Freedom of the Damned

Freedom of the Damned

A Story by Ian Titian
"

Hatred, anger, violence, death, revolution ... are all such causes of war and rebellion against unwelcome foreign occupation under cruel dictatorship. This is a tale of such war and rebellion.

"

Prologue

“It’s been far too long now...” Muttered Captain Frederick Roswell as he walked back and forth in front of the little army he had assembled, consisting of about 280 Cemarican civilians, standing in rows of 20 wide, 14 long.

Apart from the sound of his footsteps and the rustling of the leaves of the trees above their heads, it was completely silent. Each and every man had their eyes locked forward, their arms behind their backs, and their mouths sealed shut.

“Too long has our country not enjoyed peace. Too long has the good people of our country, our brothers and our family not enjoyed the freedom they so deserve, and most importantly, too long has those damn Jeradium officers, with their goddamn soldiers ruled over us! Abused us! And treated us like trash! Correct!?” Said Captain Frederick in a very loud, and charismatic voice as he stopped his march.

“Sir, yes sir!” Answered all of the men in harmony.

“Good. Now, I have gathered you all today, to inform you good folks ... of our plan. The very plan that if we succeed, will grant us freedom, peace, and happiness!” Said Captain Frederick while continuing his march.

“ As we all know there are three important bases in our capital set up by Jeradia, and the main objective of our plan, is of course, to destroy these three buildings into bits and pieces. Every single one of them, and if we possibly can, kill all the Jeradian top ranking officers currently occupying our capital. JC (Jeradium Colonel) Lando Hanschwertisch currently stationed in our capital building, JAC (Jeradium Assistant Colonel) Hans Willhematz, also stationed in our capital building, JGC (Jeradium Guard Captain) Norwick Esteban stationed in the great prison of Carmon City (the capital of Cemarica), as well as POW captains Ren. Nerschwatz, and A. Fergusons.”

Captain Frederick stopped for a second time and looked directly at his soldiers before saying, “And we cannot forget, the current leader of our capital, the great dictator himself, Aldo Ferschwitstein.”

Some of the soldiers gulped at hearing the name alone. Captain Frederick even observed the sweat roll down on one of his front row soldiers’cheeks the second the name Aldo Ferschwitstein was uttered.

“Of course, none of us, I doubt, would ever be able to forget, let alone forgive, the atrocities that he had commited. His massacre of our brothers as he brought his army down to settle in our country. His genocide of our own flesh and blood siblings, and the cruelty that he has forced upon us. He was cruel to us, he is cruel to us, and we will treat him and his men with the same kind of cruelty. We will kill them all, and we will bring his army down. Sound good?” Asked Captain Frederick in his loud voice.

“YES SIR!” Answered all of the soldiers in harmony immediately.

“Good.” Said Captain Frederick as a smile spread on his face. “Now then, let’s kick some Jeradium sons of b*****s.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{Chapter 1

Captain frederick’s back story Part i

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Frederick Roswell just stood there by his friends and colleagues, citizens of Carmon city, as the Jeradium soldiers passed in front of them.

About ninety Jeradium guards led by JGC Norwick Esteban marched in front, escorting a man, dressed in full Jeradium Great General outfit, riding on a black limosine, standing, looming over the citizens with his right hand raised above his head. The Jeradium salute. The right hand raised with the index and middle finger along with the thumb open, and the other two fingers clasped. The name of the Jeradium Great General? Aldo Ferschwitstein.

Aldo Ferschwitstein was not a pleasant man to look at, thought Frederick Roswell. He had a half-moon scar along the left side of his left eye, and another scar right below the right side of his lower lip. His mouth, was always clenched in a frown, never once had the man been seen smiling. Not once.

Also riding on the limosine, standing beside JGG Aldo Ferschwitstein, also giving the Jeradium salute, was JC Lando Hanschwertisch.

Lando Hanschwertisch, in physical appearance, was very different from Aldo Ferschwitstein. While Aldo Ferschwitstein had a large and powerful, menacing built with a broad chest, curt and serious face adorned with scars, and a bald head always covered in his signature Jeradium hat, Lando Hanschwertisch was tall yet skinny, with a face that’s the complete opposite of Aldo’s.

Smiling. Lando Hanschwertisch was almost always smiling warmly, so much so in fact, that his smile became his signature look. Also the complete opposite of Aldo, Lando’s face was clean shaven and pale white, his bright blue eyes being the center of attention.

He was  famous in Jeradia for his charismatic personality and charm, but his infamy was spread internationally.

Tales of his ruthlessness and sadistic ways of torturing enemy soldiers during the war were spread across the whole nation of Jeradia, but the people ignored it, and chose to remember and respect him as the charismatic leader that he was instead of his true nature as the brutal commander.

His smile that can be so comforting to the good and law-abiding citizens of Jeradia however, at the same time can be so menacing, and twisted to his enemies, for he always wore it, heartlessly,even as he witnessed as the most ghastly of punishments were executed upon enemies of his nation, under his command. His smile and bright blue eyes would often be described as shining, in the face of his enemies as they die a horrible death.

Words of his infamy had earned him the nickname ‘The Smiling Devil’.

 

The citizens of Carmon city just watched in fear as both figures passed in front of them on their very own street, demanding them to salute back.

A few citizens, including Frederick Roswell and a couple of his friends on the left side of the main street, at first, refused to return the salute, but as soon JC Lando flashed his shining blue eyes and his devilish smile at them, all forced their hands to salute at once.

All, except Captain Frederick Roswell, who stayed undeterred and unintimidated by Lando’s sharp look. He merely nodded, with both arms still firmly crossed in front of his shoulders. The Jeradium Colonel simply squinted and sharpened his eyes before turning away.

Behind the limosine, were about one hundred more soldiers, led by JAC Hans Willhematz, accompanied by Jeradium Captains Adam Fergusons, and Renaldo Nerschwatz.

JAC Hans Willhematz was a another notorious Jeradium officer, famous for his cold blooded and piercing eyes, his mouth, which if not shut firmly, is smiling devilishly together with JC Lando, and his brutal and heartless execution of numerous enemy soldiers during the war, executed under Lando’s command.

The man had been described as completely wicked and heartless, obeying JC Lando’s commands without a second thought every single time. His tight expression was infamous, and even in his homeland in Jeradia, unlike JC Lando, he was despised, mainly for his cruelty and overly strict ruling of the towns that he watch over. Whenever JC Lando would come in and stop JAC Hans Willhematz from being overly cruel, he would be hailed a hero.

While JC Lando would smile at the sight of the execution of his enemies, JAC Hans would be the one personally monitoring said executions. His devoted loyalty to JC Lando had earned him the nickname ‘The Devil’s Pitchfork’.

Captain Frederick Roswell just watched with hatred, his teeth clenching intensely as the Jeradium soldiers continued their march towards the podium set in front of the city’s capital building.

The hundreds of soldiers occupied the main street in front of the podium, watched over by Jeradium Captains Norwick Esteban, Adam Fergusons, and Renaldo Nerschwatz.

Climbing onto the podium, was JGG Aldo Ferschwitstein, JC Lando Hanschwertisch, and JAC Hans Willhematz. Also, on the podium was the president of Cemarica himself, President J. Abraham, his vice-president, as well as the governor of North Cemarica, and the mayor of Carmon city.

Captain Frederick just continued looking on with hate as the president of his own country honorarily gave the right of ruling to JGG Aldo Ferschwitstein, thus at that very point making him the official ruler of all Cemarica.

After giving his long speech, all citizens of Cemarica were ordered to give an honorary salute to their new leader, but Frederick, as urged as he was by his friends near him, just maintained his position and instead, even spat on the ground.

The sound of his spit were fortunately for him, unheard of, given that all the other citizens were cheering unwillingly for their new leader, the dictator Aldo Ferschwitstein.

“Hail our new ruler, hail the Great General Aldo Ferschwitstein.” Cheered all the people under tight pressure from the hundreds of armed Jeradium guards standing amidst them all, in the main street in the middle of the crowd. Loud as they may be, to the ears of rebellious and spiteful citizens such as Frederick, the sound of unwillingness just echoed in the crowds’ voice.

 

The only one who seemed to notice Captain Frederick’s stubborness and rebellious nature at that point was apparently JC Lando Hanschwertisch, who, since the very beginning seemed to have had an eye for him.

Captain Frederick, also, replied JC Lando’s sharp and piercing look with his own. With his dark brown eyes, the scar on the left side of his cheek and his neck, as well as his thin yet sharp moustache, giving him an overall rebellious look, one could say his brave and penetrating look is even as powerful as JC Lando’s himself.

Following the ceremony that came after Aldo Ferschwitstein’s speech, the two stared each other down for a few seconds before the crowd was dismissed and ordered to go home.

Captain Frederick and a few of his friends immediately regrouped and disappeared from the eyes of the Jeradium guards while the other citizens were still moving around in the crowd.

“Over here.” Said Landa, one of Captain Frederick’s colleagues as he led him and four other men through the crowd. They managed to slip out of the capital center through one of the back alleys.

Before disappearing through the alley, Frederick looked back one more time to make sure that no Jeradium guards was following them. To his relief, JC Lando and the other officers were still busy talking to the new dictator, ruler, and former Great General Aldo Ferschwitstein. The soldiers were also quite busy themselves, handling the crowd.

Frederick nodded to his friends before following them through the back alley.

Landa led Captain Frederick and his four other friends to his house, where he was greeted by his nervous wife, “Landa, thank goodness. No Jeradium guards are following you right?” She asked nervously.

“No ma’am.” Said Frederick with a nod. “I’ve made sure of that.”

“Let’s keep it at that and go inside, quick.” Hushed Landa as he led the men inside his home.

Frederick’s shoes creaked on the wooden floor loudly. He was startled as a rat scurried past his foot. Landa’s home was not exactly what one would call a well-groomed household. In fact, the location of his house in the slums was the perfect location for the randezvous that Captain Frederick had planned since his knowledge of JGG Aldo Ferschwitstein’s coming.

Landa led the men into the back room where took out a key, pushed aside the rug on the floor, and ducked down to open a secret passageway. It opened with a loud creak and burst of dust.

“Inside ... go on ...” Said Landa after a cough, waving his hand in front of his face.

“Like we promised earlier, love...” Whispered Landa as he held his wife’s hand.

“I understand, three knocks should they come patrolling the area.” Said Landa’s wife before she kissed her husband lightly.

Landa then soon followed the other men into the secret basement and closed the door, while his wife upstairs repositioned the rug so that it covers the entrance.

The basement was very damp and dark, at least until Landa pulled a light string on the ceiling, turning on a dim and creaking, lightly swaying lamp with a few cracks on lampshade. Some more dust fell onto the table right below it as soon as the string was pulled.

The table was a wide wooden one, it looked rather unstable and nothing was placed on it. Five chairs were placed around the table.

“Hey, where should I sit?” Asked a skinny man named Quentin, one of Frederick’s friends.

“There’s a small stool in the corner there.” Said Landa while pointing towards the far left corner of the room, next to a very dusty and empty cupboard.

Quentin nodded and quickly scurried over to the corner and picked up the stool, before running back towards the table and sitting down.

After all men were seated, Frederick began speaking, “Now then gentleman, about the details of tonight’s battle ...”

Before he finished, Samuel, another friend, a black muscular guy wearing a blue t-shirt asked, “Wait wait, we’re really doing it tonight?”

“Of course! Tonight would be the best time, we will not give those damn Jeradium soldiers time to get adapted to our terrain before we attack.” Answered Captain Frederick.

“Now, Luigi, you brought your map right?” He asked.

“Si.” Answered Luigi, an moustached immigrant from the country of Vytalia, and a close friend of Captain Frederick, as he took out his map and set it on the table.

“Very good.” Said Frederick as he leaned forward to examine the map. “Now gentleman ... our attack, will mainly be focused on the capital center, but I will also a send a large number of soldiers to attack from the south, and make their way towards the north, to regroup with us. Quentin, you will be leading that group from the south.” Continued Frederick.

Quentin nodded and said, “Got it.”

“Now, Samuel and I will lead the attack on the capital center, followed by about one hundred and fifty armed civilians.” Continued Frederick.

“You managed to get the weapons?” Asked Vincent, the other guy.

“No problem, I got in touch with Captain Jeremy, the current captain of the Carmon City Royal Guard. This very moment him and his soldiers are being ordered to surrender their Cemarican uniforms, and switch to Jeradium Guard uniforms. He will supply us and our troops with the weapons that we need tonight, about a hundred firearms. He will also send in about thirty of his men to secretly participate in our cause, dressed as civilians like us.” Explained Frederick.

“Why can’t he just send in his entire army to help us?” Asked Vincent.

“No way.” Said Frederick as he shook his head. “It’s far too risky.What if this plan fails? What will become of his army then?” He added.

Vincent nodded.

“Now, Landa and Vincent ... you two will lead the army stationed in the slums. When I give the signal, you two and your army swarm in and help us ambush the capital center.” Continued Frederick.

“What about me?” Asked Luigi.

“You my friend...” Answered Frederick as he patted Luigi on the shoulder. “You will be a part of the sniper team, consisting of about twenty people. The sniper team will be placed up high, hiding in the taller buildings in the capital center, ready to shoot down and snipe some Jeradium soldiers to help us out. I will also have some men scatter some dynamite secretly all over the capital center. You’ll snipe it when I give the signal. Understood?”

“Of course.” Answered Luigi as he nodded and made circle with his thumb and index finger.

“Good. I guess we are ready then ...” Said Captain Frederick with a smile.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2

Captain frederick’s back story part ii

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was a cold night, colder than ever before in Carmon City, colder than what Captain Frederick had anticipated.

He rubbed his hands together and took a sip out of the large jug of warm tea in front of him. “They should be here by now.” He muttered.

He was waiting inside one of the larger houses near the city capital, with all the lights turned on and a blaring celebratory music playing. He was waiting for two things, some Jeradium guards to come by and Captain Jeremy with his promised weapon delivery. Behind him, also in the hall, were around one hundred and fifty men, dressed in black and white suits, all eager for war. Captain Frederick had told the captain of the Jeradium guards, Norwick Esteban prior, that they were simply having a citizen celebratory party, to celebrate their new leader. Norwick allowed them, only if he was allowed to send four or five Jeradium guards to watch over the party.

Captain Frederick of course, accepted.

For the past thirty minutes of the party, Frederick’s men, dressed as ‘guests’ of the celebratory party came in one by one to the building, and Captain Frederick greeted them all with a smile and a wink. Within thirty minutes, all one hundred and fifty men had already gathered inside. What’s left waiting, were the Jeradium guards and Captain Jeremy with his weapons.

The latter arrived first. About ten minutes later, ten cars came in and parked in the basement of the mansion. Frederick himself immediately went down, ready to greet his guests, and was reliefed to see that it was Captain Jeremy, already wearing his Jeradium guard outfit who was driving one of the cars.

“You got ‘em?” Asked Frederick eagerly.

“Of course. These ten cars behind me here, they’re all packed to the seats with firearms.” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“Excellent.” Said Frederick.

Soon after, both Frederick and Jeremy, accompanied by ten of Jeremy’s men, dressed in black and white suits, began unloading the guns from the car.

