Elegy

Elegy

A Poem by Rita L. Sev
"

For Joyce, 1932 - 1942

"
On this stone
a name and date
chiseled with finality

On this stone
the saddest fate
a harsh, bitter banality

On this stone 
are weathered scars
the first, her mother's tears

On this stone
the proof she's ours
gone these many years

On this stone
a soul unknown
gives blooms of honey gold

On this stone
all sorrow sown
a child's story told

© 2013 Rita L. Sev


Author's Note

Rita L. Sev
My father had a sister who died when she was 9 years old; she's buried in a church cemetery near my home. Last spring, I went to the grave as I occasionally do, and saw a yellow flower placed there. A few months ago, I was there for a funeral, and saw another flower there. No other family members who know of her live nearby. No one seems to know who is placing flowers on this child's grave. And so, this poem...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. This is really tragic and beautiful at the same time. Excellent poem and back story Rita

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Mark. I am due to visit my young aunt's grave; perhaps there are flowers there still...
We have a little old cemetery close to our area and as old as the civil war . I used to stroll there enjoying the shades while marvelling at the huge towering Oak trees and Cedars of Lebanon . Often times I stopped and paused when I see an unmark grave especially infants or child or some unknown soldier . Thoughts sometimes rush through my mind . Not only of how they died but how they lived . Surely no one remembers that person other than the One that formed him or her from the dust . This is a heart felt and moving piece .

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Neil. Cemeteries speak volumes, don't they?
NeiL ArandA

9 Years Ago

The eerie silence does speaks volumes . Who says dead men don't talk . ? I enjoyed this piece for it.. read more
Wow. So sad. Every year, our church has a graveyard mass. I always find the children's graves the hardest. Perhaps it is just someone, who, like me, is deeply touched by the death of a child. A beautiful story, and a lovely poem.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

9 Years Ago

Thank you, KL. That is exactly the conclusion I have come to - someone, perhaps with a child of her.. read more
Very mysterious. I think every one wants to be remembered and what a blessing she is.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Though I never knew her, I keep her in memory for my family's sake... Thanks, Mike.
In every line you invoke a sense of loss tinged with grace. It moves the poem and stirs the heart. I enjoyed it and the story behind it. I am curious about who keeps leaving flowers. Much love to you and your family and thank you for this lovely poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Eddie - she was an aunt I never met, but I knew her through my grandmother. I thi.. read more
Great use of repetition -- like a chant of On this stone contrasting with progressive descriptions. Your note helps me with the lines "of the a soul unknown gives blooms of honey gold" My first thought was that soul of the child was somehow the cause of the blooms. Poem tells a rich story in a small package.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Ooh - I like that idea - that the child's soul blooms... Idealistic, but lovely just the same. Thank.. read more
What a lovely gesture from someone mourning the death of a child unknown to the mourner. Your poem is a heart-felt tribute to the child and to the person making the anonymous gifts. As usual, your poem is very well written.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Joyce - I am always so touched to see those flowers...
Wow, it's a mystery but at the same time this poem speaks volumes. I am sorry about your loss, especially at such a young age. You come up with some amazing, emotional, touching real pieces, it's outstanding.

~ Noodle ~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Noodle. Though I didn't know her, I felt her loss through my grandmother. The mys.. read more
Very sensitive and heart moving piece Rita. Like Renee stated, the revelation behind your inspiration adds to and helps us appreciate this one all the better.
I loved it. Very beautiful.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rita L. Sev

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Kwiksie. This piece is close to my heart - I truly appreciate your words...
Sometimes it's really quiet enough to hear your own heart ...cry.

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

837 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 31, 2013
Last Updated on March 31, 2013

Author

Rita L. Sev
Rita L. Sev

Philadelphia, PA



About
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE "FRIENDING" ME: I am happy to be sharing my poems (and occasional stories) and thrilled to be reading fellow authors. About Friend Requests - It is wise to READ some of .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil