurted pulling up to the marble paved driveway. Not taking her eyes off the amazing sight, she stepped onto the pavement and frowned at how warm her feet felt. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, but with the chilly ocean breeze rushing across the beach she found it strange that the driveway was so warm.

"It's heated," Kent answered noticing her puzzlement.

"It's heated? The driveway is heated." she repeated to make sure she had heard right. "My damn apartment is hardly heated!"

"If you act this excited around Marc you must surely give yourself away," Kent stated.

"Well, I do keep my enthusiasm to a minimum, but if Marc were here it would still be impossible. This place is amazing Kent! I would live in the garden alone! Who created it? Look at all the details, the plants, the flowers! Maybe I'll marry them instead," she gushed jokingly.

"That's nothing," Kent chuckled. Erica eyed him suspiciously. What did he mean that was nothing? The beach house didn't seem to have a backyard except for the pool she could visibly see through the glass fence.

"Thank you for driving me. Not that I needed it."

"Yeah, yeah you didn't need it," Erica laughed. Why not let him have his pride? "You're welcome. Again I'm so sorry-,"

"What did I tell you about apologies? There's no need for them."

"Ok," Erica nodded knowing it was probably best she didn't remind him of the things Marc said anyway.

"Well, goodbye," Kent was about to saunter across the driveway to the front door, but then saw Erica's eyes go from childlike excitement to puppy dog eye pleading.

"What�," Kent frowned.

"Nothing! Never mind!"

"Oh, you want to see inside," Kent realized.

"No, no go get your rest," Erica shook her head.

"Admit it."

"Well yes, I'm definitely curious. It's so beautiful on the outside, it makes me wonder if everything is as beautiful on the inside, or even more beautiful, if that's possible," she said finding herself distracted by Kent's green eyes that looked even greener than the ferns.

"What do you like so much about it? Just cause it's a bigger house then yours?" Kent asked curiously.

"No, that's not it. I love how it doesn't look so cold, like a typical L.A. house. Yours actually looks like a home. It doesn't look like one big slab of cement, it looks like so much intricate work was put into it, especially the garden," Erica explained. "That's what makes me want to look inside of it."

"I see," Kent nodded. "Maybe someday I'll let you in, but right now it's a mess. I don't know if it will ever look right again, I just haven't cared that much."

"It will," Erica answered sympathetically, not sure what they were talking about anymore. "I'll leave you to your rest, even though its four in the afternoon," she laughed.

"Thanks. Hey don't bug Marc to apologize or anything, he's getting married he's got enough to worry about."

"Hey getting married to me isn't that bad, I don't think. Anyway I can't believe he did that, but sure I understand. Goodbye Kent, feel better ok?"

"Thanks, goodbye."

Kent turned around and walked back to the house still laughing to himself about her wide eyed excitement over everything. He wondered if he really would let her inside one day, and knew she'd be even more amazed by the elaborate interior.

Once he reached his bedroom, shut the automatic blinds and laid down, he couldn't fall asleep even with all the emotional exhaustion he was hit with during lunch. There was just one persisting question in his mind that kept him awake, which was: Why he hadn't told her he was actually the one who created the garden?

He rolled over onto his side hoping to sleep for years. She probably wouldn't believe it anyway.


© 2008 Evil_Angel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love this chapter...I'm curious to know what's going to happen. You're a very good writer...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ahhh ha! I'm glad it was his garden and not his creepy Dad's. I see foreshadowing.... :) I loved both these new chapters, very good stuff.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

488 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2008


Author

Evil_Angel
Evil_Angel

San Diego, CA



About
Sunset Fire is #2 most read book on here! Woot! Lets101 Quizzes - Blog Quiz Which Disney Princess Are You?AuroraYou're a tired old thing aren`t you? We first came under Aurora`s spell in Sleep.. more..

Writing
Happy Birthday Happy Birthday

A Chapter by Evil_Angel


Long Gone Long Gone

A Book by Evil_Angel