“Well, I hope that’s enough. I should be leaving now.” Said Captain Jeremy once all of the weapons had been safely unloaded from the cars and stashed neatly in the basement.

“No Jeradium guards caught you driving here right?” Asked Captain Frederick.

“No, thankfully not. They probably spotted me leaving my house, but they probably thought it was for duty or something. None of them stopped me to search my vehicle or any of these other ones that’s for sure.” Said Captain Jeremy.

“But they did see you?” Asked Captain Frederick once again, reassuring.

“Yes. Yes they did, but they only saw me leaving my house. I assure you, it won’t be a problem, especially if you succeed in your mission.” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“Very good, captain. Thank you very much.” Said Captain Frederick as he shook Captain Jeremy’s hand.

“May you succeed, captain.” Replied Captain Jeremy.

“Amen to that.” Said Frederick.

With that, Captain Jeremy left the building, alone though. The rest of his men, all followed Frederick back to the main hall.

“They haven’t arrived yet?” Asked Captain Frederick to Samuel upon reaching him in the main hall.

“No, not yet. Curiously, I might add.” Answered Samuel. “What about Captain Jeremy and his weapons?” He asked.

“All’s well. They’re all down there.” Answered Frederick with a smile.

“Captain Jeremy too?” Asked Samuel curiously.

“No. He already went back to his house, just like the plan. These are his men here.” Said Frederick as he introduced Samuel to the ten men standing behind him. Both sides simply smiled and nodded.

“So, we begin the attack now or what?” Asked Samuel as he got closer to Frederick. His voice was only barely louder than whisper.

“No.” Replied Frederick. “Jeradium Guard Captain Norwick Esteban has said that he will personally send guards to oversee our ‘party’ here. We will wait for these guards, then when they get here, we hold them with knives by their necks, and force them to phone Norwick themselves, to inform them that the party is safe and secure.” He explained.

Samuel nodded and said, “Understood.”

Just then, loud knocks were heard from the entrance door. “Why, this might just be them now.” Said Frederick calmly as he walked towards it. He was right, but he was wrong at the same time.

As soon as Frederick opened the door, he was startled to see that it wasn’t three or four Jeradium guards, but instead, Jeradium Colonel Lando Hanschwertisch. But he wasn’t alone either, he was accompanied by Jeradium Guard Captain Norwick Esteban himself, and Jeradium Assistant Colonel Hans Willhematz.

“Good evening Mr. Frederick Roswell.” Greeted JC Lando with his usual signature smile as he held out his hand to shake Frederick’s.

He took it, but he could not help the cold sweat running down on his palms. The sight of three high ranking Jeradium soldiers at his door simply did not please him at all.

Moreover, he saw that JAC Hans Willhematz himself was smiling, which he knew, was not a good sign.

“What’s the matter? you don’t look too well, Mr. Roswell.” Asked JC Lando.

“No I was simply surprised that you good people came to attend my party, that’s all.” Answered Frederick, struggling to keep himself and his voice straight.

“Oh no no, Mr. Roswell.” Said JC Lando, raising both of his hands, chuckling. “We didn’t come here to attend your little celebratory party.”

“What then?” Asked Frederick.

JC Lando then grabbed Captain Frederick by the shoulders, and wrapped his right hand around it. “We need to have a little ... chat, Mr. Roswell. Hans, close the door.” He ordered.

 

As JAC Hans Willhematz closed the door, Frederick turned his back and saw that all of his men were frozen in their spots, all with the expression of fear decorating their faces.

Frederick and Lando had walked all the way to the middle of the parking lot, followed by Norwick, and Hans, when Frederick asked, “What’s this about, colonel?”

Lando didn’t answer. Instead, he simply turned around, and faced Frederick. “Turn around.” He demanded.

Frederick did as he was told, and suddenly felt something lightly tap his back.

“That was my Walther ready to penetrate your heart should any quick movements come from anyone other than me and my men, Mr. Roswell. Now raise your hands.” Ordered JC Lando coldly.

Frederick hestitated for a bit.

“I’ve been watching you all day, captain. I’ve been able to watch in silence as you refused to salute the great general himself, twice. But not this time. If you don’t raise your hand on the count of three, you’re dead.” Said JC Lando.

Frederick hestitantly raised his hands as he looked at JAC Hans Willhematz and JGC Norwick Esteban threateningly, with his teeth clenched tightly behind his shut mouth, and his eyes sharply piercing theirs.

“Like I said captain, I’ve been watching you closely since this morning at the ceremony when you even spat at hearing the great general’s name. I thought you looked suspicious then, imagine how I feel when you suddenly throw off a party celebrating him as your new leader, hmm?” Asked Lando.

Captain Frederick just stayed quiet.

Suddenly, he saw the headlights of a large car flash in front of him, and he could hear the roar of the engines as it stopped.

“Bring em out.” Said JC Lando calmly as he forced Frederick by his shoulders to turn around, and instantly his eyes lit up in horror.

In front of him were his men, Luigi, Quentin, Landa, and Vincent, guarded at gunpoint by one soldier each. Then from the truck, emerged about fifteen more armed soldiers, then more came out from their hiding places, behind the dark bushes and trees surrounding the parking lot of the building. More and more Jeradium guard soldiers kept emerging. Frederick could even hear the loud and coordinated footsteps of more soldiers emerging from behind him, surrounding the building.

With a devilish smile observing Frederick’s horror-stricken face, JC Lando asked, “Are these your men?”

Frederick said nothing.

“If you continue your keep-my-mouth shut game, these guys will get shot. That’s a promise, Mr. Roswell.” Said Lando.

Frederick kept shut. He just watched in horror at the sight of his four men being held at gunpoint in front of him. All four had the same expression of horror on their faces.

Lando then slowly let go of his grip on Frederick, and began walking towards Landa. As soon as Lando let go of his grip on Frederick, he felt another hand grab his shoulder and another gun pointing at his back. This time, Frederick could somewhat sense that it was JGC Norwick.

“I ask you again captain, are these your men?” Asked Lando as he grabbed Landa’s jaw with his right hand, while his left had his gun pointing straight at his forehead.

Frederick nodded and said, “Yes.”

“I thought so...” Said JC Lando as he let go of Landa, who let out a heavy breath as soon as he did.

“Now, Captain Fergusons, if you will...” Said Lando as he walked back and forth in front of his prisoners.

Jeradium Captain Adam Fergusons suddenly appeared from behind the four prisoners, carrying four bundles of dynamite with both of his hands.

“Could you please explain those, Captain Fergusons, if you’d be so kind.” Ordered JC Lando, still walking back and forth with a smile.

“Me and my men found this b*****d here and some of his men plant these s**t around the city capital.” Said Adam Fergusons in a hoarse voice while motioning towards Luigi with his head.

“Spoken like a true gentleman.” Replied JC Lando, his smile getting wider.

“So now I believe, these are yours as well?” Asked Lando.

Frederick stayed quiet.

“May I remind you Mr. Roswell, or should I call you " Captain Roswell, that the stake for you not answering my questions is still pretty much the same, the bloody death of your friends here.” Reminded Lando as he held out a hand in front of his four prisoners

“Yes, those are my dynamite.” Said Captain Frederick bitterly.

“Yes, I thought so. Now, if we were to find these before we were holding you all at gunpoint, you would probably just say you had these in order to ... spruce up the occasion, wouldn’t you?” Asked JC Lando.

Some men laughed, but Frederick just stared sharply at Lando while he breathed heavily.

“Now captain, I think it is safe to assume the building behind you right now, is filled with your men, eager to spruce up the capital, with these bombs, and presumably weapons and what-not, correct?” Asked JC Lando, undeterred by Frederick’s spiteful look. Not one bit intimidated.

Frederick still insisted to shut his mouth, but after Lando motioned towards his four friends for the third time, he finally said, “Yes.”

“I thought so.” Muttered Lando as he grabbed the dynamites from Adam Fergusons and walked past Frederick.

“Captain Norwick, turn him around.” He ordered.

JGC Norwick Esteban turned Frederick around by the shoulders and he saw that Lando was just passing the dynamites over to Hans Willhematz.

“Now, let the real party begin.” Said JC Lando, right before the door of the building in front of them suddenly burst open, with a machine-gun wielding Samuel at his hinges.

“Yes, let’s.” Said Samuel before all the windows at the sides of the buildings smashed open as well, and the hundreds of now-fully-armed men in black and white suits all poured out.

The Jeradium guards who were standing guard surrounding the building were all caught off guard, since the windows were a one way window.

At once, the scene became a two-way massacre. The hundreds of Jeradium guards all fired their machine-guns madly at the hordes of men swarming out of the building.

Frederick could only watch in absolute horror as his friends and colleagues, fellow citizens of his country, were massacred mercilessly with machine guns before his eyes.

Him and his four friends were pushed around and shoved to move backwards, away from the battlefield, guarded by a shield of soldiers and JC Lando himself, who was assembling a rocket launcher handed to him by Captain Renaldo Nerschwatz. “Thank you Nerschwatz.” Said Lando before Renaldo scurried back to pick up a machine gun and rejoin the battle.

At the front lines, JAC Hans Willhematz and Captain Adam Fergusons were blasting away countless of Frederick’s men with a heavy machine gun.

On the other side, Samuel still kept steady with his own machine gun, killing numerous Jeradium soldiers, although after a short while, he himself was hit by a barrage of bullets fired by Hans Willhematz. He managed to survive the first few bullets that struck his chest and shoulders, and amazingly enough, was still firing away, until more bullets hit him in the stomach and kneecaps.

Samuel’s peers continued to fight on as Samuel himself crumbled to the ground, but those wielding only rifles and handguns stood no chance against Jeradium’s men, who were all using machine guns.

Men after men on both sides crumbled, and all that was heard on the battlefield were screams of pain and anger from both sides, the sound of bullets being fired, and the sound of the bullet shells hitting the ground.

Debris of glass, wood, and smoke proved unadvantageous to Frederick’s men, as it only blocked their view and restricted their movements as the rain of bullets from Lando’s men continue to strike them and kill them one by one, without mercy.

A few of Frederick’s men had managed to fire shots to directed at Hans Willhematz head on the front lines, but Jeradium soldiers kept getting in the way and the bullets hit them instead.

Frederick, still being held a prisoner, couldn’t take it anymore, he jerked himself free of Norwick’s grip, quickly turned around, and with all his might, punched the Jeradium Guard Captain right in the left jaw.

“Oof!” Yelled Captain Norwick as he fell hard onto the ground. His gun was fired the moment he was hit, but fortunately for Frederick, it only scratched his hip.

“Don’t kill him yet, I want him alive.” Ordered JC Lando in calm voice, standing only a few feet away.

Frederick was just about to lunge at him before three or four Jeradium soldiers pinned him to the ground hard.

“Son of a b***h! Damn you all!” Yelled Frederick as his left cheek was smashed onto the hard cement ground.

Meanwhile JC Lando was advancing towards the front lines with a smile on his face, his rocket launcher ready to fire.

“Auf Wiedersehen.” Said Lando before pressing the trigger on his rocket launcher.

The rocket whizzed right past the battlefield, into the partially destroyed building through the open front door, and exploded inside.

The explosion set the interior of the building on fire. It stopped the battle for a brief moment and Hans Willhematz ordered some of his men to scurry over to the building to throw the dynamites inside, into the fire.

His men did as they were told, and within only seconds, all the dynamite exploded.

This time, the explosions were so devastating and powerful that it shook the grounds, throwing soldiers on both sides off their feet.

The building was completely obliterated and the debris flew everywhere in every direction. Glass, concrete, and burnt wood rained on the battlefield, causing some soldiers to panic and run in order to avoid it.

Frederick could feel that went temporarily deaf from the explosion. Still pinned to the ground, he struggled to look up at his four friends.

Quentin, Luigi, Landa, and Vincent were all paralyzed with the expression of horror carved onto their faces. Quentin’s jaw was dropped open, Landa and Luigi had his eyes closed, and Vincent was frowning with tears forming on his eyes. None of them cared as the small pieces of burning wood rained over their heads.

“We surrender!” Shouted one of Frederick’s remaining from the other side. He was one of only six remaining.

“Wonderful.” Said JC Lando, his smile growing wider. “Stand him up.” He ordered to his men, referring to Captain Frederick.

“Now Captain Frederick ... I wonder what will the great general think of this little ‘party’ you threw for him...” Said Lando mockingly with his twisted smile, his sharp face only a few inches away frow the hateful Captain Frederick.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cha[pter 3

Captain frederick’s back story part iii

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Food.” Said the Jeradium guard as opened the jail cell and slipped the small bowl of pourage inside.

Frederick didn’t answer, he was simply sitting in the corner of the cell. He merely looked at the guard as he delivered the food before closing the cell and walking away.

For the past two days, Frederick had been sitting alone in his private cell in the Great Prison of Carmon City led by Norwick Esteban while Landa, Vincent, Luigi, Quentin, and all the other survivors of his mission were placed in the eastern POW camp recently erected under Aldo Ferschwitstein’s order and led by Captain Renaldo Nerschwatz.

Alone his cell with only one meal per day, Frederick found himself thinking of an escape plan all day long every single day. However, he had decided for himself that at his current situation, an all out escape would be suicide.

 

About two hours after his meal, Captain Frederick was quite startled to see who was already standing in front of his cell, with a number of guards behind him.

It was JC Lando himself.

All the prison guards around immediately stood up and gave a salute the moment he entered the dungeon leading to Frederick’s cell.

Frederick just looked on as Lando had a prison guard unlock his cell. “Long time no see, Captain Roswell.” Greeted Lando as he entered, bringing a chair with him. He flipped the chair around and sat on it while observing Frederick, before taking out a pipe from the pocket of his black Jeradium Colonel long coat.

“I’m here to inform you about some ... important information, regarding not only yourself, but your fellow conspirators as well. A decision has been made by the great general regarding the further fate of all you people.” Said JC Lando as he lit his pipe.

Frederick didn’t respond.

“Oh, don’t be so tense now. Last time, I was prepared to shoot you if you don’t answer my questions, but the situation is different now. Sitting in your chair, I would probably tense as well. Here, have a cigarette.” Said JC Lando as he, to Frederick’s surpise, took out a cigarette and offered it up to him. “I’m sure Captain Norwick wouldn’t mind if I offered you just one cigarette, now would he?”

After a brief moment of hestitation, Frederick took it and Lando tossed him the lighter, which he caught easily with one hand.

“Now where were we ... ah yes, about what will happen to you and your friends. I shall begin with the latter. I have spoken with the great general, and he has requested ... that all of your surviving fellow conspirators, who are currently being held in the recently erected eastern POW camp monitored by Captain Nerschwatz ... be executed.” Explained Lando.

“Say what now?” Asked Frederick in a very threatening voice as he slowly looked up to look JC Lando straight in the face, cigarette still in his mouth.

“Straight execution. Firing squad. Simple.” Added JC Lando. “The great general has also requested that their families be temporarily shunned from society.”

Frederick was still threateningly staring at JC Lando, unintimidated, unblinking.

