Durban Skies

Durban Skies

A Chapter by Kathryn Smith

All I've got to be thankful for...


It's alive

It's alive

When I see it through your eyes

It's alive

now I understand your lives

when you take me there

you show me the city

I see it through your eyes


On my Aunt Kathy's Birthday, my parents and I drove to Sturgeon Bay to surprise her. My Mother grew up in a place called Door County there.


It's one of the most well loved, toured, and beautiful places in all of the state of Wisconsin.


I am especially proud of it because Door County carries my blood.


It was a warm rainy summer day and I was bored so they sent me off to explore and walk around.


I decided to visit a cozy little museum.  As I walked in the Woman at the front desk peered down at me, giving me a "OH look a teenager who is going to steal something" sort of look.


Once I told her who I was, the tables turned.


Down on the second level in that museum is an exhibit.


The exhibit has the chair my Grandfather died in. It has portraits of my ancestors. It has a typewriter and more pictures of my own family.


If you trace my blood line back...you'll find that I'm the Great, Great, Great, Great granddaughter of the one who was responsible for founding Door County it's self. My family was also very involved with the newspaper and politics.



This song from Bastille is called Durban Skies.
It's about Dan's parents who fell in love in South Africa.

It's about being thankful for where you came from and how it all began.


I'll always be grateful and proud of where I hail from.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7VFxClJckU



© 2015 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
Added on January 1, 2015
Last Updated on January 14, 2015