5. Misery Loves Company - A Christmas Story

5. Misery Loves Company - A Christmas Story

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy's and Emily's first Christmas together.

"

Chrissy awoke and blinked a few times before she turned and looked at the alarm clock. It was 8:30. Ian stirred beside her but didn't wake. She carefully and quietly got out of bed. After a stretch and yawn, she grabbed her robe and slipped across the hall to peek into Emily's room, only to find the child's bed empty. She went out to the living room and found her foster daughter sitting on the sofa next to the Christmas tree.


“Hey, Squirt,” she said quietly. Emily was silent. “It's Christmas morning. I figured you'd be waking us up at the crack of dawn.”


Emily only shrugged. Chrissy thought her eyes looked a little red.


“You been crying?” she asked with some concern.


Emily nodded a little sheepishly.


Chrissy sat down next to her. “You miss your folks, huh?”


Another nod.


Chrissy put her arm around her shoulder and the child snuggled up against her. “Yeah. Christmas is supposed to be a time of wonder and joy, but for some of us it's just a swift kick in the midsection.”


Emily finally spoke. “Does Christmas make you sad, too?”


“Yeah.”


“Why?”


Chrissy shook her head. “Maybe someday I'll tell you about it. But not yet.” They sat quietly together for a few minutes. Then Chrissy broke the silence. “Ian keeps saying that Christmas is what you make it.” She sighed. “I don't know. Maybe he has a point. What do you say we go wake him up and start opening presents?”


Emily snuggled a little closer against her. “Can we wait a just little longer?”


“Uh... yeah... sure, Kid,” She was surprised and touched that the little girl would rather snuggle with her than open presents. She hugged her a bit tighter. “We can wait as long as you want.”







© 2013 Craig2591


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so touching... There's something about the way you wrote this, I could just picture them, sitting there together in one of those moments that looks so ordinary when its not in a movie, but somehow means more than anything hollywood could put together. Beautiful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you for such a wonderful review.



Reviews

I was visiting a friend today and her little girl warmed up to me for the first time. Coincidental, but I felt this chapter for that. Good work capturing that relationship between a parental figure and child.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you.
This is so touching... There's something about the way you wrote this, I could just picture them, sitting there together in one of those moments that looks so ordinary when its not in a movie, but somehow means more than anything hollywood could put together. Beautiful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you for such a wonderful review.
very touching. Short but just the right length. I was moved by this, something about a young child seeing the bigger picture of Christmas. Family.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
A very nice and tender chapter with the two of them bonding even more. Perhaps their pain will be more in the past then the present real soon. Excellent chapter!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Tina. I'm sure that there will come a day when they both look forward to Christmas.
Tina Kline

11 Years Ago

You're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

721 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on April 6, 2013
Tags: sad, christmas, foster parent, foster child, orphan


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..