Chapter 2: The Earth

Chapter 2: The Earth

A Chapter by Miles W.
"

Chapter 2 of Burning Shadows

"

The shuttle finally landed at the Columbus Space Port after a twenty minute flight. The automated flight attendant came on and sent a trash collection droid to collect all the small complementary drink cups that nobody really drank at all. Once the ship landed, it was about three in the afternoon, and the high school classes had just let out for the day, and some of them were heading out to the ships to leave the planet. Thomas and Michal got to their cars in the parking lot and said goodbye. Thomas was about to pull out of the lot when he noticed Faith walking very slowly. He pulled up next to her and rolled down his window.
“Hey, you need a lift back home?”
“I'm good. My mom is going to pick me up in a few minutes. Thanks though.”
“Okay. Take care. And, I'm sorry about earlier.”
“What do you need to be sorry for? It wasn't your fault that my boyfriend turns out to be a cheating scumbag and tried to kill me and... and...” Thomas could tell she was trying to hold back tears.
“All right Faith. I'll go. If you ever need to talk to somebody, you know where I live.”
“Hard not to. I can see your backyard from my room.” Thomas laughed a little bit at that, then drove off. Faith's family lived in the house right behind Thomas' due to the fact that her grandparents lived right next to his home. He drove across the old highways and roads under gray skies that looked like nothing more than smog. He finally got back to his house and unlocked the door. His father was still at his job and his mother was passed out on the couch. His father was a bank teller for the Intergalactic Bank which meant he usually had a gun pointed at his head every other day. His mother was a struggling grade school teacher who made most of the families income since father's pay was always being withheld to compensate the stolen money. Thomas put his Jedi equipment on his bed and grabbed his high school stuff. While he was at the Jedi Academy, he was still required to complete a normal High School education, which meant taking classes around four in the afternoon to 10 at night. Thomas gave his mother a kiss, made sure that dinner wouldn't burn, grabbed a power bar, and made his way back to the car. He looked over at Faith's house. He didn't know what was going on in there, but he assumed she was crying. He wanted to comfort her, but he knew this rough road ahead for her should not have anyone interfering. He hopped into his old clunker of a car and drove off. Ever since Earth became a part of the Republic, the planet economically and environmentally died off as people with enough money moved off world to live a better life. Earth had nothing to offer when the Republic landed, so it became a slums planet. Not just because of their lack of technological advancement, but also because the magnetic field of Earth inhibited anyone on the planet from using the force. Because of that, Jedi ambassadors come to Earth every year and take a midi-chlorian test on the high school freshmen to see if they are able to use the force when they venture beyond the magnetic field of Earth. Thomas' class was an exceptional group of students setting a record for the most Earth students to ever enter the Jedi Academy. Thomas finally rolled up to the school and locked his car, and hoped that some bum wouldn't break his window and find nothing for the millionth time. His first class that day was history with the most boring teacher in the world. He literally taught the exact same way as the teacher from Ferris Beuller's Day Off.


“In 2034, the planet Earth was visited by, anyone? Anyone? The Galactic Republic. They landed in New York City, London, and, anyone know the third city? Anyone? Moscow, Russia. Does anyone know the reason why they landed on Earth? Anyone? To free a captive alien Jedi that the old United Nations had hidden from the media and the world. Does anyone know why they stopped? Anyone? Because the Earth formed a pact with them that they would give the Jedi back if they let the Earth in on the Republic Council. As time went on, does anyone know what we soon discovered? Anyone? That the original Star Wars trilogy was actually a dramatic re-telling of historic documents that were found by George Lucas out in the desert. Making all of the spin-offs and sequels completely irrelevant, as well as the dramatic version all together. Does anyone know the actual story? Anyone? Anakin Skywaker never lived on Tatooine, but rather grew up on Alderann, and he also had a brother. While Anakin turned to the dark side, his brother Owen was a Jedi, but died by the hands of Palpatine during his coup of the old Republic. The Sith were never so constrained by the presumed rule of two, but rather could form large groups of Sith in order to counteract the Jedi. When Luke Skywalker became of age, his father Owen trained him to be a Jedi, he joined the Jedi Rebellion of the last of the Jedi to fight against the Sith Regime. When he confronted Darth Vader, or Anakin Skywalker, he didn't hesitate on killing him, then destroyed the Emperor. Does anybody know how the nerds at the time reacted? Anyone? They were upset because they thought that doing such things meant the person was to turn to the dark side since at the time Earth didn't know the true nature of the Force. Does anyone not know the true power of the Force? Anyone?”


Nobody answered any of the teachers questions the entire class. When the ending bell rang for the last time that day, Thomas gratefully packed all of his stuff, then drove back home. As he pulled out of the parking lot, he noticed Faith again, slowly walking towards her mother's car with a sad look on her face. He was tempted again to try and talk to her, but let her be. He pulled into his driveway, and locked the car in the flimsy garage for the night. As he walked into his house, he saw that his mother had gotten up and was crying her eyes out. Thomas rushed over to her to find out what was the matter. When she pointed to the telephone, he immediately went to the most recent voice mail.

“Mrs. Watson, we at the Intergalactic Bank regret to inform you that your husband has been shot by a criminal during a bank robbery today. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and you can expect a compensation check coming in the mail soon for services rendered by your husband. Thank you for choosing the Intergalactic Bank.” Thomas threw the phone against the wall, shattering it into a million pieces.
“Those JERKS! Treating him as just another lost droid or something. He may not have meant a lot to them, but he was my FATHER!” He raged for a few minutes more, then collapsed into tears with his mother. They both fell asleep on the couch, not waking up until nine in the morning. Thomas was late for his training at the Jedi Academy, and his mother was late for another day of teaching. Neither of them cared. They both stayed home wallowing in their own misery and pain. Around three in the afternoon, Thomas decided to take a walk. He went down to the creek close to his house. It was one of the few streams that hadn't been overrun with pollution yet. He always came here to clear his mind and pray. His family was one of the last few who still believed in Christianity rather than in the Force. He always wondered sometimes if God would be able to forgive a whole planet for turning their backs on him, and neglecting the planet he gave to them. Thomas sat on the edge of the bank, lost in his thoughts.
“Hey man. I didn't see you at the academy today. What happened? You get sick or something? Or maybe you just don't like me anymore?” Thomas turned around to learn the face of the mysterious sarcastic voice. It was Michal, having just gotten back from his day at the Jedi Academy.
“Not today Michal.”
“Aw... what's wrong? Did Faith make you feel bad about yourself again? Or maybe you...”
“MY FATHER IS DEAD MICHAL!” Thomas yelled while getting up quickly. “SO SHUT YOUR TRAP RIGHT NOW OR SO HELP ME...” Michal immediately dropped the sarcastic look on his face and now wore one that was a mix between shock and sadness.
“Dude...you're serious? Holy crud, I am an inconsiderate jerk. I am so sorry.”
“No, you didn't know. I had no right to snap at you.” Thomas said as he sat back down. Michal sat down next to him on the shore.
“Don't give me that crud. You told me to stop bugging you, and I persisted. I'm sorry man.”
“Thanks dude. It's all right. We've been friends for years. If I didn't forgive you now, then you didn't deserve to forgive me for bugging you when your mom died.”
“Thanks man. And again, I'm really sorry.” They sat there on the banks of the creek for a few minutes without saying a word.
“Dude, if your mom starts dating my dad, our friendship is officially over.” Michal said trying to lighten the mood. To this Thomas laughed a little bit, but still felt a bit down. The two friends gave each other a hug, then made their way back to their homes. As Thomas made his way back up the hill, he noticed Faith sitting on an old tree stump.
“You doing okay?”
“Yeah I'm doing just great. Yesterday was the best day of my life. I don't know how it could get any better.” she said sarcastically. Thomas sat himself down next to the stump even though the ground was a bit damp.
“Just leave me alone Thomas. Please, just leave me be.”
“Believe me, I know the pain that life brings. Especially yesterday night. My father was killed in a bank robbery yesterday.” Faith was silent for a moment, looking down at the ground.
“I'm sorry.”
“And I'm sorry for what happened to you yesterday at the academy. I wished it weren't true. But what you said, how long have you known that I liked you?”
“Oh, I'd say since the beginning of the year.”
“That obvious huh?”
“Yeah. You really were pathetic.”
“Believe me, I know.” They laughed a little bit, then the awkwardness set in.
“Thomas, you don't think that just because I just broke up with Jackson means that you can ask me out, do you?”
“Of course not. I don't think it would be wise considering what just happened to you yesterday. I am a patient man, and I am willing to wait. When you get over it, and you feel like you would be happier with someone else, then I understand completely. So please, take your time.” Faith smiled, then walked off. Thomas rose to his feet, and made his way back to his house. As he got inside, he found his mother, still sitting on the couch, not having moved since the probably got the news of her husbands death. He sat himself down next to her, letting her know he was there. He told her about his chance of being accepted into the Jedi Council, and that he was still unsure. She just sat there, completely unaware of anything he said. Thomas got up, then went up to his room. It wasn't much, just a dinky little room that had belonged to one of his ancestors. The only reason they had this house was because it was in the family, so they were lucky enough to have a roof over their heads unlike most people on Earth. He stared long and hard at a picture of his family and Michal's family all having a good time for a change. When they were children, Thomas' father made enough money to support all of them. Now, he was gone, the world as he knew it had gone off and died in a hole, and everybody from Earth to the Republic thought he was crazy for still believing in Christ. As he looked out the window, he saw the sky part for a split second revealing some blue sky, but then it just closed right back up again. Everything on this planet seemed to be dead. He didn't know what to do. If he joined the Council, then he could get off this rotting planet and do something with his life. If he declined, he would first have to complete another year of high school, which meant another year on this planet. But it also meant another year with his best friend and the woman he cared about. Also, with his mom struggling the way she was, she would need him there to support her. Then he decided to pray about it, and after a good night's sleep, he made his decision.



© 2014 Miles W.


Author's Note

Miles W.
Please give me critical feedback.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it! There are some structure problems and a lot of your Sentences start with Thomas. A friendly suggestion (and I don't know if this works for you or if it is accurate info) when I read my own work, I try to play it out like a movie. Also, I try to use different words all the time (ex. Neck, Throat, Spine under the head or anything made up) and try to describe it instead of telling.

I really liked the story though! Keep it up :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nice critical hanger, the story is going great, the story did leap forward a lot with the main protagonist now left with a choice. What's he gonna choose???

Will read the next chapter when I will be back home, going out now.
Nice chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 26, 2014
Last Updated on June 2, 2014
Tags: Star Wars, sci-fi, parody


Author

Miles W.
Miles W.

Columbus, OH



About
I am a recent graduate with a degree in Film Production. My dream is to become a film director, creating my own stories. I love writing stories and fan fiction. Please check it out, share and revie.. more..

Writing
Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Miles W.