Chapter 14-Basics

Chapter 14-Basics

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 14 of Burning Shadows

"
Thomas woke up to the buzzing of his alarm clock on the other side of his room.  It was about 8:00 in the morning, and he had had a restless nights sleep.  He was reluctant to get up, but he remembered that he was going to be training Olisan today, and got out of bed.  He grabbed his gear and a turned on the training droid, then turned it back off.  He made his way to where he was meeting Olisan, and waited.  Olisan wasn't too far behind, full of energy and excited.
"What is your lesson today about master?  Lightsaber combat?  Force attacks?  Maybe even force movements?"
"Slow down Olisan.  Before a Jedi is a warrior, he is first a being who strives for peace."
"But this war master..."
"Is the unfortunate circle of events that forced out hands into action.  You must understand, nobody wanted this war.  We hoped for peace and prosperity, but the Sith Lords forced our hand.  They want nothing more that complete control, and do not care for the peace of others.  Many say that it is because they think that their way would lead to a better peace."
"Maybe it could master.  I mean, you never know.  My people were once loyal Sith followers and we turned out all right."
"Olisan, I hate to say this, but your people used to be slaves, not free people.  I've read the texts.  Many of your people were taken by Sith Lords and were trained as weapons of hatred.  The peace that they try to create costs to many innocent lives in the process, and the end result may be peace, but it is a fear ruled by fear.  Besides, the peace we have had for the last millennia has worked extremely well.  Which only says that the Sith Lords only want control of the galaxy.  But enough about that.  Your training today will be helping refugees from the lost planets."
"Oh come on.  That's lame.  I'm not going to need that out in the field.  I need to know the ways of combat.  The ins and outs of the Jedi order.  How I can help achieve the goal of peace to the fullest."
"And that's why you will be helping these people.  Before learning the ways of war, you must first learn the ways of peace.  Also, the benefits to the soul that comes from helping others who need it most."
"This is not helping with making me a valuable soldier to the republic!"
"You want to be a soldier, go sign up to be a trooper.  Look, I know that it seems like what we Jedi do is a lot of cool stuff you see in movies, but we aren't like that."
"Oh great.  Are you going to hit me with the 'that's not who we are' speech everybody gives?  Just teach me what I need to know and be done with it!"
"Look kid, you need to have a bit more respect than what you are giving me right now.  You won't always be a soldier, and pretty soon, after your first battle, you won't want to be.  Just trust me, and you can find something deep inside yourself."
"Forget this.  I'm going to the lightsaber training quarters."  Olisan turned to go, but only got a few paces before he couldn't move another inch.
"Rebellious this one is, I see."
"Master Elzan.  How nice of you to join us."
"Share the feeling I do, Master Watson. Share it, this one does not.  Trouble, is there?"
"No trouble master.  Just another young one with dreams of adventure and excitement."
"Always some there are.  Patient you must be.  In time, learn he will.  Now young man, somewhere with your master you must go.  Hm?"  Master Elzan released his force hold on Olisan, and he walked over to Thomas, a bit angry and annoyed.
"All right master," he said sarcastically, "enlighten me with the ways of peace."


"Thank you young man."
"Of course ma'am."  The old lady walked off with a bundle of clean clothes and fresh food in a basket away from Olisan's station.  They were helping hand out supplies to refugees who were sent to Courascant who wished to either escape the raging battles or the violent mobs of people against the Republic.  Today was an especially busy day as a whole Star Destroyer full of people landed and helped get people re-located.  A family of three had been taken in by Thomas' mother per her request and she started a movement in her neighborhood to help people like this family.  As the day came to a close, Thomas was helping the other volunteers take down the booths with the force, when he saw Olisan staring out the window in a bit of a daze.  Thomas walked over to him and placed his hand on his shoulder.
"How did today feel?"
"I still didn't see the point, but I did see all the pain of those people that came here today.  I feel like I need to do what I can to end this war as quickly as possible.  And I can't do that from here.  I need to be out there master.  With the men at war."  Thomas sighed a little.  Then he looked up into the sky.
"You know Olisan, I actually came from Earth.  And there, nothing is given.  You have to earn what you have to survive.  But whenever a humanitarian group came to our world and gave us clean clothes, fresh food, and toys for children, those were the happiest days of my life.  Because I knew that somewhere out in all the madness of life, there was somebody who cared.  And they would take the time to make sure that you recognized that they knew you were there and not just trash to be thrown away.  It always gives people hope for the future."
"Hope for the future huh?  What's the point if the threat they are running away from just comes here to attack us and destroy us all?"  Olisan left for the Jedi Temple leaving Thomas alone.
"Don't let him get to you sir Jedi."  Thomas turned and saw one of the volunteers behind him.  "What you and your Padawan did today makes a lasting impression.  I remember.  I too, came from a planet of poor people.  And I remember such days as the one you mentioned in you story.  They too, were the best days of my life.  So don't let todays youth get to you."
"How can't I?  I'm still technically a youth myself."  They both laughed, said their thanks and Thomas made his way over to his mothers home.  When he stepped inside, he saw the guest family all having fun in the living room while his mother was making dinner.  He walked over to her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
"Weren't you supposed to be here 20 minutes ago young man?  You're late."
"A Jedi is never late my lady."  Thomas said, impersonating Sir Ian from Lord of the Rings.  "Neither is he early.  He arrives right when he plans to."  They both laughed, his mother put down her cooking tools and gave Thomas a big hug.  He helped her finish dinner after that, then sat down with the family.  They all enjoyed each other then each did their own thing.  The Videoboard was playing a cartoon for the child and Thomas stepped outside onto the balcony.  His mother lived in a house apartment building.  One apartment was the equivalent of a two-story house on earth.  The father of the child stepped out and joined him.  They didn't say much.  They just stared out at the sunset.  Then, the father broke the silence.
"My daughter was asking when we were going home.  I told her as soon as the Jedi deal with the bad men back on our planet.  She then asked me how long that would take.  I told her I don't know.  I don't suppose you know, do you?"
"I'm sorry.  We're doing the best we can.  But it seems the people believe more in the Sith Lords than they do the Republic.  All I can hope is that more people like you who still believe in us can help them realize what true peace is, and we can all go home."  The father smiled, then walked back inside.  Thomas looked up into the sky, thinking about what lied ahead for him and his new Padawan.  It wasn't going to be easy, but he wasn't going to back down.  Not now, not ever.


© 2014 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Okay, I'm about to start college, so chapters will come out whenever I can make them. I also might be writing a bit more poetry overtime. Just keep up with me, and I'll see what I can do!
Tell me what you think with a review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good writing, the good thing is story progress and not becoming stuck in a place. Loved it and I will keep on reading.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
1 Review
Added on August 25, 2014
Last Updated on August 25, 2014
Tags: Star Wars, sci-fi, parody


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.