4. Apologies and Arrivals

4. Apologies and Arrivals

A Chapter by Kimberly Miller

     I awoke rather early that morning, glancing quickly to make sure the sun was up before rising myself and getting ready. After changing into a blue and brown dress with a white hat, I hurried out my bedroom door to prepare a little bit of breakfast. To be honest, I really wanted to repay Trigger for saving my life and dealing with my immature behavior. And also to help ease my embarressment over the whole situation.


Sure, I was only eighteen and fresh from losing my parents but did that really excuse my rash behavior over a wolf? I thought not. It wasn't like it was staring me down in a corner or had its teeth at my throat. It was outside my window and the door into the bunkhouse had been safely latched and locked. Surely Trigger thought over me as an immature teen who thought she was "the bee's knee's". Well, I certainly didn't want to leave him with that impression.


I hurried over to the pantry to see what kind of food it might contain that I might manage to get past as breakfast. After about 15 minutes of studying its near-empty shelves, I found a rather stale half-eaten loaf of bread, some kind of jelly which I figured must still be edible and, of all things, a potato.....


It looked like it had been picked or recent added to the pantry shelves so I decided to give it a try. Half an hour later, a plate of piping hot hash browns lay next to the stale bread and slightly molded bread. Satisfied that I had made the best of the situation, I calmly and gently tapped on Triggers door.


It was only a few seconds till it swung open. I was surprise to realize that this was actually the first time I had taken a real good look at him. He was quite tall, and had a large, round belly with a long, dark beard that covered some of it. He had dark brown, almost dirty looking hair and his clothes were a bit torn and tattered but something else caught my eye. His smile. It was as if the whole world had no meaning until he smiled so kindly, politely showing me his coffee stained teeth.


He had that grandfather feeling about him. It was almost as if I expected him to sit down and pull me up in his lap and tell me stories of when he was a little boy. It was then that I realized I had just been standing there staring while he was waiting to see what I wanted for bugging him so early. My cheeks flushed a bright scarlet as I ducked my head and said softly "I managed to make breakfast and thought you might be hungry".


He smiled and it gave me enough courage to continue.

" It's also sort of an apology for........last night". I finished, muffling the last words. My embarressment got worse. But before I knew what was happening he swept me up in a huge grandfatherly bear-hug.


"Thank ya", he whispered softly next to my ear, his fuzzy beard tickling.


I smiled and led him over to the table. I caught his face change from a pleasant to rather surprised look as he studied his breakfast but he said nothing, simply picking up his fork and digging in.


"Mmmmhmm".


I looked up.


"This is right tasty".


I smiled and nodded.


No other words were exchanged that breakfast. None were needed. We had come to an understanding of each other. In that secret and private way.


After breakfast, I finished the dishes and tidied up the bunkhouse while Trigger got the horses and began to load and ready the stagecoach. A soon as I finished, I locked the door behind me, hid the key in a near-by plant, that seemed rather expected, and allowed Trigger to help me into the coach. I studied the bunkhouse and reminisced the simple memories it held as I felt his weight shift the stage and before I knew it, we were off. I was finally on the last leg of my journey.


We arrived in Pepper Creek by mid-afternoon. My heart quickened its pace as I caught sight of the little houses on the outskirts of town. I smiled and waved to a small group of children as we past by, their little faces changing from surprise to joy as the waved back. I could have sworn I heard a chuckle escape Trigger as we past them. Soon we began passing larger buildings.


I caught sight of a lovely, little white church that sat on the top of hill, as if it demanded the attention of the people it overlooked. Then we came into town. It was rather small but on a gorgeous, sunny day like today, there were quite a few people milling around, shopping and socializing. There was a general store, that went by the name of Brown, a Mill, a Mr. Josiah Lehman, who was the Doctor, a Post Office, a town stable and a few other small stores.


I took it all in stride and studied each little nook and corner deeply until the stagecoach stopped and I felt Trigger leap down. My nerves got the best of me as I watched him round the horses and stretch his hand to open the door. I swallowed and inhaled, hoping it would calm me as he swung open the door and reached in to grasp my hand.



© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on January 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 10, 2015


Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing