12. Buggy's and Broken Bones

12. Buggy's and Broken Bones

A Chapter by Kimberly Miller

     I awoke the next morning, sat up and stretched, when it dawned on me what had happened last night. I got up off the bed and stood up quickly, almost as if I thought someone was in the room. I was still slightly mad and slightly embarrassed about the whole thing. As I got myself a glass of cold water, I began to think.


Trooper was probably done with me, he wouldn't want to speak to me again, much less help today or any other day for that matter, but could I blame him? I was such a fool to bring up the whole subject. Sighing, I set my cup down and began to plan. I would rent a small buggy to carry my things from the hotel after I had checked out and head to Aunties place.


We didn't really need Trooper, he was just being nice. I'm sure Josie knows where some old guns and ammunition were kept so that would work fine for keeping us safe. And we could hire our own men to do the ranch work. Everything would turn out all right, or so I tried to convince myself.


I hurried to change into a fresh dress. I searched and searched through my luggage till I found my striking navy blue dress with tiny white polka dots. Dawning on my white hat with a blue ribbon wrapped around it and my hair in a rather simple braid, I grabbed some of my smaller bags and headed down to the lobby.


"Morn'n" Mr. Harris called from behind his desk, which  I had now decided that he really didn't ever leave from behind.


"Morning" I replied, less pleasant than I wanted it to be.


"You um, you alright?" he asked me.


"What?" I said, not understanding his question.


"Well, I heard some awful ruckess last night and I thought my hotel had fallen to pieces around my bed."  " My Sarah knew better but I just had to see for myself, so I climbed outta bed and when I got out here, I saw Troop walking out, mumbling something to himself the whole way."


My face lit up as bright as a Christmas tree.


"Great", I thought to myself, "The whole darn town is gonna know."


"Um....Mr. Harris, I just came to say that I'll be moving out today," I said.


"Oh" he said, looking surprised. "Well, thanks for telling me, and I hope you had a good stay."


 I almost said yes, but then again, due to last night's events, it had rather spoiled the whole thing so I just nodded and left. Figuring out a different path to the stable than the one I has used yesterday, I was able to rent a buggy of decent size and after loading my belongings, I headed out.


Before long the sun's bright rays drilling their deep heat into my back and I lifted my hat and whipped the top of my hair.  Sweat beads gathered at my forehead and I was wished I had the sense to bring my hand-fan with me.


Soon, Auntie's place came into view, and along with it, a sign that read,


Angel Oak Ranch and Stables


I unhitched the horses and led them into the best barn. After feeding them, I returned and grabbed one of my suitcases before making my way to the porch.


Josie threw open the door and nearly crushed me in a deathly bear hug. I yelped to let her know that I couldn't breathe.


"Sorry", she said, tucking her head and tucking a stray hair back before fixing her ponytail. Her hair was a beautiful raven black, so black that coal would looked brown next to it.


"Its alright" I said with a smile.


"Mind helping me get settle"? I asked, motioning toward my bags.


"Not at all, I'm so glad you decided to stay and live here, I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't." she said.


"Hey, what's up with the new sign?" I said.


"Oh, well, I thought that we needed a name, I guess I shouldn't have though, the place ain't mine...."


"No, no its fine, I like it" I said.


"Great."


We eached grabbed a bag and Josie led the way down a hall way and up a staircase. Being I had never been in this far into the house, gave me the full understanding of how big it was.  It almost reminded me of a mansion.


"You know Josie, I've been thinking, we don't really need anybody or Trooper."


"What?" she said, surprise evident in her voice.


"Yeah, I mean, well, how big is this place?"


"Well the main house had about 10 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 kitchens, one main and one secondary, and a few other little odd and end rooms..... then there is a smaller little in-law quarters Ms.Lewis had build on for whatever reason."  "We both knew she wasn't ever getting married."  "Its got two or three bedrooms, a bathroom and nice sized kitchen and living quarters."


"Then there's the 4 slave quarters that haven't been used in quite a while and the 2 barns..... why?" she asked.


"Well, I was just trying to get a better picture of it in my mind." I said.


"Josie, I think we could start this ranch on our own, we don't need them."


Setting down her bag, Josie straighten up and looked me full in the eye.


"Alright, what happened between you and Troop?"


"What?" I asked innocently, "What makes you say tha......"


"Tara, you get a weird look on your face when you say his name, your voice changes and well......you act just like my sister did when she got all riled about him."


At the thought of Elsie, I lost it. Tears streamed down my face as I explained every detail of last night to Josie.


After I had finished, she said,


"Tara, I know you are real sorry but Troop doesn't know that and besides, it ain't like him to hold grudges."


I sniffled.


"Come on, forget about Trooper and lets get your room ready," she said, cheerfully.


She grabbed the bag and flew down the hall, disappearing into one of the rooms.


I laughed and followed her.


As I past through the doorway, the room took my breath away. It was......stunning.


Deep velvet red curtains hung around the two windows in the room as they brushed against the dark brown carpet. Gold and red pillows seemed almost uncountable were placed on the bed, in the most organized fashion. The bed was huge and two dark cherry wood tables sat on either side. To one side was an enormous highboy and huge closet. On the other side was a large desk and chair.


