10. Roughness and Rescues

10. Roughness and Rescues

A Chapter by Kimberly Miller

I awoke the next morning feeling refreshed and very excited for the days events. As I began to twist my hair into a bun, I remember Trooper and I had set no time or meeting place at which to then go to my aunt's home. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I finished with my hair and hurried to change. Throwing on an older working dress, I grabbed a few things and flew out of the room.


How was I going to get to Trooper? I didn't even know where he lived, much less where my aunt lived. Could I trust someone to take me there? Thoughts swirled in my mind as I made my way to the lobby.


"Morn'n Miss Holden" called Mr. Harris, from behind his desk. Come to think of it, I don't believe I had ever seen him out from behind that desk.


"Morning Mr. Harris" I called back pleasantly. Then an idea struck me.


"Mr.Harris, would you be so kind as to direct me to the town stable?"


"Course, go out the doors, turn left and go down bout two blocks, you'll come to it, its on the left side of the street"


"Thank you" I called back.


I walked out the doors and turned in the direction Mr. Harris had provided, not realizing this particular path took me directly past the most popular saloon in town,


The Spittoon


I innocently continued down the wooden planks, keeping a close eye out for the stable. It wasn't until I caught sight of three rather rugged looking men who seemed rather tipsy that I realized my mistake, one realized too late.


"Well lookie here boys, we got ourself a real fine young lady come just to visit us ," one of them called.


"Perhaps she is part of the entertainment," called another.


"Please, just...............just let me pass" I said softly trying desparately to keep as much distance between them and myself as I past while also trying to stay on the wooden planks.


Suddenly, one of the boards came loose and I almost flipped backward onto the street but a rough hand caught me by the arm and swung me back harshly.


"Let go of me" I cried, now fearful.


"I just rescued you little lady, I believe I outta get me a reward, don't you agree boys?" the one who had me by the arm yelled to his friends.


They laughed and I tried to pull away but the man's grasp was tight. I twisted and tugged but to no avail. As I repeatedly tried, my mind raced. I wasn't the only one out on the street, why did no one else help?


Suddenly, the man's grip tightened and he began twisting my arm in such a fashion that forced me to allow him to twirl me, so as to prevent him from ripping my arm clean off.


"Hey boys, we got ourselves a ballerina" he cried, continuing to twist and spin me round and round until the whole world seemed to have joined in this swaying motion. Faster and faster he went, my arm began to ache painfully, my head spun. Not being able to catch my breath darkness was closing in, my vision blacking out when suddenly, I was jolted away from the man, my arm wrenched free and I felt myself falling, into a strong pair of arms.


Panic seized me as I thought one of the man's drunken friends had decided it was his turn. I began twisting and turning once more, in an effort to free myself. This man had his arms wrapped around my waist which also held my wrists down.


"Hey, hey, your alright Tara" a gentle voice called.


Only few people knew me here by my name. My head shot up to meet the eyes of my captor, they were blue.


And I sank into his arms in relief.


"Trooper" I said wearly.


"Your alright, don't talk, I'm taking you to Doc Lehman's" he said quickly, and before I could argue, I felt myself being lifted up and carried away.


"Well Troop, looks like she just got into a little scrap, good thing you came along when you did though. She'll be alright, that bruise on her upper arm will color real nice but other than that, I think she'll make a full recovery," Doc Lehman said to Trooper, trying to calm him down as I finished dressing myself in a separate room.


"You sure Doc,"  Trooper asked, concern still evident in his voice.


"Sure Troop, she's a tough one."


I entered the room they occupied and as soon as Trooper saw me, he rushed over and wrapped one arm around my waist, the other holding my hand as he led me to a chair. Setting me down, he knelt next to me and asked gently,


"Are you alright Tara?"


"I think so," I said, although I was a little unsure myself.


"Tara, we are just gonna forget your aunt's house for today and I'm going to take you back to the hotel and you are gonna........."


"No Trooper, I don't feel that bad, besides, I already told Josie to expect us today," I argued.


"Josie can wait Tara, I'm more concerned about you and...."


"Please Trooper, I really feel fine and I promise the moment that I begin to feel poorly, I'll let you know, but I have just got to get to Aunt Margaret's today" I said.


Trooper looked at Doc as if for an OK. Doc nodded his head and smiled.


"Alright Tara, you win" Trooper relented.


"Good, now how about......." but before I was able to finish, Trooper had swept me off the chair and was carrying me towards the door.


"Trooper, I hardly think that this is necessary........"


"Uh.........Trooper" Doc called from behind us.


"She can walk"


"Right" Trooper said, gently putting me down but keeping his hand on my back as we walked out of the office.


"Ah.....young love" Doc Lehman said as he smiled and closed the door.



© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on January 28, 2015
Last Updated on February 22, 2015


Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing