Reader, Writer

Reader, Writer

A Story by ewest1220
"

He saw everything from the writer's greatest joy to his most horrible misery...

"

Reader, Writer

By: Ethan West


     A cold hand grips the page as warm blue eyes scan its contents.  Like a dream, like a nightmare the world of the writer explodes into his mind.  He can see the images as apparent as the bright ferocity of the sun that allowed his imagination to soar.

     He ran his hand along the page.  He felt the chill from the page where the cold tip of a pen had bled equally cold ink into the paper. 

    But as he read on he began to realize what the author was trying to say.  The worlds that once flew so effortlessly from the page had begun to slow.  But this slowing allowed him to see the writer's pain with surreal detail.

    He saw everything from the writer's greatest joy to his most horrible misery.  This was more than he wanted to see.  But he couldn't look away.  Warm tears cascaded from his eyes as he read on.  Smudging the page and smearing the ink.  The cold ink originally brought to life by the writer and long sense had grown cold was brought back to life his tears.  He was at the mercy of the writer's every word.

      He felt naked, his very soul exposed to that of the writer's.  In this whirlwind of emotions he was rejuvenated.  He was brought in the end to a final feeling of bliss at this new found life the book had imposed upon him.

      He closed the book with a soft thud, lifting himself off of the armchair in the now dark sitting room.  But even though the book was closed the aura of it still penetrated the still silence of the room.  He smiled softly as he placed it on the shelf.  Letting out a sigh of content he allowed his tired legs to escort him to bed...

       

       The book closed with a snap.  My mind now weary I placed the pen down on the oak desk, my book completed.  I looked around the desk for anything I'd forgotten and, seeing nothing, headed for bed.  Perhaps, in the future, someone would be affected by what I had written tonight... someday...

© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Decided to write about the relationship between reader and writer. Hope you enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really cool. I don't know if you did this on purpose, but it reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe due to the deep style that this poem gives. I really like that :). I also like your first sentence. It captured me into reading it over and over again. I think that was a great way to start this epic poem.

This one is also going in my library :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thanks! Edgar Allen Poe is actually one of my favorite writers so that's really flattering to h.. read more



Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Great visuals and great story telling. It had plot and substance. When you add substance to writing it gets that much better. It gets the reader hooked on it and make them feel as if they are part of it. As long as their is that emotional connection between the reader and the story then it's good. The connection you were able to established in the writing gives the reader a sense of comfortably that they are in tune with the writing. So that way when the writing is over, the reader wants more, and wishes it didn't end.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Amazing, enchanting till the end, absolutely perfect!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
Really cool. I don't know if you did this on purpose, but it reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe due to the deep style that this poem gives. I really like that :). I also like your first sentence. It captured me into reading it over and over again. I think that was a great way to start this epic poem.

This one is also going in my library :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thanks! Edgar Allen Poe is actually one of my favorite writers so that's really flattering to h.. read more
Really clever! I feel that the reader was the writer.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Could be ;) Thanks for reading I'm thrilled you enjoyed my work!
This gave a warm feeling of what i want to happen to me :P

But anywhore.
I loved this so much E.
You really jumped on my nuts here.

100/100

N/A

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol thank man nice to hear from ya!
Very nice! I love the style of these type of stories from you. The easy-to-read descriptions and narrative followed by that surprise little "gotcha!" twist at the end.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow I'm thrilled you enjoyed this one! Thanks for reading!
The relationship between writer and reader almost bound by the word the theme, traveling to many hearts and places without leaving the chair. Lovely descriptive write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
a nice touch of story, a very vivid images of the writer and the reader. enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!
The hardest task facing the writer is finding an uncommon idea. Because true writers don't just write for the need of it. They need to have that rapture, that yeilding within, that passion and of course perfect timing to create a great piece. And you just did it on this one, I guess. This is a short story yet the flow is very spontaneous. Most writers have problems with scene changes or transition. But you successfully created a sudden yet smooth scene change between the reader and the writer.

Bravo!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thank you so much! I'm really thrilled that you like my work! It's always a pleasure!
Androglossia

11 Years Ago

You're very welcome!

you know like...a thought within a thought within a thought.
made me think of a Pirandello! :)

awesome! :P

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Cool! I'm really glad you liked it thanks for reading!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

901 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 17, 2012
Last Updated on July 17, 2012
Tags: short stories, dark, reflective

Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..