"Oh Josie....its....its...."


"I know," she said.


"That's why I picked it, its the nicest room we got."


After I had finished gloating over the room, we finished lugging up suitcases and Josie help me unpack, completely. It felt liberating to be out of my suitcases.


Afterward, Josie gave me a full tour of the house and close property. It was really quite a work of art but it was going to take some serious work to keep it up and running. She showed me the barns and the pastures, most of which had been let go since Auntie couldn't care for it anymore. All that was needed was a few fixed here and there, some ranch hands and animals. Then we would be in business.


We were finishing up our tour when Josie led me back around to one of the barns.


"Lets go in" I said.


"Alright" Josie agreed.


It was massive. It looked as if it could hold at least 15 horses comfortable. I walked in with awe. Josie leaned against one of the wooden beams and watched my reactions with amusement. I noticed a small piece of paper that seemed to be jammed in one of the window panes high up in the barn. I climbed the loft to get a better look.


"Tara" Josie called from below.


"Hang on" I said.


It was still about five feet up from the loft and about eight feet out. I looked around and took notice of a large beam that stretched out, almost directing past the window. It looked close enough that I could walk out and reach the paper from there.


"Tara" Josie cried, her voice a pitch higher, "What are you doing?"


"I'm.....gonna.......get that.....paper" I huffed, lifting myself up on the beam while it was still over the loft.


"Oh Tara, its probably just a scrap of paper, don't bother" she insisted.


"No, I.....want...to see" I replied.


Josie was now pleading, tears streaming down her face.


"Tara, please, you could fall and break a bone or worse.....please Tara" she cried.


"Hang on" I said, ignoring her words, as I steadied myself before beginning to walk out toward the window.


A horse whinnied in the distance and I was now about four feet away.


"Please Tara, just come back down" Josie yelled. She sounded more angry than I'd ever heard her.


"Wait" I said. I was now close enough that if I could balance myself just for a few seconds, I could reach out and snatch the paper.


"Tara Holden, don't you dare"


I was about to scoff off the voice and reach but then something dawned on me, that wasn't Josie's voice.....it was...


"I said don't."   "Now you get down off of there." Trooper called again. He sounded mad, just like last night.


Instead of listening or at least feeling humility, anger filled me. At least I had acted sorry last night, but here he was spitting fire at me last night and trying to order me around this morning without even so much as a "Hello".


Out of spite, my hand shot out and grasped the paper just as Trooper yelled" NO!"


Suddenly I lost my balance. I tipped backward and fell. All I heard was Josie scream and then my body made impact with the hard ground.


I must had been out for just a second because when I came to, Trooper and Josie were just getting to me. Troper slide almost into me to stop and Josie skidded to her knees next to me. I had fallen on a large but thin pile of hay.


"Mmmmm" I moaned, raising my head.


"Don't move" Trooper ordered, as he began to look me over.


Still angry and not being sarcastic I said,


"Is that all you do?"   "Order people around?" I asked harshly and I knew it, the words cut deep and it showed on Troopers face.


"Ugh" I said, letting my head fall back onto the hay. I couldn't do anything right lately.


"You better go fetch the doc, I'll see what I can do with her," Trooper whispered to Josie.


She took off and soon had one of the horses saddled. The sound of hoofbeats left in her wake.


  I keep my eyes close, afraid I would break into tears from the pain I felt in my ribs and the ache that I knew would touched my heart if I looked at him.


It soon began to hurt too much to breath. My smother-attempted gasps for air soon caught Troopers attention.


"Why didn't you say something" he asked angry, while turning me over and gently shoving his hands behind my back.


The floodwaters opened. Tears streamed down my face and I cried and gasped for more air. Lifting me into a sitting position, he wrapped one arm around my back, keeping me upright and the other, holding my hand.


"I'm.....I'm sorry" I gasped out. Feeling awful for the way I'd acted. So immature and childish, like a little girl.


"Don't talk," he said softly.


Soon the pain became too much, my gaspes were getting deeper and my rib felt like it had pinched something inside of me. I opened my eyes and Trooper's faced was flushed with worry, and I mean he look terrified. I was a bit taken back at it. I must have look awful.


Suddenly, the barn door swung open and Josie rushed in, followed by Doc Lehman.


"You can't stay out of trouble can you, young lady" Doc said, kneeling down beside me as Trooper slide me down on the hard-pack earth.


"Nope" I croaked, and then started a coughing fit that I thought was gonna kill me.


Trooper turned to help Doc and as they lifted me off the ground, I cried out in pain. Black spots dotted my vision as I heard Trooper yell, " We're hurting her"


"Don't have much of a choice,"   "Gotta get her to the house" came a replied which sounded like who I thought was Doc. Soon the whole world seemed to swirl. My stomach did flips and before long, I passed out.



© 2015 Kimberly Miller


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on April 7, 2015


Author

Kimberly Miller
Kimberly Miller

About
Hey! I'm a teen and live in the U.S. I am homeschooled! And loving it! My hobbies are reading, writing, animals (mainly cats), listen to music and audio stories,some sewing, hanging out on Writer's C.. more..

Writing