I Wasn't Ready To Go!

I Wasn't Ready To Go!

A Story by LSS
"

My personal end of Life story.

"

 

          I didn’t really die on Mon. Apr. 16th, 2007 – I was just practicing!

 

          A freak storm left 8” of wet snow covering our cars and drive.  I’ve exercised all winter, hand shoveling the drive, and this time should have been no different.  My daughter, who’s car I was shoveling out, yelled at me, “Dad, you’re going to have a heart attack!”  “I’m fine, I do this all the time.” I responded.  No sooner had she driven away than I realized I was having unusual chest pains (why didn’t she keep her big mouth shut, the little jinks).

 

          As a born-again believer and servant of Jesus Christ, I have not feared death since the moment I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  He freed me and took the penalty for my sins.  And now, as a part of His family, I know I am on my way to heaven.  “But as many as receive Him, to them He gave the right to become the sons of God, even to them who believe on His name.” John 1:12.   Knowing God’s Word to be true, I have not had to worry whether I would be good enough to make heaven – Christ’s death made the way free for me.  “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no man comes to the Father but thru me.” John 14:6.  So when the EMT and Ambulance arrived, though I was in a lot of pain, my only real worries were for my family; Who would take care of my wife and loved ones?  What troubles would I be leaving them with?  For almost 40 years, I carried the responsibility for other’s lives.  Now, I might be leaving them with their own futures to deal with, without my help. 

 

          Can you imagine a man who believes in God’s ability to save his own soul and yet still has doubts about God’s ability to care for those he loves and might leave behind.  But I did.  My wife and children have also trusted Christ to save them from their sins and are also a part of God’s family.  Cannot my great God care for them as he always has me?  Certainly!  Jesus said: “Come unto me all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.” Matt.11:28.  “…I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body as to what you will put on.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not worth much more than they?” Matt.6:25-26. 

 

          By the time I had reflected on all this, my heart had been repaired and a large wildebeest was moving in to replace the elephant that had been sitting on my chest.  I was fairly assured that I would live and could look forward to the next time I visited the CCU.  But I also felt new assurance that, though I personally didn’t want to give up my responsibilities in caring for those I loved, I knew I was really only one of God’s tools, a servant He used to do His work, including caring for my loved ones.  The apostle Paul said the same thing in Philippians 1:20-25; he was being threatened by death at the hands of the Roman emperor Nero, yet he knew that he too would live and continue to be a help to those around him, until another day.  “For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” Phil.1:21.

 

          This is my story!

 

Laurence S. Sherman, ready to live again!

© 2008 LSS


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a wonderful and strengthening example of faith. I find it beautiful and moving. There are two suggestions I would like to make. First, I would suggest marking this as an essay, memoir, or narrative, since the bulk of the material is not based on actual physical events. The expression of your faith is so well put, and the addition of scripture makes it that much more moving and believeable. The second suggestion is to tighten up the grammar and puncuation. But believe your friends and family when they say you should try to get published! I could easily see this as the beginning page of a memoir of your road to faith and all it's done for you. Please, please keep up the good work. I truly look forward to more of your work.

A believer,
Lyndsay

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LSS

6 Years Ago

Thank you Lindsay, you're input is appreciated. Its great to meet some of my other Sisters.



Reviews

"I Wasn't Ready to Go!"
LSS,
Your story is edifying to me. To hear of another's wake up call that the God we serve is very available in the time of death; (you thought.) Brings the rest of our days into focus. Blessed, to be able to see how the everyday events of your life were present with your daughter; shoveling snow and her response.The scripture passages fit right in with our lives and into what you shared. Thank you for sharing your story and testimony. As a person who knows that Jesus is her whole hope and strength it is great to read this!
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is a wonderful and strengthening example of faith. I find it beautiful and moving. There are two suggestions I would like to make. First, I would suggest marking this as an essay, memoir, or narrative, since the bulk of the material is not based on actual physical events. The expression of your faith is so well put, and the addition of scripture makes it that much more moving and believeable. The second suggestion is to tighten up the grammar and puncuation. But believe your friends and family when they say you should try to get published! I could easily see this as the beginning page of a memoir of your road to faith and all it's done for you. Please, please keep up the good work. I truly look forward to more of your work.

A believer,
Lyndsay

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LSS

6 Years Ago

Thank you Lindsay, you're input is appreciated. Its great to meet some of my other Sisters.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
God's love will always carry us through my friend, this I believe!! I remember last year when this happened and I remember all of us worrying about you, all of us who came to know the kind man you are. Happyto be your friend today and always, t

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 8, 2008

Author

LSS
LSS

Syracuse, NY



About
Some time ago, I decided to write a humorous short story to give my wife on our 25th anniversary. The words and illustrations seemed to flow from my memory and imagination, about those early days w.. more..

Writing
Who Am I? Who Am I?

A Poem by LSS



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Unknown Origins Unknown Origins

A Poem by LSS


Straightjacket Straightjacket

A Poem by Ari