4. The Firemen-I knew

4. The Firemen-I knew

A Chapter by pal
"

Mr. Henry after receiving a message had returned home disturbed to see his home on fire and wife upset. Their children were in flat and the fireman rescued them. Kath was injured and bleeding. He adored firemen.

"

 

Sacrificing self

 

So far;

 

1. “At the company’s meeting”; for Mr. Henry the Joint venture meeting with his foreign delegates was a great success, all changed in the end when Ms Eli, his secretary whispered in his ears something….

 

2. “Mind’s play; where the hell were the keys! Damn it. Oh!  When things start going bad for you, all happen at once.  As if the sky opens up, showering all at once. Who the hell cares, his family was in distress, frantically waiting for him to help..

 

3. “The scene”; He wasn’t thinking anymore, but trying to comprehend what went wrong? At the moment, he heard shrieking sirens of Fire engine trucks.  He saw his wife getting out of the taxi and moving towards him..

 

And now;

“The Firemen-I knew”

 

Ms Sandra had lost her consciousness, for couple of minutes, under his hugging arms. Mr. Henry however, thought it did well for her to get over her shocks.  Marvel of creation it is.  Under severe emotional strain the mind, swiftly acting, disconnects the brain from the body.  A kind of fuse blows off under excessive energy flow.

 

 

“Where are children, Henry?” was her first reaction, the moment she regained her senses.  “Its 8 pm Sandra, they must be up in the flat” replied Henry.  This really didn’t make her feel well, she started mumbling, but what else one can do under the situation except to “keep the fingers crossed”.  It’s easier said than done.

 

 

He held her close, that’s the best Henry could do at the moment.

 

 

Mr. Henry’s family lived in their flat on 9th and the fire had spread till 8th floor by the time the firemen began their actions.  As one could see they did pretty well, salvaging whatever they could, breaking in doors of flats and making sure every person was brought to safety. 

 

 

Tom came over running towards them, gasping for breath, and said that Kath is still locked up in a room and a fireman was trying to break open the door. 

 

 

Mr. Henry, few moments later, saw a fireman approaching them, carrying Kath in his both arms.  She was bleeding from a head injury and had one of her hand burnt. 

 

 

She was put in the waiting ambulance, and taken away to the hospital.  Mr. Henry, his wife and Tom followed it in their car.

 

Nobody spoke, as Mr. Henry drove the car.  He was thinking again.  This time not much about the family, but the firemen who saved lives risking their own.  He was lost in this thinking:

 

Fireman I knew

 

In a moments call

Moves with his ware with all

Mustering all his strengths

With hopes, nature to pulls its right strings

 

Focused thoughts in his mind

Let there be fire of any kind

Make me embrace a child before too late

Save the elderly from horror of fate

 

Let me hear the faintest shout

Help me quickly put the fire out

Many think my job a lowly one

A saved soul knows, its noble one

 

Mr. Henry did learn today

He will remember it day to day

Risking their lives, they save others

While back home, some pray for theirs

 

On a Fire fighter’s oath, they promise

 

I promise concern for others

A willingness to help all those in need

 

I promise courage

-Courage to face and conquer my fears

- Courage to share and endure

The ordeal of those who need me

I promise strength

-Strength of heart to bear

Whatever burdens might be placed upon me

-Strength of body to deliver to safety

 All those placed within my care

I promise the wisdom to lead

 The compassion to comfort, and

The love to serve unselfishly

Whenever I am called

 

GOD ... Grant me

The ability to give emergency care

 With skillful hands, knowlegeable mind

And tender loving care

 

Help me deal with everything

 When lives are on the line

 To see the worst, administer aid

And ease a worried mind

 

 So help me as I go today

Accept what fate may be

 Touch these hands, use this mind

Bless me in this moment


Amen

 

..to be continued

 

Pal



© 2008 pal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Amazing creativity and suspense. I love how you blend two kinds of literature into one chapter. Reading this makes me think about all those firefighters who gave their lives in order to save the lives of others. Sometimes we are so absorbed in our daily routines that we can't really stop and thank all of those people, firefighters and others, for putting themselves in harm's way to help us. The men and women who choose to spend their lives as heroes don't have it easy, and I sincerely thank you for bringing your attention to this commonly forgotten matter.
"Risking their lives, they save others
While back home, some pray for theirs."
Great write.

mangoxoxo

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wonderful!.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting mix of prose and poetry. Very creative.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Love and respect you poem. It is an inspiring write. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sorry it took so long to read. I thought it was a nice story expressing concern and fear for family waiting for results. Nice praises given to the quiet heroes who risk their lives eveyday to save otheres. I enjoyed the inserts of poems, which were well written. In some areas you ommitted words like, the and "a", minor nik picking, over all I enjoued your story and your display of talent.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the back story to connect with the poem! A wonderful tribute to those that serve as firefighters!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful. A wonderful poem/tribute to firefighters everywhere. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

fantastic piece - very creative and kept me interested through the entire piece... nicely done... cant wait to see what the continuation will be...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

so creative and well written. its pretty rare to see someone pull off combining a peom and a story. the story was wonderful, keep me at the edge of my seat and the poem was absolutely beautiful. alot of us don't truly appreciate those that put their lives in harm's way to resuce others. fireman are true heroes and this a great tribute to them all. well done Pal :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very good. An interesting mix of narrative and poetry, and the change in viewpoints and direction is an awesome idea. How nice that you included an firefighter's oath! The piece is an interesting read and a nice tribute to firefighters. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an amazing piece and It touched a part of all of us here in the states as we remember 9/11 and try to honor
the memories of those lost. It was an honor to read such a powerful and loving piece. Thank you.
Debby

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

782 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 4, 2008
Last Updated on September 7, 2008


Author

pal
pal

sofia, Bulgaria



About
PAL: That's me, a friend. Socially and mentally matured. A person with positive attitude and take one thing at a time. Neither look back nor worry on future. Prefer meaningful talk with others .. more..

Writing
SACRIFICING SELF SACRIFICING SELF

A Book by pal


2. Mind's play 2. Mind's play

A Chapter by pal



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Our Lives.. Our Lives..

A Poem by Rain