7. Catastrophes and Christians

7. Catastrophes and Christians

A Chapter by Kimberly Miller

Only a few short minutes had passed until I saw Trooper coming into view, sitting high on his buckboard. I smiled as  he stopped in front of me and as I began to climb my way up, I was suprised to see him leap off the buckboard and hurry behind me.


"Um..........what are you.........." I began but before I could finish, I felt two strong arms grasp my waist and lift my high onto the buckboard. So high in fact, that I had to simply place my feet down instead of continuing the climb.


 By the time I was seated, he climbed in beside me, turned to give me a wink, and snapped the leather strap, giving the horses their command.


Our ride was very relaxing and smooth. I was amazed at his ability to control a team that way, with such skill as to make distance but not feel like rushing.


"So.....where does you aunt live again?" he asked


"107......Willow Lane" I replied, impressed I'd remembered it.


"Alright, well, I think this is were we turn," he said, before guiding the horse onto a dirt road.


There was no words to describe the scenery. The trees leaves reflected the light from the sun in such a way that they themselves seemed to be glowing overtop of us. A breeze picked up and gently shifted the trees, making them sway with grace and elegance. The long, high prairie grass swirled and rocked back and forth, almost as a mother would rock her child. The crystal-clear sky even seemed to still be welcoming me.


"I don't believe I have ever seen anything like it," I said softly to myself, studying the nature around me.


"I guess each day, God gives us a new surprise with every sun-up," Trooper said.


"You believe in God", I surprised, not that I was upset, just that he didn't seem the type to be religious.


"Yes, of course, don't you?" he said, a quizzical.


"Yes, but I guess I was surprised that you do," I replied, rather embarressed.


"Why, don't I seem like a God-fearing man?" he questioned I could have sworn I picked up just a hint  of anger in his voice.


"Oh no, its just that I figured that being way out west here and..................being a farmer and all, you might not have even had a preacher......" I said softy.


"So..........farmers can't be good, Godly people?" There was no mistaking the anger this time.


I sighed and began,


"No, it isn't that, I just assumed, wrongly, that being way out here and in the middle of nowhere, that you wouldn't have heard a preacher, much less be a believer."


I suddenly turned away from his face and said,


"I'm.......I'm sorry, I didn't mean to question your faith or your word."


I felt him lay his hand on my shoulder again, and his voice was evident of repentence and sorrow,


"I'm sorry to come to a false accusation too, I though you were questioning my faith because I was a farmer and that's not at all what you were doing...."


"Forgive me?"


"Sure,"


"Forgive me?"


"Absolutely," he said, grinning.


I smiled back and turned my attention to a rather large house that had come into view.


"I think this is it," he said, slowing the team and pull by the front of the house before stopping. While I waited for him to help me down off the buckboard, I studied the backyard and surrounding area. It had a rather large view from behind, with a barn or two and a couple of smaller buildings for random storage or slave quarters. Trees must have been planted not long after someone moved here because large, majestic oaks dotted the property, a rather odd comparison to the rest of the tree-less grassland.


Trooper held out his hands and I grasped them but he shook me off, surprised and a bit distressed, I turned my attention to him but before I knew what he was doing, he had me by the waist and was lowering me onto the ground.


"You alright Tara?" he asked.


"Oh......um.....sure" I said hastily, not wanting to explain my pale face nor my surprised look. Tucking a strand of hair back in place, I smoothed my skirts and headed to the large, oak door. My heart beat rapidly against my chest as I got closer, stepping on the wrap-around porch as stood face-to-face with the door. I took a deep breath and raised my hand.


Knock. Knock. Knock-Knock.


I cringed thinking that I had knocked too hard. My breathing picked up even more as I heard distance footsteps closing in.


"Thump, Thump, Thump, Thump.


Trooper must have sensed my nervousness as he gently touched my hand.


The door swung open with a creak and there in the doorway stood a tall, slim girl who looked to be around my age.


"A cousin?" I wondered.


She took a step closer, her eyes shifting to Trooper, then me and back to Trooper again. She must have been intimated by him because she didn't take her eyes off him, nor the suspious look on her face.


"Can I help you?" she said politely, still eyeing Trooper.


"Yes," I said pleasantly.


"I'm looking for my Great-Aunt, Margaret Lewis?"


"Oh dear," the girl breathed, her hand rushing to her face, covering her mouth.


I took a step forward and said,


"Is something wrong?"


The girl didn't answer my question but simply signaling me in. I walked in and found Trooper and myself in a sitting room. It was quite large with two small couches and three neatly arranged chairs. There was beautiful carpet and gorgeous curtains that hung from the huge, four windows overlooking the front of the house. Trooper and myself each took a chair while the girl took a couch, still staring at Trooper and me.


I believe it was beginning to work on Trooper because he turned to face the girl and said,


"So what seems to be the problem?"


I also began to look at her imploringly.


"Well, you see my name is Josie, and I am your Great-Aunt's maid and compainion."


"Oh," I said.


" Continue," Trooper insisted.


"Well, you see, Ms. Lewis past away last month and......"


I heard no more. My eyes fell to my lap, a sinking feeling began in my stomach and my eyes filled with tears.


"How could this happen?"


"I was counting on her, my family, my only family!"


"What am I going to do?!"


Josie was still talking and I think she was the only one listening. I was in tears and Trooper had begun to notice.


"Is there someone, Tara and I can talk....privately?" Trooper asked, emphasizing the last word.


"Yes, of course," Josie replied, and began to leave the room. Trooper lifted my elbow and with one arm wrapped around my waist, led me beside him.


She led us down a small hall and then into what looked like an office room.


"Just call when your done," she said, more to Trooper than me.


"And feel free to take your time," she called behind her as she left.


Trooper led me to a chair and sat me down. He then squatted right in front of me, staring up at me with his big blue eyes.



© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
Added on January 22, 2015
Last Updated on February 10, 2015


Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing