O, Dark Master

O, Dark Master

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

The best part of waking up...

"
I was only fifteen
In the beginning
My longing was deep; 
I thought I was sinning

Back then I thought
You needed much more
I'd add heavy cream
And sugar galore

Now stepping up 
To the coffee bar
I see you are perfect
Just as you are

Reaching for you
My heart just beats faster
For you, my caffeinated,
Dark-roasted master

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's been a similar journey for me, but I haven't gotten rid of all of the sugar yet. I really love the rhythm and the phrasing of the last two lines in this one, and the overall journey to take the coffee black. This one made me smile. Now I want to go have a cup of a good dark roast.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Christian. I gave up coffee completely for about a year, and when I went back to it, I just .. read more
This is a great poem. I love the darkish undertones you've created with such a humorous piece with references to sinning and dark master.

The only thing that bothered me a little was the meter. The first stanza has a nice mirrored 6556 syllable meter. The second stanza goes to 4555 which works but isn't quite as nice and the last two stanzas seem to be more about the phrasing than the meter and it makes them feel a little wonky when read aloud. It's not a big thing and I liked the poem regardless but it's something you may wish to look at!

All in all a nice poem that I will be sharing with my wife (who works at Starbucks).

TTFN,
Lawrence

***Standard Disclaimer: These are my honest opinions and they are absolutely not meant as any kind of attack. I only comment on work that I think is good and only offer advice so that we can all become better writers. You are always free/welcome to heed or disregard my opinions/advice!***

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

I am chuckling a bit at your disclaimer - please feel free to comment honestly on any of my work! :.. read more
That is awesome… it is funny how our parents try to keep us from drinking coffee by saying things like it will stunt your growth. We drink soda and hot chocolate so what is wrong with coffee. I am like you, I use to use a lot of sugar and creamer, now I am just down to flavored creamer. I bow my head to that dark master.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Dale - sorry for the delay, I am not getting all my comments shown for some reason lately..... read more
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

9 Years Ago

I am brewing a cup now so I will be bowing to the master soon. I would love to work at Starbucks.
wonderful. Such memories, that's where we went, and the bikers came. Coffee flowed and harmless jukebox struck out, and for sixpence I could hear my music and for about the same I could have a coffee. Oops there goes my days spending. Careful though, as, like the music, the coffee is very 'more-ish'!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

:) Thanks for this review, Daffy - a trip down Memory Lane goes well with a cup of java!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
RJ
AMEN! Another black coffee drinker. Here's to taking something as simple as this delicious drink and allowing us to wax philosophic over the way we approach it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

You'll see that I tend to wax philosophic on just about everything - Poetry is everywhere, and every.. read more
Poetry is amazing, it can reformulate any topic very interesting including drinking coffee! I enjoyed it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Abdul! I tell my students that poetry can be about ANYTHING - then I have them proove that .. read more
Haha mine too.But I never needed it any way but black.I loved this Rita .An absolutely perfect pen on our addiction :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Vidya! :)
Vidya Bacchus

9 Years Ago

You are welcome :)
If thats ur worst vice you have nothing to worry about. Good write

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Well, the worst one that I'll make known... ;) Thanks, Paulo!
Pól

9 Years Ago

Lol
...........
I love this, Rita. It reminds me of my relationship with my favorite drink. I started when I was 5. "The thought I was sinning'. Yes, I always felt I was getting away with somthing when partaking in what was considered an adult drink. Took it with a little cream then, but have been drinking it black since I was about 12; never used sugar.

I've been away, but coming back soon. You are one of the reasons I enjoyed WC. I miss reading your poems!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Damien! I miss reading your work, and your insights. As for the coffee, my students .. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

872 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 26, 2013
Last Updated on March 27, 2013

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Parting Parting

A Poem by Rita L. Sev


Dumb founded Dumb founded

A Poem by Jack...