This time, Frederick’s look seemed to have gotten into JC Lando. After a few seconds, he slowly looked down, avoiding Frederick’s eyes while saying, “Damn.” After which Frederick heard something click.

Frederick himself quickly looked down and saw that JC Lando was pointing a walther gun straight at his crotch.

 

“I do grow weary of your unfriendly look, Captain. Don’t let this smile fool you.” He threatened. “I’m not allowed to kill you here right now, but if you do anything stupid, I’ll be allowed to shoot in manners of self-defense. So please don’t make this hard for both of us, Captain.”

Frederick didn’t say anything, he simply relaxed and leaned back, his back touching the wall of the cell.

“Good. Now ... regarding yourself, if it was me in charge I’d have you shot along with the rest your fellow conspirators. No offense, Captain Frederick. Easy. Simple. Formal. Just like that. However, the great general has a different idea in mind. He wants to make an example out of you, to all the conspirators of Cemarica out there. He wants you to be whipped in the courtyard of this prison, one hundred times.” Said JC Lando coldly. “But that’s not all, he also wants the letter ‘T’ for ‘Traitor’ carved onto your chest with a hot blade.” He added.

Frederick felt like he just wanted to lunge at Lando, take his gun, and shoot him in the face, but he didn’t. He managed to restrict himself and stay quiet.

“Then, he wants you to be tossed into the gutter, where you’ll have to climb out yourself back to the streets, where everyone will be forced to shun you for the rest of your life. Anyone who dare speak to you after that point, will be punished. You’ll live in exile, captain. That is what the great general has in store for you, Captain Frederick Roswell. Convoluted isn’t it? I mean, if it was me in charge, I’d just pull this trigger right here, right now.” Continued JC Lando.

Frederick slowly glanced at Lando’s walther, still pointing at his crotch, with Lando’s index finger ready to pull the trigger.

“But then again, I am not the leader, and I will not question the great general’s command.” Said Lando suddenly as he put aside his walther.

“Well captain, your ‘whipping’ will take place tomorrow afternoon, right after the execution of your friends. That is all from me, and I do hope you enjoyed our little conversation, because if the great general gets his way, it might just have been the last conversation you’ll ever have. See you then.” With that, JC Lando stood up, adjusted his uniform and prepared to leave the cell.

Frederick quietly watched him disappear from the dungeon followed by his two escorts, his footsteps echoing through the walls.

In Frederick’s right palm, was the colonel’s fancy silver lighter which he had forgotten.  “So the great general wants me to survive...” He thought as examined the fancy silver lighter in his hands. “Haha ... forget the escape plan, I need to begin forging my revenge plan.”

With that, Frederick spent the rest of the day thinking up of a revenge plan, smiling.

“Wake up you piece of filth!” Said a Jeradium prison guard the next morning as he banged harshly on the doors of the cell.

Frederick slowly opened his still tired eyes and was startled to see that JGC Norwick Esteban was already standing at the doorhinge of his open prison cell.

“It’s time.” Said JGC Norwick simply, before two prison guards grabbed Frederick by his arms and harshly pulled him to his feet.

The two prison guards handcuffed Frederick and pushed him towards the door, but Frederick managed to kick and trip one of the prison guards in the heat of the moment.

“S**t. I hope they cleave the flesh from your bones.” Said the prison guard that he tripped as he struggled back to his feet.

“Yeah, you wish.” Replied Captain Frederick, before the two guards led him to follow JGC Norwick into the prison courtyard.

Frederick squinted to shield his eyes from the sunlight as he was brought to middle of the courtyard.

After his eyes got adjusted to the bright light, he looked around and saw that in front of him, was a firing squad consisting of ten people, ready to fire at Landa, Luigi, Vincent, Quentin, and the other six survivors of the battle three days prior.

Behind him, was a crowd consisting of hundreds of Carmon City citizens, including the former mayor and governor, as well as the families of the ones about to be executed, all crying and sobbing uncontrollably.

Surrounding the prison from every side, were Jeradium soldiers, both the actual soldiers, and Captain Jeremy’s men, accompanied by Captain Jeremy himself. Frederick quickly glanced at him and saw the expression of unease and discomfort he was trying to hide so desperately.

Standing on the upper walls of the fort, looking down on the courtyard was none other than the great general and dictator, Aldo Ferschwitstein. Standing on his left was JC Lando, who raised his eyebrows as Frederick tossed him a glance. Beside Lando, also standing on the upper walls of the fort, was JAC Hans Willhematz, wearing the twisted smile he always wore before and during the execution of his enemies.

Frederick gulped as JGC Norwick took his position beside the firing squad, ready to give his command. “Any last words?” He asked.

“No sir, we are ready.” Answered Landa with a smile, his look directed straight at Frederick, who felt tears stirring up behind his eyes, something that surprised even himself.

Luigi, Quentin, Vincent, and the other six prisoners nodded to Landa’s words, tears flowing down their faces. They were also looking directly at Captain Frederick.

A wave of emotions washed over Frederick as he nodded back to his dear friends, dropping a tear in the process.

After a brief moment of silence, JGC Norwick began. “Ready...” He said, and all the members  of the firing squad raised their guns. “Aim...” He continued, and the firing squad made their aim. “Fire.” He said finally, and all the members of the firing squad pulled their triggers.

“Forgive me my friends.” Thought Frederick behind his closed eyes as he heard the sound of the gunshots, followed by about ten seconds of silence.

“Remove their bodies.” Frederick heard Norwick whisper to his men, before he opened his eyes again. As Norwick’s men removed the bodies of his deceased partners, Frederick thought to himself, “You will all be avenged my friends, I’ll be damned if you don’t. I promise.”

 

After all ten bodies had been removed from the courtyard, it was Frederick’s turn to be punished.

He was slowly walking towards the pillars where his friends once stood, and his hands and hips were tied around the middle one. The very pillar where Landa was shot.

“S**t.” He muttered as the two prison guards ripped his shirt, completely exposing his back.

He thought Norwick was going to whip his back, but it turned out to be a man named Hugo instead.

“Are you ready Mr. Hugo?” Asked Captain Norwick, standing only a few feet away from Frederick.

“Ready.” Answered Hugo. Although Frederick couldn’t see the man, from his voice and job alone he decided that Hugo was a man as twisted as even JAC Hans Willhematz himself.

Frederick closed his eyes and said his prayers as the man named Hugo made his mark and tightened his grip on the whip.

“Go ahead b*****d.” Frederick managed to spit out before he felt the ultimate sting of the first whip. It slashed his back hard. “Arrgh! B*****d!” Frederick screamed, but it was far from over.

Frederick could feel every muscle in his body tense up and his body spazz out with every hit. With every hit, Frederick lost his breath and gasped for air, rarely did he even manage to let out a scream. The continous whipping didn’t give him the chance.

To him, the pain was undescribable, far beyond than what he had anticipated and expected from a normal whipping. He was sure that the man holding the whip was doing it with all his might and strength, and was really putting all of his effort into it. He was sure that this man named Hugo, was a monster.

One hundred times. One hundred times Frederick got whipped before he was untied.

His body still sweating and shaking, his eyes still wet, and his breathing still uncontrollable, he was forcefully turned around, this time facing the crowd, with his hands cuffed behind the pillar.

Even though his ears were ringing, Frederick could make out that the crowd was silent, only murmuring and sobbing was heard, apart from the footsteps of the soldiers preparing the next step of Frederick’s punishment.

Frederick’s eyes were filled with tears and sweat, and even when he opened his eyes, he couldn’t see. He just stood there, gasping for air, sweating and bleeding, until someone stepped in front of him.

“It’s not over yet, you know.” Said the person. Frederick recognized that voice, it was none other than JAC Hans Willhematz himself.

He had apparently stepped down from the upper walls of the fort to deliver Frederick his next punishment, the burning hot knife already in his right hand.

“Arrrrrghhh!!!” Frederick screamed as loud as humanly possible as the burning knife pierced his skin and tore his flesh. The knife was so hot in fact, that it completely cauterized the skin, preventing it from bleeding.

Frederick continued to scream in pain as JAC Hans Willhematz began carving the large letter ‘T’ onto his chest.

Frederick thought he was in hell, and all that filled his ears were only its loud ringing his own screams. As tough as he was, Frederick just couldn’t take being whipped one hundred times only to have a large capital letter ‘T’ carved onto his chest with a hot knife. He passed out before it ended, though when he did, he thought he was dead.

 

The next thing he knew, he was lying on an old mattress on the floor of a dark room, illuminated only by a candle on the table above his head.

He groaned and rubbed his forehead hard while his eyes were still trying to adjust to the darkness. In his mind, he wondered if what he had experienced was all just a terrible dream.

After his eyes got adjusted to the dimness of the room, he looked around and realized that he was in a familiar place. Not his own house, but a place he had been to nonetheless.

He was in the basement of Landa’s house.

Still trying to make sense of what happened, he suddenly remembered something. He touched his own chest to make sure what he had experienced was not just a nightmare. Sure enough, the moment he touched it, he was sure.

He ran his fingers across it before looking down to see the large ‘T’ shaped scar. Even in the dim light, it was still very visible to him.

He tried to turn around, but he felt his back ache and burn a little the moment he did. He reached to feel it, and felt the scars of the one hundred whippings that he had experienced.

Before he had a chance to do anything else, the door leading to the basement suddenly creaked open, and a woman entered. It was Landa’s wife.

“You’re awake, Captain Frederick...” Said Landa’s wife. While her voice was soft and kind, Frederick could see from her expression that she was still very devastated by Landa’s death.

“Yes ma’am...do you mind telling me though, what exactly happened after they carved this god-forsaken symbol onto my chest? I lost my conciousness just then.” Replied Frederick.

Landa’s wife didn’t answer immediately. She slowly walked towards the table, grabbed the chair closest to Frederick, sat down, and took a deep breath before finally responding.

“After ... JAC Hanz Willhematz finished carving the ‘T’ onto your chest, they untied your unconcious body, and tossed you into the sewers located just outside the prison. Aldo Ferschwitstein told us, the citizens to observe your unconsious and mud covered wounded body, and he warned us that any conspirators who dare question his rule will surely suffer the same fate, maybe even worse.” Explained Landa’s wife, with the grim expression still painted on her face.

Frederick stayed quiet for a few moments before asking, “What then? How’d I get here?”

Landa’s wife took another deep breath before she answered, “That afternoon, someone knocked on my door and asked me to pick you up and nurse you until you recover.”

“Who?” Asked Frederick curiously.

“Our previous Carmon City Royal Guard captain, the newly made Jeradium captain, Captain Jeremy.” Answered Landa’s wife. “He asked me if he could come inside to discuss something. Even though I felt like I was best left alone then, I let him in anyways. He then asked me if I want my husband to be avenged. I nodded, then he said that you will be the one man truly capable and willing to do that. He told me that his men will take over the patrolling of the area, with him supervising. He promised me it will all be safe. When I got to your location, it turns out that Captain Jeremy’s men had already lifted you out of the gutter. All I had to do was just bring your body here and nurse you till you get better. And now, you’re awake.” She explained, before quietly leaning over and asking, “Is it true Captain Frederick? Will you avenge my husband and strip that heartless general Aldo from his position? Will you?”

Frederick nodded and smiled.

“Truth be told I don’t know your name yet, ma’am, or if you prefer, miss.” He asked.

“Judy.” Answered Landa’s wife, Judy.

“Well Ms. Judy ... while it may take time ... you can be pretty damn sure that eventually, I will do just that. Avenge your husband, and strip that b*****d of a general from his position as our ‘ruler’. You can count on that.” Said Frederick reassuringly with a smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4

the raid of the eastern pow camp

 

 

 

 

 

Four months have passed since his punishment, and Frederick Roswell had already managed to gather a troop of around 280 soldiers entirely consisting of Cemarican citizens who were willing to fight for their freedom.

This time around, Frederick already had his own base for his army, located in the rural woods on the outskirts of Carmon City.

Frederick didn’t have to worry about patrolling Jeradium soldiers, because the man put in charge of patrolling the area was none other than Captain Jeremy himself, along with his troop.

After briefing the 280 soldiers their mission, Frederick told them to stay in position while he himself went inside to his cabin to do one last thorough checking and preparation for the raid they were about to perform that night.

The raid of the western POW camp currently led by Captain Renaldo Nerschwatz.

While he was inside his cabin, examining his map and drinking his coffee, the door suddenly opened, and a man named Orlov came in. He was Frederick’s new private informant.

“There’s been two new developments, captain.” Said Orlov before sitting down on the chair next to Frederick.

“Go on...” Said Frederick with his eyes still examining the map.

“First of all, I just got information that Aldo Ferschwitstein is leaving for Vytalia this evening.” Said Orlov.

Orlov’s words caught Frederick’s attention, he immediately lifted his eyes from the map. “Holy s**t.” He said. “That means we can’t corner him and force him to surrender tonight, and if just one guy leaks out and manages to inform our raid to him while he’s away, he’ll bring hundreds of thousands more soldiers from Jeradia to come here and wipe us all out. S**t. This is bad ...”

“That’s not all ... on the good news, our good old friend Captain Will Armon from the city of Wiston (The second largest city in Cemarica, east of Carmon City) has confirmed to me that he will come to the capital tonight, bringing around 150 soldiers with him to aid our raid. That means we now have 430 soldiers with us, plus Captain Jeremy’s army.” Said Orlov.

“Hmm ... yes that is good news, I haven’t informed Captain Jeremy about the possibilty of Captain Armon’s coming though, I was afraid he couldn’t come, since it hasn’t been confirmed until this morning. Alas, I’ll tell him tonight, the plan with the raid of the western POW camp will remain the same anyways. Myself, you, 120 soldiers, plus Captain Jeremy’s army. We’ll tell Captain Armon to strike down the eastern POW camp with his army of 150 people, plus our own remaining 160 soldiers. 310 soldiers to raid the place down, should be a breeze if everythin’ goes well. Same with our raid, 120 men plus all of Jeremy’s men.” Replied Frederick.

That evening, as Aldo Ferschwitsein was leaving for Vytalia, Captain Will Armon along with his troop arrived in Carmon City and managed to sneak into Frederick’s base without any Jeradium guards noticing.

“Captain Frederick Roswell, I presume.” Greeted Captain Will as he walked up to shake Frederick’s hand.

“Captain William Armon. Pleasure to finally see you face to face. Your help is most appreciated.” Replied Frederick as he shook Armon’s hand.

“Nonsense Captain Frederick, it is your bold and daring plan of revolution that encouraged us to come here in the first place anyway. Why, we need to come if we want to be free, correct?” Said Captain Will Armon with a light chuckle.

“Haha of course, of course. Come now, let’s have a drink in my cabin before we discuss our plan.” Invited Frederick.

After pouring himself and Captain Will Armon a glass of wine, Frederick sat down and began his conversation, “So, first things first captain, about your position in tonight’s raid ... I have marked here on this map the location which you will be ambushing. You will be accompanied by all your men plus 160 of my men. About 310 men, should make it an easy job.” He said as he pressed his right index finger on a red X marking the eastern POW camp on the map.

“Hmm ... bout that captain, what raid are we talking about? Straight up kill everyone there and free all the prisoners, or blow up the place, or ...” Asked Captain Will.

“Kill every single Jeradium soldier in that POW camp, and I mean every single one. We need to be extra careful captain, we don’t want any Jeradium soldier escape whatsoever. If the enemy surrenders, take them as prisoners and do not, I repeat do not let a single man out of your sight.” Answered Frederick.

“The reason, captain ... is because as you probably already know, Aldo Ferschwitstein has left the country. We can’t corner him tonight, and if the story of our raid leaks out while he’s still away ... you know what will happen.” He added.

Captain Will nodded. “Is that all captain? Raid the eastern POW camp, then we’re done?” He asked.

“If you finish your job before we do, you wait. When me and my men are finished with the western POW camp, we’ll send a sky signal, then you go to our location. After that, we’ll all combine our forces, and head forward towards the capital to ambush and corner the current temporary replacement commander of this country, JC Lando Hanswertisch. Me and my men will sweep the inside of the building, while you and your men take out all the guards at the door, is that all clear captain?”

“Indeed.” Said Captain Will Armon as he nodded and picked up his glass of wine.

“Tell me captain, why do think our president surrender this country to Jeradia in the first place?” He asked.

“I always knew from the very beginning that our president, J. Abraham was a weak man. From what I’ve heard, he’s been getting political threats from the president of Jeradia, and was forced to surrender the country. He’s messed up, and Jeradia threatened to spill his secrets to the world, that’s what I heard.” Said Frederick as he too, picked up his glass of wine and took a sip.

“Hmm ... now, should this mission of yours succeed, what will be of this country next? Who’ll be the president?” Asked Will Armon.

Frederick just gave him a look.

“You?” Asked Will as he leaned forward.

“We’ll see how the public react to this, however, I do intend to ... maybe, put myself out there in the next elections. Which I think will not be formal if my plan do succeed.” Answered Frederick. “Alas now, those are things not yet important. The most important thing is now, to prepare for the raid. Are you ready, Captain Will Armon?”

“Yes sir.” Said Captain Will with a smile on his face.

The eastern POW camp was where the Jeradium soldiers kept captured enemy spies and soldiers, along with ‘misbehaving’ citizens.

The reason behind their placement in the POW camp is because the great prison of Carmon City is reserved only for higher tier conspirators and actual criminals, people who were considered actual and dangerous threats to Aldo’s reign, while the so called ‘misbehaving’ citizens were only imprisoned as a safety measure.

Under Aldo Ferschwitstein’s strict ruling, even having a meeting with your close friends without asking for authorities’ permission could count as a misbehaviour, which is the reason why the camp is packed with prisoners.

That night, Captain Will Armon led an army consisting of 310 men to the POW camp. He directed the army through the woods and through the outskirts of town and under his direct command, they managed to avoid capture or even notice by the patrolling Jeradium soldiers, until they were right at the front door of the eastern POW camp.

“Let’s do this.” Said Captain Will Armon as he cocked his shotgun before knocking on the giant ten feet tall wooden gates.

“Who are you people?” Asked a voice suddenly from above. Captain Will Armon looked up and saw that the voice came from the soldier sitting in one of the four the guard towers, the southeastern one.

“We came here to join the army.” Answered Captain Armon.

“Join the army?” Asked the tower guard before saying something to the man behind the gates. “Come on in.” He said after he had finished.

Just then, the gate opened, and two soldiers greeted them in. “Enter.” Said one of the soldiers.

Unbeknowst to them, Captain Armon had 300 of his men hide behind the trees in the dark woods surrounding the camp, since he only had 10 men follow him inside the POW camp.

As soon as him and his 10 soldiers got in,  they were lead towards the center of the main grounds while the gates behind them were closed again.

Captain Armon looked around and saw that the Jeradium soldiers were everywhere, even though most of them were relaxing.

Some of the soldiers who were on duty, standing guard by the doors of the rows of prisoner cabins, eyed Armon and his men curiously as they were led to the center of the courtyard.

After a few moments of waiting, Captain Renaldo Nerschwatz stepped out from his personal cabin at the far end of the camp, and walked  towards Captain Armon, accompanied the soldier who fetched him. “So, you want to join the ranks as Jeradium enlisted guard soldiers, eh?” He asked while examining Armon.

Before Captain Armon even had a chance to answer, all the walls of the fort including the entrance gate suddenly blew up, and Captain Armon’s remaining 300 soldiers swarmed in.

They immediately began mercilessly shooting at every Jeradium soldier from every direction with their machine guns, sparing none, not even the ones that weren’t on duty, who were killed before they even got to their feet.

Renaldo Nerschwatz was speechless, his arms were only barely raised, his jaw was dropped open, and his eyes were open wide during the first few seconds of the massacre of his soldiers. Those first few seconds however, was enough to kill countless soldiers.

The dreaded sound of the machine guns being fired, and the screams of his men as holes were punched through their bodies and their blood spilled out at no mercy was enough to temporarily stun the Jeradium captain. His confusion, rage, and instincts were all building up inside him, but they were blocked by his shock.

Captain Armon didn’t give him any mercy either. While he was still in shock and surprise, Armon pulled out Nerschwatz’s own gun from his belt and shot him in the chest with it as he reached to grab it. Armon showed no regret as he watched the expression on Nerschwatz face as his blood splashed out.

The Jeradium captain dropped dead on the ground before he even managed to say a single word.

“Unlock the cabins, free the prisoners, burn everything else, kill all the soldiers!” Yelled Armon through the chaos immediately after killing Nerschwatz.

 The battle and the sound of firing machine guns continued.

The Jeradium guards barely put up a fight as their camp was obliterated. Some had managed to fire their cannons and shoot their own machine guns, but they were still overwhelmed by Captain Armon’s forces.

Some of Armon’s men were unlocking the doors, freeing the prisoners, some were brandishing their torches, and the rest were still firing away the remaining Jeradium soldiers. Captain Armon himself was a part of that last group.

“Hold on! Take cover! B******s! S**t! Shoot ‘em! Return fire! The cannon!” Were some of the many words yelled by the remaining Jeradium soldiers who still pressed on to fight.

Their efforts however, unfortunately for Captain Armon, was not all that futile. While hundreds of Jeradium soldiers were killed during the raid, quite a lot of Armon’s soldiers died in the battle as well.

The debris of fire, wood, and smoke, as well as the firing of guns and cannons from both sides were still raging in the POW camp. Men from both sides were running, firing, and falling to the ground.

Fortunately for Captain Armon and his men, all four guard towers were destroyed before they managed to send a signal.

Some of the prisoners of war who had been freed just stood watching, taking cover while some others chose to assist in the battle.

The former prisoners who chose to fight grabbed their weapons from the deceased Jeradium soldiers and fired away as well.

After all the prisoners had been evacuated from the cabins, Armon’s men stuffed them with dynamites and blew them up.

The deafening sound and shock wave threw everyone on the battlefield off their feet as the cabins were reduced to smoking debris that rained down on the battlefield.

As Captain Armon struggled back to his feet, a bullet hit him right in the left forearm. It surprised him and made him drop his shotgun. “Ahhh ... Goddammit!!!” He yelled as he immediately ducked for cover and rolled on the ground.

He used the body of a dead Jeradium soldier as his shield, pulled out Renaldo Nerschwatz’ walther that he had taken earlier, and continued shooting down Jeradium soldiers while trying to ignore his pain.

A few Jeradium guards noticed him and fired at him, but his human shield proved effective. The bullets just hit the dead body, splashing the blood all over Armon’s face, but not harming him in any way.

Not long after that, with another large explosion that blew up Captain Renaldo’s cabin, Armon’s men managed to corner down the remaining Jeradium soldiers and force them to surrender.

“They’ve given up! They’ve given up!” Cheered one of Armon’s men as the second wave of explosion debris rained down on them. Only seven Jeradium soldiers were left after that.

“Hooray! Huzzah! Huzzah!” Cheered Armon’s men. One of them walked up to Captain Armon himself and reported with a salute, “We’ve won the battle Captain Armon. The seven remaining Jeradium soldiers have surrendered. The raid is a success!”

“That’s ... good ... news, sergeant. Very good work indeed. Now ... we ... wait for ... Captain Frederick’s signal ...” Replied Captain Armon, clutching his wound.

“Our doctor will treat you momentarily as we do, captain.” Said the reporting soldier.

Before the doctor, another man came up to Captain Armon and saluted him. “Thank you for rescuing us, Captain Armon. Greatly appreciated. We have been waiting for this kind of revolution. I do believe this plan has a continuation?” He asked.

“Indeed it has. We ... just need to wait ... for my partner, or rather commander’s ... signal.” Answered Captain Armon as he took out a cigarette from his pocket.

“Then allow us to assist your mission for the rest of the way.” Said the man.

 

“Of course ... speaking of which, if you want to thank someone, it’s Captain Frederick Roswell. He’s the commander of this whole revolution.” Replied Captain Armon as he lit his cigarette. “Speaking of which, I sure do hope his mission is as much of a success as ours.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 5

The failure of the western raid

 

 

 

 

 

While Captain Will Armon and his troops were commencing the eastern POW camp raid, Captain Frederick  and some of his men were still waiting for Captain Jeremy inside a broken down house hidden behind some trees that surrounded the western POW camp, while the rest of his men were waiting outside, also being obscured by the trees. 

The left window of the house provided a great view of the POW camp entrance gate, so both Captain Frederick and Orlov were kneeling down beside it, looking out, observing the situation.

“Damn he’s late ...” Muttered Frederick impatiently as he looked at his watch. “Why the hell is he late, Orlov?” He asked.

“I have no idea, captain. He should be here already.” Answered Orlov.

“Well ... that was the plan.” Said Captain Frederick as he took out a cigarette.

“Wait, there he is!” Said Orlov suddenly while pointing outside the window.

Frederick looked up after lighting his cigarette and saw that Captain Jeremy, accompanied by two of his guards, were walking towards the house at a fast pace.

“Bout time.” Muttered Frederick as he stood up and opened the door. “Hey captain ... wait a minute, somethin’ wrong? Is that why you’re late, captain?” He asked as he realized that Captain Jeremy had a worried look on his face and was rather pale.

“No ... nothing at all. I’m just a tad worried, that’s all. Where’s the rest of your men?” Replied Captain Jeremy as he looked around nervously.

“Worried? You? Damn, what’s the matter? A change in the Jeradium soldiers’ formation? An increase of numbers on their part? What?” Asked Captain Frederick.

As he did, the rest of his men stepped out from behind the dark trees, all armed and ready for battle.

“I told captain, I’m just nervous that’s all.” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“And like I told you captain, that’s not like you at all.” Replied Captain Frederick as took one step closer towards Captain Jeremy.

Captain Jeremy said nothing, but Frederick saw that he was still very nervous.

“Well ... doesn’t matter I guess.” Said Frederick as he raised his eyebrows. “If you say nothing’s changed, we best be on our way. We’re already pretty damn late, if we don’t move quick, Captain Armon will beat us to the punch, eh?”

“Captain Armon? Who’s Captain Armon?” Asked Captain Jeremy. His eyes widened as he did.

 

“Oh right, I haven’t told you. An assosciate of ours from the city of Wiston has joined our forces and are attacking the eastern POW camp this very moment as we speak, captain.” Explained Frederick.

“What!? Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Protested Captain Jeremy.

“I forgot captain. Besides, it doesn’t affect our plan in any way whatsoever, other than making our jobs easier. This way, our team wouldn’t have to attack the eastern POW camp afterwards, since Captain Armon’s already gotten it take care of, hopefully.” Replied Frederick, still maintaining his cool. “That reminds me, where’s the rest of your men?” He asked.

“They’ll join us as we move along.” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“Well what are we waitin’ for, then? Let’s move out men!” Said Frederick as he turned towards his men.

“Sir yes sir!” They answered in unison before beginning to walk towards the western POW camp, moving under the dark trees, with Captain Frederick and Jeremy leading the way.

As they moved along the trees, more and more of Jeremy’s men show up from behind the trees and joined the troop from behind.

Neither of Captain Frederick nor Jeremy said a word during their short walk, until they were only a few feet away from the entrance of the POW camp.

“Now, follow me and my men’s lead. I know how we can get inside. Oh, and we’ll bring all our men inside.” Instructed Captain Jeremy.

Captain Frederick nodded before he and his men followed Captain Jeremy towards the large wooden entrance gate.

“Captain Jeremy. What brings you here?” Asked the guard from the southwestern guard tower.

“Open the gates, soldier. I need to bring these men to Captain Adam Fergusons.” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“Very well, captain.” Replied the Jeradium guard, and merely a few seconds later, the large gate opened ... to a very unpleasant surprise for Captain Frederick and his men.

Standing on the other side of the gate were none other than a smiling JC Lando Hanswertisch, JAC  Hanz Willhematz, and the captain of the POW camp, Adam Fergusons. Behind them were about 400 armed Jeradium soldiers with their guns readily pointed at Captain Frederick and his troop.

“Long time no see, Captain Frederick.” Greeted JC Lando Hanswertisch with his devilish smile.

Frederick’s eyes widened, his mouth dried up, and his heartbeat rose significantly. Once again, JC Lando Hanswertisch had managed to go one step ahead of him.

That wasn’t all though, what really turned Frederick speechless was when his own close friend and long time partner Captain Jeremy himself, walked over to Lando and stood beside him.

Captain Jeremy was a traitor, and of course, so were his men. They immediately surrounded Frederick and his men and pointed their guns at them.

“Wh ... what ... what!?” Squeaked Orlov weakly from behind Frederick.

“Jeremy ... you betrayed us?” Asked Frederick slowly.

Captain Jeremy was looking down at the ground, and so his face was obscured from Frederick’s view. He stayed quiet and didn’t make a sound, not even a movement.

“I’ll answer for him ... and that would be, yes.” Said JC Lando with a nod. “Now gentleman, drop your weapons now.”

“What should we do, captain?” Asked Orlov in barely more than a trembly whisper.

“For now ... do as they say, Orlov.” Answered Captain Frederick.

With that, Frederick and his whole army of 120 men, including Orlov, dropped their weapons and raised their hands above their heads.

“Very good.” Commented JC Lando, smiling wider than ever. “I see you’re more coordinative now than four months ago, Captain Frederick. Very good indeed.”

Suddenly, Frederick saw a car pull up in the distance, and the one who stepped out of it was JGC Norwick Esteban, along with his driver.

“Ah, Captain Norwick Esteban, you’re right on time!” Greeted JC Lando.

“At your service, colonel.” Replied JGC Norwick Esteban with a salute.

“Captain Jeremy, you and your troop is excused, you may leave us now. We’ll take over from here.” Ordered JC Lando.

Hearing that, Captain Jeremy raised his head and gave JC Lando a salute, before turning around and directing his men to leave the POW camp area.

Frederick caught a glimpse of Captain Jeremy’s expression as he was leaving, it was that of extreme discomfort and sadness. That very minute he knew that Captain Jeremy betrayed him against his own will.

As soon as Jeremy’s soldiers left them, Captain Adam Fergusons’ men immediately took over surrounding them.

“Now, as you may already know, Captain Frederick, the great general Aldo Ferschwitstein left the capital just this evening. You know what that means?” Asked JC Lando.

Frederick stayed quiet.

“It means I’m in charge.” Said JC Lando mockingly as he leaned forward.

Suddenly a Jeradium soldier called out from the distance and was running quickly towards them. Everyone turned to look at the soldier.

“What’s the matter, soldier?” Asked JAC Hanz Willhematz as the Jeradium soldier reached them, still catching his breath.

“There ... there has been ... there has been a disturbance over at the eastern POW camp, colonel.” Reported the soldier.

JC Lando’s smile suddenly faded and his eyes widened. He quickly turned around to face Captain Frederick again. “Eastern POW camp?” He asked weakly.

It was the first time Frederick ever saw JC Lando lose his smile, and it satisfied him so much so that he even smiled. “You heard that right, colonel.” He mocked.

JC Lando’s expression turned curt as turned around yet again to give his commands, “Captain Adam Fergusons, take Captain Frederick’s men here to your custody. Captain Norwick Esteban, you return Captain Frederick here to the same cell he was kept four months ago, and Hanz ... you come with me, we’re going to the eastern POW camp.”

Lando’s men all immediately did as they were told. Captain Fergusons’ men pushed Frederick’s men, including Orlov, away from him and into the prison camp, while JGC Norwick Esteban’s driver directed Frederick onto Norwick’s car.

“We’re not done, you know.” Said Lando as he tapped Frederick hard on the right shoulder before running off with Hanz Willhematz towards the eastern POW camp.

“Get your arse in the auto.” Commanded Norwick Esteban as he opened the back door of his car.

Frederick spat in Norwick’s feet before Norwick’s driver shoved the end of his gun hard on his back, sending him tumbling into the back seat of the car, just as Norwick slammed the door shut.

“Just like last time, your plan went horribly wrong eh? Pity. And I thought you would’ve learned your lesson after Mr. Hugo whipped you one hundred times. Hahaha...” Said Norwick Esteban in the car.

Norwick’s words reminded Frederick of the incident four months past, instantly sparking an unbelievable amount of hatred in him. His eyes sharpened and his mouth was forced into a very hateful frown. Behind his piercing eyes, the lucid memory of the pain he endured during the whipping played again and again, with the sound of the whip cleaving his skin and the ringing sound of his own screams filling his ears.

“I will have my revenge, and all of you will pay. Eventually. I’ll be damned you don’t.” He thought.

 He wanted to just run away the moment Norwick pushed him out of the car, but the guards at prison gate all had their guns pointed at him, so did the guards in the dungeon halls leading up to his cell. Frederick was filled to the brim with hatred, but fortunately for him, he was still able to think logically and was still able to restrict himself from doing any rash movements. “Remember Frederick, I’ll be damned if I don’t get my revenge, and if I get gunned down now, I won’t get my revenge.” He kept reminding himself in his mind.

“Your room, sir. Just like last time.” Said Norwick mockingly as he opened the door to Frederick’s cell.

“Son of a b***h! You b*****d!” Yelled Frederick as a Jeradium guard harshly pushed him inside, causing him to fall flat on the floor.

Norwick Esteban laughed maniacally as he closed the cell door and walked out of the dungeon.

Frederick kept thinking of the incident that had happened during the one hour he was kept there, after which JGC Norwick Esteban returned, this time accompanying JC Lando.

JC Lando like last time, came into Frederick’s cell bringing his own chair to sit on. “Phew ... that was quite a pickle. Dealing with your friend, Captain Will Armon.” He said as he, also like last time, took out his pipe.

“What happened down there?” Asked Frederick.

“Well, I hate to be the bearer of good news to you, but ... your friend there managed to burn the eastern POW camp to a crisp. He got hundreds of Jeradium soldiers killed, including Captain Renaldo Nerschwatz.” Explained Lando as he lit his pipe.

That news brought a smile to Frederick’s face.

“However, I also have bad news for you my friend, and this, I’m happy to tell. Nevermind the fact that quite a number of my men got killed by Armon’s men when we got there, we managed to overwhelm them, kill a lot of them, and get Captain Will Armon himself arrested. This very second, as we speak, Captain Will Armon is mourning over his situation in a separate cell, but also in this very prison.” Reported JC Lando.

Frederick stayed quiet for a few seconds before asking, “What did you do to my friend Captain Jeremy?”

“Oh, I’m amazed you would still call him a friend after what he’s caused you.” Said JC Lando with a chuckle.

“Just tell the truth. What did you do? threaten to kill his wife and child, what?” Asked Frederick as he slightly tilted his head.

“Well ... all I did was just ... let’s just say, persuade him, if that tastes better going down. He betrayed his friend in order to serve his country, that sounds pretty noble to me.” Added Lando.

“What sounds noble to you sounds like absolute s**t to me. And I know you’re lying you pathetic b*****d, don’t act dumb. You blackmailed him.” Snapped Frederick, maintaining his cool.

“Well what you want to believe regarding your ‘friend’ is completely up to you I suppose. Besides, I didn’t come here to talk to you about that.” Replied JC Lando.

“What then? Why did you come here to see me?” Asked Frederick.

“Other than to inform you about the capture of your partner, Captain Will Armon, which I already did, I’m here to inform you about, like last time, your further fate.” Answered JC Lando.

Frederick suddenly froze.

“Like I’ve said before, with the great general away, I’m in charge here, and that also means I’m in charge of deciding what will happen to you.” Said JC Lando as leaned forward. “You remember what I said four months ago, Captain Frederick? How I said, I prefer straight up execution than torture and humiliation. Well, that’s exactly what I’m gonna do to you, tomorrow morning. Be thankful it won’t be another whipping.” He added.

“S**t.” Thought Frederick inside his head.

JC Lando waited for a few moments, expecting Frederick to say something before saying, “Well, for the remaining hours that you have to live, I suggest you spend it praying to your god and/or thinking of your last words. Now Captain Frederick, I bid you ... adieu.”

The Jeradium colonel then stood up, picked up his chair, and left the cell, while JGC Norwick Esteban closed the door behind him.

 

 

 

Chapter 6

Captain jeremys back story

 

 

 

 

 

Back to four months ago, right after Captain Frederick, along with his friends Landa, Quentin, Vincent, and Luigi had been captured...

That very night, as Captain Renaldo Nerschwatz took Frederick’s four friends to the newly erected eastern POW camp, Captain Adam Fergusons drove over to Captain Jeremy’s house to inform him of the news.

“Captain Adam Fergusons, what brings you here?” Asked Captain Jeremy as he opened the door to him.

“May I come in, Captain Jeremy? I have something to inform you.” Answered  Captain Adam Ferguson in his somewhat hoarse voice.

“O-Of course, captain ...” Replied Captain Jeremy as he directed Fergusons to his home.

Inside Captain Jeremy’s home was his wife Antoinette, and his seven year old son,  Alan.

“Um, Captain Fergusons, this is my family, my wife Antoinette, and my son Alan.” Introduced Captain Jeremy.

Both Antoinette and Alan bowed down slightly. Antoinette was smiling forcefully, but Alan on the other hand, had a terrified expression on his face.

“Charmed to meet you both.” Said Captain Fergusons with a smile, before leaning closer to Captain Jeremy to whisper, “I need to discuss something with you in private captain, if you don’t mind.”

“O-of course, captain. Completely understandable.” Replied Captain Jeremy. Inside his head he was beginning to worry, but he forced it so that his neither voice nor expression would show it.

“Love, put Alan to bed.” Ordered Jeremy to his wife.

Antoinette nodded before directing Alan out of the living room.

“Drinks, captain?” Asked Captain Jeremy, trying to maintain his formality.

“Whiskey, if you have it.” Answered Captain Fergusons as he sat down.

After pouring both himself and Captain Fergusons a small glass of whiskey, Captain Jeremy himself sat down facing Captain Fergusons.

“Now captain, if you would care to explain ... what is this visit about?” Asked Captain Jeremy politely.

“Ah yes, about that ... Colonel Lando Hanswertisch has told me to inform you, that a conspiracy against the great general has occurred tonight.” Answered Captain Fergusons.

“A conspiracy? Tonight!?” Responded Captain Jeremy, trying to sound surprised.

“Yes, but not to worry ... it has been taken care of, and the conspirator, or should I say conspirators, have been captured. Their leader, is a citizen by the name of Frederick Roswell.” Informed Captain Fergusons.

Hearing that, Captain Jeremy felt his heart drop a thousand feet. He had to force himself not to look scared. “Oh ... thank goodness for that ...” He forced himself to say.

“This very moment, the man named Frederick Roswell is being driven to the great prison of Carmon City, while his fellow surviving conspirators are being held in the newly erected eastern POW camp, led by Captain Renaldo Nerschwatz.” Continued Captain Fergusons.

“I understand, so ... what does this have to do with me?” Asked Captain Jeremy.

“You and your squadron are to attend the execution ceremony tomorrow morning at the great prison of Carmon City courtyard.” Answered Captain Fergusons.

“This man named ... Frederick Roswell, is it? Is he to be executed?” Asked Captain Jeremy, still trying really hard to hide his panic.

“No ... but his fellow conspirators are.” Answered Captain Fergusons.

“But what about Frederick?” Asked Captain Jeremy.

“Oh, he is to receive a different punishment. You’ll see tomorrow.” Answered Captain Fergusons.

“I see, I am to attend ...” Muttered Captain Jeremy.

“Well, that’s about it. I best be on my way now, captain.” Said Captain Fergusons as he stood up.

“Is that all captain?” Asked Captain Jeremy as he too, stood up.

“Of course captain, what did you expect?” Asked Captain Fergusons back.

“Oh nothing, captain. I just thought ... nevermind.” Said Captain Jeremy as he opened the front door for Captain Fergusons.

“Very well. Have a good night captain.” Said Captain Fergusons as walked out. For a second there, Jeremy thought the Jeradium captain looked at him suspiciously.

A few seconds after Jeremy closed the door, Antoinette returned to the living room. “What was that? They don’t know, do they Jeremy?” She asked.

“No, they don’t. We don’t need to worry about ourselves, dear. We just need to worry about our friend, Captain Frederick.” Answered Jeremy as he sat back down.

“Why? What’s happened to him?” Asked Antoinette as she sat down next to Jeremy.

“The raid failed dear. He got captured.” Answered Jeremy sadly.

“That’s horrible ... what are they gonna do, execute him?” Asked Antoinette.

“No. Captain Fergusons said the great general has a special punsihment reserved for him, whatever that means. I guess I’ll just have to see for myself tomorrow morning. The colonel has asked me to attend the execution of Frederick’s friends, and to witness Frederick’s special punishment as well.” Answered Jeremy as he wrapped his left hand around his wife’s shoulders.

“Oh that’s so horrible, I hope he’ll be alright ...” Said Antoinette.

“I seriously doubt he will be.” Commented Jeremy. “At least we know he’ll live though. I mean, I hope he’ll live through whatever Aldo Ferschwitstein has in store for him.” He added.

Antoinette nodded as she leaned her head on Jeremy’s left shoulder.

The next morning, as soon as Frederick’s punishment ceremony was over, and as soon as his troop was dismissed from the courtyard, he grabbed one of his men by the shoulder and directed him away from the crowd.

“We’re fetching him up, Michael.” He whispered to the man, whose name is Michael, a sergeant under Captain Jeremy’s command.

“When?” Asked Michael.

“As soon as the crowd dissipates. We’re currently stationed to guard these areas, so as soon as all the Jeradium guards and citizens move away, you lift him out of the gutter.” Explained Captain Jeremy.

“Very well, captain. What about you? Where are you going?” Asked Sgt. Michael.

“Well, we’ll need a place to store him after we pick him up won’t we? I’m going to book a place.” Answered Captain Jeremy before running off to Judy’s (Landa’s wife’s) house.

After waiting a few moments knocking on the door, Judy opened it and asked, “Yes?” with a sob.

“Hello. If I am not mistaken you are the wife of Mr. Landa?” Asked Jeremy. “You attended the ceremony didn’t you?”

“Yes, I was his wife ... I just got back here.” Answered Judy in between her sobs. “And you are Captain Jeremy of the Carmon City royal guards, I presume?” She asked.

“Yes I was, but just yesterday, Aldo Ferschwitstein made me a Jeradium Captain.” Answered Jeremy. “May I come in?” He asked.

Judy hestitated for a bit before finally letting him in. “What do you want?” She asked.

“I am here to ask you, um ... what’s your name?” Asked Captain Jeremy back.

“Judy.” Answered Judy simply.

“Well Judy, I am here to ask you personally ... do you want your husband to be avenged?” Asked Jeremy.

Judy was rather surprised by Captain Jeremy’s question. She didn’t say anything, but she just nodded.

“Well, I thought so. In fact, I think just about every citizen here hates our new ‘ruler’. I personally prefer to call him a ‘dictator’. I presume you, like so many other Cemaricans out there, also hate our new dictator?” Asked Jeremy, leaning forward so he could talk less loudly.

“Of course.” Answered Judy.

“Well in that case, I need a favor to ask of you ... down there, back in the gutter near the great prison of Carmon City, as you know, is where our currently unconcious friend Captain Frederick lies. What I need you to do, Ms. Judy, is to secretly nurse him here until he gets better.” Said Captain Jeremy.

“I ... I...” Stammered Judy. She wasn’t sure what to say or think of Captain Jeremy’s request yet.

“Now, my men is currently stationed to patrol that very area, and I’ll be supervising. You’ll be safe. All I want you to do is nurse him back to health, because I assure you miss, that man, even though he failed last night, has the potential to eventually throw Aldo Ferschwitstein off his rule. He might even be the only one willing to do that, also. So Ms. Jusy, I beg of you, please do as I say and nurse him back to health. You would’ve already contributed to this country’s freedom by a whole lot just by doing that. Because that man will succeed in freeing the nation. That is if you agree to take care of him, just until he recovers. What do you say, Ms. Judy?” Asked Captain Jeremy.

After thinking about it for a few minutes, Judy finally nodded and said, “Yes. Very well, I will do that. I trust you, captain.”

That night, just as Frederick was being nursed in Judy’s house, a knock came onto Captain Jeremy’s door.

“Who could that be?” Asked Antoinette.

“Might be another Jeradium officer. I suggest you go to another room, love.” Said Captain Jeremy as he stood up.

As Antoinette left the room, Jeremy walked towards the door and opened it.

“Colonel Lando!” Exclaimed a surprised Jeremy as he saw who was standing at his door.

“May I come in?” Asked JC Lando, smiling as usual.

“Oh...Of course, colonel ... what brings you here?” Asked Captain Jeremy as he invited the Jeradium Colonel into his living room.

“We shall talk about that in a moment. However ...” Said JC Lando as he sat down on the couch.

“This conversation we are about to have ... it needs to be extremely private, captain. Do you mind closing all the doors leading to this very room, and making sure absolutely no one is eavesdropping? I myself, left my men outside.” Requested Lando.

“Oh, is that really necessary?” Asked Captain Jeremy.

“I insist, captain.” Said JC Lando in a very demanding voice, though still while keeping his smile.

Without another word, Jeremy then proceeded to do as he was told and closed all the doors leading to the living room, before sitting down as well, facing the colonel.

“Very good.” Said JC Lando. “Now then captain, right to business. First of all I would like you to unarm yourself.”

“Come again?” Asked Captain Jeremy, disbeliefed.

“You heard me, now do it.” Ordered JC Lando.

Captain Jeremy then took off his belt with his pistol, setting it on the table in front of him.

“Very good.” Said Lando before leaning forward, looking Jeremy straight in the eyes. “I know you were an assosciate of Captain Frederick.”

“W-what? ... what?” Stammered Captain Jeremy, unsure of what to say. He felt his whole body suddenly turn cold, his cover had been blown.

“You heard me correct, captain. I was wondering where Captain Frederick and his men got all those guns. I did the inspection and learned that those guns that were used were formerly the properties of the Carmon City royal guard. Also, I identified some of the bodies of Frederick’s men and guess what ... they were your men.” Said JC Lando coldly.

Captain Jeremy still didn’t know what to say, and he knew that even if he had, it would probably be worthless since the expression on his face had most likely already given him off anyways. He kept quiet.

“Need more proof?” Asked JC Lando mockingly. “After I identified the weapons and bodies of your men yesterday night, I had some of my own men secretly watch you during and after the ceremony. Guess what they’ve reported back to me ... Your men were the ones who picked the unconcious Frederick from the gutter, and you had a woman take him away. To be nursed to better health, I presume. Still not convinced, I sent some more of my men to do a research on your history, not anything too specific, we just asked the locals around and guess what I’ve learned ... you were good friends with the ‘good’ Captain Frederick in the past.” He explained.

“Fine ... you caught me.” Said Jeremy after a moment of hestitation.

“Bingo!” Exclaimed JC Lando happily, his smile wider than ever. “Exzellent! Now that we’ve established the truth in you, we can lie back and relax a bit. Captain Jeremy, if you’d be so kind, would you get us both ... oh, some wine, perhaps?” He requested.

“Excuse me, Colonel Lando, but is now really the time for wine?” Asked Captain Jeremy.

“Like I said, now that we are both on the same page, there’s no need to be tense. Some drinks, please.” Repeated JC Lando.

After hestitating for a few seconds, Captain Jeremy finally got up, poured two glasses of wine, then returned to the table.

“Danke, Captain Jeremy. Merci.” Said JC Lando as he took a sip out of his glass. “Very well ... now we move on to our next business. Regarding you ... there’s two ways we can play this out, number one being, the formal way.”

“What would that be?” Asked Captain Jeremy, still too nervous to drink his wine.

“Report you to the great general of course, resulting possibly in your execution and the exile of your family.” Answered JC Lando calmly yet coldly. “However, being the gracious man that I am, I do have a second option for you, captain.” He added.

“Again I ask colonel, what would that be?” Asked Captain Jeremy, picking up his glass, trying to relax a bit for his own sake.

“You could work for me as a double agent.” Answered JC Lando.

“Excuse me colonel, but I don’t understand.” Said Captain Jeremy as he slowly sipped his wine.

“Regarding your friend, Captain Frederick. I’m sure he will make a comeback, especially after what Jeradia’s done to him. Wouldn’t you agree?” Asked JC Lando.

Jeremy didn’t answer.

“You, being a good old friend of Frederick, knowing him much longer than I, surely must know his character, and as hestitant as you may be confessing it, I’m sure you agree that he is the rebellious type. He’s not the type of man who would just give up after his enemies utterly humiliated him like we did. He will make a comeback. What I want you to do, and what I will do if you do what I want you to do, is keep quiet about this conversation. You continue being his friend, and I won’t tell the great general our little deal. However, I do need you report the details of every bit of his advancements and movements to me, so when the time comes, when he holds his next revolution, I will be there, one step ahead of him, ready to pounce. That is what I meant when I said you could work for me as my double agent. In return your position as a Jeradium captain, yourself, and your family will be safe.” Explained JC Lando.

Captain Jeremy, again, didn’t answer.

“Should I remind you the first option? In case you forgot, it’s your execution and the exile of your family from society.” Said JC Lando somewhat mockingly.

Captain Jeremy nodded. He had to fight back the tears forming behind his eyes from pouring out.

“So, which option would you pick?” Asked JC Lando.

“Fine ... you win colonel, I’ll work as a double agent.” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“Good. That’s what I want. When you work for me you better do your job well and honestly though, or I will personally have my men execute your family should you break our deal.” Said JC Lando coldly, extending his hand for Jeremy to shake, which after a moment of hestitation, he did.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7

Redemption

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to the current story, after Frederick was sentenced to death and put in the great prison of Carmon City for the night, while Captain Jeremy was allowed to go home...

“Jeremy! Did everything go well?” Asked Antoinette as she stormed to hug Jeremy the moment he entered through the front door.

“I’m afraid so. Frederick’s been captured, and so had his men.” Answered Captain Jeremy. “Love, I need some time for myself, if you don’t mind.” He added as he let go of his wife.

“I understand.” Said Antoinette with a nod before leaving the room. As soon as she did, Jeremy sat down on the couch, and burst into tears.

He clucthed his fists together in front of his mouth as the tears poured down his cheeks. His voice was trembling, and he was beginning to sweat and breath heavily too. He just sat there, mourning over what he’s done for about two hours before someone knocked.

Jeremy raised his head after the first knock, and quickly ran to the kitchen after the second. He turned on the faucet and washed his face before walking towards the door.

“Captain Jeremy. Good evening.” Greeted JC Lando, who turned out to be the one knocking on Jeremy’s door.

“Colonel Lando ... what now?” Asked an exhausted Jeremy.

“May I come in?” Asked JC Lando as he took off his hat.

Jeremy didn’t answer, but he let the Jeradium Colonel come in anyways.

“Might I ask what your visit means this time, colonel? I thought I was already dismissed for the night.” Asked Jeremy as he closed the door.

“It’s about tonight, say ... let’s call it an evaluation of your work.” Answered JC Lando as he sat down.

“I did my job just as I was told colonel, I brought Captain Frederick over to you and stopped his plan of the western raid.” Said Captain Jeremy weakly.

“Yes you did stop the western raid. You didn’t say anything about the eastern raid.” Replied JC Lando.

Hearing that, Captain Jeremy fell silent. He suddenly remembered what he had not told the colonel.

“Why? Why didn’t you tell me?” Asked JC Lando flatly.

“Frederick himself didn’t tell me until just tonight. It just slipped my mind when I met you.” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“Just slipped your mind? Fine. Whatever, I’m not in the mood to argue. We know we’re both damn tired, especially me.” Said JC Lando.

“Why are you here then?” Asked Jeremy.

“To give you your next orders. But first, I should inform you that your former friend Captain Frederick is to meet his end tomorrow morning in the courtyard of the great prison.” Answered JC Lando.

Hearing that, Captain Jeremy’s eyes widened and he seemed to have frozen on the spot.

“However, regarding his fellow conspirators ... I want them all to be killed within the walls of the western POW camp. I don’t want the great general to know a single thing about this raid that happened tonight.” Said Lando.

“You haven’t told the great general?” Asked Captain Jeremy.

“Of course not. You don’t expect me to inform him a raid happened the very same night he left the capital, do you? What will he think of me then? No. The great general’s knowledge of this is not important.” Explained JC Lando.

“The important thing is ... I managed to take care of everything, and now we need to erase all of the traces. That means the death of all the conspirators as well as the captain himself. So, Captain Jeremy, I want you to oversee the execution of all 120 conspirators in the western POW camp tomorrow, right after Captain Frederick’s personal execution. Hanz Willhematz will also assist you by the way, so you shouldn’t worry. Sound good?” He asked.

Jeremy nodded.

“Very well. If that is the case, I best be on my way. Have a good night, captain.” Said Lando as he stood up and put his hat on again.

As soon as Lando left his house, Captain Jeremy quickly went to his phone and dialed Michael’s number. “Hello, Michael? You awake? Yeah me too. Listen, we have an emergency. Call the men, I want every single one up and ready in Captain Frederick’s former base in the woods in ... thirty minutes.” He said.

About thirty-seven minutes later, all 200 members of Jeremy’s troop have already arrived in the designated location, Captain Frederick’s former base in the rural woods located on the outskirts of Carmon City.

“You care explain to us what this is about, captain?” Asked Michael.

“Frederick and his whole army is going to be executed tomorrow. I just can’t have that. JC Lando Hanswertisch said nothing about Frederick’s execution prior to tonight, he just told me to turn him over to him, that’s all. I thought if Aldo Ferschwitstein didn’t kill him, Lando wouldn’t have the balls to do so either. Apparently I thought wrong. He wants every trace of tonight’s raid be deleted from history, and every single conspirator dead. Now that, I can’t abide. Can you, Michael?” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“I don’t think so ...” Said Michael.

“I thought so. We’re preparing for battle. Tonight, we’re going to finish what Frederick never did because of us. We’re going to redeem ourselves. I’ve been thinking long and hard, and the more I think about it, the more I realize ... I’d rather die with honor rather than live but have betrayed a truly close friend, and now that I know he’s going to be executed because of me, my mind is completely made up.” Explained Captain Jeremy.

“Wait, what are we gonna do now, exactly?” Asked Michael.

“Of course we’re gonna raid the western POW camp ourselves. What do you think, go home?” Answered Captain Jeremy.

“But I thought Freder...” Michael tried to ask another question, but Jeremy stopped him before he finished.

“Just trust me Michael, I have a plan. Just get our men ready for battle, we’re raiding the western POW camp tonight.” Said Jeremy.

“Fine. What’s the plan?” Asked Michael.

“I go in using the excuse of needing to talk to Captain Adam Fergusons. Once I’m in, you and your men blast the walls, swarm inside, and kill every Jeradium soldier in sight. Also, free all the prisoners. Frederick’s men. They can join us in the fight. It’s that simple.” Answered Captain Jeremy as he walked towards one of the cabins in the base camp.

“What about the explosives and extra weapons?” Asked Michael.

“If I’m not mistaken ...” Muttered Jeremy as he struggled to open the door of the cabin. “Wala!” He exclaimed happily as the door finally opened, revealing a room full of spare weaponry and explosives.

“Gotcha.” Said Michael with a smile as he nodded to Jeremy, who smiled and nodded as well.

After Captain Jeremy and Michael both briefed the rest of Jeremy’s men on their mission, they all bravely marched through the woods towards the western POW camp.

“Captain Jeremy! What brings you here? Another problem?” Asked the southwestern guard tower guard as Captain Jeremy walked up to the entrance gate of the POW camp.

“No, this time I really do need a private chat with Captain Fergusons.” Answered Captain Jeremy, looking up.

“Very well.” Said the guard before he told someone on the other side to open the gate.

Captain Jeremy calmly walked towards Captain Fergusons’ cabin as soon as he got in, passing mostly resting Jeradium soldiers. “Bingo. A soft and perfect target.” He thought happily.

“Captain Jeremy. What is it?” Asked Captain Fergusons as Jeremy reached his cabin.

“May I come in, captain? I need to discuss something with you in private.” Asked Jeremy.

“Very well.” Answered Captain Fergusons as he led Jeremy inside to his cabin. “May I ask what this discussion is about?” He asked as he closed the door behind them.

“It’s about tomorrow, captain. I’m sure JC Lando Hanswertisch has informed you of the mass execution of Frederick’s men that is to take place here tomorrow.” Answered Jeremy as he sat down.

“Of course.” Said Captain Fergusons while sitting down as well, putting his left arm behind the chair. “He’s told you as well, I see. I presume you are to attend as well tomorrow morning?”

“Yes.” Said Jeremy simply as slowly and carefully took out his walther PPK pistol with his left arm, concealing it under Fergusons’ wooden table.

Before Jeremy said anything else, a whizzing sound was heard from outside the cabin. “What was that?” Asked Captain Fergusons.

“I do apologize, captain.” Said Captain Jeremy.

“Apologize? What for?” Asked Captain Fergusons, more confused than before.

“That was my signal.” Answered Captain Jeremy simply before pulling the trigger on his walther PPK, firing three consecutive shots.

All three shots blasted through the wooden table and hit Captain Fergusons straight in the chest.

“Ack!” Screamed Captain Fergusons weakly as his blood splashed on the wooden table in front of him while his body immediately fell to the left side of the chair, sprawled on the floor.

Just then, a deafening explosion was heard from outside, followed by the roars of Captain Jeremy’s men as they stormed inside.

Captain Jeremy himself then quickly got up his chair and went over to the corner of the cabin to grab Captain Fergusons’ machine gun, just in time as a Jeradium soldier suddenly burst in while screaming, “Captain Fergusons, emergency!”

Captain Jeremy quickly turned around and unleashed his machine gun on the soldier.

The surprised soldier managed to pull the trigger on his own machine gun as he fell down, blindly firing away. Luckily for Jeremy, all of the shots missed him.

Jeremy then quickly stormed outside and jumped over the dead soldier to join the battle.

The sound of gunshots, cannon fires, and explosions, as well as the screams of both Jeremy’s men and Jeradium guards filled the air.

Jeremy unleashed his fury on the Jeradium soldiers, shooting down as many as he could with his machine gun while sprinting through the battlefield. A few shots and debris narrowly missed him as he ducked behind one of the fallen guard towers.

 The Jeradium soldiers, while their numbers beat Jeremy’s men, barely put up a fight, for the attack was a complete surprise to them. Most of them even died before they had a chance to fire a single shot.

Captain Jeremy emptied his machine gun on some more Jeradium guards from behind the fallen guard tower before he threw it aside and picked up a shotgun.

Meanwhile, a lot of Jeremy’s men had already begun freeing the prisoners, including Frederick’s 120 men led by Orlov. They immediately picked up weaponry from the fallen Jeradium soldiers and fought as well.

 

More and more Jeradium soldiers died as both Frederick’s and Jeremy’s men teamed up on them. Shots were fired and men were killed. Their screams roared through the air, accompanied by the vibrant cheers of the freed.

Though his men were being a riot as they fought on, Captain Jeremy himself stayed quiet and concentrated as he sniped down the remaining, unsuspecting soldiers one by one.

“Help! Call JC Lando! Call the main capital building!” Screamed the remaining Jeradium soldiers in the midst of the battle.

“Don’t let them!” Screamed Captain Jeremy before he sniped down two more Jeradium soldiers.

His command got his position discovered, and some Jeradium guards immediately took their position to aim at him. One of them was wielding a machine gun, so Captain Jeremy ducked the moment the soldier aimed his weapon at him.

Fortunatley for him, the soldier hit nothing but the wood of the fallen guard tower Captain Jeremy was ducking behind. As the splinters of wood fell all over him, the moment he had the chance, he immediately got up, made his aim, and shot the soldier down, who at the time was reloading his weapon.

The soldier fell down with a scream, and as he did, Captain Jeremy immediately rushed towards his body to pick up his machine gun, narrowly dodging a few shots in the process.

The deafening sounds of the battle and the shots fired from all over the place continued on as Captain Jeremy used his sweaty hands to pick up both the machine gun and the cartridge, praying that he will manage to load the weapon and fire before he getting shot first.

Fortunately, he did. Even with his sweaty hands, he managed to load the machine gun rather quickly, before unleashing it on all the remaining Jeradium soldiers within his range.

The battle didn’t continue for long after that, especially after Michael blew up the captain’s cabin along with all the cabins belonging to the Jeradium soldiers, thus making sure no contact was made with the main capital building.

Only three soldiers remained after that. Two of which tried to fire a cannon, but was stopped when one of Jeremy’s men threw a lit dynamite at them, obliterating them together with the cannon in a loud and powerful explosion that shook the grounds.

The other soldier blindly rage-fired his machine gun and managed to kill about 5 men on Jeremy’s side before throwing his weapon to the ground and sprinting like crazy towards the obliterated gate, hoping to escape.

Obviously, he didn’t. Captain Jeremy was about to raise his pistol, but just as he did, a bullet was shot right through the man’s chest killing him instantly.

Jeremy turned around to see who fired the shot, and it turned out to be a shotgun wielding Orlov.

“Done and done.” He exclaimed.

“Indeed.” Said Captain Jeremy after looking around to make sure every Jeradium soldier was dead, and they were.

“Mission success captain!” Reported Michael as he walked up to Captain Jeremy with a salute.

“Very good, Michael. Very good. It’s not done yet though.” Replied Captain Jeremy.

“I’m still confused though. Did you guys really betray us earlier and only now thought that was a horrible thing to do, and so decided to rescue us ... or was betraying us a part of your plan from the very beginning? A plan that you never told us about?” Asked Orlov.

“The former.” Answered Captain Jeremy simply.

“Oh ... well then captain, apology accepted.” Said Orlov.

Captain Jeremy just turned around and looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Moving on ... what are gonna do now? Raid the prison and rescue Captain Frederick?” Asked Orlov quickly, preventing things from getting more awkward for him.

“Nope.” Answered Captain Jeremy with a smile. “We’re gonna do something a lot more than just rescue Frederick ...” He added.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 8

The battle of the great prison

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Wake up you! Wake up!” Shouted a Jeradium prison guard the next morning as he harshly banged on the cell door.

Frederick hestitated, he still kept his eyes closed for a few seconds until the cell door opened and he felt someone tug on his shirt and throw him onto the floor.

“Urgh! You shithead!” Protested Frederick as he rubbed his forehead while still sprawled on the floor. He slowly looked up and saw that the one who threw him onto the floor was one of JGC Norwick’s goons, while Norwick himself was looming over him, smiling.

“You thought of your last words yet, Captain Frederick?” Asked Norwick mockingly. “If you haven’t, then too bad for you, because it’s time.” He added as he had two of his guards pull Frederick back to his feet.

“Damn you Norwick, I hope you ...” Before Frederick finished his sentence, the two guards behind him shoved him forward.

As they followed Norwick to the prison courtyard where he was to be executed, Frederick quit his insults and began praying for his miracle.

Like last time, Frederick needed time to adjust to the sudden bright sunlight as he entered the courtyard. As his eyes began adjusting, he looked around and saw that the firing squad was already in position, and right behind them was Captain Jeremy and his entire squad, with Captain Jeremy at the very front. Captain Frederick was rather surprised to see the serious and determined expression Jeremy’s face. “S**t. I sure goddamn pray he has a plan.” He thought.

Surrounding Captain Jeremy’s troops from the left and right were the Jeradium guards, while standing up on the upper walls of the fort were JC Lando Hanswertisch and JAC Hanz Willhematz. Both were smiling, Lando with his signature smile and Hanz with his twisted smile.

As the two prison guards began tying him to the execution pole, Frederick caught of glimpse of Captain Jeremy winking at him.

That very moment, he felt relief wash over him. “Thank you, god.” He thought.

“Last words?” Asked Norwick Esteban as he took his position next to the firing squad.

“Yes. You are all going to die!” Shouted Captain Frederick.

Hearing that, the entire courtyard burst into laughter, everyone except Captain Jeremy and his squadron.

“Captain Norwick Esteban, might I interrupt and tell you something?” Asked Captain Jeremy as he formally walked up to JGC Norwick Esteban.

“What would that be, Captain Jeremy?” Asked JGC Norwick while wiping a tear from his right eye, still chuckling.

“He’s right.” Answered Captain Jeremy simply as he suddenly pulled out a sleeve gun and fired directly at Norwick Esteban’s heart.

A popping sound was heard as the small bullet hole was made on Norwick’s left chest. He slowly looked down at it as the blood poured out. His face was completely petrified, his eyes were bulging, his skin was turning pale, and his mouth was open wide.

The whole courtyard was the same, petrified for a few moments, processing what just happened as Norwick’s body fell hard onto the ground. Jeremy’s troop however, was an exception. The men who were standing right before the firing squad all fired their rifles at the same time, killing every member of the firing squad.

Just as their bodies hit the ground, just as the Jeradium guards surrounding Captain Jeremy’s troop began realizing what is happening ...

The walls surrounding the courtyard exploded, and hundreds of cheering, roaring freedom fighters swarmed into the courtyard, each one brandishing a machine gun.

The explosions shook the grounds, and it threw JC Lando and JAC Hanz, who were standing on the upper walls of the fort, off their feet. JAC Hanz was thrown off the walls and he plunged right into the battlefield.

JC Lando however, managed to escape through the tunnel behind him. Frederick caught of a glimpse of his shocked unsmiling face as he stutteringly stood up and scurried off.

“I want Lando alive! I repeat, I want Lando alive!” Frederick shouted as loud as he could as the battle raged on in front of him.

The army that just swarmed in consisted of both Frederick’s army and Will Armon’s army. They annihilated a lot of the Jeradium soldiers with their machine guns.

Amidst the firing guns, smoke and explosions on the battlefield, Frederick spotted Orlov, who ran towards him brandishing a large scimitar.

“How you doin’ captain?” He asked as he cut Frederick’s rope from behind the execution pole.

“Survivin’. Hurry up now, with the rope!” Answered Frederick.

Just as Orlov cut him a free, some bullets narrowly missed them both.

“Duck!” Yelled Frederick as he pushed Orlov to the ground. He looked up and saw that the one who fired the bullets was none other than JAC Hanz Willhematz. Wheezing, wounded, and looking really angry as the Jeradium guards behind him continued fighting the freedom fighters. He was clutching the wound on his right shoulder with his left arm while raising his walther slowly with a predatorial look on his face.

Before Hanz could fire another shot however, Frederick seized Orlov’s gun from his belt and fired first, hitting Hanz in the lower left abdomen.  He screamed in frustation before falling down to the ground. Other than him, the rest of the Jeradium soldiers, without a commander, were all too busy fighting Frederick’s men that it seemed they forgot about Captain Frederick himself entirely.

“Sword.” Said Frederick as he seized Orlov’s scimitar next, before getting back to his feet and running towards the wounded Hanz Willhematz, deliberately stepping on Norwick Esteban’s dead body on his way.

“It’s not over yet you know.” Said Captain Frederick coldly as he stood over the wounded Hanz Willhematz, brandishing a gun with one hand and a sword on the other.

“Damn ... you ... to HELL!” Gasped Hanz Willhematz with his dying breath.

“You remember this?” Asked Frederick as he ripped open the front of his shirt, revealing his huge ‘T’ shaped scar. “You enjoyed carving this damn well didn’t ya?” He asked.

JAC Hanz Willhematz forced a twisted smile and nodded.

Captain Frederick grimaced and nodded back before plunging his scimitar into the middle Hanz Willhematz chest.

“Arrrgghh!” Screamed Hanz Willhematz as Frederick pushed the sword deeper and twisted it before pulling it straight back out. Even that however, wasn’t enough for Frederick. He quickly fired his gun and shot Hanz three more times, finally killing the miserable assistant colonel.

As Frederick turned around, he saw that some of his original men, led by Orlov were protecting him. Only then did he realize he was lucky he didn’t get shot in the middle of the battle while he was tending to his revenge.

“Orlov!” Called Captain Frederick as he ran up to his protector. “Thanks a lot.” He said as he pulled him by his shoulder.

Another man immediately took over Orlov’s position covering them as Frederick and Orlov talked.

“Here’s your scimitar and pistol.” Said Captain Frederick as he offered the weapons to Orlov, who was wielding a machine gun.

“Oh no captain, you keep it. It’s cool. Besides, if I take it, what will be your weapon?” Asked Orlov.

“Don’t be ridiculous. Take these, and give me that machine gun.” Ordered Frederick as he shoved the weapons to Orlov.

“Fine ...” Replied Orlov finally as he took off his machine gun and traded it to Frederick for the scimitar and pistol.

“There we go.” Said Captain Frederick before finally going all out on the battlefield.

After spraying all the Jeradium soldiers within his range with his machine gun, Frederick began carefully observing the battlefield. Up on the upper walls of the fortress, standing where JC Lando and JAC Hanz once stood, were Captain Will Armon and Michael, who were firing their machine guns mercilessly at the Jeradium soldiers below them as well.

Meanwhile, all the paths leading to the courtyard had been blocked by the freedom fighters, who killed any and all Jeradium soldiers who tried to escape.

“This is gonna be easy...” Thought Captain Frederick happily as reloaded his machine gun.

The Jeradium soldiers were completely cornered by the freedom fighters from all possible directions, and their lack of machine guns wasn’t exactly helping them either.

Without any real leaders, the Jeradium soldiers just screamed and shouted in panic as they did their best at surviving.

They fell down to the ground dead one by one, most of them while trying to run away from the merciless machine gun blasts of Frederick’s men coming from every direction, even from above their heads.

Captain Frederick himself didn’t hold back. He unleashed his machine gun, reloaded, and repeated the procedure multiple times, killing as many Jeradium soldiers as he could.

After realizing they were hopelessly overwhelmed, a lot of the Jeradium soldiers just gave up fighting altogether. Those who dropped their weapons to the ground and immediately raised their hands were spared, while others who ran for cover while still carrying their weapons were hunted down.

Once the only soldiers that were left were the ones hiding behind rubble for cover, Captain Frederick decided to throw away his machine gun, and picked up a rifle from one of the dead Jeradium soldiers.

As soon as one of the soldiers who were hiding jumped out and ran across the battlefield, Captain Frederick immediately pulled his trigger, hitting the soldier right in the back.

Another soldier jumped out from his hiding place and prepared to shoot, but Frederick beat him to it and pulled his trigger first, hitting the soldier in the head, killing him instantly.

“Allow me, captain.” Said a familiar voice suddenly from behind Frederick, who turned around and saw that it was Captain Jeremy, wielding a machine gun.

“By all means, captain.” Replied Captain Frederick with a smile.

Captain Jeremy then walked up to the middle of the battlefield and fired his machine gun, spraying the other side with bullets.

Though it didn’t hit any soldiers, it was enough to make the remaining Jeradium soldiers give up.

“We surrender!” Shouted one of the Jeradium soldiers as he threw his rifle to ground beside him, into Captain Frederick’s view.

“Very well! Come out!” Replied Captain Frederick.

The four remaining Jeradium soldiers then slowly walked out from their safe spots behind the rubble towards Captain Frederick and his men, with their hands raised above their heads.

“Guard them.” Ordered Captain Jeremy to his men.

As the four Jeradium soldiers are being held down, a voice suddenly called out from behind them, and both Captain Jeremy and Captain Frederick turned around immediately.

“Colonel Lando ...” Exclaimed Captain Frederick happily as he saw the Jeradium colonel being escorted towards him by two freedom fighters.

JC Lando was bleeding on the left side of his forehead, and he had a desperate expression on his face. Not smiling, but not angry or sad or worried either, but rather almost a lack of expression. An expression of defeat.

The freedom fighters who weren’t guarding the other four Jeradium soldiers all immediately huddled around the colonel, surrounding him from every side.

“Orlov, your pistol.” Asked Captain Frederick as he held out his left hand.

“Just keep it captain.” Said Orlov from behind him as he gave his gun, before turning around to ask the other freedom fighters for a replacement gun.

“Wonderful. Wunderbar.” Exclaimed Frederick as he cocked the gun, clicked it, and pointed it straight at Lando’s head. “Do you surrender, colonel?” He asked.

“What can I say, Captain Frederick ... you’ve finally won, I suppose. I surrender.” Answered JC Lando. “I must say it is funny though ...” He added.

“What?” Asked Captain Frederick.

“If there’s one thing in common between us, it would be that both of us were dependent on that man to determine either our success or downfall.” Answered JC Lando as he tossed Captain Jeremy, who was standing beside Captain Frederick, a dirty look.

“I was never loyal to you from the very beginning Lando, and ever since you forced me to do that dirty work for you, I’ve regretted it.” Said Captain Jeremy in his defence.

JC Lando didn’t reply. He simply smiled weakly.

“Now then, first things first ... what did you tell Aldo Ferschwitstein of my raid the other day?” Asked Captain Frederick.

Before Lando could reply, Captain Jeremy cut in, “Oh he didn’t tell Aldo, Frederick. He didn’t want his great general to know a single thing about your raid.”

“Is that so? Well ain’t that good news!” Said Captain Frederick happily, waving his gun in front of the defeated colonel’s face. “Well you should be happy about that too you know, because that makes things a lot easier for both of us.” He added.

“Don’t be so happy yet, captain. You still haven’t gotten the great general, and need I remind you, he’s still in Vytalia as of this moment. You haven’t won.” Said JC Lando.

“Oh but I will. Easily. Don’t worry colonel, I’ve got it all planned out ...” Replied Frederick with a broad smile on his face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 9

Victory

 

 

 

 

“There you go Captain Frederick, he shouldn’t be able to go anywhere now.” Said Captain Will Armon after he finished handcuffing JC Lando’s hands behind his chair in Norwick Esteban’s office.

“Thank you very much, Captain Armon. You may leave us now, but don’t lose your guard outside.” Replied Captain Frederick as he sat down on the chair across the table from JC Lando.

“Indeed, captain.” Said Captain Armon as he tapped Frederick lightly on the shoulder on his way out.

As soon as Captain Will Armon left the office and closed the door, Frederick took out a cigarette and lit it using the same lighter JC Lando gave him four months back.

“This reminds me ...” Muttered Frederick before tossing the silver lighter back to its original owner, hitting the colonel hard in the forehead.

Frederick chuckled as JC Lando shook off the pain. “I’ve kept it for you for the past four months without using it even once until now, and just yesterday, before the raid, I brought it with me in case I get the chance to return it to you. You’re welcome.” He mocked.

JC Lando snickered.

“You know what’s funny? How different things are between now and yesterday. I mean ...” Said Captain Frederick as he took out his gun and cocked it, pointing it straight at JC Lando’s crotch underneath the table before saying, “Looks like now the shoe’s on the other foot.”

“Might I ask, do you have any actual plan other than rubbing your lucky victory in my face, captain?” Asked JC Lando.

“Haha very well, colonel. I’ll get to the point. Regarding you, since you’ve surrendered, I believe you are ready to do anything that I tell you to on the consequence of if you refuse, you’ll be shot down?” Asked Frederick.

