3. Changes and Challenges PT 2

3. Changes and Challenges PT 2

A Chapter by Kimberly Miller

     "Mmmfff," I cried as the stagecoach hit yet another pot hole, sending me flying inches into the air and landing with a sound "thump!" This summed up my last five days rather well. If it had not been for Mothers persistance that I learn detailed sewing a few months back, I can honestly say that I would have died from boredom. Unfortunately, my driver, who's name was Trigger, wasn't much for conversation, not that there was much to be said between us. And the loud clopping of horses hooves made it nearly impossibly to hear anything under a panther scream so I knew I was on my own.


I kept my attention locked on my fingers, watching them weave a silver needle threw the thick calico bonnet. I had managed to grab a few items that needed to be stitch from my luggage at our last stop and now my fingers were content to stitch up every last item of clothing I had if I saw fit. I sighed and setting down my sewing, leaned over and studied the view. It was contantly changing, I noticed the first day.


First there was the strong, graceful mountains of Kentucky, standing tall against the sky-blue background. Then by day two or three, the mountians had died off and gave way to copper fields and wide prairie grass as far as the eye could see. A smile graced my lips as I turned back to my sewing. "Surely", I thought, "My Auntie will be glad to welcome me to this strange countryside."


"She's probably involved in the church and community work, and she probably teaches some musical instrument, and I would bet she has the most unusual and lovely little home," I decided in my mind.


My Auntie and myself were just bound to be the best of friends and the greatest of helpers to each other.


"She probably has lots of pets such as cats and dogs and lives on a huge ranch, with numerous farm animals," I mused. Hoping that somehow she would share my love of animals.


"She's bound to be involved in the highest country clubs and be the pride and joy of high society," I mumbled.


"She'll be the perfect Auntie," I confirmed.


"She couldn't be anything less, could she?"


"Woah," I heard Trigger cry as he stopped the horses and leaped from the high seat of the stagecoach. I twisted and stretched, surprised to find that I had dozed off in the middle of my imagening. It was dusk and the golden rays of the sun were begining to fade away as Trigger open the stagecoach door and held out his hand to help me down.


Grasping his big hand tightly, I lifted my skirts and allowed him to lead me safely out of the wagon and onto the hard ground.

"There ya go, Ma'am," he said pleasantly as he let go of my hand and reached into the stagecoach to grab my handbag. I nodded my head as he handed it to me and turned to take in my surrondings.................or lack thereof.


A small sigh escaped my lips which Trigger must have heard as he spoke once more saying " Ya know, tomorrow we will be arriving in Pepper Creek, Kansas,"


"Pepper Creek?" I nearly sqealed in delight.


"Yes'um".


Finally, we were only miles from my aunt's home, and my future.


Trigger settled the horses and led me into the small bunkhouse. They had hundreds of these little houses all along trails so people and stagecoaches could stop and rest at night. I smiled thankfully after glancing into the pantry, someone had been here not too long ago and left some beef jerky, fresh water, crackers, and some kind of canned foods ready for us hungry travelers.


 I prepared some hot coffee with the water and some coffee beans I'd brought with me. The way Trigger chugged his cup every evening made me think he didn't get to much and was grateful for every drop.  


I then began to prepare the canned food, which turned out to be some sort of beefy soup. As I heated it in the pot, Trigger came up behind me, and while laying his hand on my shoulder, and said  Not hungry, just wondering if you would pack up most of that beef jerky in the pantry?"  


"For the trip tomorrow, as a little snack". And with a smile, he walked into one of the back rooms and shut the door softly. I grinned and hurried to throw some of the hardened beef into a soft, leather pouch of mine before returning my attention to the heating soup. After downing a small bowl, I grabbed my handbag and made my way to other the room opposite Trigger's.


Closing the door firmly behind me, I began to study the room thoroughly. It was rather small, with one bed, a small table and dresser. To my left, was the only window in the room. As I went to pull the curtains, I heard a rather loud and high-pitched howl from the shady darkness. I jumped and flew from my room, nearly upsetting the small table in the process.


I shot out of my room and raced over to Trigger's door and began pounding on it with all my might.


"TRIGGER!!!"


I nearly screamed as another howl came from the inky darkness, only closer.


"Wh-what?"


Trigger said as he opened his door.


"I......I heard something".


"Your telling me?" he said shocked. "I heard you too honey but you outta...."


"No, no, no" I yelled, "You don't understand".


"I heard a howl".


With those words, Trigger's face took a darker look and he turn and went back into his room. I was about to step closer and repeat myself, in case he hadn't heard me when he returned once more, with a rifle at his side. I swallowed and stepped back a couple of paces, giving him room to make his way to the door. He signaled me with his hand to stay back. I hurried behind a chair and watched with wide eyes as Trigger straightened his back and shoulders, swung open the door and stepped out.


I listened closely for a few minutes before noise erupted. There was a long, sad howl and a scuffling noise, as if something was walking around out there, something beside Trigger. Then there was yelling and snarling sound and two gunshots vibrated through the air. Forgetting Trigger's command, I raced from behind my chair and threw open the door.


Just a few feet away lay a dead wolf and on the other side stood Trigger, staring down upon it. When he heard me open the door, he began to walk in my direction. As if reading my questioning look, he said" Wolf's dead, you can go back to sleep, I'll take care of it". And with that he turned his attention to the carcass.


I slowly walked back into the bunkhouse and into my room. I lay myself gently on the bed, my hands resting on my stomach as I felt my heartbeat rapidly against my ribcage. "I'm going to need a gun", I mumbled to myself as I turned over and feel asleep.



© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A bit of excitement, though I'm not sure why he would kill a wolf that wasn't threatening them.


Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Added on January 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 10, 2015


Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing