Finale

Finale

A Poem by Chris Shaw

Here comes the wash of tidal flow,
full moon glow on a starlit night,
your tepid touch returns to me.

A light caress on freckled skin,
impressed by charm and caught with ease.
Convinced that love would break my fall,
my knees were weak, I do recall
struck down with their belief in you.

But unsuspecting grew to gloom,
no room in your sad swell for me.
A sailboat drifts in open sea.
Consumed by fear, I begged my dear
afloat in my own misery,
afraid of life and so alone.

You have the gall to reappear,
tears and years have passed, you're back.
A lack of thought shown on your part,
a move I don't consider smart.

How shallow you now seem in dreams,
my small white sails ripped at the seams,
yet now restored to billow free.

I stand and stare,your eyes remain
a liquid, hazel flecked with brown.
You played the clown so brilliantly.

And I no longer weakened by
your spell or buried in its hell
have learned to sing without your song
resisting you, I've grown too strong.

© 2019 Chris Shaw


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i must be so infiltrated lately with thoughts of Sylvia...in ways, she could have written this.
How she ran into him after the split...how he still enticed her...how she still loved his writing...and still felt the connection so strong, and then how she finally weaned herself off of that need for him...grew strong enough on her own to get the divorce....but maybe she was only lying to herself...maybe in the end...he was still the stronger force and her broken wings could not be repaired...
anyway...where i am right now, this is how the poem spoke to me...even though, surely, the intent or thoughts of the writer were probably in a totally different direction.
j.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

This is an oldie from the archives Jacob. Like you, I find Sylvia is still hovering these last few d.. read more



Reviews

The twists and turns of life and the vipers’ seduction of innocents...I followed your painful words dear Chris, and all the memories they brought me. Why do we fall for the ‘bad boys’? Your metaphor and imagery ring true and warn well. “My small white sails ripped at the seams”- unrequited love unravels us, yes. The pristine delicacy of line and verse contrasts dramatically with the savagery of the lover’s betrayal and return for more destruction. Once burned... Your last verse sings of strength and triumph. No more tears shed for the wicked. Brava-loved this!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Annette. Yes, those bad boys do seem to attract our attention when we are young. We lear.. read more
There is a wonderful message here, Chris. Put across so powerfully, wisdom shines through your words. A returning lover, one who left usually has a motive and must be questioned. Often it is lack of options, realizations too late. It is indeed beautiful to be strong and not be captive to such a love anymore.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thank you DIVYA for your insightful review. A leopard never changes its spots as far as I am concern.. read more
DIVYA

5 Years Ago

You're so right Chris. Re-unions are quite romanticised but I've understood enough to not read too.. read more
This so reminds me of something. I have a weakness for freckles. Almost all my girlfriends were freckled. So the other day my wife and i decided we would look on facebook for a couple of people each of us had left behind to see how they were doing. Hers turned out to be a lunatic lol But both of mine who were once so beautiful were dead in tragedy and despair. One died of cancer the other of drugs. It was sobering

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Tate. Happy you followed the freckles, but what a shame it didn't take you down a happy path... read more
Well, some old flames burn more brightly than others. This one sounds like it should have remained in the ashes, but bad pennies do have a habit of returning. The imagery reflects the lingering distaste very vividly. Hope he faded out of the picture quickly.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

He returned in dreams only. Even they were unwelcome. Sometimes we wonder with hindsight how we end .. read more
I've known a lot of people in the past that were close. Through time, some have become like strangers. Sometimes in life - like this poem - that proves to be a good thing.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Tim. It's good to have you visit my page. All good wishes.

Chris
In reading your poem I came to admire you, Christine. I have to be honest.. because I find myself in a situation where I'm not the strong woman I want to be. A very well written poem, I enjoyed it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Dawn Michelle thank you for your visit. Strength comes as a result of the breaks. I felt very weak o.. read more
Chris,
Another marvelous poem! So much of our lives are wrapped around love . . . either sustained or lost.
Our resistance to 'false' love is usually very low . . . because what each of us desires the most is love!
What this world does is blur the lines between love and lust. "A sailboat drifts in open sea." Oh, how that describes human longing---both sexual and emotional! "My small white sails ripped at the seams . . ." that double-mindedness that overtakes us in the most vulnerable aspect of our lives; pushed and battered by storms of feeling such uncertainty.
I am so glad the speaker has, through it all, become stronger and wiser . . . this is a true human accomplishment.
Congratulations on another fine poem.
Tom

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Many thanks Tom for your continued support and encouragement. It means a great deal. Pleased you enj.. read more
kentuck14

5 Years Ago

Glad I could do so.
Another sorry story of a failed romance.
Seems to be a fairly common scenario, increasing as time goes on.
I am lucky and pleased to stay that way
Dave B


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

john l smith

5 Years Ago

That's them blokes 4U
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Well some aren't up to much, but the vast majority are ok in my book :))
john l smith

5 Years Ago

(.......amen.......)
how things can change in the light of day eh!? really think his "tepid touch" in otherwise romantic verses 1 & 2 is super fine ... it sunk the hook of my mind and demanded satisfaction ;) i confess ... in my love life, such as it was ... i can not claim the innocent hurt ... i most horribly was the one crawling back ... but she was too smart for me ...we were in the teen years ... funny how in thinking of her there remains a longing ... i think she was ready and planning her married life even at that young age ... but times were different ... its what was expected in our lifetime .. the young ladies marry and have children .. work in the home .. and the young men buckle down and earn a living .. take care of the family ... hmmmmmmm she really loved me i think ... but i was far away from "bucklin' down ... there was a big big country to adventure in ... boy your poem threw me to memories long ago filed away ... many years later i re-visited my neighborhood and tried to look her up ... she was not around but i talked with her sister .. she had four children same as me ;) and had married the next guy she dated in HS and they are still married as far as i know ... kind of cool! peace and love Chris! sure thank you for your poem!! memory lane forever eh!?
E.
ps i think your protagonist has done the right thing ... for sure!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Thanks Mr E. I certainly sent you on a trip down memory lane. Hope it aas a nice experience and not .. read more
Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

you sure did Chris .. and no .. not sorrow at all ... to long ago and as i said we were teens .. it .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

528 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2019
Last Updated on March 12, 2019

Author

Chris Shaw
Chris Shaw

Berkshire, United Kingdom



About
Albert, my paternal grandfather introduced me to Tennyson when I was nine. I have loved poetry ever since but did not attempt writing a single piece until I was 40. It's never too late to try somethin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heaven Heaven

A Poem by lightsong