JC Lando leaned forward slightly and raised his eyebrows. “So you do have a plan, captain. I see it in your eyes.” He said with a small smile.

“Yes, but’s not one you should be excited about.” Replied Captain Frederick as he leaned back on his chair. “Over there as you can see is a telephone. The first step is for you to phone the main capital building and order all the remaining Jeradium soldiers to surrender. Both the ones currently patrolling Carmon City and the ones that are currently guarding the main capital building. They are to surrender all of their weapons to my men within one hour. No one is to make any contact with the outside and no one is to leave this city. Once they surrender their weapons, they will be locked in this miserable prison and my men will take over patrolling. Is that clear, colonel?” He explained.

JC Lando didn’t answer at first, but after Frederick fired his gun into the floor, he was nearly thrown off his chair and finally nodded.

“Good. If that’s clear for you, then I want you to also make it very clear for the rest of your remaining soldiers. Is that understandable colonel?” Asked Captain Frederick.

JC Lando was sweating and breathing heavily as he nodded once more. Frederick enjoyed seeing the once cold and prideful colonel being as frightened as he was.

“Excellent.” Said Captain Frederick with a smile. “Captain Armon!” He called out.

“Yes, Frederick?” Responded Captain Will Armon as he opened the door the office.

“Uncuff the colonel.” Ordered Frederick.

As soon as Will Armon uncuffed him, JC Lando stood up, and after Frederick motioned to the telephone with his gun, he walked up to it and began dialing a number.

“Put it on speaker phone.” Ordered Captain Frederick, and JC Lando did as he was told.

“Hello ... Butz?” Said JC Lando.

“Yes, colonel?” Answered Butz, the man on the other line.

“We have been defeated. I want you to issue an order to all the Jeradium soldiers in the city, including yourself and your men in the capital building to surrender their weapons to the great prison within one hour.” Said JC Lando.

“What? Colonel are you ...” Stammered Butz.

“Don’t ask questions. Do as I say.” Said JC Lando firmly but with a slightly shaky voice.

“Tell them not to make any contact with the outside whatsoever.” Reminded Frederick from his chair.

“Oh, and you are not to make contact with the outside whatsoever. Again, don’t ask questions, just do as I say. Captain Frederick and his men have taken over.” Said JC Lando.

“Remind them once again not to make any telephone calls to any other city whatsoever.” Reminded Captain Frederick once again. “Tell them doing so will make their situation much worse.” He added.

“Once again, just do as I say, and don’t make any contact with the outside whatsoever. It’ll make it worse for all of us. Is that clear, Butz?” Said JC Lando, sweat still dripping from his face and hair.

“Yes sir. Understood sir.” Replied Butz grimly before Lando closed the telephone.

“Now, when will Aldo Ferschwitstein return to the capital?” Asked Captain Frederick as Lando turned around.

“Tomorrow afternoon.” Answered JC Lando as he took out a handkerchief from his pocket and wiped the sweat off his face with it, before pressing it on the wound on the left side of his forehead.

“Perfect. My men will soon treat that minor head injury of yours, so it wouldn’t look weird when you meet the great general tomorrow. Even though you will conceal it with your hat, we wouldn’t want your face dripping with blood. After you get treated, you and your men will be contained in this prison for tonight. Then I and my men will take over the city. I will brief you on how to greet the great general tomorrow afternoon tomorrow morning.” Explained Captain Frederick.

JC Lando didn’t answer, he simply looked down at  the seated Captain Frederick.

“That’ll be all for today. Captain Armon, take him outside, Jeremy’s men will lead him to his cell.” Ordered Frederick.

“Sure thing.” Said Captain Armon as he forced Lando’s hand behind his back before pushing him forward towards the door.

“How’d it go?” Asked Captain Jeremy as soon as Captain Frederick himself walked out.

“Prepare Jeradium soldier uniforms for all of our men. Strip these dead soldiers if need be. We’d need it for tomorrow. Also Captain Jeremy, we’d want to spread our ‘propaganda’ through the city. I’m sure most if not all Carmon City citizens hate Jeradia’s occupation of our country and would support our mission all the way. The more people we could get to join our revolution the better. I’m leaving the spreading of words to you.” Ordered Captain Frederick.

“Understood Frederick.” Said Captain Jeremy before running off to meet with his own men to begin his mission.

“Orlov!” Called out Frederick as he spotted Orlov in the distance, talking to his subordinates.

“Yes sir!” Reported Orlov as he ran up to Captain Frederick and gave a salute.

“I need you to make damn sure no one makes any contact with anyone outside of this city whatsoever.” Ordered Captain Frederick.

“Yes sir, but how do I do that?” Asked Orlov.

“Cut the proper telephone lines. If you can’t do it, get someone who can.” Answered Frederick.

“Understood.” Said Orlov before running off to carry out his mission.

Not long after, Captain Will Armon walked up to Captain Frederick and reported, “Lando’s wound has been treated and he’s been put in the special cell sir.”

“Which cell is that?” Asked Frederick.

“The one that belonged to you captain, which else?” Answered Captain Armon with a smile.

“Perfect!” Exclaimed Frederick happily. “Also, I have another mission for you Captain Armon, I want your men to guard the city’s borders to make sure no one gets out whatsoever. Understood?” Ordered Frederick.

“Yes sir.” Answered Captain Armon.

“Oh but do it in Jeradium soldier uniforms, so it wouldn’t be suspicious when seen by the outsiders.” Captain Frederick added.

“Understood.” Replied Captain Armon before. “What about yourself captain, what will you do?” He asked.

“I’m going to the main capital building of course. I’ll be watching over everything. Contact me with your progress later captain.” Answered Captain Frederick.

“Very well, captain.” Said Captain Armon.

“Excellent! Also, that reminds me, I need to reload some weapons and prepare some explosives for tomorrow too.” Muttered Captain Frederick. “Oh, tomorrow’s gonna be good indeed.” He thought happily as a broad smile decorated his face.

 

The next afternoon, after being briefed by Captain Frederick on what he had to do, JC Lando went to the airport escorted by Captain Will Armon and Orlov, who were both dressed as Jeradium officers. They were sent to pick up and greet the great general Aldo Ferschwitstein as soon as he got off his private plane.

“There’s our prey.” Muttered Captain Will Armon as three men watched Aldo Ferschwitstein’s plane land. JC Lando just gulped beside him, but Orlov shoved him hard on the back with the butt of his rifle.

As soon as the door of the private jet opened and Aldo Ferschwitstein himself came down accompanied by his ten private escorts, Lando, Orlov, and Armon approached him.

“Great General! How good to see you back!” Greeted Lando as he gave the great general a salute.

“Same to you, Lando. You look kind of unwell, is something the matter?” Asked Aldo Ferschwitstein.

“Nonsense great general, I’ve never been better. Now, if you would sir, the limosine, along with the whole Jeradium guard in its entirety, is waiting just outside the airport.” Answered JC Lando, forcing a smile on his face, something he had never done before.

“Very well. I must ask you though, where’s Hanz?” Asked the great general.

“He’s just outside great general. Along with the rest.” Answered JC Lando.

“Alright. Let’s go then.” Replied Aldo Ferschwitstein as he began walking, followed by his ten escorts, all high ranking Jeradium officials, and led by JC Lando, Captain Will Armon, and Orlov.

 

Waiting outside the airport, were all the freedom fighters, surrounding two limosines, dressed as Jeradium soldiers. They gave salute the moment Aldo Ferschwitstein stepped out of the airport and into the streets.

Aldo Ferschwitstein saluted back before stepping into the limosine with JC Lando, while Will Armon and Orlov stayed behind with Aldo’s ten escorts.

“Jackpot.” Thought Michael with a smile as he stepped on the gas. He was the one driving Aldo’s limosine.

He drove the limosine slowly to the main street of the capital, not far from the airport, where all the Carmon City citizens were waiting to greet him. Half the freedom fighters dressed as Jeradium soldiers were marching in front of the limosine, while the other half marched behind the second limosine. JGG Aldo Ferschwitstein’s ten escorts were walking beside the two limosines, five on each side.

“Well I must say, I didn’t expect a welcome this festive, Lando.” Said JGG Aldo with a chuckle. “I mean, I’ve only been away for barely even two days.”

“Well, I think it’s just formality, general.” Replied JC Lando, who was getting paler by the minute.

Just then, the top of the limosine slid open. “Ah, yes.” Muttered Aldo Ferschwitstein as he stood up to greet the citizens. To his surprise and confusion however, the limosine stopped at that very moment, and JC Lando, instead of standing up as well, stepped out instead, and so did the driver, Michael.

JGG Aldo Ferschwitstein got even more confused as the freedom fighters dressed as Jeradium soldiers in front of him, along with all the citizens of Carmon City began distancing themselves away from the limosine. The second limosine, was also parked quite far behind the first.

“What is this, Colonel Lando?” Asked Aldo Ferschwitstein to JC Lando, who had already gotten out of the car.

JC Lando didn’t answer, he simply pulled down his hat to cover his face and walked away, along with Michael.

“What is this!? WHAT!? Why aren’t they saluting me back!?” Yelled Aldo Ferschwitstein as he looked around the capital, scanning the hateful looks of the onlooking citizens who refused to salute back.

Just then a voice called out from behind Aldo Ferschwitstein, “Hey dirtbag!”

The shocked and appalled Jeradium great general then turned around to see who shouted and was even more surprised when he saw a smiling Captain Frederick Roswell, standing on the second limosine, with a machine gun readily pointed at him. The great general’s eyes grew wide, and his mouth dropped open at the mere sight of the man he whipped four months back.

“EXECUTE HIM! EXECUTE HIM NOW!” Yelled Aldo Ferschwitstein.

“EXECUTE THE GREAT GENERAL! TO HELL WITH ALDO FERSCHWITSTEIN! FREEDOM FOR CEMARICA!” Yelled all the Carmon City citizens in unison as a response to Aldo Ferschwitstein’s command. Their enthuastic screams for freedom filled the air.

“You got it, my country.” Said Captain Frederick with a broad smile before pressing the trigger on his machine gun, unleashing all of the bullets on the great general, making a beehive out of his body, spraying his blood everywhere.  As he mercilessly tore the great general’s body to shreds with his bullets, Frederick was replaying the incident of his whipping four months back, bringing his pain back to the surface. He felt very satisfied with every bullet that penetrated the great general’s torso, with every splash of blood,  and with every twitch of Aldo’s muscles as the bullets invade his body.

At the very same time, about eight of Frederick’s men, including Orlov and Captain Will Armon jumped out of the second limosine and unleashed their machine guns on Aldo Ferschwitstein’s ten escorts, who were too shocked and surprised to pull out their weapons before they were killed themselves.

“CEEEEMAAAARICAAAA!!!”  Yelled Orlov enthuastically  to the cheers of the citizens as he sprayed the escorts with bullets along with his buddies, killing one after the other.

“FOR FREEDOM! TO DAMN WITH JERADIA! YEAH!!!” Cheered all of the citizens enthusiastically, filling the air, accompanying the freedom fighters’ machine gun massacre of the Jeradium soldiers.

Merely a few moments after all ten of Aldo Ferschwitstein’s escorts had been killed, the limosine exploded, shaking the grounds and sending the burning debris in all directions.

 

Even so, the crowd just cheered and celebrated as the small debris of the burning limosine rained over them. None of the freedom fighters or citizens were close enough to the car to actually be injured in the blast. As a safety measure just in case Aldo Ferschwitstein managed to shelter himself inside the limosine from all of his gun blasts, Frederick secretly planted a time bomb under his seat earlier that afternoon, prior to the great general’s arrival.

“HIP HIP HURRAH! FREEDOM IS OURS! FREDERICK ROSWELL FOR PRESIDENT!” Cheered the crowd enthusiastically as Captain Frederick climbed off his limosine and walked towards the crowd. Amongst the celebrating crowd, Frederick spotted Judy (Landa’s wife), as well as Captain Jeremy who was embracing his wife Antoinette. Frederick smiled at them before tugging JC Lando by the sleeve of his uniform. He was the only man in the crowd not cheering or celebrating. Instead, he had a very sour expression on his face.

“You’ve done a very fine job, colonel. Now there’s a face of defeat if I ever saw one.” Mocked Captain Frederick as he wrapped his right hand around Lando’s shoulders. “I suppose that marks the death of your character ‘the smiling devil’, wouldn’t you agree?” He asked.

“I suppose so ...” Answered Lando simply, his face starting to turn from sour to blank and expressionless.

“Now, it’s not over yet you know. You and I still have a lot of political business to take care of. I mean, since Aldo Ferschwitstein is dead, you’re now technically in charge of this country. But you know very well the citizens and I won’t abide that. No, simply not. You’ll have to make the international declaration that you are giving Cemarica its freedom. You will sign all the necessary paperwork, and we will make other countries acknowledge the independence of Cemarica. Today.” Explained Captain Frederick curtly as he let go of Lando and turned to face him directly.

“Orlov!” Called out Frederick suddenly.

“Yes, captain?” Asked Orlov as he walked over to Frederick.

“Where’s my scimitar? Fetch it.” Ordered Captain Frederick.

Orlov ran back to the second limosine and fetched the scimitar before running back to Captain Frederick to hand it over to him. “Here you go, captain.” He said.

“Thank you, Orlov.” Said Captain Frederick as he received the scimitar before pushing JC Lando’s hat off his head using the sharp edge. The frightened colonel slowly backed away.

“Only after that will I send you back to your home country Jeradia. Though I myself can’t imagine the horrors they’ll bestow upon you there.” Commented Frederick as he tapped the colonel’s uniform lightly with his scimitar.

 

“You won’t be needing this, they’ll strip your rank for sure. But I imagine that’ll be the least of your problems. I mean, you just lost the emperor of Jeradia one of his most precious new territory, willingly gave it its freedom, and its because of your direct betrayal did Aldo Ferschwitstein die. Boy ... I wonder, where did Aldo Ferschwitstein get the idea of carving the large ‘T’ into my chest four months ago anyway, possibly the emperor himself? Is it some sort of Jeradium culture?” Asked Frederick.

JC Lando’s eyes widened and he gulped loudly. Seeing the formerly fearsome colonel being as frightened as he was, Frederick’s face lit up. “I thought so, I guess you better prepare yourself then ...” He mocked with a large smile on his face.

 

fin

 

© 2018 Ian Titian


Author's Note

Ian Titian
All countries, characters and events mentioned in the story are 100% fictional and doesn't have any correlation with real world events or history. This tale of revolution is heavily inspired by Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. Warning: Story contains violent material not suitable for younger readers.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on January 5, 2018
Last Updated on January 11, 2018
Tags: dictator, war, violence, colonialism, occupation, Inglourious Basterds, Quentin Tarantino, soldier, soldiers, gun, fight, battle, raid, vengeance, revenge, freedom, nation, fictional war, fictional

Author

Ian Titian
Ian Titian

Malang, Jawa Timur, Indonesia



About
Art is what enables our eyes to see beyond what is visible. It can captivate our souls and make us realize how beautiful and majestic the world around us is, for there is so much to be appreciated tha.. more..

Writing
Cania Cania

A Screenplay by Ian Titian